November 28, 2014 | 915 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #252 Large Shader Brush

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2009 4:07:00 PM More reviews by aguadora

The 252 I have is an SE (came in the eye brush set with a black leather case), and like other reviewers have mentioned, this brush is of ENTIRELY different quality than the regular one. Mine is scratchy and coarse, almost like straw. I don't think it's taklon. It did seem to soften up a bit after I washed it, but I still wouldn't use it for the delicate under eye area. It's still okay for eye shadows though, so I've ended up tossing this in my travel kit, because I don't want to risk losing my 239 which stays safe with me at home.

I might look into the 242.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2009 1:04:00 PM More reviews by pulidobl

Not my favorite brush for applying concealer or eyeshadow. My Stila #5 beats this one for shadow placement - It is more dense and a better brush all around. I prefer synthetic brushes for applying concealer. The goat hair in this brush is dyed the orange color and mine has faded over time from washing it. I was disappointed in this brush compared to my other brushes from MAC. I ended up throwing mine away and it is only a couple years old.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2009 8:33:00 PM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've had this brush (large shader brush) for about 6 years. I use it to apply concealer, as well as, to apply a small amount of MAC prep + Prime eye to my lids and it works great for these purposes. For my eyes it is much to large to use on my lids for applying eye shadow, so I use the 239 to apply es to my lids. Overall great brush and I am happy with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2009 10:39:00 PM More reviews by amhalal

I've really grown to appreciate this brush. I bought it and the 239 for eyeshadow at the same time on an SA's recommendation. I started using the 239 immediately, thought it was the perfect size for my lid. I barely touched the 252, believing it was too large, didn't care for the synthetic bristles, and resented having purchased it. That was until recently, when I decided to give it a try, and now I love it! I can do my entire eye with it, three colors including crease - the tips and edges are angled to offer precision when needed. I took it on a week-long trip recently and it was the only brush for eyeshadow that I used (didn't even touch my usual travel eye brush kit). It washes up great and dries quickly. I now use it more than the 239 (which is great but can be hard to get clean), and consider it among my favorite brushes.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2009 1:09:00 AM More reviews by jenjentizzle

I just got this brush at my CCO today for about 20 or 21 bucks, I believe. I have the SE of this brush from a holiday collection last year but that one scratched my eye so i decided to get the full size one. It sure makes a difference. The quality is so much better too. So soft and dense to pack on colors. Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2008 10:36:00 AM More reviews by babypinky

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I think it's a little bit large for eyeshadows but it does a great job with concealers! I use this brush to put on my undereye concealer and ther result is great. If you think that undereye concelaer is an important part of your make up, then you should take a look at 252.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2008 9:31:00 AM More reviews by BrandedPrincess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This brush is good to pack on color from eyeshadows that aren't great texture, like parafait amour. The texture on that is crap.
Otherwise, it's not a must have brush. I wouldn't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2008 2:09:00 AM More reviews by furbz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

when i asked an mua at mac for a brush that was good for highlighting the browbone, this was what she recommended. at first i was using a smaller sonia kashuk brush which i noticed still wasn't able to blend away that line from the crease color and the browbone color itself, it drove me nuts.

the 252 is a big & firm enough brush to cover the entire browbone quickly and be able to get rid of that hideous line i previously mentioned. i know people use this for other uses like on the lid and for concealer. i personally think there are better brushes out there for that.

edit: i still love this brush for highlighting, but for blending out the color below it, the 227 works better!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2008 5:32:00 PM More reviews by macalcia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Just USELESS. Does nothing as an eyeshadow brush and hurts as hell if used as a concealer brush. It's sitting (not so) pretty at my makeup stash because even tough it's crap, I don't have the guts to throw it on the garbage - after all, it cost me some money...
For eyeshadow application all over lid, I recommend MAC #213 and for concealer, Sephora's ou Bare Escentuals'.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2008 4:14:00 AM More reviews by iwasntlazyinmay

This is the very first brush I bought from MAC. I have used it for 2 years now and it still does the trick for me. I used it to pack on color for an all over eye lid look. This is actually larger than my lid but I love it anyway. I use my loew-cornell maxine's mop brush for a more defined look but the 252 is much larger and packs on the same amount of color.