July 31, 2014 | 1095 users online

Cleansers - Clean & Clear - Continuous Control Acne Cleaner

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2012 10:25:00 PM More reviews by liviiflutelouu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the only cleanser that keeps my skin clear..well anything with a strong percentage of BP works well for me but this is a favorite! It's one of the only drugstore acne cleansers with 10% BP. It is a high amount but if you have oily skin it is a lifesaver!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2012 5:16:00 PM More reviews by keekz

This is my HG cleanser, I have been using it for years and have never strayed from it. I sometimes get the occasional pimple, and I'm not sure whethre this cleanser by itself helps at all, but It never breaks me out. I love the creamy texture and It always wakes me right up! I also love that this has only a few ingredients that I can actually comprehend, and its main ingredient is BP.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2012 8:27:00 PM More reviews by liezelerin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ever since I stopped using prescribed topical acne medication BenzaClin and tretinoin several years ago, I have been looking to try cleansers that wouldn't be so harsh on my skin. The tretinoin changed my skin drastically. It felt thinner and much more sensitive that when I once used a cleanser with salicylic acid, my skin reddened and I felt a horrible burning sensation. However, I found it hard to find any acne cleansers WITHOUT salicylic acid. Clean and Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser is one of the few acne cleansers without salicylic acid and is very effective. Maybe it's because I was once prescribed to medication with benzoyl peroxide? I don't know, but salicylic acid was always ineffective to my skin and after my tretinoin prescription, I became sensitive to salicylic acid. Therefore, I only use products with salicylic acid for spot treatments and a 0.5% astringent after washing my face.

After two weeks of bi-daily cleansing with this product, my skin cleared up drastically. I have very oily and acne-prone skin and I felt that this cleanser is really great at preventing breakouts. It's almost two years so far using this product. That's how great it works for me. With consistent use of this product, major breakouts should be very rare. This product has no beads in it, has a creamy texture to it, and contains menthol, so I find it very soothing when washing my face with this. But while the menthol feels quite soothing to the skin and leaves a minty clean feeling after rinsing, if it gets in your eyes, it stings VERY badly :(. So this is a product that you really must avoid getting in your eyes. Because I do have already oily skin, I haven't had a problem with dryness or flaking. I actually like the feeling that it leaves. It leaves my skin feeling tight and squeaky clean, which is a feeling I've missed since using tretinoin. This is a product that I'll definitely be using for quite a while and I recommend it to anyone who has oily/acne-prone skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 8:57:00 PM More reviews by AntiqueGlitter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I've recently started to really hate my acne (I have moderate acne, but I get a lot of big red pimples that no foundation is able to cover up), so I've been kicking up my skincare routine a notch. My new acne treatment has 10% benzoyl peroxide, and I'm using that in conjunction with this cleanser (this cleanser also has 10% benzoyl peroxide) and the Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion.
This cleanser works great. It cleans out my pores and gets rid of all my foundation without irritating my skin or making it red or flaky (please note that my skin is VERY tolerant; it can handle a lot of stuff, but "gentle" cleansers and medications with anything less than 5% benzoyl peroxide is ineffective, therefore I have to use strong skincare products). Then again, I don't really know if it dries out my skin or not because I constantly moisturize, even with my combination oily/dry skin.
The consistency is very creamy and lotion-like. It doesn't have those little microbeads that I'm used to, and it doesn't foam or lather up either. Using this is exactly like using a lotion!
I found out that this cleanser leaves behind a very cooling, minty feeling on my face after use. My sister used this cleanser too and she said she got the same sensation on her face. It's a rather odd feeling, actually. I don't NOT like it, but I don't hate it either. It wears off after a few minutes, though. I read some of the reviews here and it seems like I'm the only person other than my sister who's felt any minty sensation like this...
I haven't gotten any acne-clearing results yet, but I've only used this cleanser twice so I don't really expect to see anything yet. Hopefully the benzoyl peroxide will kick in soon! I'll update if I see any results.
Would I repurchase? I don't know yet.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2012 6:07:00 PM More reviews by yessy2323

This product really saved my skin. I have had horrible cystic acne since i was 12. The summer before my senior year I decided to try this out. I was amazed. It took 3-5 months for my acne to fully clear up and i had amazing skin after. I stopped using it and a couple of months later broke out all over my cheeks. I went back to this and cleared everything out. I love it!

Also it was very drying at first. I first started out only washing my face with this at night and used Cetaphil in the morning.

My skin care routine was wipe make up off with Olay wet cleansing cloths for sensitive skin. Then use Clean and Clear continuos control acne cleaner. Pat very lightly or just let your skin air dry. Wait about 10 mins for it to absorb and then i used the cetaphil face moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2012 9:52:00 PM More reviews by PanAm

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I would like to mention that if it was not for this product I would have the worst high school/college years of my life.
Seriously.
I discovered this stuff years ago when I was in elementary school (yes, I have had bad acne my whole life). This stuff clears it right up. I use it daily. I have not been without it in years, but back when I was, my face was FULL of acne, the unpopable kind, white heads, etc. Oily, greasy, you name it. Now, I wouldn't say I still don't get pimples. I do. But they are NOTHING compared to what they used to be. I still get a few here and there, and of course blackheads on my nose and chin (but in reality, who doesn't have that?) My skin and nose is still really oily, but thats something I am just going to have to deal with because my skin is that bad.
If you don't have really intense acne, I would not try this stuff. It is not for the faint of heart or the mild acne user. This is if your full blown, about to go into social isolation acne. I love it more than anything, and continue to use it daily, sometimes twice a day. It has cleared up my acne, but I still have some and a lot of oil as expected. If you have nothing to lose though, try it. The worst that can happen is you end up using dots of it on intense pimples.

The price is kind of on the steep side (at least I think) for $5-$8 a bottle. I watch for sales and stock up because I cannot live without it. It works that well for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2012 8:40:00 PM More reviews by jen1103

Even though I don't use this product anymore because it's too drying for my skin, I feel it has gotten an undeserved bad rap from people who don't realize what this is. To clarify:
1. This has 10 percent benzoyl peroxide - the strongest percentage available.
2. Benzoyl peroxide will dry your skin and make it flake - that's pretty much what it is designed to do (plus kill acne bacteria).
3. This is intended for people who have ACNE and most likely OILY skin.
4. Even some people with oily skin will be sensitive to benzoyl peroxide and shoulnd't use ANY product with this ingredient.
5. Benzoyl peroxide can and will bleach clothing and linens - one of the drawbacks to this ingredient.

So I used this for a while on my back and it cleared it up... but it's just too drying for me. I am now using PanOxyl 4% creamy wash and that's better. My skin just can't tolerate 10%. Everyone is different.

One true negative for this product - it contains menthol, which not only does nothing for your skin, but can be extra irritating as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2012 12:30:00 AM More reviews by twocentsworth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I think that this product is excellent for getting rid of those deep cystic pimples. This is not your average cleanser and you have to use it sensibly to get good results and not hurt the rest of your skin.

I have sensitive skin which tends to be dry and although I don't get acne, I occasionally get cystic pimples that take ages to go away. I use this cleanser as a spot treatment. I put it on the troublesome area, massage it in briefly and let it sit for a minute then I wash it off. I do this once a day until it has gone away. It is definitely drying which is why I don't use it over my whole face or all the time. It usually gets rid of them in 3-4 days when it would otherwise take 2-3 weeks.

I have been buying this for about 8 years now and I will always keep a tube on hand just in case. As a warning though for the newly initiated, it will bleach your towels and clothing if it comes in contact (even when you think you've rinsed it off) so be careful or use white towel ;)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/19/2012 10:45:00 PM More reviews by livinggreality

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I dont know if its just me, but this product broke me out SO badly!
this is my first BP cleanser so maybe it's just the fact that I may be allergic to benzoyl peroxide but my skin is not sensitive at all, and even as I applied this my skin burned and itched like never before.
horribly disappointed. will probably pass this on to one of my girlfriends who love BP cleansers.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2012 2:33:00 PM More reviews by lovetosparkle

I have been using another product that contained salicylic acid to prevent any breakouts, but found that is was not working to my liking. I decided to try a product that contained benzoyl peroxide instead and found the continuous cleanser to be one of the only ones at my drugstore that contained BP. I have normal skin and at first the cleanser made by skin really dry, using it once a day before bed. When I noticed this, I started using a really moisturizing cream with it, and within a week, my dry patches went away. It has really cleared up my skin and I continue to use it once before bed. Don't give up on this product if it dries out your skin because your skin is adjusting to the 5% benzoyl peroxide which is a strong acne medication.