July 24, 2014 | 1791 users online

Sunscreen - Chanel - UV Essentiel Protective UV Care Anti Pollution SPF 50

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2011 2:23:00 PM More reviews by riyeu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a fairly good sunscreen. It's light and doesn't make your skin too oily. However, I find it very very pricy and the scent too strong (gives me a headache).

I still like Shisiedo more. Shisiedo gives a better finish (less oily) and the scent (if there is any) is very very light.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2011 5:07:00 AM More reviews by sunkissedbeach

Best sunscreen so far for me. It has zinc oxide and leaves a white cast so you have to keep rubbing it in until the white streaks are gone. When I'm tan this is really quite a challenge. Zinc oxide is a physical UV filter in stead of Avobenzone which is a chemical one. Which means it's non-irritating and good for skin that's prone to acne. And I guess that's true because this hasn't made my skin red or bumpy, like most sunscreens do. In fact, I think my skin has calmed down since I've been using this. It's very drying, but that's a good thing in warm weather because it doesn't melt off your face as easily as some more moisturizing sunscreens do.
Having said that, I still use a moisturizer over this (or sometimes I re-apply this when my skin feels a little dry while the weather is still humid).
I don't really care about the anti-pollution aspect, but I guess it can't hurt.
The price is insane, 40 for 30ml! But yeah I'll keep buying this once a year when it's summer.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2011 2:53:00 AM More reviews by erica420

My favorite sun screen! It has anti-pollution ingredients which is great for a city grl like me! It does get a little bit oily, but not as much as other sunscreens I have tried (expected due to its high SPF).
MY HG sunscreen! The only negatives is that it's scented. I don't see the point of having fragrance in face products unless it smells really horrendous.
I have used SEVERAL different kinds of sunscreens (Lancome, Clarins, Missha, Neutrogena, other Chanel sunscreens). Clarins and this one are my favorites. I'm on the edge between Clarins and Chanel. I think they're pretty similar, but I use this one b/c they market it as anti-pollution and it has a higher SPF

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2011 1:51:00 PM More reviews by Absolutely

A nice lightweight sunscreen, similar to many Asian sunscreens available. I find it a bit shiny on my skin compared to Sofina or Shiseido, possibly due to the sunflower seed extract. I have very oily skin though. I have some breakouts and clogged pores around my cheek area after a few days use but will see if it's due to other factors. Will provide an update later this month.

UPDATE 08.2011:
I have acne prone skin and I've started using BP so I don't get much breakouts anymore. It still makes me look shiner than other primers but I do like the fragrance and the high SPF. It feels less drying/mattifying than Sofina so I will keep this for winter-use.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2011 2:38:00 AM More reviews by ValentinaRUS

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've already bought a backup. This is a wonderful sunscreen, it's very easily absorbed, I use it under my face cream because it has a fluid-like consistency, and my face creams are quite rich. One bottle lasts about 4 months, and I think I will keep repurchasing

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2010 11:09:00 AM More reviews by GabrielleCoCo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using the previous sunscreen also SPF50 from Chanel and this is the newer formulation. Texture wise is a bit more matte than previously but still with an easily absorbed texture. Besides UV protection, this also helps to protect against environmental aggressions and pollution which is an added boon! A normal bottle of this should last me about 6 weeks. Waterbased is fresh even for my oily skin and does not look whitish on me. I feel the price is ok SGD$70 for 30ml which is on par with Clarins and a bit cheaper than Lancome. Never break me out thus will keep on using this for ever and ever!

PS: Works great during sun tanning too. Keeps the face from turning too tanned. Remeber to mix the phases inside well by shaking and rattle the ball bearings inside for a couple seconds.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2010 7:09:00 AM More reviews by Neeeneee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been using this product for about 2 years now, I think it is excellent. It glides on to you face and blends so easily. It is fantastic under makeup and provides great protection. I have very fair skin prone to burning and I use this winter and summer, everyday and have no problems at all. I couldn't do without it!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2010 7:33:00 PM More reviews by honeystix

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Sorry to drag down the stellar ratings for this product, but I want to share my own experience. I have fair skin that has pink undertones and flushes easily (no rosacea, just sensitive). I have been able to wear various sunscreens with Avobenzone, as well as various zinc-based ones without flushing. It all depends of the formulation. Mexoryl generally turns me pink after a while (and shiny!) and titanium dioxide breaks me out, so I vacillate mainly between Avoenzone ones and mineral, generally favoring the former because of their transparency and ease of removal. The Chanel (zinc oxide with octinoxate) sounded so perfect in the below reviews that I had to plunk down the nearly $60 for the teeny bottle. This immediately made me pink and I stayed that way until I washed it off. I guess if you don't have any issues with sensitivity, this one could be a keeper. I just want to warn those of you with reactive skin that this one might turn out to be an expensive mistake, so please purchase from someplace that accepts returns.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2010 6:39:00 AM More reviews by puchokiki

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Very very very good sunscreen. I've tried a lot of different sunscreens mainly from Japanese or Taiwanese brands and this is one of the best I've tried. This is my sister's HG facial sunscreen, so naturally I had to give it a try. :P The texture is very light and velvety and the product absorbs quickly and sits well under make up. It leaves a matte smooth finish, which I love especially in the winter (I tend to associate matte with winter). I don't notice a white cast like some other people, but I am pretty pale. I think this would work well as a make up base. It doesn't sting my eyes at all which is a plus plus plus for me. I've never had any problems with this product clogging my pores or breaking me out. The bottle is small (30ml), but it will still last a very long time and I think most facial sunscreens come in 30ml anyways. One bottle will last me about 2-3 months. The smell reminds me of a scent I would smell on my grandmother, but it doesn't bother me at all. I'm unsure as to how good the staying power of this sunscreen is. I noticed that when I'm wearing it and I sweat a lot (as in going into a steam room. yeah I know gross I should cleanse my face first ^^") I get a white cast on my face (not sure what this means and I should probably research...), but I think all sunscreens recommend users to reapply the product after swimming/etc. etc.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2010 9:55:00 AM More reviews by elizium

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Now I am updating my previous review. I really loved a previous UV from Chanel but a new product is simply the worse thing I've ever tried. It leaves very visible white coverage (even on my very white and pale skin). It is difficult to remove (you have to use make up removers for waterproof cosmetics). It is difficult to apply powder or foundation on top of this product.
Will never ever buy it again! Such a shame for Chanel ((