July 31, 2014 | 1295 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Define A Lash Volume Mascara

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2011 3:14:00 AM More reviews by Betzy04

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use to buy this mascara simply because the packaging is pink, i love it tho. Its one of my favorite mascaras, it defines my lashes so nicely.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2011 4:53:00 PM More reviews by star53

I looooooove this mascara! I tried this the first time and didn't really care for it, then the next time I tried it I put it on the top of my lashes and that gave it much more volume. I love the finish this mascara gives my lashes. It is just what I was looking for. I will keep using this for a while.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2011 1:07:00 PM More reviews by lilybasset

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This mascara clumped and smudged. It wasn't bad at the beginning but once it began to dry out a bit it was horrible. I think part of it may have been the funky brush. The brush is super flexible almost like it's broken and it's hard to control, it doesn't have any stiffness to work it into the roots of your lashes. I read the reviews about the brush being weird but I ignored them and figured it couldn't have been too bad. Trust me, it's bad.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/7/2011 8:13:00 PM More reviews by xograciepie

pros: does volumize a bit

cons: smudges, clumps, difficult to get the right amount of product on your lashes

lash type: short and sparse

my take: I decided to buy this when I bought my Maybelline Define-A-Lash Waterproof (green bottle) mascara. I was excited to try the mascara, as my friend had been raving about the product. However, I was severely disappointed in its performance. The brush did a poor job in separating my lashes, and deposited huge amounts of product onto my lashes. Although I tried to wipe off the excess product from the brush, it was to no avail. I did see that the mascara managed to volumize my lashes a little after one coat. However, after I attempted to put on a second coat, the mascara again deposited onto my lashes in big clumps. My lashes looked spikey, sticky, and just plain unattractive. The product smudged underneath my eyes in about 6 hours (length of a school day). If there's one thing that I cannot stand about a mascara, it's smudging! Although I really wanted to love this product, I stopped using it after about three weeks of use - which was more than enough time to know it was not the product for me. I would probably not recommend this to anyone, unless they have full, long eyelashes.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2011 5:23:00 PM More reviews by jorates

In spite of many reviews, I state for this one: it is the perfect daytime mascara, when you want to enhance your lashes but not to look like falsies. with 3 or 4 coats it bursts my lashes in length and volume, keeping a natural appearance, like I was born with very long and considerably full lashes! it gives an appealing yet discrete look, drawing attention to your eyes but not to your mascara. really defines and it does not smudge. love it.
(I have been using it for a month and a half and it hasn't dry yet.)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by Tiffieotheory14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have hated every single mascara I have ever gotten, but this mascara gave me hope again! :P I have very sparse and short lashes. Lengthening mascaras make my lashes thinned out; volumizing mascaras clump my lashes together making it look like i have five chunky lashes.

Since the wand is plastic, it seperates my lashes well; unlike brush ones. The consistency is thick but I don't have to worry about my lashes clumping up. The wand is not too big so I can get the lashes of the very corners of my eyes.

The price is fine for the quality and the packaging couldn't have been better. My eyes always wander to the hot pink tube of mascara in the morning!

This is and forever will be my HG mascara, not even lashblast can touch this.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/31/2010 4:28:00 PM More reviews by jengacan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

It's the worst mascara I've ever used before. Brush is though.Not volume not lenght ; price is good result is bad.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2010 2:55:00 AM More reviews by pjw1209

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been looking for the "perfect" mascara forever. Without a doubt, I have tried almost every DS mascara (some brands I didn't even write a review about), and I have approx. 10 unopened tubes, in my vanity.

I stumbled upon this tube on a clearance sale at drugstore.com for about four bucks. Since I am a cheapskate, I thought I would give this a try. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. It is Brownish Black, which is my favorite color for daytime.

Others mentioned that it had a strange shaped applicator that made application too gooey. When I removed the applicator, I gently wiped the tip on a towel, and it worked perfect. It lengthened my lashes, and I was able to apply two coats if I did it quickly. I always follow up by combing out my lashes, to keep the "spider webs" from appearing. I like this product and I will buy this again....

rated 2 of 5 on 12/27/2010 9:55:00 AM More reviews by Lindsical

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Okay, so I've been needing a new mascara for a few months. I usually use either my MAC mascaras or L'Oreal's Original Voluminous Mascara which is awesome. Money's been tight though, so I can't spend that much on makeup. I was browsing a neighborhood grocery store and stumbled on a great deal.

$2.79 for Maybelline Define-A-Lash Volume Mascara. Sweet, closeout pricing! I bought the soft black one. The price was right and it comes in this nice pink/fuchsia tube. Me? I'm a sucker for the color pink.

I don't buy Maybelline stuff all that often, so I'm not familiar with what to expect. If I have Maybelline products it's because they were giving to me as a gift. So I get it home and open my little treasure I think I have found.

I'm expecting the usual hard bristle brush and what I get is severely disappointing. It's a flimsy wand. The brush is the plastic kind with the bristles that hurt worse than the traditional brush if you poke yourself in the eye. They look like spikes. The brush head is also bigger at one end than it is at the other and it has this dip in the middle of it. It's very weird looking. I'm not sure of what this accomplishes.

I also can't help feel that this mascara wand makes my lashes clump more than it defines them. After I put the mascara on I have to separate the lashes with a toothpick. That's not really defining a lash. That's making it look like I crippled a tarantula and glued their legs to my eyelids.

The formula was also somewhat disappointing. I am used to a drier formula of mascara so when I opened the tube and found out that the stuff was really liquid-y, I frowned. It just seemed watered down and not as thick. For $3 I can't expect MAC quality, I understand that.

One coat goes on, I blink because I stabbed myself in the eye with the spiked wand and the stuff goes everywhere. Cue the Q-tips and makeup remover. I let the first coat to dry and then apply a second coat. That goes well and I start to look like myself. Long lashes! Yay.

Until a few hours later... I notice my husband looking at me in a weird manner. He says nothing though but I look in the mirror. Biggest disappointment ever! There are flakes of soft black color all over my face! What the hell? I put it on three hours ago and it's already acting like I'd been on a bender, fell into bed with my makeup still on!

If I wasn't worried about price, I wouldn't have bought Maybelline Define-A-Lash Volume Mascara. I would have went with my tried and true L'Oreal mascara. Even then if price was not an issue, down to Macy's I'd go to get MAC. I don't think this was a good value. Perhaps my standards are just too high.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2010 5:53:00 PM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Nothing special at all, just deposits color and black goo. My eyelashes are already black so... just black goo. Not in a particularly flattering way, I have far better drugstore mascaras (The Falsies, Full N Soft, etc). Fun Fact: I am so weird, I bought this one day when I realized mid-day that I somehow forgot to put mascara on (and I was wearing tons of eyeshadow, so I felt it stood out/looked bad). So I stopped at a Ride Aid and picked this up. I would have kept it if it didnt' suck.. but since it did.. I shall return it. I rated the packaging highly only b/c it's purple.