October 25, 2014 | 896 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Matte2 - Typographic

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2009 4:52:00 PM More reviews by Danik2

I still have not figured out why everyone loves carbon so much when there is this fantastic eyeshadow. I had carbon and hated it, it didn't blend very well and looked pretty harsh against my pale skin. But this eyeshadow is everything that I could want. It's super smooth (just test it out in the store next to carbon) and I can use it with any eyeshadows to deepen my crease. It's heaven that's all I can say. You must buy this.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2009 12:50:00 AM More reviews by carmenners

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Typographic is such a great eyeshadow. The texture and payoff are amazing! Blending Typographic is super easy, because it's so easy to work with. I use this as a black, and it works just as fine as Carbon.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2009 4:21:00 AM More reviews by usherlover695

I absolutely love typographic!!! Its super easy to blend, and its high pigmented, though its a softer black.grey and not harshly over powering to the eyes. I use this daily on the corner edge of my eyelid, and to line 1/4 of the outer bottom lash line. It works beautifully. I definately would reccomend this product to every true makeup lover out there. This color is truely universal.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2009 10:09:00 PM More reviews by mandms08

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love! A very pigmented dark gray. The texture took a while for me to get used to because it applies very densely. But after a few tries, the application is much easier. I like to use it on the lid for a smokey eye. The coverage is buildable so it doesn't have to look very dark if you use a light hand. It is also dark enough to use as a liner.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2009 8:58:00 PM More reviews by pocky

As much as I love the Matte2 shadows, I passed up Typographic so many times because it looks so unremarkable in the pan. Who needs a dark grey eyeshadow? I finally bought Typographic out of curiosity and I absolutely love it.

Typographic is the most versatile shade I've ever worked with. I can use it with everything from greens to purples to taupes and browns. Unless I use Typograhic by itself, it never looks like charcoal grey on my eyes. It's such a chameleon shadow. Today I blended a bunch of neutral brown shadows (Mulch was one) and popped a little Typographic along the outter third of my lash line and blended it out. I couldn't stop looking at my eyes--it was that gorgeous! Since Typographic is a Matte2 shadow, color payoff is amazing and the texture is soft, silky and blends beautifully.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2009 8:54:00 PM More reviews by ifbbprobp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Another beautiful matte 2 shadow. It's great in the crease, outer V, or as a liner on the bottom lashline. I have a hard time with grays, but this one is a matte charcoal with no blue in it. Super smooth. Super blendable. Great color payoff.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2009 1:04:00 PM More reviews by JenniStarBrite

I am new to the smokey eye look but my hubby LOVES it on me when I do manage it. I guess he likes the idea of his "sweet wife" occasionally looking like a naughty girl -chuckles- who knows with men.

Anyway I decided to try this because of the reviews. I had Carbon and didnt like it-didnt blend well and dragged. Was difficult to work with. So i went and purchased MAC Typographic. MUCH HAPPIER!!!

It's a very dark charcoal that borders on being black. Most matte shadows I have tried tend to drag a bit and be more difficult to blend but this one goes on sooo smooth. I love how easily it blends ; evry easy to work with even as a newbie.

For a "classic" smokey eye I blend this into the crease and V of Benefit's "Skinny jeans" cream shadow. Its a softer look than true black which I like but the oclor does build up if you want it to.

I have also used this over MAC Brronze and MAC star violet seperately and looks amazing both times.

I have tried other blacks and grays but the pigmentation and texture are NOTHING like this e/s and this is coming from a non-MAC lover. Give it a try!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2009 5:02:00 PM More reviews by Abrial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

All I have to say is forget Carbon, Typographic can give the same exact effect as Carbon, but is soooo much easier to blend and work with. Just swatch the two at a MAC store, its easy to see that at first swipe Typographic is wonderfully pigmented and soft, while Carbon you actually have to work to get the desired pigmentation.

Although they look very similar standing next to each other, I must say after using Carbon for years I much prefer Typographic because of the ease in blending it. This shade is absolutely wonderful because you can use a little for a soft gray, or build it up to an almost black. If you are a fan of dark creases I seriously suggest you choose this over any other shadow, I am sure you will not be disappointed

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2009 5:09:00 PM More reviews by bvan117

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great color for an all over lid! I use this when I am in a hurry and wash it all over my lid. Add a little liner and smudge it and I am out the door!!
This is a great color for an alternative smokey eye. If you don't want something that is too dark/dramatic like Carbon, then you should def buy this! You can use it in the crease or outer V to create more depth. I highly recommend this color and when/if I do run out, I definitely will go buy it again! I love how it is a matte 2. This color goes on so smooth and easily blendable. This color looks great on every skin tone and it is very versatile. You can def use this color with A LOT of different shades and it will look great!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2009 4:22:00 PM More reviews by skwpt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

When I went to the MAC store to return Carbon, which drags on my lids even with primer underneath, why on earth didn't the SA recommend Typographic? She actually convinced me to keep Carbon, and I reluctantly agreed, but I still wasn't in love with it, and I never really understood its cult status.

It wasn't until I began perusing MUA reviews that I discovered what you were saying about Typographic, and I agree with the rave reviews. The texture is amazing. In fact, Typographic is everything I wanted Carbon to be and then some: similar in color but less stark and more flattering with my fair, neutral/cool (MAC NW15) skin tone; and it applies like butter with no choppy skipping.

Typographic is a deep-charcoal, nearly-black e/s with a hint of indigo. It works best on me as a liner, but for major drama, it looks amazing applied on my lids with the 238 brush -- just full out smoky charcoal. I have blue eyes with grey rims and yellow flecks, so they most often look green, but this e/s made them look stormy grey. I loved it and can't wait for cooler weather when I start wearing my cashmere and merino sweaters again in various shades of grey.

As an eyeliner, I use an angled eyeliner brush to apply just at the base of my upper lash line, but I also use the MAC 231 brush and apply the shadow just over the tops of my bottom lashes, not quite on the water line, and it instantly brightens my eyes without closing the eye too much, as dark colors can do on the water line. I *adore* this color.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No