Chanel Mat Lumiere Luminous Matte Powder Makeup SPF 10

Talc, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Silica , CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, Octyldodecyl Lactate, Caprylyl Methicone, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Isopropyl Isostearate, Lauryl Lactate, Bis Hydroxyethoxypropyl Dimethicone/IPDI Copolymer Ethylcarbamate, Potassium Sorbate, Zinc Stearate , Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Polyisoprene, Zinc Oxide, Tetradibutyl Pentaerithrityl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate ( /-)CI 77019/Mica, CI 77491/CI 77492/CI 77499/Iron Oxides

on 5/5/2010 11:06:00 AM

This foundation is great. I started using foundations again in January and my friend recommended it to me.

First off, the packaging...while I love all Chanel packaging, I feel that they could make this compact less cumbersome. And the velvet pouch doesn't really do its job as my compact slides right out anyway.

Now when it comes to the texture, I was pleasantly surprised by its fine quality. I have combination/oily skin and with a primer it stays on my face all day. It is so finely milled, gives decent coverage, and does not cake up.

I have been using it everyday for the past 4 months and it ran out. I have since tried MAC Studio Fix Powder for a cheaper alternative and I was underwhelmed by the poor quality - I am going back to Chanel for sure.

Overall, I will definitely purchase again - I took off one lippy for the price, but you do get what you paid for!!!!

on 4/27/2010 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Its more like a 3.5 rating. Like the texture and how it goes on easily.
But I have to agree with one of the reviews that it does make the face a little dry. Perhaps it's because of the mattifying moisturiser I used underneath. But when I go without the mattifier, my T-zone starts getting oily a few hours later. A bit pricey but what to do, it's Chanel.
I will continue to use and observe the effects before deciding if I should buy again so it's a maybe at the moment.

Edited = after months later. After switching to a non mattifying moisturiser + started using a primer before putting on the powder, I am loving this product. Find that it brightens my complexion. Updated this to a 4-star. I will defintely buy this again.

on 3/4/2010 5:09:00 AM

I bought this product after reading the excellent reviews on MUA, and because I'm a 'Chanel' girl - every skincare/makeup product I own is always almost Chanel. I must say that I'm not overwhelmed by the performance of this product.

This foundation can be applied either dry or wet. When applied in the dry form, the application is OK, and it blends in quite well. It does appear a little chalky when worn on the under eye, but the application on the rest of the face is good.

When applied in the wet form, the foundation works really well. It smooths out the entire face, giving it an even coloration. The best way to use this foundation would be to use a liquid foundation, and apply this over areas that you need extra coverage.

However, the product is not upto expectations and I would suggest buying this ONLY if you need a powder foundation for extra touch ups during the day/night. Definitely not a must have Chanel product.

on 2/24/2010 11:48:00 PM

I am absolutely disapointed with this expensive and highly rated product. When the SA put on me N#50 Poudre at the department store, yeah it look good, nice glow so i bought it also thinking about the oil/sebum control properties.
I've worn it for 1 week now, and I can say not only does it not provide coverage, it made me look chalky and dried up as well. The oil controlling part is probably the only thing good about it as my forehead and nose is not as oily (but nose is a tad shiny by mid-day).
I would not recommend it and will not repurchase. I heard better reviews about the Mat lumiere extreme but it is not available in Australia :-(

My search for foundation continues....

on 1/22/2010 6:15:00 PM

Best product!Really worth it! Expensive but divine!! Feels like having nothing on your face but the skin glows!!!Chanel is the good fairy of the make up and at least made my wish come true: flawless skin!!

on 1/9/2010 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This product is proof that you do get what you pay for. Thanks once again to fellow MUAers for your recommendation, as I normally wouldn't have splashed this amount of money ($85AUD) on a powder. I love this powder, like my UPDD it's permanently in my handbag to take with me in case, oh, the world ends and I still want to look polished wherever it is I end up. For reference: colour Sable, on my fair to medium yellow toned Eurasian skin which tans easily, brown eyes and black hair. Did I say I love this product???

on 1/9/2010 6:55:00 PM

It's the gold standard in powder for me. I rarely buy it because it's so expensive, but you do get what you pay for. It also lasts quite a while.

It goes on smooth and unlike other powders that pick up dry patches of skin, this powder actually smooths it over. I have a combination skin that's very oily, sensitive, but my cheeks and chin are prone to dryness. I have tried a few other Chanel products, but their powder is probably the hallmark for me.

This is very finely milled and has a smoothing component to it. My friends, who have all used it, swear by it. It's twice as expensive as MAC but works twice or thrice as good. As long as you buy it at a store (and not ebay) and get a good match, you won't be disappointed. It provides medium coverage, is somewhat buildable, but you never look like you are wearing too much makeup. I never needed makeup primer or go over my problem areas more than once. I noticed a difference immediately, which is what I expect for luxury goods.

It transfers a bit, but it doesn't oxidize, it doesn't break-down and look cheap at the end of the day when my T-zone gets oily. Touch ups also don't require blending.

I tend to buy it in Duty-Free when I travel overseas but the exchange rate just hasn't been favorable in the past few years.

I feel guilty for not springing $50 for this powder as I type this now because a smooth complexion is the most important part of make-up... When I look at my friends make-up, I can always tell the quality of their products... Generally, I can tell who buys Chanel powder (or Lancome powder). It's really the best for people who have okay skin - generally clear but with blemishes or minor flaws. It's not as natural looking as other types, but it looks universally good: it doesn't look unnatural, but it never looks cakey or powdery or like you are wearing a mask.

on 11/13/2009 12:58:00 PM

I wonder what took me so long to try this fabulous foundation. I have been using La Prairie powder foundation but I wanted to try something else also (mainly because I run out too fast with La Prairie and there are no refills available). The lighter colors I could find here were 30 Aurore, 40 Sable and 50 Poudre. They look almost the same, whereas Aurore is more pink, Sable is more yellow and Poudre is neutral. I got Poudre. The color is nice on me, although I would prefer a lighter shade. I used a kabuki to apply it in the morning and it went on so smoothly, just like cream (actually the formula is more creamy than powdery). I applied it over a thin layer of YSL Perfect Touch liquid and they worked really well together. It didn't have that powdery finish I get with La Prairie, immediately upon application it looked very natural, yet the coverage was pretty good. It was also long lasting and the color stayed true without oxidizing. But the best thing was that, as day went on, it didn't cross that fine line between dewy and shiny... I mean that, even though I re-applied (using the sponge and it was not a mess!), I could see that I didn't need to. I felt my skin a little bit oily/shiny, but when I looked in the mirror, it was not! It looked dewy and healthy. I don't know if I will run out quickly with this one like I do with La Prairie, but considering that there are refills, I will definitely repurchase.

on 11/8/2009 5:44:00 PM

I am really in love with this foundation! After using the Teint Innocence compact for almost a year, I decided to try something else as I realized it wasn't suitable for my slightly oily skin. Seeing as Teint didn't break me out, I wanted to be safe and try another foundation from Chanel - boy am I glad I gave Mat Lumiere a try! The packaging is gorgeously sleek/black and like others have mentioned, there is a separate small vent to place your sponge and let it breathe. The mirror is also big as heck so you can see practically everything. It costs CDN $70ish after tax but refills are available.

To start, I'm Asian with a slight yellow undertone. I bought Mat in the lightest shade, 10 Lumiere, and it fit the bill just fine. While the dry application provides light coverage, the wet application gives a medium one. If necessary, apply concealer under this foundation and voila!, an impeccable complexion. I use this foundation dry and the finish is matte but not in the excessively powdery sense: it imparts a non-oily appearance that isn't overly made up. Mat Lumiere is very light/natural looking and lets your skin breathe (no breakouts!). It doesn't control oil the whole day so you may have to eventually blot, but it's convenient for touchups. What I love about this foundation is that your complexion's own sheen and dewiness surfaces within a couple of hours - without looking like a grease pit - yet it holds all day long!! Although I don't use any primers underneath, the foundation doesn't oxidize in the least.

Not a single flaw has occurred to me as of yet, except maybe girls who require additional coverage will find the foundation insufficient. I have discovered however, that there is in fact the very same foundation but with even more coverage + spf 20 in Asia! Apparently, that one is a completely matte finish, superior in coverage, and is fabulous in controlling extreme oil. If you search for Mat Lumiere Extreme on MUA you'll see it. Don't miss out on these foundations, they're truly amazing! Remember to get the correct shade though =)

on 8/26/2009 1:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Great product! Using it more as a touch up powder than as a foundation. I am using Laura Mercier Mineral Powder in Rich Vanilla, and use this in No 50 to touch up the oilier spots, i.e the T zone. Soaks up the oil really well, leaving a matte finish. Not 'glowy' so if that is the effect that you are after, this is not the product for you. Don't put too much, it'll end up kind of cakey looking. Do make sure you get the correct shade for you, as because of the texture and nature of this powder, it'll definitely show if it is a wrong choice. Definitely not 'a one shade fits most' powder here. Casing is classy like all Chanel casings are, but kind of heavy and big. Bought the refill to put in my handbag, (I always have a small compact mirror in there), and presto! Less weight to lug around!