November 24, 2014 | 1582 users online

Mascara - Christian Dior - Diorshow Black Out Mascara

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2012 11:24:00 PM More reviews by beautybloomers

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's okay, but Benefit's "They're Real" is our favorite!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2012 3:09:00 AM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Of all the mascaras I've used (many), I have to admit this one gives the longest, lushest, darkest, spikiest lashes with the least effort. No other mascara has to be layered with it. I am sure it is mostly because of the huge brush. I tried the original Diorshow first, but it has a strong flowery smell. I then found that Black Out has no smell so I tried that. I also tried the Iconic, which I found less satisfactory.

All of them dry out in the tube really fast. They become too thick to use without a hassle after a few months. While still newish, it is by far the best mascara I ever used for length, volume, and darkness. The one problem is that you may not realize your lashes are a bit too glamorous and spiky unless you see a photo of yourself wearing it. The way to avoid that is not to use more than two coats. I love this mascara, but it is very expensive - over $20 - and doesn't last very long. It's kind of temperamental the way it builds up in gobs on the brush. I don't usually feel like fighting with it so I don't use it much lately. But then that is because I spend money on about ten different brands at a time to rotate and it gets forgotten so it dries out.

This mascara still qualifies as my favourite, my number one, even though I don't always want that dramatic look. Sometimes I do! I will definitely always buy this again, periodically. There is no perfect mascara and a lot of it is in the technique you use to brush it on. This one guarantees a visible difference with almost no effort.

Edit: Sept 21/12: I uploaded a picture to show my haircolour for another review. I'm wearing two coats of Diorshow Black Out mascara, which I think looks as full and long as 3 coats of any other brand.

Edit: May 7, 2014: I uploaded a pic from 2009 showing the full glory of my Diorshow Black Out. I am not currently using it as I've been trying out other highly rated mascaras.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2012 10:19:00 PM More reviews by Susanner

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have long but somewhat fine downward pointing lashes. I work hard to achieve a good curl with a Shu curler. This mascara is so thick and somewhat dry that I find that by the time I get it on my lashes evenly it weighs them down and pulls the curl out. It's OK if I do several thinner coats making sure not to get it too heavy near the root but then it starts to clump. It is very black as the name indicates. The brush is too big. I have a lot of long but fine lashes and this does not allow me to bring them out. Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2012 4:48:00 PM More reviews by cleopatra44

Love this! My eyelashes look fantastic when I use this, long, thick and very black. This does not cause any irritation to my eyes, I have very sensitive eyes. This lasts all day and I have had loads of compliments since I have started using this mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2012 3:11:00 PM More reviews by Beautyandhealth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this stuff! I was using it for a year and loved it, but when I ran out I used a cheaper alternative as it was very expensive. I started to use Voluminous Carbon Black, which also was not too bad, however other people noticed a reduction in lash thickness, volume and length. I think next time I will buy DiorShow again, as I do believe it is worth the extra money. The only thing is I found I was buying new mascara with Dior faster than other products. It tends to run out faster. Other than this I am a lifetime fan.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/9/2012 10:20:00 PM More reviews by fionahz

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Clumpy, Clumpy, Clumpy!

The Dior SA told me this wouldn't clump, in response to a direct question from me, but from the very first use this was gluggy and gave me big clumps on my lashes. I look like an old lady drag queen. Horrible, even if I wipe the brush multiple times on the edge of the tube I still get way too much on my lashes. It sticks them together into clumpy spider legs.

I'm going back to my favourite MAC Zoom Lash, or even Maybelline Full 'n' Soft. Both of those are much, much better than the Diorshow.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2012 1:37:00 PM More reviews by lilprincess428

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I am obsessed. Beyond obsessed. I have repurchased this so many times already I can't even count. I love trying new mascaras and trying to get that thick and long fake eyelash look. I do like my eye makeup (mainly my lashes) to be dramatic- almost Kardashian like. This mascara does that, although it is not too much for daytime either. I have tried so many different mascaras, and this by far gives me the best result: thick, long, curly and most of all, it stays all day! I have not had any issues with smudging or flaking, and I wear contact lenses so it seems like I'm messing with my eyes all day. I recently added the Diorshow Maximizer primer which just makes this product even better (I will do a separate review for that). This mascara does dry out quicker than some others, but I get so happy when I buy a new gooey mascara that reminds me why I love it (as it obviously doesn't work as well one it starts drying out). I would recommend this mascara to everyone- it does a great job of making your eyelashes stand out!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/25/2012 10:51:00 PM More reviews by chienblanc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

WTF?!?! I have used this for two weeks now and it never fails to give me racoon eyes within 2 hours. I was actually surprised at the amount of smudging, even though I do the whole primer/powder routine around the entire eye area. Honestly, a drugstore brand outlasts this one. Although I love the extreme black pigment and volumizing effect, I will not be repurchasing. Not worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2012 2:41:00 PM More reviews by keewee88

I'm shocked that the reviews aren't better on this... Originally got it as part of a sampler pack at Sephora and have used it ever since!

To me, it does everything it should - darkens, lengthens, thickens... When i need waterproofing, i layer Loreal Lash Stiletto over it and it stays on through whatever... (i mean, i dont go swimming with it, but normal sweat and tears...)

It definitely dries out a little quicker than others, but nothing crazy. To be honest, i actually like that it does in that it reminded me to replace it - i'm one of those people who forgets to replace mascara on a regular basis...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2012 4:16:00 PM More reviews by Kimberlyj33110

Kind of disappointed with this one.

Color: pretty black, but not as black as it is made out to be. To me, Chanel Inimitables Intense is more pigmented.
Formula: Thick, wet
Brush: nothing special, a little fatter than your normal wand
Wearability: in humid weather it seems to leave a ring around my eyes

If the formula didn't smudge, was more pigmented,and if you could apply it without wiping it a million times on the side of the tube before applying....then maybe I would buy it again. Not worth it.