April 23, 2014 | 1123 users online

Treatments - Joico - Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm for thick or coarse hair

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2010 7:25:00 AM More reviews by Anja89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this treatment balm based on the great reviews and I must say that I'm not disappointed! I have pretty thick and dry hair, but after this treatment it feels shiny and soft, amazing. It's the best deep conditioner I have ever tried. The only thing I don't like about it is that my scalp gets oily a but faster than usual when I use this, but this happens because my hair is kind of short so I can't avoid applying it to my roots. All in all, I would recommend this balm to everyone with thick, dry hair. I don't think it would suit people with thin hair because it could weigh it down.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2009 3:48:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

This was a very hydrating treatment and it boosted shine. My hair felt soft and looked less frizzy. It has a ok smell that didn't linger or create allergies. I bought a small tube of it to try it out and I think I will invest in the bigger tube. Very good if you have dry, thick hair. I let mine sit for three minutes in my hair and could tell a difference as soon as I rinsed it out. My hair felt like silk and some of the extra bulk was reduced so that I was able to wear my hair down without it poofing up so much. Worth a shot.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2009 9:44:00 AM More reviews by bludvls849

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

After reading the glowing reviews here, I gave this a go. I have what would appear to be the target hair type for this conditioner (thick and coarse, wavy) but this didn't leave my hair softer at all. I tried using this in conjunction with coconut oil, in case it was my dandruff shampoo, nizoral, that was drying my hair out, but that didn't make any difference either. This leaves my hair feeling gummy, and doesn't rinse out well.

L'oreal nature's therapy is half the price and will continue to be my HG!

EDIT: I changed my mind. This is super nice :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2009 7:57:00 PM More reviews by tammallama

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a really wonderful moisturizer!! It is a tad heavy for on my baby fine tresses but I only use it once every two weeks. I had to buy this one because my local beauty supply was out of my beloved K-Pak Intense Hydrator, and I am glad I did! In comparison it is equal for moisture , although this one seems to really 'melt' into the hair better than k-pak and isn't as heavy either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2009 3:33:00 PM More reviews by armaclin041584

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

So this product gets an A+. And the price is completely worth it to me for the results. It cost me about $13 for a little bit over 8 oz. I used about 2-3 tablespoons(and I have 4 a/b type hair, can be course but also fine) and it completely saturated my hair with ease. I usually am very heavy handed with my products that I deep condition with and a little bit of this product goes a long way. And I love the scent!
I deep conditioned for 20 minutes with heat and my hair came out so moisturized, bouncy and detangled. I love, love, love, this balm. It's now my #1 product for deep conditioning. My hair has never felt this good before. And I will buy it again in a heart beat, even if the price goes up. This company is also environmentally thoughtful which is an added bonus.

UPDATE (10/2012)
Three years later and this still is my HG of deep conditioning hair treatments. Have yet to find one product that can compete with this...In Love!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2009 10:23:00 AM More reviews by kalipunct

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

After reading the amazing reviews for this, I decided to try it out (the whole Moisture Recovery line, actually). I have been using Joico products for a year now, and have been happy with them so far. But for over a month now, my hair has been very dry, and nothing seemed to really help. Except for this product, which is amazing!
Where nothing else worked, this product really did what it said. My hair has recovered its moisture and feels silky-smooth, its shiny, with no frizzes nor fly-aways. Simply perfect. It doesn't weight hair down either although my hair is not coarse nor thick, just very-very dry. Even my split, dry ends are moisturized!
My hair hasn't felt this good in a very long time.
I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2009 8:28:00 PM More reviews by bitsits

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Like everyone else who reviewed this, I have thick, dry, color-treated, multitextured hair. This stuff is spectacular. It's the first deep treatment I've used that makes a definite difference in how my hair feels. Does what it advertises. The smell is sort of whatever conditioner fragrance, not offensive, not amazing.

One caveat: It has to be rinsed thoroughly; it will leave your hair greasy if it's not. I can't imagine it would work for fine hair at all for this reason, but who am I to say what works for fine hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2009 4:53:00 PM More reviews by FeeFee34

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using deep conditioners since I was probably, oh, about 12 years old because my thin, curly, medium-length hair needs extra moisture and has very brittle ends. For the last year, however, I went on a complete deep conditioning hiatus because it never seemed as if it made a lasting difference on my hair. Off the top of my head, I've used the Biolage deep conditioner for thick/course hair, Garnier Fructis' deep conditioner in the lime green pot, and even Joico's own K-pak deep conditioner (which I'll admit wasn't suitable for my hairtype because I don't color my hair). The Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm has turned me back into a believer. I love and swear by this product. It makes my hair soft, bouncy, and healthy, and the results last for longer than just the next day after use. Furthermore, there is no build-up and it doesn't weigh my curls down--in fact, it helps define them.

Once a week, I get my hair damp in the shower, coat my ends in this deep conditioner, then leave it on for the rest of my shower. At the end, I rinse this out and shampoo and condition like normal. For the rest of the week, my hair is left softer, more manageable, and just plain prettier. I will happily repurchase again and again . . . and again, but to be honest deep conditioners tend to last me a long time, which is why I don't recommend using cost as a purchasing factor. I think a full size tube costs around $15 (and lasts forever), although I know my local Ulta sells $5 sample tubes with a liberal amount of product as well.

I should also write that I DON'T use this in conjunction with the matching Moisture Recovery shampoo and conditioner. I've tried those in the past, and, while decent, had a weighing-down effect after prolonged use.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2009 7:26:00 PM More reviews by artemis513

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was afraid that this balm would be too thick for my fine hair, but my hair is pretty strong and you only need a tiny bit so it's been working really well for my relaxed hair. I love all the Joico products I've tried (esp. K-pak) and this just adds to that list. Really good for deep conditioning after hardcore protein treatments like the Aphogee 2-step.

(I also want to point out that this product DOES NOT contain denatured alcohol. An earlier review has the ingredients listed with this ingredient and I am looking at my tube of this balm and it is not listed on mine. So don't worry about that if that's a factor for whether or not you want to purchase.)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2009 9:28:00 PM More reviews by lindsayloohoo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have a lot of long, fine, wavy hair that can be coaxed to curl. Even though my hair is not the target demographic for this treatment, I have yet to find anything that beats this deep conditioner. It does not weigh my hair down, and moisturizes beautifully - creating bouncy wavy curls whenever I use it. I haven't even tried the shampoo that partners with this. I just leave this on for a few minutes in the shower, and it works wonders. I suppose I could leave it on longer and sit underneath my dryer if I needed added moisture, but it really is unnecessary for me. I think I will always have this on hand - especially when I've gone a bit longer than I should for a trim. It helps take away frizzies and ease those tangled ends. Excellent. My HG deep conditioner.