April 17, 2014 | 1017 users online

Fragrances - Calvin Klein - Obsession

rated 1 of 5 on 1/27/2011 9:41:00 AM More reviews by AllyMack86

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I know a woman that's been wearing this crap since the late 80's and everyone knows when she's been there. Her scent lingers in the air like an ominous plague. Being unfamiliar at the time with classic frags, I thought for years that it was Shalimar when one day she pulled this dirty bastard out of her purse and spritzed it....everywhere....UGH!!!!....cloves, leather, patchouli, musk and layers upon layers of Palmer's cocoa butter and viola - you have Obsession by Calvin Klein!
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that I'll never touch the stuff. It too violently reminds me of that woman and her insecure, forced aggression..(you know, the type of woman that WANTS to be a bitch but falls short because it's so blatantly obvious? Yeah, that type). Just the same, even if she hadn't forever tarnished this scent for me, I still wouldn't use it to freshen the litter box with. It's THAT bad!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2011 8:03:00 AM More reviews by raenamercedi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Back in the early nineties I loved Obsession and went through two bottles. I forgot about this fragrance until an ex-boyfriend's mom wore it years later. I had to buy her a bottle for every holiday, including her birthday. This woman literally bathed in it, and I got a horrendous headache each time I was around her. It ruined the scent for me. Now, if I smell a sample in a magazine or smell someone wearing it I get a nauseating headache.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2011 10:28:00 AM More reviews by kristinb64

Cant say enough about this perfume! I am a retail manager, so I come across a lot of people through out the day, and I ALWAYS receive compliments on this. It is extremely strong, less is more with this perfume. I just put a little on my wrist and call it a day. It is just enough for people to get a small whiff of it when I'm around. My sales associates are all in love with it and know when I'm around! When applied LIGHTLY, it is the most unique and captivating smell. LOVE it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2011 5:48:00 PM More reviews by zanderae

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like fragrances of all kinds: designer, niche, Avon, drugstore scents - favorites in every category. But the one I love above all is Obsession. It's a warm, inviting, enveloping, mysterious spicy Oriental fragrance that makes me feel like ten million bucks when I wear it. Like other CK fragrances - most notably Euphoria - it has to be applied with a very light hand, on the "come in close and breathe deeply" theory. In almost 30 years I've never smelled a knockoff that could remotely compare. I have two bottles of the cologne and some remnants of powder, lotion, etc., from the 1980s; they haven't lost any of their intensity and I will guard them zealously for the rest of my life! I have more recent favorite fragrances too, but this is the one, the only: my holy grail!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2011 10:35:00 AM More reviews by FACEON

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

To the previous poster...
you say you used to receive compliments every time you wore Obsession back in the 80's but dont get compliments now when you wear it - because of this - you think 'the formula has changed'?

I'm guessing you were in your 20's when you first wore this perfume.....
do you think this could be the reason you received compliments then and not now?
(young women tend to get compliments no matter what they're wearting - as an example - I used to sometimes wear 'Charlie' perfume back in the day - that stuff smelled terrible and yet I still used to get compliments).
I think its a case of 'we have changed' more than the formula has changed :(

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2010 11:25:00 AM More reviews by katrosado5

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

How strange. This has to have been reformulated since it was first released. I wore Obsession back in the 80's when it was first released and I remember a deep spicy warm fragrance that had other's asking me what fragrance I had on every day that I wore it.

Not this Obsession. I tested and at first I had a explosion of "green". That is okay because I waited for the spice and warmth of the dry down. It never came. I had about 2 solid minutes of a cinnamony like spice but it wasn't quite cinnamon.

The a dry down to something non biological. Like another member here said "something plastic" "melted burnt plastic".

Decidely unpleasant. This is not the Obession that I remember and I highly encourage anyone who is interested in this fragrance to do a tester and wear it all day before purchase. I won't be buying this fragrance.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2010 4:39:00 PM More reviews by Codeblue

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried to find something to like about the one but just don't get it. A pleasant scent, but a big yawn nonetheless. Everyone and their dog seems to be wearing it which goes to show you that a frenzy of advertising can sell almost anything. Probably my chemistry, but after the drydown, I seem to pick up something synthetic, like melted plastic.

I view it as a poor woman's version of Anne Pliska, which is one of the classiest fragrances around.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2010 5:56:00 PM More reviews by thespacecowgirl

Has no presence or complexity on me. I spray it and smell a syrupy-sweet sandalwood for a few moments, then nothing for the rest of the day unless I stick my nose right into wherever it was sprayed. Boring. I hoped for more, as warm, sweet Orientals are usually great on me.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2010 11:01:00 PM More reviews by shaaralee

This was my first real-deal perfume. I first got it when I was 16 and wore it for maybe 4 years after. However my tastes in perfume changed vastly and I didn't enjoy the strong woody/oriental scent I once did. Unfortunately now it does give me a headache, but for anyone new to oriental fragrances you can't go wrong with Obsession.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2010 2:15:00 AM More reviews by nm1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

A girl who sat in front of me in biology in High School used to wear this. I used to sit behind her and just inhale her scent for an hour everyday (i'm a hetero-girl for reference..). I asked her what perfume she always wore and she said "Obsession". Anything by Calvin Klein was WAY out of my price range at that time, so when I found a Designer Impostor's "dupe" called "Ostentation" I was beside myself. Turns out it didn't quite measure up and I ended up having to sit at the back of the room because I gave the girl behind ME a headache. Lesson learned.. Spring for the real deal.

This is the best. "Obsession" is an intense and womanly oriental scent. Incredibly heady. A little goes a long way. It's unbelievable. Do yourself a favour- Pick this one up.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No