September 18, 2014 | 1920 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Finish Light

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2013 7:58:00 AM More reviews by YXXC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Smashbox has smashed it. You've got to love this primer. It works, it's good for all skins, just put it on and let it do it's magic. Hides pores and keeps make up put all day. There are lots of good primers out there and this is one of my top 3.
For more on primers or simply honest reviews, 'like' me on Facebook Face Up To It, Twitter @YoCalliss, yocalliss.wordpress.com. Thanks :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2013 3:06:00 AM More reviews by xoAlyssia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have super oily, acne prone skin and this is seriously an amazing product! Usually my makeup would be sliding off my face 2 hours after application but with this, all day wear!! Yes, I have to blot but no where near what I normally would. FINALLY something actually works :D

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Malika1380

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I purchased this primer at £25 which I think is quite expensive and overpriced but having tried it it works for me it kept my make up very fresh untill I took it off before bed and kept my make up from budging although i am using mac pro longwear which doesnt really move anyway, if you want a primer and this isn't out of your price range then yes go for it

rated 2 of 5 on 7/25/2013 4:07:00 AM More reviews by x0nida0x

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

got this as a sample from sephora. broke me out with 5 large painful acne spots after 2 days of use. also was too greasy and heavy - not light at all like the mary kay primer i have tried before. hate it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2013 1:08:00 PM More reviews by mybeadifullife

This is my favorite of all the smashbox primers. its just feels so lightweight, its translucent, makes my makeup apply smoother and gives powders something to stick to, making them last longer.

it is very creamy, easy to spread, and does not feel greasy at all. I found the regular primer feels greasy on my face compared to the 'light' version. I don't have problems with breakouts either. great product! and it lasts a long time.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2013 7:10:00 AM More reviews by Kittykatss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In my teens I had pretty bad acne on my cheek area ( I am now 40) , and because of my sensitive skin I ended up with deep scarring and large pore issues on both cheeks. I have a really pretty face and it is really sad and upsetting at times that there is not much I can do about it – I have tried microdermabrasion and all that , but with deep scars nothing really helps and am not vain enough to get surgery which may make it worse. This really knocks my confidence.

Anyway – back to primers ! I have tried everything that claims to smooth out texture and improve the general look of the skin , tried Nanoblur ,L’Oreal Primer , Benefit Porefessional, Clinique Pore Minimizer, Estee Lauder Colour Correcter, Collagen Creams ..you name it. I had always heard rave reviews about the Smashbox primer , and despite always coming across it when travelling etc I never really got around to buying it and thought it would be too greasy for my oily T zone.( I stopped using liquid foundation a long time ago , as I found that the foundation would slide and settle into pores and make me look greasy and exaggerate my defects. For the last five years or so I have only used mineral powder which works really well and keeps me looking fairly natural and provides cover too.

Last week out of the blue I decided to go and get some Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, I was actually really glad that there was no sales assistant at the stand in Boots , as this puts me off and makes me more conscious . I noticed that there was a ‘ light ‘ non oily version of the primer. Though not cheap I am ready to pay any price to make myself feel and look better. I have a feeling this is going to be one of the best £25 pounds I have ever spent – and am willing to spend this every month if I have to !
Oh wow – I put this on the next morning before work , let it dry for a few minutes and then gradually layered my mineral powder over. Even in the hot summer weather my face stayed made up through the commute to work on the sweltering tube , all day at work , and back at 8 pm at night! I was amazed I even sat out in the sun in the park at lunch – not only did it keep my powder foundation put – my skin texture and pores and scars look DRAMATICALLY reduced – I feel more confident already – I did not even need to touch up once ! The only thing I did notice by mid afternoon was tiny oil through my pores on my nose – but negligible and nothing a blotting paper wouldnt sort , no need for more powder which just makes the nose look cakey.

I have been using this for 3 days or so now and am loving it. I was really tempted to go and get the green primer as I do have some redness/discolouration from the scars / hyperpigmentation ( I am Indian) , but when I went in to Boots/Smashbox the other day ( second visit) the girl did advise me that the green one would definitely be oilier and heavier – to be honest – the redness / discoloration is not too much of an issue as my powder sorts this – it was mainly condition and texture of skin. I am actually feeling so much better and more confident . My face looks natural and so much better. For anyone with the same issue as me – please try this out ! Don’t use too much as it will leave a whitish layer ..if this happens just brush off the excess with a powder brush.
I have not yet tried the primer with liquid foundation but will do – in terms of cover I get enough from my mineral powder so not in a hurry to do this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2013 12:59:00 AM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

I am shocked to find that I have not reviewed this primer yet- craziness!! I was recommended this primer last year by one of the beauty consultants at Shoppers Drug Mart because I have fair skin and in the summer heat, foundation oxidizing on me is inevitable. Even ones that I wear all throughout the rest of the year without issue will just turn bright orange on my face in the summer heat which I have learned is very common for those with skin as fair as myself. I had heard a lot about the Photofinish and Photofinish Light primer by Smashbox so I thought what the heck, and bought the light version. For me, this product was love at first (use??). I love the texture of this primer- not runny but not very thick and super smooth feeling! I believe it says that this primer is water based but to me it definitely has that silicone feeling to it which I really, really like. The texture smooths out really well over my skin which makes it so that I only need to use the tiniest amount of product to cover my entire face (since I use this for oxidization purposes, I use it everywhere my foundation goes). I usually use a sponge to apply my foundation so I didn't notice that it glided on any easier. Anyways, this primer keeps my foundation from oxidizing completely. Whatever colour the foundation was before I applied it was the colour that the foundation was when I applied it and for the rest of the day- so happy!! It was also an added bonus that this kept my foundation matte without a ridiculous amount of powder- I would say this keeps my foundation looking flawless for 8 hours which is fantastic (so many people have unrealistic hopes that their foundation is going to look good forever without ever needing touch ups!). The only things were this primer could do better in my books is the price and the packaging. This primer was $44CAD the last time I bought it which to me is so steep especially since I have already spent $55 on a foundation that is a close enough shade match. That is basically with tax over $100 for a face of makeup. I like to spend money on good face products but for me this is pushing it a little bit and the only reason that I justify the price is because a tube of this lasts me 5-6 months with daily use so if I break it down through the months it doesn't seem so intense. Lastly about the packaging. As much as I love that it comes in a squeezy tube and you can get out every last drop, for some reason I just think that the packaging is so hideous and could look a whole lot nicer and sleeker. I know that is vain but after I pay $44 for a primer I feel entitled to some vanity. For those who haven't already gathered, this is absolutely my HG primer. I am on my second tube now and have bought so many other primers that are cheaper and even sampled a few that were more expensive to find another alternative but at this end of the day this one always wins. If you have the same oxidization issue as me and can justify the price, I highly recommend this.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2013 8:42:00 PM More reviews by kfigz

I actually like this primer. It definitely helped with my oily skin. However, after trying multiple primers, I am sticking with the ELF mineral primer. It works just as well and is much cheaper.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/14/2013 3:14:00 AM More reviews by shengqix

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It honestly doesn't do anything, doesn't prolong my foundation, doesn't control oil, doesn't have spf. the only good thing is it is pretty light, so i don't feel heavy putting this on before foundation to separate my skin from makeup. and it didn't break me out :]

rated 1 of 5 on 5/22/2013 2:56:00 PM More reviews by elidee14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This did nothing for my extremely oily skin. When i first apply it it my skin feels really soft and looks matte but after an hour or so my skin gets oily and looks greasy.