August 30, 2014 | 1583 users online

Scrubs - Dermalogica - Daily Microfoliant

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2013 7:18:00 AM More reviews by GirlFromB

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Rating is very much influenced by price, which is way high (66EUR in Belgium)

I used to be a fan of the Clinique 7day scrub but than learned that scrubbing is damaging to the skin and skipped to exfoliation because my skin needs a take-the-dull-layer-away action now & then. I love the effect of this exfoliator, and have repurchased before, despite the totally steep price. Aside from the exfoliating effect due to enzymatic action, it also contains salicylic acid to deep cleanse pores (a must ingredient for when my skin acts weird).

However I hated how much product I spill e-v-e-r-y time. I find it difficult to turn the powder into a "cream" without any grid (to avoid the scrub effect) within the limited space of my hand palm, sometimes I just slather it on my moist face in the shower, anyway I always end up with half of the expensive powder in the bath tub or sink - so I gave up on regular use.

Now I really want to share my new secret of how I re-started to use this recently.
I'm already using the Shiseido Cleasing Massage brush with my cleansing cream for a while and - on a desperate bad skin day/week - grabbed for it while my eye caught the Microfoliant catching dust in my closet and thought : "Hey!"

Tadaaaaa! A match was made in heaven. Here's how I do it:
- wet brush and face
- dry hands
- put some powder in palm of your hand
- work up to a lather with the brush and apply to face

Since the Shiseido brush is super gentle and soft, it's safe to use this with the Microfoliant I guess - anyway no irritation so far (haven't tried this with Dermalogica's brush thought, which seems like no good idea since their brush is exfoliating on its own).

So: Dermalogica Microfoliant + Shiseido Skincare Massage brush = clear, exfoliated skin without spills! I hope you read it here first, otherwise I'm afraid I'm poaching about a discovery of a very unhidden treasure ...

You can also read my review about the Shiseido Skincare Cleansing Massage Brush on MUA.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/19/2013 12:22:00 AM More reviews by whereismymind59

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

In my college course we used exclusively Dermalogica products, and I can honestly say im not impressed. I never purchased the daily microfoliant, but I had it used on me (and I on others) on a weekly basis for facial class and we all hated this stuff! First of all it is honestly a hassle to use since you have to mix it with water, annoying this number one. Second it SMELLS. God I can just remember the weird indescribable scent of this stuff.

It does a fair job of exfoliating- but nothing to make a dramatic difference (usually after exfoliation your skin feels softer, and looks brighter) All this did to me and many others was dry out our skin. I personally have combination skin and I would become uncomfortably tight after rinsing daily microfoliant off. I found my skin to be more dehydrated and dry looking every time I used this, and I had to over compensate with more cream than I would usually use. ALSO this stuff gets stuck on your face. Im talking stuck in your eyebrows, and hairline....no matter how much you rinse or wipe it just wont go away! Having to mix this product to activate it, and taking forever to remove it is a bit of a hassle to do regularly.

For the price, I don't believe that this is worth it. I mean if you have access to it, and some money to blow and you want to try it out, go for it, it may work for you. But after what I went through in class im sure me, and all my classmates want to stay far away from this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 7:35:00 AM More reviews by Kinga80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for years. I love it! Always end up with some up my nose ;). Gentle enough to use everyday and always gets purchased as soon as I run out!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2013 6:56:00 PM More reviews by smmalloy

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this product. It's truly gentle enough for me to use every day and I feel it's made some difference in my aging (OK, aged!) skin's brightness. What I really like about it is that I can use a creamy cleanser to take off my makeup and the microfoliant gets rid of the excess along with the dead stuff that I presume it's getting rid of. I hate that it's so expensive -- in fact, I have yet to buy the full size because I got a generous sample on Birchbox and swapped right here on MUA for another one -- but a little does go a long way.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 3:52:00 PM More reviews by alina08

I really do not see any grand results with this exfoliant. I know it is gentle and I know it is supposed to be for sensitive skin, but I still felt like my face needed exfoliating afterwards. That coupled with the exorbitant price of this warrants a two-star rating.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 8:05:00 AM More reviews by misseva

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is an exxelent product. Microfoliant is a product I can't live without. I just bought a second bottle. Exfoliation is a must procedure to keep skin beautiful and glowing. My skin type is kind of problematic because I have a problem with flaking and a proper hydration doesn't help, I need to exfoliate daily . This product is a life saver :
1. It doesn't irritate ( my skin is very delicate )
2.The skin is left glowing and ultra smooth

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2013 3:02:00 PM More reviews by MushroomFace

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this scrub because of the rice-based powder and it's ease of accessibility.

My sister uses a scrub with this ingredient and it's excellent but she gets this imported from America, so it is very expensive.

Daily Microfoliant is a white powder which should be mixed with some water to turn it into a paste. You rub this in your face and massage it in for about a minute. Then wash it off. I found it made my skin soft and removed my dry patches from the first use. I have eczema also, but this did not irritate it or bring it out. Bonus.

PROs: It works!

CONs: Pricey and I received staff discount of my friend!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2013 4:09:00 AM More reviews by Sured20

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was introduced to the Dermalogica line after getting a salon facial. My overall impression of the line in general is that i like it, but I'm not so thrilled with it that I want to pay the expensive price. Ive found less costly products that work just as well. see my reviews if you are curious. The microfoliant is something I'll stick with, despite the $50 one bottle costs. first, i only use it once a week. despite saying daily in its title, unless you have super oily acne prone skin, this is likely too harsh to use every day. It contains salicytic acid which is often used to treat acne due to its exfoliating action. Even using this twice a week seemed to dry my skin too much so Im down to once a week on this and a diff brand mild scrub on another day. The directions are pretty accurate with how much to use. i like to use it at the sink so i can really rub it in and let it sit just a couple moments to make sure it really gets to work on my pores. My skin is very soft and smooth after. I make sure to moisturize to avoid drying. this is one of the best exfoliants out there because it doesnt have the large rough beads many do. people tend to think you need that to exfoliate effectively, but the truth is its smaller particles that get down into the pores and get the cleaning out done. the large beads just remove the surface skin and can cause more irritation.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2013 9:46:00 PM More reviews by babyjane14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

It took me a few goes to get the hang of using this but now its fast become an important part of my skincare routine. It's a white powder that you mix with a bit of water to use as an exfoliant. Only a small amount is needed and I rub it in circles all over my face and neck to exfoliate, then leave it on for under a minute and rinse off.

After use, it leaves my skin feeling baby soft and removes any dry patches. I like how its effective but doesn't feel harsh on my acne-prone skin.

Overall, a really great product so I'm happy I bought this in full size and I will continue to repurchase this product from Dermalogica.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2013 8:28:00 PM More reviews by combatmedicwife

I received a sample of this at an event I recently attended. I used it as directed and liked it well enough. Good for everyday use- oatmeal is soothing and the texture provides gentle exfoliation. This is GREAT for absorbing excess oil, too. But $52 for 2.5 ounces? HahahahaNOPE. Not for what the main ingredients are. I prefer to save the big bucks for things that make a huge impact, like IPL or Botox. Dermalogica may want to lynch me after saying this but...
I decided to do an experiment. I looked at the ingredients in this product and decided to try to make my own. I put non-instant oatmeal in a coffee grinder and blended until it was a powdery consistency, then I added brown rice flour and 4 drops of tea tree oil. I don't see the point in adding the other things, such as ginkgo, essential oils, and random things added for consistency purposes; but I guess I could if I wanted to feel fancy. So I prepared my concoction as it says to on the package. Put a teaspoon in the palm and add some water to make a paste, massage into face and leave on a few minutes. The texture isn't as smooth as the Dermalogica, but it feels the same on the face and I got the same results. I keep the product I make in a glass storage container and can use as much as I want. I don't have to be frugal with the amount either. I can make a darn close replica this (even with Ginkgo and essential oils) for less than a tenth of the price.
Edit: If you hesitate to make it yourself because you don't have the "papain enzyme and salicylic acid" to add- be reminded this is a product you wash off after a few minutes- do the ingredients really have a lot of time to sink in to do any good anyway? Take your money and invest in a good face cream.

17 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No