July 29, 2014 | 1943 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Voluminous in Carbon Black

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2013 9:21:00 PM More reviews by msh9899

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I am an HE mascara girl and only rarely use DS brands. I find DS brands almost always pale in comparison to HE as, among other things, they are never black enough. Well, Voluminous is one of the few DS brands that I do like and since I'm a sucker for really black mascaras, I had to try L'Oreal Voluminous in Carbon Black. I wanted to love it so I could stop having to spend extra $ on HE mascaras but it just didn't cut it for me. It is very black, I'll give it that, but it's also very wet & shiny. I suspect as it ages, it dries up and is less wet & shiny but I couldn't stand it long enough to find out. I returned it. I gave it 3 lippies because the brush is great (big, traditional, bristle brush) and it is a truly deep, black mascara. Too wet and messy for me though.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2013 2:20:00 AM More reviews by ckb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love to try new mascaras and this one has been on the top of my To Try List. Yes, this is as it claims -- very carbon black. It darkens my lashes well. It does give volume, not length. I find that it's kind of clumpy and I have to wipe excess product on the back of my hand before applying. I don't mind doing this, but honestly -- I'd rather use my Jordana Best Lash Extreme to get these same results PLUS length, for less money. So, this is a nice mascara, but not one I'll be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2013 5:31:00 PM More reviews by mfguille

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have:
-oily eyelids
-straight, droopy lashes
-short, somewhat average thick lashes
-lashes usually won't hold curl

Pros
-thickens lashes without clumps
-can easily be build up
-doesn't smudge
-doesn't flake, unless I rub my eyes
-builds volume nicely
-Comes off with soap and water
-really black

Cons
-doesn't hold curl too well
-brush picks up a bit too much product

I wanted a mascara that would hold a curl, be really pigmented and give me noticeable volume, and this mascara worked pretty well. So far this is my HG mascara, though I sometimes use Jordana Best Lash Extreme. But I do prefer this mascara so much more. It would be perfect if it managed to hold a curl itself without the help of a waterproof mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2013 1:01:00 PM More reviews by doll107

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

This is my absolute favorite mascara! It's super black, gives tons of volume and never clumps! This is hands down the perfect mascara. I will definitely repurchase :)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2013 1:43:00 AM More reviews by njones93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Extremely black and shiny, and very buildable too! You really only need one or two coats. I have probably bought 10+ tubes of this in the past few years. I love how the packaging is chic and high-end looking, unlike most drugstore mascaras. However, it WILL smudge if you put it on your lower lashes, giving you raccoon eyes. Easy fix though: don't put it on your lower lashes!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2013 8:58:00 PM More reviews by RixTrix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My HG mascara. To me it is a dupe for Diorshow blackout mascara. Yes, the formula is wet at first but as time goes on, it dries very well in the tube. I love it!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/17/2013 6:48:00 PM More reviews by Lalolo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

DO NOT BUY THIS! it clumps, it does everything you do not want a mascara to do. Do not waste your money.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2013 5:00:00 PM More reviews by MakeupMist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my absolute FAVOURITE mascara I have ever tried to date. I am so happy with it that even when I try to buy new mascaras I always come back to this one.

First of all, it is truly BLACK as you can get. It separates all my lashes, gives them volume but it almost gives them this beautiful "feathery" and light look that I absolutely LOVE.

I recommend this to EVERYONE I know that is looking for mascara. I have purchased probably 10 tubes of this over the last few years. I don't think I will ever use another mascara unless for some ungodly reason they discontinue this one.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2013 10:07:00 AM More reviews by Lipstickaddict194

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

I cannot fathom the rave on this mascara. I believe this is one of the worst mascaras I have ever used. I will honestly admit that the color is nice, but that is basically the only thing I enjoyed about this product. First flaw: it smudges. I will go to the bathroom at school, look in the mirror and automatically get frustrated. The area under my eyebrows have several, huge smudges of black on them. I have no idea how long I have been walking around looking like that, so I have to wipe the smudges off, along with my highlighting eye shadow. These noticeable smudges are also on the bottom lashes, making the wearer appear to have had a mishap with some eyeliner. Second flaw: clumps when it is applied. When you sweep the brush over your lashes, they seem to automatically clump together and have smalls clumps on top of them. Third flaw: it flakes. When you simply touch the lashes, the mascara seems to break off with little resistance, leaving mascara flakes all over your face. Final flaw: this stuff is bordering on the edge of impossible when it comes to taking it off. I normally don't have to use makeup remover to take off mascara, but this one I did. It didn't even come off. I would wipe baby oil over them repeatedly, but some of the mascara stayed put. Once I wake up in the morning, I have intense raccoon eyes. There are rivers of mascara all around my eyes. If I take a shower, the mascara still refuses to move. I get out of the shower are the raccoon eyes are still evident. After scrubbing them with a damp towel, they are less bold, but now there are large smudges of mascara across the top half of my face.
This product, overall, was not high quality and I would not recommend this to anyone, unless they wish to waste their money.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2013 10:28:00 PM More reviews by stuffaboutbeauty

This is my perfect mascara ever. The thing I like best is that it is such a simple wand, it does the job and its not too fat so that I don't get it all over my eye when I'm trying to get the base of my lashes. It's not too goopy when I pull the wand out so I don't have all the extra product just sitting there in a mess. It is waterproof and doesn't clump up my lashes, it does harden but it doesn't flake off like some I have used before have. Would definitely recommend this over all other drugstore and high end mascara's out there.