Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 2/2/2015 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

8/12/2015: Something I'd like to edit and note is before coconut oil came into the picture, my nails would be wrecked and peeling several days after bleaching my roots. This happened once every 4-6 weeks, so it took a toll on my nails as you could imagine. Ever since adding coconut oil into the equation however, my nails show no sign of wear and tear from touch up day. THATS how much it protects my nails, and if it's unintentionally doing that for my nails - imagine what it's done for my hair. Again - coconut oil is a preventative measure only. If you do not believe me, google "coconut oil bleaching". I didn't come up with this method nor pull the science out of thin air - the long hair community taught me. :)

EDIT 8/6/2015: I'm still using my coconut oil method when I go to bleach my roots. However I made the plunge to buy Olaplex a while back and that actually repairs broken bonds. I find C.O to be a preventative measure (as stated below). I'm bumping it up from 4 lippies to 5 because I really appreciate what it's done for me. I use both C.O *and* Olaplex when i touch up my roots once a month - six weeks.

Original review:
Edit: Ive gotten some whiney PMs about how I should give C.O a 1 lippie if I can't use it as a cleanser.......please don't pm me. I don't care enough to reply so im just putting this as a note so any other creeps won't bother.

I've gotten a few questions about this so I'm going to write a review. Hopefully this helps steer a few of you in the right nerdy direction.

I'm not alone when I say I personally break out like hell on earth if I use any form of coconut oil near my face. Unfortunately I bought this to try it out as a make up remover and despite washing my face afterwards, it still found a way to clog my crater pores. Luckily there are plenty of other beauty uses. I now use this for my hair. Today I will be explaining the importance of coconut oil as a haircare staple.

The molecules of coconut oil are one of the very few that are small to penetrate hair, vs coat it. There is a myth going around haircare forums that coconut oil has protein in it and that's why it makes such a good deep conditioning mask for hair. That's simply not true, and you would be able to determine this from taking one look at the nutritional label. Coconut oil does not have any protein in it.

Fortunately, there is a scientific backing for using coconut oil as a "protein mask". When coconut oil is put on hair it absorbs (again...penetrates the hair shaft). The polarity of coconut oil causes it to have an affinity for protein that's already in your hair. It bonds with the protein for as long as you have residue of the oil in your hair. Thus, this makes it harder for your hair to lose protein when you go to heat style or bleach it (any type of damage, really).

It is easier to preserve your hair's natural protein with this than it is to rebuild the protein bonds. I'm a big believer of "damaged hair is better than no hair" when most haircare gurus will advise you cut off the damage. And while you can really not undo damage, and it is smarter to just prevent it, coconut oil does help savage whatever health your hair has left. It'll prevent further damage.

A few have complained that coconut oil will make your hair "crunchy". Trust me, I've been there personally so I know what that's like. And it's frustrating when coconut oil leaves your hair feeling like hard plastic, yet leaves other with locks of silk. IF COCONUT OIL IS LEAVING YOUR HAIR CRUNCHY, do not worry. This only means that the oil has returned to its natural solid state. Apply a bit of heat from a blow dryer and it will melt back into a liquid.

One amazing method for coconut oil is if you lighten your hair, apply a layer of this before hand. I have been doing this for about a year now with wonderful results. It helps the hair lightening product apply a lot more evenly, smoothly, and easier through the hair. I have been able to cut back on product purchases with this method because I need a lot less bleach to spread around. Additionally, again - it helps prevent damage by bonding a protective layer around the hair's natural protein. Note: DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE ONLY DEPOSITING COLOR. Some pros are able to do so with no problem - however - I would not risk it. There's a chance you could have the dye not take due to the layers around the hair's protein. Bleach can eat through almost everything...pigment deposition is a lot gentler. You're better off using a protein filler before coloring.

Last but not least - I always wash my face immediately after using coconut oil on my hair as it really does not play nicely with my skin.

on 1/31/2015 7:56:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It doesn't really matter what brand you buy, chemists and supermarkets stock a variety. Anyway, it seems coconut oil is useful for a huge range of things and for me that was the bumps of my thighs and bottom. Not sure if it classified as keratosis pilaris but they were unsightly and made me self conscious wearing dresses and shorts. I've been using coconut oil on them around twice a week and they've cleared up. I've used lotions with acids in them in a bid to dissolve them but I think my skin just needed some moisture and whatever else coconut oil contains. Give it a try, it works.

on 1/7/2015 10:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The BEST stuff ever for dry damaged hair. I bleach my hair and it is SO damaged. I only wash my hair a few times a week so whenever I am going to wash it the next day I put this on my dry hair before bed and then when I wake up shampoo and condition. My hair feels soo soft and actually holds a style. I can't believe I didn't know about this before. It's made such a difference in the texture of my hair. I also use this to remove my waterproof makeup and it works amazing for that as well. I will never be without this again!

on 1/3/2015 10:30:00 PM

So I've been off-again, on-again with EVCO. I like the moisturizing properties, I like the all-natural, totally-good for you simplicity of the product....but I don't like heavy oils on my skin. My skin isn't extremely dry, so oils usually don't absorb on me very quickly, leaving me (and everything I come in contact with) very greasy, even when I use sparingly. So, first I tried making mini EVCO "bars". I poured melted CO into muffin tins, then put them in the fridge. After my shower, I would rub a bar on my skin. This made it a little more convenient than getting oil everywhere, but the bar would still collapse to a melted mess in my fingers and I wasn't too thrilled about storing a half-melted mess like that in the fridge.

Enter Google searches! I learned that CO can be "whipped", to a texture like body butter. I didn't have a nice, fancy Kitchen Aid mixer, I decided to use some "elbow grease" and whip it by hand with a whisk. Yes, ladies, it can be done. And it wasn't hours of grueling labor, for me it was minutes. I had a nice, fluffy, white batch of EVCO "butter" that I poured into empty containers and cooled in the fridge. After a few minutes, I took it out and it looked and felt exactly like a body butter! Now I can dip a finger in and apply a small amount without becoming a greaseball! So psyched. My next quest will be making this with 92 degree CO. Maybe the melting won't be such a problem with that. But either way, whipped CO is the only way to go for me!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is a HG product for me! I have thick, curly hair thats fine, but I have a lot of it. My hair gets greasy and overloaded with product very easily. I've tried olive oil in the past, but that left my hair greasy, was impossible to wash out and did not make that much of a difference. I later went on tot ry coconut oil. I was having the same problems the first few times I tried to use it as a treatment, the same issues I had with olive oil but not as severe. Eventually I got the hang of it. I blow-dry and straighten my hair 3 times a week and very other day I wash it and blow dry again. What I do now is, the night before a wash and blow-dry I put a bit of coconut oil on my fingertips, about a dime-sized amount. I flip my head over and distribute the coconut oil through the length of my hair, focusing on my ends. I then put a small amount of coconut oil on my fingertips and I massage it onto my scalp. I then comb it all through with a wide-tooth comb and I put my hair in a bun for the night. I wake up, shampoo my hair twice very throughly, condition it, get out of the shower, blow dry, and VOILA! My hair looks amazing! At the high end salon that I go to, I usually get a deep conditioning treatment that costs about $20 to get it done. The coconut oil does just what the deep conditioning treatment does! Once my hair is blow-dried, it looks like it does in the salon, so silky and soft! Its a HG product for my frizzy, thick curly hair! I also massage a teeny-tiny bit of coconut oil into my ends every night before I go to bed in order to keep them moisturized and healthy!

I also use this as a makeup remover and when my skin gets very dry and/or chapped! I love it! This is an amazing product and all natural! I would recommend this to anyone!

on 12/17/2014 9:15:00 AM

Great as makeup remover and hair treatment

on 12/16/2014 4:59:00 PM

I agree with the other reviewers that coconut oil works great as an eye makeup remover. It seems to be great for conditioning the lashes as well. That's basically what I use it for. I transfer a small amount out of the large jar into a smaller container for use. I scoop a little bit out, let it melt in the palm of my hand, then pick it up with a cotton ball and wipe my eyelids to remove my eye makeup. One thing to watch out for, after time had passed, my smaller container was moldy! I didn't know coconut oil could get moldy! Other than that, it's great!

on 12/16/2014 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Basically, ditto what the person below me said, with a few additions:

> I love it as an eye makeup remover, hated it full face (yes, it's highly comedogenic) and in my hair (felt dirty after double lathering?).
> May be my imagination, but I swear my eyelashes have gotten longer since I started using it. Maybe less breakage due to drying mascara?
> I can't smell it, but my boyfriend swears he can.

One thing I don't like/wasn't expecting: When I bought it, it was basically a liquid with some solids in it. When I brought it home it is completely solid now, I mean not even a cream, but really solid. Kind of a pain in the butt sticking my hands in the tub and digging it out. I know I could microwave it for a minute, but it seems like a hassle. Wish there was a way to keep it liquid.

Really can't beat the price. Lasts FOREVER.

Things I use coconut oil for: EYE makeup remover, deep conditioning hair treatment.

I am reading horror stories on here about people using it as a full facial cleanser and makeup remover thinking, "well, yeah...it can clog pores." To be more clear, it is a highly comedogenic oil and thus, is not suitable for acne prone skin. So, if you know your face, you may know if this is right for you.

However, as a an eye makeup remover, it works great! You can really go to town rubbing mascara off with your fingers and swiping it all off with a tissue. No eye irritation because it's so gentle.

I've only used it on my hair a few times, but it works pretty well! I just slather some on my dry ends and shampoo it out. Can't say it's life changing, but does feel like a standard heavy conditioner.

on 12/14/2014 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Im in love with coconut oil. Its my go to for everything from hair to body its perfect.

What I use it for:
- Makeup remover, I find it fascinating how it gradually builds up all the makeup and makes it easier to wipe off.
- Facial scrum, easy DIY just melt it in the microwave until theres no more chunks and just add brown sugar.
- Body lotion, CAUTION when using it i prefer to use it at night that way it will soak in as I sleep without leaving oil residue anywhere.
- Hair treatment, I put it on at night, wash it out in the morning (shampooing twice just to make sure theres no leftover oil that will make my hair look greasy) and leaves my hair frizz free, super shiny and soft.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products