LORAC Oil-Free Neutralizer

3.9

Water, Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Stearic Acid, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Dimethicone Copolyol, Stearoxytrimethylsilane, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Steareth-2, Steareth-21, Xanthan Gum, Stearyl Alcohol, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Matricaria Extract, Comfrey Extract, Sodium Polyacrylate, Triethanolamine, Tetrasodium EDTA, PVM/MA Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Octyldodecyl Erucate, May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarines

It was great to look in a mirror mid-afternoon and see calm, even-toned skin. I found this for $30 at Ulta. You only need a little product so it will last a while. I wish it had SPF in it, but I have a feeling that would make the product less effective and/or irritate my skin.

This stuff is great. I mix it with a bit of tinted moisturizer (about half and half), so it doesn't look too yellow, before applying it all over my face. It's an excellent alternative to heavy foundation and with this, I may never buy foundation again. Half a pump+ an equal amount of tinted moisturizer is usually enough for me. If you mix it with a cream foundation, I find it to be a little too matte. A tinted moisturizer adds more of a healthy glow to the skin. Coupled with concealer where you need it and your regular makeup, it makes my skin close to flawless.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I adore this stuff. More than I ever imagined I would. I have been gravitating toward yellow-based products lately (I always considered that my coloring was neutral toward cool, but maybe this is changing), and had had some luck with Benefit's Bluff Dust and Bluff stick. It never really occurred to me until recently that I had a problem with redness. I am very pale, and I guess I always thought that the most important thing was for me to "brighten up" (trans: "pinken up"). Not so. I couldn't believe the difference this product made to the way my face looks in general. Sometimes when I put it on, I almost forget to put my foundation over it, the color pigment is so strong. Getting rid of the "red" that I never knew was a problem really makes my face into a totally different canvas. I look entirely more elegant and put-together when I wear this. My one complaint--the packaging is absolutely crap. The pump acts as a powerful squirt bottle under pressure--you press the pump, and the product flies. I have gotten it all over the place, little dots of it. I have solved this by putting the pump right up into my foundation brush, but still, it would be nice if the packaging were actually functional. I have had such luck with this product that I can't even take a lippy away for the packaging, though.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

This is a very good product for getting rid of the redness in your face. I have mild rosacea and this product really does hide it well. I was shocked when the Sephora girl put it on. The redness was gone! It has worked just as well at home.

Now some tips for those that are getting chalky. You are using too much product. You should not even be using a full pump per application. Add it to your moisturizer to help it go further when you are applying it. You should not actually see it when it is applied. You only notice that your redness is gone. Don't think of it as a primer, think of it as a corrector. You do not need a ton of product.

Good luck, ladies!

This neutralizer actually has a lot of color in a little bit, and so makes quite a difference in coloring. I am very fair, so the color is all right, but I would not recommend this product for darker skin tones as the pigment is very light and not sheer. Also, it does accentuate dry patches and can look cakey or flakey if the skin is not moisturized enough. A little goes a LONG way; the pump dispenses way too much product, and if applied all over the face, or even on most of it you can look pretty washed out. However, I mix this with moisturizer, which has turned out to be great. It covers redness or even a blemish where I need it, and never dries funny when mixed with moisturizer. The oil-free factor is nice, and the bottle should last a long time, as only a tiny bit is needed to make a difference. Overall, I would say it is a good purchase, once you learn how to use it in the best way for your skin.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This formula went on smoothly but turned into a powder like consistency when it dried. It looked as gross as it felt. A relatve no longer wanted it and hoped I'd have better luck with it, but that was a no go.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I have always had a red face. I had a problem with acne when I was a teenager, and even though a round of Accutane has now kept my skin clear for seven years...my face is still red, and I still find myself globbing on foundation to cover the redness.

I've also recently been diagnosed as having Lupus SLE, and for those that may not know...with Lupus comes a malar ("butterfly") red rash across the cheeks and nose. Mine is fairly faint, but still enough to make me feel self-conscious when it appears.

So, needless to say, I was searching for a good concealer/foundation/cover-up for this when I stumbled upon Lorac's Neutralizer. I figured it couldn't hurt to try, as I felt like I had tried everything else.

I absolutely must give this product five stars. Why? Because it does exactly what it promises- it neutralizes my skin. It's very very very thin in texture, so it lets my real skin still shine through. It doesn't make me look washed-out or "dead".

I apply it after my Tarte Makeup Primer. After I apply the LORAC Neutralizer, I add a bit of Laura Mercier's Tinted Moisturizer and finish with a dusting of Nars Loose Powder. Voila! That's it. My red rashy skin is gone without me having to use two inches of foundation, as I was doing previously.

I love this stuff, and I will definitely re-purchase!
continued >>

ABSOLUTELY, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE THE PUMP! AGAIN - DO NOT USE THE PUMP! (It's a mess waiting to happen and one you don't want to clean up.) I didn't have the color problems because my skin is similar in color to the product. I have rosacea on my cheeks, nose, forehead and chin, so I got tired of caking on mineral powder that didn't truly hide the redness. This product can be used as a makeup primer, concealer or foundation (if you're pale like me). I don't recommend using this over a silicone based primer because both of the products together are just too heavy and can cause breakouts. I recommend patting the product over your redness until you achieve the desired consistency. You can also mix this with your regular moisturizer to created a tinted moisturizer.

As everyone has said, this product really does take away the redness. Just don't use too much all over because then you risk looking like you're ill. Also, I tend not to use this product in my T-zone b/c it does make that area more oily.

I have light-med skin w/yellow undertones; super-oily.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I am NC15 with mild rosacea, sensitive skin with oily t-zone and normal cheeks. This primer is a godsend for days when I wake up with a really red face. It does exactly what it says, it neutralizes the redness. It doesn't really cover up pimples or raised blemishes as well as a concealer would. Usually it's all I need when I'm in a rush or don't want to bother with dotting on concealer or wearing foundation. I top it off with a powder most of the time. I apply it with my fingers which seems to work very well. I took off one lippie because the pump dispenser on the bottle makes it hard to get just a teeny amount, and the bottle gets messy. This is HG material for me and I'll definitely buy it again! The bottle lasts forever too.

Popular Primer/ Correctors