November 23, 2014 | 2121 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2013 12:50:00 PM More reviews by kjb778

I have used this numerous times, but to be honest it did nothing for me. My hair is fine and thin and damages easily from daily styling, heat and periodic coloring. The only way to make my hair better is by regular trims. Maybe my hair isn't as damaged as others and I am grateful for that.

The smell of it isn't bad, just not pleasant. I will continue using it though because it is cheap and maybe it is doing something I am not aware of.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by magpiesparkle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Three things:

1] Have a fan on in the bathroom or wherever you're doing this treatment as it STINKS;

2] Step One should be done with your head over a sink or bathtub as it's watery and runny.

3] Invest in a hard-shell/hard hat hair dryer. Your arms will thank you for it!

Having said that, this product helped me get my bleached out hair almost back to normal. I followed the directions and the reviews here on Makeup Alley and within an hour or so, I had happy hair again!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 5:20:00 PM More reviews by elleycampbell

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Grey

This stuff has worked wonders on my hair! I'm naturally dark brunette and have been box dying my hair since I was 15. I'm now 30 and as you can imagine my hair wasn't in the best condition. I recently went baby blonde over the course of just a few months which wasn't a good idea teamed with damaged, over processed hair. My hair was like straw when dry and stretchy/mushy when wet. I tried all sorts of treatments to help replenish it; from expensive protein treatments, leave in conditioners, hot oils... nothing worked. I came across this whilst searching for affordable at home treatments, and after some online research I gave it a go. It almost fixed my hair with just one application and my hair was soft and manageable again without many signs of breakage/split ends or stretchiness. It's not the easiest thing to apply as it's very runny and goes everywhere... but it's worth the hastle! I use my own clarifying shampoo first, towel dry, add the protein treatment until my hair is saturated, dry until rock hard (don't touch your hair at this point as it will snap!), rinse, apply aphogee balancing moisturizer and leave for a few mins (to balance ph levels... a very important step as Iíve tried it without and hair felt horrible and lacked shine), rinse, apply my favourite moisturising conditioner, rinse again, and that's it. I do this once a month when I have my roots done, or once every two months when my hair is feeling ok. Be warned though - using the treatment too often, such as every few weeks, will result in further damage/breakage. Plus, you MUST use a conditoner after the balancing moisturiser! I only recommended it for dry, damaged, over processed hair. Healthy hair wonít benefit from this treatment and could become damaged.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 3:38:00 PM More reviews by jennyjams

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just used this for the first time and my hair feels amazing! My hair is very dry bleached hair that was in need of a major protein treatment, This did the trick. I followed the directions perfectly (which you really need to do). My hair feels soft and looks really healthy..atleast compared to how it was. I only used step one and then for step 2 i used shea moisture deep treatment masque. I will be using this every 6 weeks for sure!
check out my new blog about my hair growth journey www.waistfulwishes.com

rated 3 of 5 on 2/7/2013 2:05:00 PM More reviews by sgrplmfairy333

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Fortunately, I just got a nice little one time use dual-packet of this treatment so it only cost me $4. I decided to give this product a try to see if it would improve the condition of my hair. I also wanted to use this product as a pre-coloring treatment. I normally use neutral protein filler, which i love, but just wanted to try something a little different. big mistake. i have serious hot roots now! however, my hair IS super soft and shiny. in the future ill use this as a stand alone treatment on days when im not dying my hair. for a treatment to help w/ even color distribution, ill stick to neutral protein.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2013 6:13:00 PM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

This is a great product that I use once a month as a protein treatment. I hate doing two steps so I mix this product in a separate container with Jessicurl deep conditioning treatment and my hair is left transformed- my natural 4c hair pops with curls, is detangled and luscious.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 12:48:00 AM More reviews by tbabi

From damaging my hair consistently for many years with flat irons, curling irons and blow dryers my hair had 3 textures. The root was my curly 3b/3c hair and the middle was 2c/3a texture and the end being stick straight dead. I wanted to fix this and didn't want to go the drastic route of cutting the dead ends off so I was introduced to this product. It helped revive those stick straight ends to a 2c/3a texture that I could somewhat deal with until my hair grew out to where I could cut them off. When my hair got back to it's normal state, I returned to the evil flat iron and it gave me the same problem but with loads of frizz. I tried the 2 step treatment and it has revived some of my curls. (I will slowly cut of those ends that are not my real texture slowly)

The 2 step protein treatment is messy and stinky. I used a spray bottle the second time but still it still drips and makes a mess. It also is very stinky but that's expected from pure protein. Great product.. did an awesome job on my very damaged ends.

The moisturizer had great slip but wasn't really a great moisturizer. The second go at using this product I mixed it with another moisturizer for added moisture.

I bought the little packs and I bought 2 the first time and then the second time I did it I bought 3 because my hair is sooo thick, 2 seemed like it wasn't enough. Directions were easy to follow but for those that don't know.. don't place a towel under your hair when doing the protein treatment or any clothing because your hair literally will harden to whatever material it dries to. Don't agitate the hair too much as well because depending on how fragile and damaged your hair is, it could just snap off when the protein is dried in hair. I know it sounds scary but honestly it's the easiest thing to do and not as scary as it sounds.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2013 4:50:00 AM More reviews by FrankieStein

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Personally I loved the way the two step treatment smelled. The moisture packet that came with it on the other hand...YUCK! It smells like old lady hair products on a hot and sweaty summer day. Firstly let me inform you of my hair. I naturally have black hair, that I've been bleaching the life out of since I was 13 (currently 19) I've had my hair every color imaginable. Currently its white and silver. Well needless to say my hair is in need of repair and this stuff works! I could instantly tell the difference once I washed out the protein. I have super curly hair that I bleach every 2weeks, I deep condition every week so moisture wasn't was what I was lacking. I loved this stuff, will go out and buy the full size bottle ASAP. Side note: I used two packets of the two step treatment and one moisture packet followed by Aussie 3min miracle to mask that old lady scent. My hair is a couple inches past my shoulders, its quite porous and I have a TON of hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2012 6:02:00 PM More reviews by kristalov

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I used this about a year ago and though I liked it the first time I tried it, I didn't use it again until just now. And I love it! Why didn't I use it until now? Because I had read so much about protein overload I was afraid to. My hair is weak, dry, naturally frizzy, and brittle and I have to be honest with you....I am still confused as to how to determine whether hair needs protein or moisture. So, I cut out the protein and concentrated on moisturizing. My hair remained dry, brittle, and frizzy. (My hair is colour-treated). So I saw the Aphogee 2 Step in my cupboard and decided to try it again and I'm glad that I did! I followed the directions exactly except that after rinsing it out, I lightly shampooed and then followed with the Aphogee balancing moisturizer. After rinsing that out my hair still felt dry so I grabbed some Suave Shea Butter conditioner (bought as a cheapie for the kids) and wow! My hair feels and looks great! It actually feels healthier and stronger. I think it helped using a shampoo after rinsing and using another conditioner after the Aphogee moisturizer because the Aphogee one does not take out tangles or make hair very soft. I will definitely use this again. Turns out that it is great for soccer moms as well! ;-)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2012 4:33:00 PM More reviews by can178

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't think I've ever even written a review - but I'm just so happy with how this product worked I wanted to share. I got the 2-two pack at the beauty store for 2.99, love that price! I wanted to re-lighten the tips of my hair (naturally dark brown with a blond ombre at the tips) after a haircut cut most of the blonde out. I used one pack of this a few days before I colored with Revlon Frost & Glow, and then waited a few weeks and used one about 4 weeks after I colored. The treatment before the bleaching really helped minimize the damage, but this second treatment after the bleaching is the one that has me amazed. My tips now have almost no visible damage, instead of that straw-like texture they are just as smooth as the rest of my hair and they have much more natural bend to them again. I am really thrilled with how smooth my hair feels, and how little hair I'm shedding.

I think next time I might only use the protein treatment after the bleaching, and stick to just coconut oil to protect it during coloring.