November 22, 2014 | 1238 users online

Hair Treatments - Joico - Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm for Thick or Coarse Hair

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2010 3:41:00 AM More reviews by pinaro

Great product for my chemically treated, very dry hair. Joico also does not test on animals, so I love the fact that my beauty does not cause any suffering :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2010 1:20:00 AM More reviews by CityGirlNY

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is it, my deep conditioner HG. My hair is thick, past my wait, and frizzy. I need a THICK conditioner, not something watery, but it also needs to have slip to detangle. This one blows my previous favorites--Kerastase Masquintense and Moroccanoil Masque--out of the water. It moisturizes like nothing I've ever seen, and yet it doesn't weight down the hair. And compared to the other brands, it's cheap--we're talkng $13-17 for 8 oz. My mom, whose hair is finer but also dry from color, said it was miraculous also. HG, HG, HG!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2010 7:43:00 AM More reviews by hippihanna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love. This is the best hair product that i've used. its so thick and rich but still glides onto the hair. Makes my hair so moisturized and actually relaxes it. Its better suited for thick haired girls like myself because it could be a bit heavy for thin hair types and oily scalps.

Update: This is a good moisturizing conditioner but recently it's just leaving my roots really oily. I guess it worked better when my hair was dry and damaged but since i've stopped coloring my hair and using heat on it, my hair is healthy and i don't need such heavy conditioners anymore. I still would recommend it for thick and dry types however.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2010 7:25:00 AM More reviews by Anja89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this treatment balm based on the great reviews and I must say that I'm not disappointed! I have pretty thick and dry hair, but after this treatment it feels shiny and soft, amazing. It's the best deep conditioner I have ever tried. The only thing I don't like about it is that my scalp gets oily a but faster than usual when I use this, but this happens because my hair is kind of short so I can't avoid applying it to my roots. All in all, I would recommend this balm to everyone with thick, dry hair. I don't think it would suit people with thin hair because it could weigh it down.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2009 3:48:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was a very hydrating treatment and it boosted shine. My hair felt soft and looked less frizzy. It has a ok smell that didn't linger or create allergies. I bought a small tube of it to try it out and I think I will invest in the bigger tube. Very good if you have dry, thick hair. I let mine sit for three minutes in my hair and could tell a difference as soon as I rinsed it out. My hair felt like silk and some of the extra bulk was reduced so that I was able to wear my hair down without it poofing up so much. Worth a shot.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2009 9:44:00 AM More reviews by bludvls849

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

After reading the glowing reviews here, I gave this a go. I have what would appear to be the target hair type for this conditioner (thick and coarse, wavy) but this didn't leave my hair softer at all. I tried using this in conjunction with coconut oil, in case it was my dandruff shampoo, nizoral, that was drying my hair out, but that didn't make any difference either. This leaves my hair feeling gummy, and doesn't rinse out well.

L'oreal nature's therapy is half the price and will continue to be my HG!

EDIT: I changed my mind. This is super nice :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2009 7:57:00 PM More reviews by tammallama

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a really wonderful moisturizer!! It is a tad heavy for on my baby fine tresses but I only use it once every two weeks. I had to buy this one because my local beauty supply was out of my beloved K-Pak Intense Hydrator, and I am glad I did! In comparison it is equal for moisture , although this one seems to really 'melt' into the hair better than k-pak and isn't as heavy either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2009 3:33:00 PM More reviews by armaclin041584

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

So this product gets an A+. And the price is completely worth it to me for the results. It cost me about $13 for a little bit over 8 oz. I used about 2-3 tablespoons(and I have 4 a/b type hair, can be course but also fine) and it completely saturated my hair with ease. I usually am very heavy handed with my products that I deep condition with and a little bit of this product goes a long way. And I love the scent!
I deep conditioned for 20 minutes with heat and my hair came out so moisturized, bouncy and detangled. I love, love, love, this balm. It's now my #1 product for deep conditioning. My hair has never felt this good before. And I will buy it again in a heart beat, even if the price goes up. This company is also environmentally thoughtful which is an added bonus.

UPDATE (10/2012)
Three years later and this still is my HG of deep conditioning hair treatments. Have yet to find one product that can compete with this...In Love!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2009 10:23:00 AM More reviews by kalipunct

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

After reading the amazing reviews for this, I decided to try it out (the whole Moisture Recovery line, actually). I have been using Joico products for a year now, and have been happy with them so far. But for over a month now, my hair has been very dry, and nothing seemed to really help. Except for this product, which is amazing!
Where nothing else worked, this product really did what it said. My hair has recovered its moisture and feels silky-smooth, its shiny, with no frizzes nor fly-aways. Simply perfect. It doesn't weight hair down either although my hair is not coarse nor thick, just very-very dry. Even my split, dry ends are moisturized!
My hair hasn't felt this good in a very long time.
I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2009 8:28:00 PM More reviews by bitsits

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Like everyone else who reviewed this, I have thick, dry, color-treated, multitextured hair. This stuff is spectacular. It's the first deep treatment I've used that makes a definite difference in how my hair feels. Does what it advertises. The smell is sort of whatever conditioner fragrance, not offensive, not amazing.

One caveat: It has to be rinsed thoroughly; it will leave your hair greasy if it's not. I can't imagine it would work for fine hair at all for this reason, but who am I to say what works for fine hair.