February 27, 2015 | 907 users online

Hair Color - Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2012 12:09:00 AM More reviews by kdbates88

I would definitely use this product again. My hair was dark red (very vibrant) and after one use I am at a light golden (not brassy) brown. I do not recommend using the applicator bottle though. I mixed the two liquids together in the bottle and then put it in a regular color mixing bowl and then applied with a color brush, starting in the back and working my way to the top of my head without ever touching the roots. Afterwards I used Loreal Super Blonde which brought me to a light yellow, and then toned my hair...now I'm a very nice medium ash blonde.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2012 12:07:00 AM More reviews by dtrautz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I don't know how anyone can give a good review about this!! I used it and scrubbed my hair literally for over an hour, scrub scrub rinse rinse rinse scrub scrub and even my boyfriend had to help out because my arms were turning to jelly. And yet all it did was make my roots a bright orange!! The rest of my hair is the dark brown that it was supposed to remove! Unbelievable! I cannot believe I pay 14$ for this junk! It's such a rip off. No one use!!! Seriously! I think the people writing good reviews got paid off to. It's a waste of money and the smell is absolutely horrible and lingers in your hair for days!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2012 1:07:00 PM More reviews by giamatteo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been dying my naturally auburn hair jet black for the past 10 years. Not demi but permanent color was used. I have tried bleaching, hi-lift re-color, you name it and all had only lightened my virgin roots and not the mid/end sections of my hair, and of course damaged the heck out of my hair. I decided to research some more and saw the product Color Oops. Read the reviews and decided to purchase.

Upon reading the directions, I noticed that it said for use on the most recent dye job. Well I can tell you that 10 years worth of dying was removed for me. My hair is very short so 1 box was more than enough. The kit came with everything, including cap and gloves. Was runny upon application, but thickened up during the 20 minute waiting period. Make sure to have a towl on hand or baby wipes to clean up the drips down your face, etc. I did not seem to bleach any fabric that was touched by it (my towel). The smell was not as bad as everyone says it is. It did leave my hair feeling dry however my hair was already damaged from all that previous bleaching done.

After 20 minutes, I jumped in the shower and shampooed and rinsed for another 20 minutes. Shampooed again and rinse for another few minutes. My hair is super short and thin so I shortened the time to a total of 20 minutes ( 15 + 5).

Put on a good conditioner and my hair felt super silky and no longer damaged. The color I came out with after the jet black? Was a strawberry blonde due to the bleaching I was doing. The parts that did not bleach were actually my original hair color. :) I had a few stubborn ends though (not very much) that only changed a couple of shades lighter however I used a pre-color (Ion) treatment that I got at Sally's and re-colored my hair the same night without any excess darkening (as warned in previous posts) of the hair dye I used. In fact the color came out exactly as on the box and my ends blended in.

I never thought in a million years that I would be able to strip all that black from my hair. I plan on keeping a box or two for future use. A bit expensive, but I suppose it's worth it. Nothing like it out there and beats the $300+ I was told would cost for the salon to "attempt" a color correction.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2012 8:05:00 AM More reviews by powersuit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been blonde for years and decided to go back closer to my natural color. I did my hair medium brown using a 'semi-permanent'. It turned nearly black, and I couldn't stand it! Tried hot oil, head and shoulders, clarifying shampoo with a mixture of baking soda in it... hardly a fade! Groan! Weep! Wail and lament! So I bit the bullet and bought this. I was terrified after reading the reviews, but figured wigs these days are awfully pretty, if worst came to worst. It was about 16 bucks Canadian - in my bad hair situation, that was a steal! i donned the gloves, mixed the bottles, and threw the runny, clear mixture in as fast as i could! O.k gals... so it doesn't smell like roses, but it's not unbearably foul either. A mild sulfurous smell at worst. After 20 mins, all was looking promising- a freaky, light orange and goldish color greeted me in the mirror,but it was all good, because i had a color ready to throw in when all was done. Heck, I was just grateful to be light again! I turned on the tunes, and set in for the 20 minute shower rinse. I had my shower comb to keep from tangling, and after 10 mins I used a clarifying shampoo, rinsed for 5 more minutes, and realized the product wasn't damaging my hair- the extensive rinsing was! So I chose to stop rinsing at 15 mins, and threw on a deep conditioning hair hair masque for a few more mins. When my hair felt out of the danger zone, I rinsed yet again and dried my hair and pruney self off. I realize I could have rinsed (starting to hate that word!) longer for lighter results, but my hair dried a nice, very light golden brown that is actually complimentary enough that I have chose not to re-color, and because I heard my hair cry 'uncle' and deep conditioned before the damage got done, it feels soft and looks great! I had really only wanted to fade the color in the first place, but for those of you that want total removal: RINSE RINSE AND RINSE SOME MORE!!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/4/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by dropdeadlovee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Dark, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

i bought this to lift black dye out of m dark brown hair
it did nothing and there wasnt enough for my hair
but i saturated my bangs and they remained black
but i used them on hair extensions and it lifted the black out
although i used the extra conditioning my hair felt like straw
never buy again !

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2012 2:57:00 PM More reviews by broya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Confused by my results.
First of all, I am super impressed that this stuff didnt make me look like a spotted leopard or striped tiger! I had MANY colors put onto my hair in the last 6 months. Originally I had long bright blonde hair. My natural is more strawberry blonde. Before fall, I decided to go warm, auburnish. Since then I had had reds, browns, ash, golden, etc. put in. I just could not find the right hue that worked and I was getting tired off root touch ups. So, alas I thought lets just stripped it and see what happens. I got color oops, and left it on for the 20 minutes with a cap, sitting in the warm sun. After showering, my hair was a BRIGHT peach like color--scary kind of. So I blew out my hair and WOW, it was an even Copper like blonde--not bad really. My boyfriend liked it. So I thought great I will keep it like this for awhile. However the NEXT day it was so much darker. It went to this reddish brown color, like a light auburn. I loved it, but was confused by it. How did it darken up so much overnight? Well, I am sticking with it for now. It looks pretty natural and my hair is relatively healthy and shiny. (I did lose some clumps in the shower, but thats expected with "stripping"). When my roots grow in, I may try another Oops box. I will update if I do.
PS- It did smell terrible! Like a nasty sulfur sewage dump. And it lingers, but its better than paying $$$ to a hairdresser, who would probably just screw up your hair and damage it just the same--saying this from MANY instances of experiencing terrible stylists who think they know what they are doing--its like bleach powder is their best friend and go-to. Bleach over dyed bleached hair equals MAJOR hair damage and hair loss, Oh which equals more money spent because you now need a professional haircut to cut layers in your hair.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/28/2011 4:24:00 AM More reviews by kiwimeow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I Just used Color Oops tonight for the first time, and I am sooooo pissed off and angry.

I did about 2 1/2 hour or more of research before I bought it, and *most* of them seemed very positive, so I was willing to take the risk. I have bright/medium pink (magenta hair). Underneath was what blonde before it went pink, green months and month before that for almost a year and black before that.

I followed all the directions and my hair is the UGLIEST shade of medium/dark blue. If I could have know it was going to do this, I certainly wouldn't have bought it and just would have used a wee bit of bleach to get a lighter pink/blonde....Cause thats what I wanted and thats what I thought this product would do, since the color before it went magenta, was super light blonde...almost white.

The magenta I used was Punky Color, and after having it pink for 4 months with no re-dying and tons of washing with head and shoulders (which is supposed to fade color) It was only maybe a half shade lighter than when I originally dyed it.

So so mad. Hope this prevents someone else with similar hair color from making the same mistake I did. I was trying to be kinder to my hair by not bleaching it, but I really wish I could turn back time now and never NEVER have used this product. FML.

Luckily, I wear wigs daily (cause Im trying to leave my hair alone and let it grow and get healthy)
Guess I'll just continue to do that....And be lucky I dont have a boyfriend in this country who would have to see this disgusting color on my head everyday and every night.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2011 4:44:00 AM More reviews by RinaRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First off, this product does its job. It removes your hair color. Don't expect any more from it though, It just removes your hair color completely.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/21/2011 1:28:00 PM More reviews by Booiloveyou

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Well, i had dyed my hair black for the second time, and i didnt seem to look good in it. It has been over a mounth after i decied to use color opps, i mean it works, but i still have to dye it another color becasue the color that it leaves you looks okay, but not the best. Other wise yes it works. The smell is nasty! We had some left over, and dumped it out and it was so nasty smelling. Well of course we used a spray bottle becasue the packaging didnt have the applicatiore in it! So we used that and we had to leave the bathroom while in the process of my hair! We had the fan on and the window open! The smell is so nasty, you guys really need to change the smell!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/13/2011 12:04:00 AM More reviews by gagaformakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

So. This is the story girl who once had the wonderful idea to dye her golden blonde / light brown hair dark brown. Dark, DARK brown. Almost black brown. Yuck.

The dark brown hair looked terrible, and she wanted it removed as quickly as possible. She tried everything. First, she just washed it again and again with a non-color protecting shampoo. When that didn't work, she realized she would have to take more drastic action.

The girl did her research and tried out a number of home remedies that had the potential to remove hair dye. First, she tried dish detergent (yes, she was so desperate she actually put Dawn dish detergent--the same kind they use to clean animals after an oil spill--in her hair). Next she tried a concoction of baking soda and clarifying shampoo and experienced little success. She continued: hot oil treatments, Vitamin-C mixtures that sat in her hair for hours at a time, harsh dandruff and baby shampoo. Nothing worked. Even after all those treatments, her hair was only slightly less dark than before.

Fearing she would soon do permanent damage to her hair, the girl made one last ditch effort: Color Oops. The first time she used Color Opps, the girl did not distribute it evenly throughout her hair, and she did not saturate her hair completely. Mistake. The girl's hair was completely unaffected by the product.

But. The girl was desperate, so she decided to give Color Oops one more shot. This time, she used a wide toothed comb to completely saturate all of her hair. Further, she did not let her hair become tangled and matted as she rinsed (like she did the last time). This time, she combed her hair throughout the entire rinsing process, helping to coax the evil black dye from her hair. And she didn't just rinse for 20 minutes as the instructions on the box told her to. No. She rinsed for a full hour, complete with shampoos in between. And this time, this time it worked. Though her hair was still tinted with the nasty dark dye, it was, in fact, significantly lightened by the Color Oops.

But seriously, guys. If you're really desperate, Color Oops does work. However, word to the wise: the single most important step in using this product is rinsing it out. Once you think you're done rinsing, rinse some more. And if you think you're done after that, rinse more. Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse. Oh, and comb through your hair as you rinse. Color Oops made my hair really tangly and matted, so I just kept combing as I rinsed.

Now I feel as though my hair has potential to be back to normal. I won't dye it again, but I am going to use the John Frieda Go Blonder Shampoo and Conditioner to try to continue to lighten my hair back to its original color.

After going through my whole fiasco, I bought a really nice conditioner ( the Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Masque) and it has helped my hair tons. You'll need a good conditioner after using Color Oops, and your hair deserves it after this torture!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No