Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo

3.8

Oryza sativa (rice) starch, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, kaolin, silica, acrylates copolymer, tapioca starch, fragrance, oryza sativa (rice) brain oil, beta glucan, avena sativa (oat) bran extract, rice amino acids, magnesium carbonate, hectorite, melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil, chloroxylenol. MAY contain: titanium dioxide.

UPDATE 10/2013: Upping my review because I still use this at least 2-3X a week - having tried several spray dry shampoos (some of which I still use on my overall roots), this is still hands down the best option for bangs and other areas needing precise application. I bought the travel size bottle (1oz) over two years ago and in holding the bottle up to the light, noticed it's still nearly half full. That's a steal of a deal! This has entered the fold of my HG products.

Original review:

I have bangs. And oily skin. And fine hair. This means that even when my hair is otherwise clean I'm prone to getting stringy bangs as my hair soaks up oil from my forehead - so when needed I use a pinch of this to clean up the greasy spots. I "poof" just the tiniest amount into my palm and then work it through my bangs with my fingertips, taking care to rub it in thoroughly. Then I give them a quick comb though. I have dark brown hair and this disappears with no powdery residue - you just have to be sure to rub it in well and brush out. Only takes a minute or two and leaves me looking clean and it seems to last through the day.

This is light years beyond the Oscar Blandi spray on dry shampoo, which dispenses too much chemical propellant and not nearly enough power to be effective and stinks to high heaven. This does work better than baby powder, but seeing that the primary ingredient is rice starch I'm going to see if I can buy some of that at my local health food co-op when this runs out. Which should be a while... even with frequent use a little bottle goes a long way!

I use this when I spend the night at my boy's house. There isn't room in my bag for a huge thing of shampoo/conditioner, so I just pop it in my makeup bag. Very convieniently sized, and it works wonders. Not quite sure about the tiny little applicator tip. I usually just twist the top off and shake some into my hand, then rub it together a bit to distribute. Just a dime sized pile of the sh*t and my hair is no longer greasy, and a bit more voluminous. It also smells great, to me just like Fruit Loops with a hint of lemon.
Also, if you smoke cigarettes (or anything else), this is great to prevent your hair from smelling like an ashtray.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

My hair gets fairly oily about 1.5 days after shampooing and this is a great product for getting through that second day when my hair begins to feel less than clean.The lemony scent helps perk me up while the product itself perks up my hair. The scent does fade after a while. It helps create volume, and it's also great for travel!

To use it, I pour some into a glass or the palm of my hand and then dip a cheap powder brush (like the E.L.F. Studio flat top powder brush) in and tap off the excess, then brush along both side of my part in the direction of my hair, around my hairline, and wherever else I need it. Brushing it on instead of squirting it directly onto my scalp really helps the white powder blend into my hair and cuts down on frizz because I don't have to use a hairbrush to brush it in like crazy. I find that's it's also faster to use this way.

I've been using the Pronto Dry Shampoo since 2008 and with weekly use have only recently had to repurchase a 1 oz travel size. It's more than serviceable, but I'm curious to try other dry shampoos. No matter what else I find, though, I'll probably always keep a bottle in my purse.

Edit: Another thing to note is that you can unscrew the top of the bottles to check how much product you have left, or to refill the travel size!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I've been using this for over a year and it works well enough to absorb oil in my hair and volumize, but sometimes the powder shows. Unfortunately I haven't found a clear dry shampoo I like yet so I'm stuck with this one. I also find it only lasts for 4-6 hours then the oil is back and I reapply or wash my hair. Maybe that's normal but I wish it lasted longer. Overall I have and will repurchase until I find something better. The price of the travel size at Ulta is worth it if you want to test it out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Doesn't blend well into my roots even if I use the smallest amount and then brush and blow dry my hair. It is bright white and no better than using baby powder, but many times the cost. Also smells bad.

This product really absorbs oil and volumizes your hair slightly. Feels a bit minty and smells like lemon. I have long black hair which gets oily easily and I'm used to washing my hair twice a day. With this, I can actually skip a day or two. It doesn't really cause a greyish cast provided u use it properly. When you put the tip of the bottle on your scalp, don't press the bottle (otherwise you will get A LOT of powder coming out), instead just gently shake/tap and it will release just a minimal amount. Usually to finish up i'll put some powder onto my palms, rub it together and gently massage onto my roots. It doesn't really give you a clean washed hair feel but neither will you feel gunked up or sticky. The most important is the hair no longers looks oily and flat.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

HG! If only this weren't so expensive! Yes, this is a powder, but it blends so easily that the color disappears quickly in my dark hair. This not only eliminates the look of oil slick when my naturally oily hair needs a washing that I have to put off due to time constraints, it actually makes my fine hair more voluminous, and leaves it nice and shiny. And it smells utterly fantastic. I love lemon verbena, such a happy scent. Seriously, I feel like Rapunzel when I have the Pronto in my hair. I don't much enjoy touching my hair when I have this on - the texture looks great, but it's not smooth or soft to touch - but I can't afford this enough to abuse it by overusing it anyway. Bottom line, when I need a dry shampoo, this is the one I prefer to use, when I can.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I hated this product at first. In the beginning, I applied it by sprinkling the powder directly onto my roots. I have dark hair and the results left a powdery white cast. I put this away and didn't use it for a long time. I was using Batiste for a long time and while it's good stuff, it also has alcohol in it which dries out your hair. The whole reason why I started using dry shampoo is so I don't have to wash it everyday because that's very drying for the hair so using a dry shampoo with alcohol defeats the whole purpose for me. I'm switching back to non-spray versions so I decided to give this a try again. Instead of sprinkling this directly on hair, this time I sprinkled it on my fingers, rubbed it together and then patted/rubbed into my roots. It works sooo much better this way than putting directly on hair! I tried baby powder w/cornstarch (haven't tried talc because it's suppose to be bad for you) but it didn't have the absorbency power that this does. With the baby powder, my hair still looked kinda greasy and if I added more, then my hair did start looking powdery. With this, you don't need a ton and it absorbs the oil very well and virtually disappears with my new method. Plus, I love that this has tea tree oil in it, it makes me feel like my hair is a little cleaner.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I use this product for "spot-cleaning" my hair. My hair is very fine and there's not much of it, so it's easy to go-overboard with products. When I do, I just sprinkle a pinch of this in the greasy area to mop up the excess. Because I use this product only a pinch or two at a time, I buy the small size, which makes the hefty price tag bearable.

Like most of Oscar Blandi's products, it's scented with their "signature" lemon-verbena scent, which actually just smells like an old lady's bathroom that has been recently mopped with Pine Sol.

I have very oily hair if I don't wash it for one day, and this product does a decent job in keeping my hair not looking totally gross when I am in a hurry. I hate how it doesn't blend well (I have to put it on and rub it in, then get it wet so it doesn't show). It does have a nice citrusy scent, and it works quite well for touch ups. I also don't like how when I do use it (not matter how little I use) it flies in the air and gets on my clothes.