July 31, 2014 | 1506 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 3 of 5 on 3/25/2012 12:17:00 AM More reviews by Prncs06

Purchased this for use as a makeup primer. I did not have any of the application problems other reviewers have described- no pilling, and I did not find the product to feel heavy or apply unevenly. Unfortunately, this product broke my face out considerably. I attempted applying it over moisturizer as recommended by the Clinique SA, but it still caused cystic acne. I have sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin. Disappointing, since a friend of mine uses this stuff religiously and makes her makeup look like perfection! Maybe the fact that she has extremely dry skin (total opposite of mine) makes the product better-suited for her skin-type, not sure. So although it does not work for me, it definitely works for others. I believe it's her HG primer/sunscreen! I passed off the remainder of my tube to her. As far as packaging, I liked it- travel-friendly and easy-to-use squeeze tube.

Be sure to shake well before using!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2012 7:25:00 PM More reviews by irvinjon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

AWESOME!! AWESOME!!! being an combination skin with acne prone skin. im realy picky and cautious on what i use on my face.. well its an awesome primer and now summer is getting near here at canada , im gonna use this awesome product as my sun protection and also a great makeup primer :P, this never broke me out and I use this everyday in school all I can say that its awesome product!

PROS:
light coverage
doesn't break me out
good for everyday use
it makes me flawless

CONS
kinda oily (but can be set by powder)]

OVERALL ITS AN AWESOME PRODUCT! ILOVE IT!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/28/2012 6:07:00 PM More reviews by mikazuki

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

A bit about me:

I'm half Asian, half Caucasian, with neutral NC25/NW25 skin. Very oily in the T-zone and cheeks, a little dryness around the mouth and eyes. Very acne prone with lots of red marks from old scars.

What I think of City Block:

I have a love-hate relationship with this product. I love that it's a physical sunscreen, and the dewy finish (since my skin goes all oily no matter what I do, it's nice to have a primer step that naturally works with my skin). However, I find it really irritating to apply. It tends to ball up and depending on the day, blends quite poorly. I find I have to work very quickly and apply it in circles to really work it in. Because of this, I keeping trying to find a replacement sunblock/primer, but I really can't find one that performs the exact same function. And really, for the price, I can't complain too much. Overall, I think I will continue to use this product. It doesn't break me out and it provides the daily sunblock I need.

I use it as a base over my skin care products and under my foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2012 10:51:00 AM More reviews by juliet1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I go through a tube of this every 2 or 3 months and my only regret is that I didn't start using it sooner. I'm thirty years old and a couple of years ago started to notice that my skin was showing some early signs of sun damage - fine lines and pigmentation on my forehead. I'm fair but have lived in a hot country for the last ten years and should have listened to advice about wearing sunscreen earlier! Anyway, wanting to prevent any further damage as much as possible I decided to invest in this product and I haven't looked back. It protects my skin very well, i never burn even in the summer when I'm outdoors (although I do try to reapply when I remember) and the subtle tint is perfect for taking away that white cast I hate so much with other sunscreens. I am acne prone but this product has never broken me out, and I love that it's fragrance free. I really feel that daily use, winter and summer over the last couple of years has prevented my skin from much further damage from the sun's rays. The packaging is great too, I just wish the tube were bigger as in order to get the maximum sun protection you have to use a good sized amount and so the product does end up being quite expensive considering I have to purchase so often.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2012 12:17:00 AM More reviews by meghab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love, love, love this sunscreen! Good level of SPF, tint to counteract the white tinge sunscreen can give you, and minimizes excess oil - great all around daily protector! Some people use this as a moisturizer on its own, but I need something extra so I pair it with Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. Gives me an ideal level of moisture and a great base for makeup.

I have both sensitive skin and have a tendency to break out. This sunscreen doesn't irritate my sensitive skin and doesn't cause me to break out so I would never give it up! Convenient sized tube for at home and travel, and I would have to say that it's not a horrible price - pretty average for what is currently available. However, I would say that you get your money's worth.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2012 9:14:00 AM More reviews by kerry31

I wear this year round in place of moisturizer as I have oily/combination skin. If you have dry skin you may need to use something else with it. Works really well under makeup (no need for a primer); love the fact that it contains physical SPF as I can't use chemical. The tint is very light and won't cover much, it is meant to counteract the white cast that physical sunscreens typically have.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2012 4:58:00 PM More reviews by gingertoes

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using this stuff for, let's see now....about 13 years. The first 7 years in Australia, the last 6 in the UK. I'm a redhead with pale skin and the tint works really well, it covers the redness in my skin a little without covering my freckles. I love that it doesn't smell like sunscreen and settles into a mat finish. This winter my skin has felt dryer than usual and I've found the city block makes my skin feel a little dry by mid-afternoon, but I know it will be fine again when the weather warms up and my skin settles down.

For a 35 year old Aussie redhead who's had her fair share of sun, I think my skin looks pretty good. I have some fine lines around my eyes but most people I meet think I'm in my late twenties. During the day I don't wear foundation, all I need is mousturiser, city block, a little touche eclat under my eyes, and I'm good to go.

One tube lasts me almost 6 months, which is pretty good value for money.

Update - I've started using the SPF 40 version, which feels much the same although maybe a bit runnier and easier to apply.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/5/2012 1:19:00 PM More reviews by anaclaudiaaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this at Sephora after asking the lady there to recommend me a daily sunblock. The texture is kind of weird, feels like there's always a little bit of liquid disconected from the actual cream. Although I know that no parfum it's better I wish this had some, because to me it really stinks. I don't know if it's just me, does anybody has these problems?
About the protection and blending I find it ok.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2012 3:29:00 PM More reviews by caradiangela

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'd like to rate this a 4,5 if possible. I use it as a TM, without moisturizer or foundation, and I like a lot about it. Such as the fact that it's fragrance free, has spf 25 and doesn't feel greasy or make my face oily. I think in the summer, the color will be too light for my tanned skin, but for now it blends in quite nice. Evens out my skintone, hides minor imperfections (I have good skin to begin with) and leaves a dewy finish that I like. Also I think it's moisturizing and will maybe be too heavy in warmer weather. But as said, for now I really like it and recommend it! (But beware of the ghosty way you'll appear on picures ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2012 4:43:00 PM More reviews by cindy007

I do not love this sunscreen, because I do not love any sunscreen, but for all those that I have tried I like this one the best. For some reason, other sunscreens out there break me out. Cystic acne! Clogged pores! Blackheads! Small zits, big zits, medium. You name it. This one will not, however. This sunscreen protects the state of your skin as much as it protects it from the sun. Also, it will not burn your eyes.

I recognize that it is a little difficult to apply and is goopy, streaky, etc etc etc. It does take time to put this stuff on. HOWEVER, it will not destroy your skin the way the other sunscreens will.