September 22, 2014 | 1796 users online

Primer/ Corrector - MAC - Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

rated 1 of 5 on 11/10/2012 1:24:00 PM More reviews by kailingggg

This used to be my only solution to control my oily skin. It used to be great and kept my oil at bay all day long. BUT MAC HAD TO GO AND CHANGE THE FORMULA!

Initially i thought maybe the product had separated because it sat there too long and thats why it became runnier. I shook it up and mixed it around but to no avail. When i went back to the store, ALAS! They had changed the formula. The formula now contains oxybenzone which is really bad for you!, It smells just like sunscreen and worse of all IT DOESNT CONTROLS OIL ANYMORE!

I have no idea what to try now since this was the only thing that had worked for me. So disappointed. Let me know if there are any other primers that can help control oil :/

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2012 10:52:00 PM More reviews by candydoll

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

Why did they reformulate this primer?! It was the one primer that controlled my oil all day AND had great sunscreen. I must have gone through 5 or 6 bottles of this stuff. It was fantastic. Then, about a couple of months ago, I bought another bottle and it was a completely different product! It was runny and smelled different. But the worst part of it was it no longer worked...AT ALL. At first I thought I got a bad bottle. So I went to a different store and asked them if the product had changed. The MUA swore it was the same product. I tried it again and still it was HORRIBLE. I'm really disappointed that they destroyed this primer. I don't know what I will find to replace it. I don't recommend spending money on this, as it is no more than a regular sunscreen and you can get that much cheaper. It does not control oil or prime the face in any way now. So sad.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by um3bosh1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this product religiously for years and years. It's true that the container was bad for the original product. The primer was thick and at the end I'd have to cut off the top of the bottle to get to all the product. It was worth it though, and I'd store it in another container at that point. However, the new formula, which I'm assuming was meant to address the problem of the thick product in poorly designed container, is terrible. Not only does it NOT WORK, it runs/leaks out of the bottle, leading to a lot of waste of the product.The solution to the old problem was a better container, not a reformulation of the primer. The only "good" thing I can say about the new reformulation is that is helped me realize how much I loved the old formula! I want it back!

EDIT: I had been using Mac's Prep and Prime Protect SPF 50 until the formula changed. I sampled multiple oil-control primers from Sephora (Murad, Roth, Clinique, Korres) and some drugstore brands (Boots, Cetaphil) from Target over the course of the past few months. I finally settled on Hourglass Veil Mineral and I love it. Interestingly, it has Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide, two ingredients that, as I recall, were in the Mac Prep and Prime and removed and replaced by chemical sunscreens. Now I'm wondering if those sunscreen ingredients don't also have oil-control properties. None of the other primers I tried worked very well, and none of them had these two ingredients.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/2/2012 2:36:00 AM More reviews by milikam

i had the old version of this primer and it was perfect, but a week ago i got the new formula and it sucks. every time i use it my face looks greasy and bad. also if you read the box the 3 main ingredients are sunscreens and nothing else. dont waste money on this.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/17/2012 5:49:00 AM More reviews by sevel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this product as most of my make up is MAC and I've always used MAC foundations so buying the primer seemed logical. I have oily combination skin and had never really used a primer before this. Well after three days of using this my skin broke out TERRIBLY. I got tonnes of small little pimple like dots all over my cheeks. Please note, this may not happen to everyone and is simply my experience with this product but I will say if you're thinking about buying this maybe ask for a sample to try?
I did end up returning the product and the MAC staff were completely fine about it- they did get me to fill out a form saying what kind of reaction I had so they could pass the feedback on which I did think was good.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2012 3:37:00 PM More reviews by josiemay

I love this stuff! doesn't feel like i have anything on.. i use this before i apply my bare minerals make up! I can work out and my make up is still on..just wish mac had a better package.....
Best primer & Spf ever =]

rated 1 of 5 on 10/3/2012 12:15:00 PM More reviews by Dscampbell83

I used this product faithfully until I realized they changed the formula! I even called Nordstrom where I bought it and asked specifically if they changed the formula, and they said they weren't aware of that and maybe I just got a lemon. I exchanged it, and it was exactly the same. Very runny consistency, smelled like sun screen, and made my face sticky, and I broke out. Now I'm on the hunt for a new primer with good sun protection :(

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2012 4:42:00 PM More reviews by teenofchrist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this primer and it works so well on my skin and lasts so long. I usually wear this and then put on my MAC Studio Fix Fluid. It makes my skin smooth and my makeup lasts so long. I have super oily skin and this works miracles for me. I highly recommend this product to everyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2012 3:33:00 PM More reviews by pollyblue2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm on my 2nd tube of this. As a primer/sunscreen it's great for my oily/combination skin - it goes on smoothly and makeup applies well on top of it. It really prolongs the wear of my makeup and helps prevent shine. I find it's better if I use it on top of an oil-free moisturiser - applied to my bare skin it can cause spots.

On the downside, the packaging is grim. Looks lovely yes, but the tube is quite rigid and makes use difficult - once you're about half way through the contents it becomes increasingly difficult to get the product out. This is irritating, especially as it's not a cheap product - for the money I'd expect the packaging to be fit for purpose.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2012 1:08:00 AM More reviews by athind

I am obsessed with this product! I have very oily, acne prone skin, and was looking for a primer well suited for my skin type. A friend of mine knew this, and bought me the Prem
+ Prime SPF 50 for my birthday. At first when I tried the product, I absolutely hated it! I did everything I had done before with other primers; cleansed my face, toned, moisturized, and applied this primer. Very quickly I noticed how greasy my skin felt, and my MatchMaster MAC foundation looked terrible for once. After a week with putting up with this, I went to the closest MAC store and asked the associate to do an exchange for me. She asked why I wanted to exchange it, as it would be the best one she had to offer for my skin tone. Her answer to my response was to not wear the moisturizer before the primer. This primer is supposed to be your moisturizer, sunscreen, and primer. Ever since I took her advice, I can't imagine my life without it! Keeps me matte and flawless all day, can't say enough good things!