July 26, 2014 | 1490 users online

Hair Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 12/12/2012 10:01:00 PM More reviews by AmyRuth23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been dying my hair black for about two years now. My natural color is a medium/dark brown. I tried this hoping I could get back to a more brown color because I'm tired of black. I used this and followed the directions. My hair is still jet black. I was really disappointed because I read a lot of reviews saying it had worked.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/6/2012 2:57:00 PM More reviews by brandyleigh45

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Ok...so I tried both Color Fix and Color Oops. Color fix was terrible. It seriously smells sooo bad! Imagine dead skunk, rotten eggs, and burnt rubber all mixed together. Thats how vile, and strong the smell is, and it doesn't come out of your hair for a LONG LONG time, even after multiple washings with strong shampoo. I found it to be ok in terms of not drying out my hair, and it did pull some of the color out, but not a good amount. It also caused extreme, considerable scalp irritation for me, turning my scalp really pink and making it very tender to touch. There would've been no way I could've done more then one application as it was just to chemically harsh!

I needed to remove the color though, and saw the Extra Strength Color Oops in the store and figured I'd give it a try. I liked the Color Oops much better. It didn't hurt my scalp, and seemed to pull the color out better then the Color Fix. I did leave it on for 45 minutes instead of 20 though. It left the gray strands that had been colored a sortof brassy colored, goldeny red, but didn't look bad. The product itself is a lot thinner in consistency then Color Fix. Very liquidy and harder to control in terms of application as it is very runny. Color fix is thicker and adheres better to the hair, and is easy to see. Color oops is transparent, and kindof hard to tell if you have covered all areas completely or equally. Also I have long hair, while I was able to get one application out of the Color Fix easily. I would recommend two boxes of the Color oops. The bottle appears to be a tad bit smaller (3oz vs 4oz in color fix I think) and that one ounce made a big difference. Plus the thinner consistency makes it harder to get good coverage without the additional bottle. Over all I felt it did a pretty good job removing the color. I have dark brown hair, and have been using a dark brown permanent color for a long time on it. I felt over the years it has become more black brown and a bit harsh looking for my pale skin and I wanted to get back more to my natural color. The Color Oops removed the color from my gray hair and brought the rest of my hair back to is natural color dark brown. It was gentle on my hair and left it feeling very silky and soft. I would definitely recommend it and would use it again in the future. In my opinion it is much gentler and overall does a better job then Color Fix. Also while it has a smell to it, it is nothing at all like Color Fix, and even after a couple washes doesn't smell too bad. I'm sure with another couple washings my hair will be back to its normal scent, at least I don't feel like I have to be embarrassed or that folks can smell my hair before I get there like I did with Color Fix. It would definitely be my first choice in the future for color removal and I will NEVER again use Color Fix!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2012 8:45:00 PM More reviews by CarrieWinter

First of all, WOW. I was absolutely amazed by this product. After researching it for a while I finally decided to bite the bullet and try it. After having a horrible mishap two years ago with stripping/bleaching my hair I was extremely skeptical. I went to Sally Beauty and the sales lady told me what I would need to take my hair from black to red, so I went ahead and bought a stripping kit and a bleaching kit along with a few packages of a deep conditioner. An inch and a half of my hair fell off.. even though I listened to her directions to a tee. So about a year ago my hair turned JET BLACK after the packaging said "Natural Medium Brown" and I decided to leave it because I didn't want to sit in a salon for hours on end. I used Color Oops the other day and left it on for an hour, rinsed, and applied another box for an additional 30 minutes. I couldn't believe how soft it made my hair. By no means did it bring me back to my natural hair color though (not that I really know what it is anymore). It turned my roots a light red and my ends a dark copper red. HOWEVER I did not read the full directions and colored my hair the next day... without using a filler. My hair went right back to being black. So off to Walmart I went again to buy another box of Color Oops. At least my hair didn't fall off this time though!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2012 11:08:00 PM More reviews by poutymouth

I joined Makeupalley after years of lurking to write this review. Color Oops is fantastic but the trick is DO NOT LISTEN TO THE DIRECTIONS.

Here's the scoop; I've had dyed black hair over naturally strawberry blonde hair for exactly one year. I bought two boxes of Color Oops and the first process I used the entire box. I let it sit on for ONE HOUR. Not twenty minutes, like the directions suggest. I washed it out and it was a reddish chestnut. My hair felt like silk. It was so clean and refreshed from ridding it of all of that 'colour buildup' that I had mistaken for damage. Next process was half the second bottle. Another hour. Definitely auburn red. Next process, another hour. Now, it wasn't by any means my colour before dying but it was an incredible inprovement. No damage. No bleach. No expensive salon trips for them to tell me to come back five times because it's impossible to do in one sitting. I'm so pleased. Highly recommend!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/23/2012 8:45:00 PM More reviews by Qu33nB33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

With all the wonderful reviews on this people convinced me to try this Color Oops. I was hesitant because I was using it on dark dark brown almost black hair, but so had others so for SOME reason I had faith in this..OOPS! Let me just say I followed the direction EXACTLY how I was suppose to, and this product did NOTHING! Actually it was worse than nothing I would have preferred nothing to happen. But instead I got brassy orange-y roots (but I know it's bound to be an ugly color) with almost no color removal past the first 2 inches from my roots! I am left with 3 different colors of roots and blackish red for the rest. I am NOT pleased. The ONLY PRO of this was it did not damage my hair at all, and that is a very big pro so for that reason I give 2 lippies because if you have LIGHTER hair I would recommend but never for dark dark hair.
EDIT:I decided to use it a second time-because what am I gonna do leave my hair 3 different color? NO! so 2nd time again did VERY MINIMAL stripping. I had left some product in the bottle luckily so a 3RD yea thats right 3RD time doing it FINALLY got me to a dark brown. My hair is more damaged than before but nothing deep condition can't fix, but really? 3x? There has to be something better out there!
EDIT: Gave it one more shot doing it a 4th and 5th time (I know your not suppose to but my hair was healthy enough) and it did get it to a decent color so for that i will give it a 3, it took FOREVER to get here but it did it so 3 it is.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2012 9:41:00 PM More reviews by aylasafford16

I must say I'm both impressed and also let down. I read all the reviews on Color OOPS and I was super excited to get it. My hair is naturally dirty blonde and I've dyed it more times than I can count. I've had dark red, bright red, bleach blonde, purple, pink, blue, black (like 10 times) orange, silver.. You name it. It didn't leave any damage on my hair which I'm thankful for considering how damaged it was already! I put it in, followed the directions to a tee, and rinsed like a madwoman. My bangs and top half of my hair are a nice golden blonde and the rest is a light red color. I'm a little disappointed that it's not all the same color, but then again I did only buy one box ($13 at Walgreens) I'm definitely gonna buy another box once I get the money. I'm a little let down, however, about how little of it it got. But my hair is suuuuper messed up and suuuuper thick so it was to be expected.
Also, regarding the smell. It's smells a lot like burning rubber, masked underneath a citrusy smell. It's not as bad as I was expecting though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2012 7:07:00 PM More reviews by melaniespringsteen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

HI! So I naturally have strawberry blonde hair and have dyed it red shades over the years. A couple of years ago, I dyed it rich medium brown (which turned out WAY darker than what I'd hoped). When that finally faded I put in another couple of red shades. My roots have been growing in and I missed my strawberry blonde hair and started to wish I hadn't touched it. So I did research about this product. Tried it and I'm blonde again!! I haven't seen my real hair color since high school! (I graduated in 2007). It looks great and feels great. Follow the directions to a T! Also, make sure you RINSE exactly as it says. I also put in Ausie's 3 minute miracle. My hair feels just like it did before I put this product in. Granted, I didn't put any on my roots and they're a little bit darker than the rest of my hair, but that's okay :) Try it! You don't have anything to lose ;-) I honestly feel like I've gotten a makeover!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2012 5:28:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

ETA: I'm a hair maniac and after heavy hennas/1 indigo I decided I wanted my natural brown back, thought this would b wishful thinking, did procedure 3x in a week increasing up to 2 hr application and my hair is somehow my natural color: no henna, no black indigo, no weird green, just a nice med-dark brown. Which is weird since I had bleach and many layers of everything on there. I'd consider this a miracle substance. Oh but the smell. My family must love me to put up w the smell. Idk if this would work like this for anyone but my hair is not damaged at all so it's worth a try... I could always dye right over it. Have a dye handy just in case!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I had very very dark burgundy hair that I stupidly was trying to turn ginger (copper-ish, like a REAL redhead) with a box. That is going to be accomplished Wednesday at the salon by stripping first then adding color, I'm a dark brunette, duh.

However, after my err, to help the process along, I decided to try the 'Oops' since it has no bleach or damaging ingredients. I applied, put on cap, left on 20 minutes. I shampooed and rinsed in the shower for 20 minutes, no joke. The shampoo I used also was like a stripping shampoo (I alternated bw Prell and Johnson's Baby, then returned them to the store the next day muhaha since after my "real" color job I'll be using a sulfate-free). I wish I could post a pic in here as I took a before and after. My hair went from DARK burgundy to a light strawberry brown. Evenly, miraculously. As per the package and the website, if the dye you were using, even if darker, had a peroxide in it, which mine did, Oops will leave you with your natural color minus the peroxide that was in the dark dye. My hair is naturally much darker. So, warning, do not think you are going back truly to your natural color if your hair dye contained ANY peroxide. Which many DARK hair dyes do. But if you're just tryin to get the color out, go for it. You can dye back to your natural color immediately afterwards. I didn't do that obviously since I'm going to get gingered up at the salon in a few days.

But, at the salon now, they will have to do little if any harsh bleach stripping. VERY satisfied customer :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2012 9:08:00 PM More reviews by LittleViolet

THANK YOU for making this. My "dark brown" dye = inky black. After conducting a strand test, my hair became its normal brown self again (a little darker than normal, which is funny because that is the color I was hoping for). I only had to spend 1 day looking like a fool.

I left it on for 20 minutes. the bottle was more than enough to drench my medium thickness, collar bone length hair. I had about an inch of product left in the bottle. I rinsed it for 5 full minutes with a timer and then shampooed twice, spending another 5 minutes rinsing each (15 minutes total). By then my knees were breaking off in the bathtub and my hair was looking normal and brown so I stopped.

Yes I still reek of sulphur but I don't care; at least I can look in a mirror without cringing! :D

Never again, semi-permanent "brown" dye! Thank you Oops!
$12.99 at Walgreens.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2012 9:38:00 AM More reviews by sweaterbrau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have naturally dirty blonde hair and I typically dye it golden blonde using L'Oreal Preference or Excellence, with the occasional set of professional highlights. Last night I decided to change it up and dyed it a natural medium blonde to add a little more color for the Fall. It turned out as expected at the roots of my hair, but made the lightened and highlighted parts a crappy light green/blue/gray. I was HORRIFIED. After some quick research it seemed like the Color Oops produced good results on blonde hair so I took a leap of faith and tried it. I left it on the full 20 minutes and after just 5 I could see all the gray was taken out of the very ends of my hair. AWESOME! I read a lot of people complaining about the smell, but I didn't think it was that bad. Actually, regular permanent hair dye is a lot worse, in my opinion. I shampooed 4 times as the directions indicated and put a heavy conditioning mask on for another 10 and rinsed that out. My hair felt normal, which is awesome!! I was really worried about frying it to hell but that didn't happen at all. What I was left with was my formerly golden blonde hair, all the gray dye was gone!!! THANK GOD. I can't say if this works on dark dyes, but it definitely took all the dark greenish blonde and blue/gray tint out of my hair. Great stuff!!!