October 25, 2014 | 1729 users online

Cleansers - Clean & Clear - Continuous Control Acne Cleaner

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2012 11:13:00 PM More reviews by sleon308

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've had acne-prone skin and very oily skin since I was 14 yrs old, I'm 23 now. As you can imagine I've tried dozens and dozens of different cleansers on my face over the years. So far this cleanser is the BEST I've found. My face is completely clear right now, and if I switch cleansers for a week the acne will start to come back, but if I go back on it it clears back up. I love this stuff, it has a creamy texture and it lathers very well. It smells pretty much like any acne cleanser, not bad but nothing great. The only thing is that it does not control my oily skin. I take spironolactone for that and I hardly get oily anymore. This cleanser is an essential part of my skin are routine. It cleans really well but sometimes I need to use a makeup removing wipe if I wear a lot of makeup one day. Highly recommended!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2012 5:03:00 PM More reviews by iamlizlemon

This is a non-foaming cream cleanser with 10% benzoyl peroxide & a lot of menthol.
--------------------------------------
THINGS TO NOTE:
(1) It is VERY heavy on the menthol to the point where it severely stings my eyes & even my skin if I leave it on for more than 20 seconds. I'm not even that sensitive to menthol!
(2) It is also very heavy on the benzoyl peroxide (10%). I used to use a 5% and a 10% wash from my dermatologist so I believe this is quite strong.
(3) High % of BP bleaches towels & clothing.
(4) Does not lather or foam.
--------------------------------------
CONCLUSION:
The cream aspect of this cleanser actually doesn't dry my skin out nearly as much as the ones from my doctor. It doesn't seem harsh on my skin (no adverse effects) even though the % of BP is very high. I find that the best way to use this product is to apply it on DRY skin since it doesn't foam & just slides around on a wet skin. This oddly doesn't stave off my acne as well as the Neutrogena Clear Pore 3.5% BP facewash. The higher % of BP does NOT make this product more effective so I'm going to stick with a lower percentage. Because of that & the crazy strong menthol, I would not recommend this product over the Neutrogena (which also has menthol but does not burn).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2012 3:42:00 PM More reviews by Rahkayelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I never had issues with acne until this summer. I was on the pill before, but now that I'm in my early 20's, my body seemed to have changed; the pill made me nauseated every morning so I got off it and hoped that my acne wouldn't go crazy.

Nope! The breakouts aren't bad, but they're really annoying and I get oil on my forehead, nose, and chin. I was using regular acne face washes, so I decided to switch to this product.

So far, it's working really well, but I only use this once every other day before bedtime because that's what the bottle suggested for first time users/fair skinned people. You need to use it only when you need to, because less is definitely more. I've heard that it can irritate the skin on your face so bad that it feels "raw" and sunburnt; ouch!

If you don't have problems with acne (I'm talking about big breakouts, not a small pimple here and there), then I suggest that you do not use the product. It's very strong!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2012 2:56:00 AM More reviews by ellzabella

Over the last couple of weeks with the change in weather and final exams my skin was breaking out. Generally my skin is alright having the occasional breakout every now and then. My normal Dermalogica special cleansing gel wasnt cutting it. I was looking for something stronger or medicated and came across this, although i have only been using it for 1 week i saw the immediate changes after 1 use, it was amazing how the redness in my face went away and pimples disappeared almost over night. I use this one a day at night and use the dermalogica product during the morning. I think once a day s enough for me otherwise this product will be to strong. So far this method has worked well for me.
When using this product you need to be careful to avoid the eye area as it does sting. The smell may not be the best, but the clean feeling you have after is amazing, it has this cooling effect and it leaves the skin feeling clean. This cleanser isnt drying which is a bonus for me, as i found my normal cleanser a little drying and i had to buy a new moisturiser for night use.
This product is cheap and it does work, i have been very happy with this product and would continue to buy it. ^^ !

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2012 2:02:00 PM More reviews by dmeister3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this cleanser! It is my holy grail by FAR.
I have tried my fair share of face washes/cleansers from various brands and nothing even comes close to how this one performs. First of all, I can see and feel results almost instantly! It leaves my face so soft. I usually use this at night and I still have really soft skin the next day without using any moisturizer. It leaves your face feeling very clean and fresh. I have acne that pops up randomly and sometimes gets a little bad and this completely eliminates it.
I think it holds up to its claim that it keeps fighting breakouts long after you wash. It's very strong stuff, I think the strongest drugstore cleanser you can buy. Fantastic fantastic stuff! Well done Clean & Clear.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2012 10:25:00 PM More reviews by liviiflutelouu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the only cleanser that keeps my skin clear..well anything with a strong percentage of BP works well for me but this is a favorite! It's one of the only drugstore acne cleansers with 10% BP. It is a high amount but if you have oily skin it is a lifesaver!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2012 5:16:00 PM More reviews by keekz

This is my HG cleanser, I have been using it for years and have never strayed from it. I sometimes get the occasional pimple, and I'm not sure whethre this cleanser by itself helps at all, but It never breaks me out. I love the creamy texture and It always wakes me right up! I also love that this has only a few ingredients that I can actually comprehend, and its main ingredient is BP.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2012 8:27:00 PM More reviews by liezelerin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ever since I stopped using prescribed topical acne medication BenzaClin and tretinoin several years ago, I have been looking to try cleansers that wouldn't be so harsh on my skin. The tretinoin changed my skin drastically. It felt thinner and much more sensitive that when I once used a cleanser with salicylic acid, my skin reddened and I felt a horrible burning sensation. However, I found it hard to find any acne cleansers WITHOUT salicylic acid. Clean and Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser is one of the few acne cleansers without salicylic acid and is very effective. Maybe it's because I was once prescribed to medication with benzoyl peroxide? I don't know, but salicylic acid was always ineffective to my skin and after my tretinoin prescription, I became sensitive to salicylic acid. Therefore, I only use products with salicylic acid for spot treatments and a 0.5% astringent after washing my face.

After two weeks of bi-daily cleansing with this product, my skin cleared up drastically. I have very oily and acne-prone skin and I felt that this cleanser is really great at preventing breakouts. It's almost two years so far using this product. That's how great it works for me. With consistent use of this product, major breakouts should be very rare. This product has no beads in it, has a creamy texture to it, and contains menthol, so I find it very soothing when washing my face with this. But while the menthol feels quite soothing to the skin and leaves a minty clean feeling after rinsing, if it gets in your eyes, it stings VERY badly :(. So this is a product that you really must avoid getting in your eyes. Because I do have already oily skin, I haven't had a problem with dryness or flaking. I actually like the feeling that it leaves. It leaves my skin feeling tight and squeaky clean, which is a feeling I've missed since using tretinoin. This is a product that I'll definitely be using for quite a while and I recommend it to anyone who has oily/acne-prone skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 8:57:00 PM More reviews by AntiqueGlitter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I've recently started to really hate my acne (I have moderate acne, but I get a lot of big red pimples that no foundation is able to cover up), so I've been kicking up my skincare routine a notch. My new acne treatment has 10% benzoyl peroxide, and I'm using that in conjunction with this cleanser (this cleanser also has 10% benzoyl peroxide) and the Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion.
This cleanser works great. It cleans out my pores and gets rid of all my foundation without irritating my skin or making it red or flaky (please note that my skin is VERY tolerant; it can handle a lot of stuff, but "gentle" cleansers and medications with anything less than 5% benzoyl peroxide is ineffective, therefore I have to use strong skincare products). Then again, I don't really know if it dries out my skin or not because I constantly moisturize, even with my combination oily/dry skin.
The consistency is very creamy and lotion-like. It doesn't have those little microbeads that I'm used to, and it doesn't foam or lather up either. Using this is exactly like using a lotion!
I found out that this cleanser leaves behind a very cooling, minty feeling on my face after use. My sister used this cleanser too and she said she got the same sensation on her face. It's a rather odd feeling, actually. I don't NOT like it, but I don't hate it either. It wears off after a few minutes, though. I read some of the reviews here and it seems like I'm the only person other than my sister who's felt any minty sensation like this...
I haven't gotten any acne-clearing results yet, but I've only used this cleanser twice so I don't really expect to see anything yet. Hopefully the benzoyl peroxide will kick in soon! I'll update if I see any results.
Would I repurchase? I don't know yet.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2012 6:07:00 PM More reviews by yessy2323

This product really saved my skin. I have had horrible cystic acne since i was 12. The summer before my senior year I decided to try this out. I was amazed. It took 3-5 months for my acne to fully clear up and i had amazing skin after. I stopped using it and a couple of months later broke out all over my cheeks. I went back to this and cleared everything out. I love it!

Also it was very drying at first. I first started out only washing my face with this at night and used Cetaphil in the morning.

My skin care routine was wipe make up off with Olay wet cleansing cloths for sensitive skin. Then use Clean and Clear continuos control acne cleaner. Pat very lightly or just let your skin air dry. Wait about 10 mins for it to absorb and then i used the cetaphil face moisturizer.