November 27, 2014 | 1602 users online

Fragrances - L'Artisan Fragrances - Vanilia [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2005 5:51:00 PM More reviews by BasiaS

A pleasant smokey and dry vanilla that's not sweet. Floral and woody notes keep it from smelling like a cheap, cookie-like fragrance. Pretty, but I do prefer SMN's version of non-foody vanilla. Lasting power is extremely poor, so 1 lippie down.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/4/2005 9:07:00 PM More reviews by ylang

I can't put my finger on it, but every time I wear this vanilla I become annoyed with it about 15 minutes into wearing it. I think it is whatever "dark" note underlies this fragrance, which to my nose is a slightly rancid woody note. Plus there is something slightly stale and syrupy about it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2005 6:24:00 PM More reviews by Clarabella3982

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a non-sweet Vanila, I think it's a really woody one actually. It definitely doesn't have that coyingly overpowering artificial vanilla (extract) which can be quite a headache. I would say it's quite a unique scent, but it isn't very me, as I would love a little more floral tone to it...then it would be perfect!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2005 12:03:00 AM More reviews by cristaline

A nice floral vanilla, I can see why Vanilia would be popular. It's easy to wear and unobtrusive, just sweet enough, and soft amber promises just a bit of depth to keep it interesting. A thread of orchid flowers weaves in and out of a smoky, subtly musky accord and keeps this vanilla from summoning associations with food-like extract or pastries. My problem with it is that I find it too floral to give me the cozy comfort I associate with a wonderful vanilla. It's nice though and great for layering.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2005 9:20:00 AM More reviews by onmycue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Vanilia's vanilla is refined and soft, with very little warmth, but plenty of character. It's vanilla bean, not extract, with some of the flower tossed in, with a base of amber and spices--not to complicated or demanding, just kind of soft and fuzzy. Good for non-sweet vanilla lovers.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2005 10:14:00 PM More reviews by phospholipid

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I try not to read at other's reviews before I review a product but for this one, I can't help to wonder if I'm reviewing the same L'Artisan Vanille perfume. This is not foody, sweet type of vanilla fragrance. This vanilla fragrance is very flowery to me. I detect the heady jasmine right away with a melange of vanilla and musk on the background. The jasmine is so heady, it gives me headache. I can only compare this to Chantecaille Frangipane fragrance, which is a bouquet of white flower with vanilla base. I'm not sure if this is my kind of vanilla, I much prefer vanilla with woodsy base like tonka beans, labdanum, or sandalwood. But for those who love a non-foody, non-sweet vanilla, this is a very good choice.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2005 8:22:00 PM More reviews by Ivirginia

I found this to be way to ambery and peppery for me, not worth the price IMO. My nose is still itchy after sampling this today.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2005 3:01:00 PM More reviews by metaldog32

First off...I have never been a vanilla fan. Blame it on The Body Shop's vanilla line way back when in the 80's and 90's, follow that up with the slew of cloyingly sweet vanilla fragrances that flood the fragrance market today. Perhaps because of this, anything vanilla-like in a fragrance just sent me running.

So, you can imagine, that while at the L'Artisan counter positively swooning over Passage d'Enfer and cradling Premier Figuer, I was completely unprepared for the wonderful salesperson to suggest trying Vanilla.

I told her straight off I don't *do* vanilla in fragrance..but she told me that layered with Figurer it gives the fragrance added depth. As long as it is sprayed first and LIGHTLY, I was into it. So..I tried it. Light, and I mean very light application, then a spritz of Figuer...WOW...

Now..I love Figuer all by itself...so I figured, why not try this Vanilla...maybe it isn't so bad after all..I mean, I did buy the 1.7oz bottle. So...this week..every day, been wearing it..and the consensus is...am LOVING it.

Like I have said before, not a vanilla fan..but this vanilla is not overly sweet..it is elegant, it is a bit smoky..but I don't get any "ashtray" vibe at all..and I gotta admit..the amber vibe really puts it notches above any vanilla scent I have tried..with the exception of I Profumi's Ambra del Nepal..I really love that one too.

This Vanilla is classy and wonderful on it's own..plus it does double duty as a base layer for the Figuer..so I gotta give it 5 lippies..very happy I picked it up and gave it a try.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2005 7:48:00 AM More reviews by DunandaFalls

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

L'Artisan
Vanilia
is the most unique vanilla based fragrance that I know of with a
fresh, powdery and sparkling feel like no other I've tried. It is
just so light and tender, a description that sounds completely
feminine I know, but some guys could definitely pull this one off.
This one is very unique and I love it. It has a very slight
medicinal metallic edge that gives it a unique bite, but is a very
subtle fresh way. There
is a note in there somewhere that smells like a hotel pillow, but it
blends nicely with the other notes. It is also
the only strong vanilla fragrance I can recall of having a fairly
strong smoky note. Does it have tobacco in it? I can swear that I
smell it in there. The musky dry down is very nice as well. I know
it sounds strange but all of these strange accords together really
works. It does take a little getting used to, but it really smells
great. It wears very transparent and seems to fade away in just a
few hours, so longevity would be my only complaint.

Notes:
vanilla bean, wild orchid, vanilla flower, spices, amber

continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 2/1/2005 1:41:00 PM More reviews by Haesel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I received a generous sample of this in a swap. On me, the ashtray smell mentioned by another reviewer never went away. It sadly ruined a lush, true vanilla. I'm still on the hunt for a beautiful non-sweet vanilla-- one without cigarettes included.