April 19, 2014 | 1675 users online

Powder - Everyday Minerals - Matte Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 3/18/2011 4:59:00 AM More reviews by ALF1969

Well it's time for EDM and I to part company. I've been using EDM foundation for many years 5+ and was sure I would never use anything else. It went on smooth, lasted all day, didn't look like I was wearing makeup, no caking, perfect. I liked all the foundation formulations too (apart from pressed) and used them for different looks (o'glow for a natural look, semi for work, matte for evening and intensive in the summer etc). I stocked up (took advantage of the bulk buy discounts so I have not had to reorder since they changed their ingredients.
So I ran out and ordered another lot, and to my horror it's completely different! It goes on evenly but looks like a mask (bought all the formulations, even o'glow looks fake) and then after about an hour it goes caking and blotchy and I can see patches, especially on my nose, where the makeup kind of congeals, yuk. I tried using primers and finishing powders to prevent this but to no avail.
I emailed EDM asking if they still had any old stock or if they would consider making a batch [as I know from this forum and elsewhere that many of you don't like the new formulation with lauroyl lysine] but they never replied (not surprising given their customer service!). So I felt I should share this experience as I think many readers may purchase EDM based on reviews of the old foundation - which was awesome.
I've moved on Silk Naturals which hasn't been around as long as EDM and is (so far) very good indeed. Can't get a good colour match from any others e.g. Lily Lolo so this was the obvious choice. I used EDM golden medium in winter and olive medium in summer so need yellow and green undertones).
I hope this helps!

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2011 1:54:00 PM More reviews by bluestar21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

A word about the samples: try out the ďfreeĒ kits! I was initially turned off because the colors looked way too bright on my computer screen. In real life, they are more natural looking. I ended up ordering a full size of one of the samples I got Ė Matte in Linen. The color looks great on me in most types of lighting. The thought of finding a *perfect* match from 34 colors in 4 finish formulations (and supposedly the same color can vary from each of the 4 finishes) is daunting. But I think this works for me. I use a foundation brush to apply it (one from Ecotools Ė see my review).

I have very oily skin, especially on my temples, forehead and nose. I felt like liquid foundation was contributing to the oiliness. Itís not reasonable to think that a powder can soak up or stop all the oil your skin produces in a day. This definitely helps, but I still need to blot frequently.

Pros:
*beautiful, natural finish in just a minute or two
*great, ethical company that doesnít do animal testing

Cons:
*You will need to reapply this. Itís powder. Itís not going to stick to your face indefinitely.
*Can look *slightly* dull/overly matte. I can see why the original glow may be appealing now.
*You may still need a liquid concealer under the eyes.
*Could look powdery if you apply too much

Overall, I LOVE this. Iím hoping that this is the foundation Iíll always use (although I might play around with colors and the different formulations)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/2/2010 6:46:00 AM More reviews by naicha

When I first heard about EM, I thought it was everything I wanted from a powder foundation: light yet buildable coverage, completely natural and non-irritating, available in a myriad of colours. I love how it evens out my skin tone without looking like I'm wearing foundation and looks perfect when I first apply it, however I find that after a couple of hours it settles into my pores and really emphasizes rather than conceals them. It does a wonderful job on my sister, but unfortunately the almost creamy formula just does not give me the velvety and flawless finish I'm looking for.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2010 12:56:00 AM More reviews by kelslynie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love it! I have never found a mineral powder that works so well as this! It gives my face a glow, and it is so pigmented, you don't need to continue applying and applying it to work. It just does the magic with the first buff. I would recommend buying their flat-top brush to apply this. It works wonderfully. This powder is completely light-feeling, organic & great for your skin. I absolutely love it, I will never go back to any other mineral foundation ever again. Highly recommended.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2010 11:44:00 PM More reviews by VegasStar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This foundation is ok. It's a step up from liquid foundation, but there are better mineral foundations out there.

Cons - It appears somewhat powdery on my skin, the coverage is not as good as BE and it does not last through the day. It highlights each and every flake. I'm also not a fan of the packaging - the base is too wide and it's hard to get the product out without getting it all over the place. Will not buy again.

Pros - Non irritating. Inexpensive.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/2/2010 1:53:00 AM More reviews by Silverchair

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have this in the matte and intensive formula in sandy medium. For reference I am a mac nc 40-42. Anyway the intensive is fine, the matte breaks me out. I usually use both over my dior nude or nars sheer glow for better coverage. Whenever I use the matte it has broke me out. I now have about four breakouts clustered by my chin and I rarely broke out all year. This really upsets me. I am going to discontinue use and if I still break out I will update.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2010 11:17:00 AM More reviews by jenallyce

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use the matte formula in light tan for my nw25 skin, and I absolutely love it. I have been a die hard MAC studio fix wear-er forever. However, I started to dislike the cakeyness and noticed how I always seemed to be breaking out so I decided maybe I should try a new makeup without all the ingredients. I have tried bare minerals and the bismuth bothered me so I didn't want to try that again but I stumbled upon Everyday minerals. Not only does it not cause me to break out in anyway it feels light and looks great on. While yes by the end of my work day there isn't a whole lot left I don't really mind because it would have to be some serious stuff to stay put for 10+ hours. AND ITS SO CHEAP! Its great to find a makeup that is amazing, natural, and affordable. If you haven't tried this makeup give it a try!
I also just ordered their concealer, after I give it a go I'll edit to give a thorough opinion on that!

EDIT: 12-8-10
I am now using Alima Pure. MUCH better. Everday Minerals always looked chalky and no matter how i applied it brush or sponge I couldn't get it to go on even and smoothly.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2010 1:40:00 AM More reviews by sweetshiningstar

I have been trying the sample foundations for about a week because I can't afford much for a good foundation right now, and drug store foundation powders just don't cut it for me (the colors). I'm Chinese and I use Golden Medium (it's summer); I almost got a lighter shade for winter also, but then the next morning, applying the foundation, I realized it'll probably blend in very well for me for the winter too (looks light in jar, even for winter, tho I might buy a sample of Light Olive). So very versatile, love the color match!

*I do use a 50/50 mixture of intensive (good coverage) and matte (for oil control).* I have combo skin that is more on the oily side, and this mixture still has a glowy look (natural shine, not powdery or oily, no shimmers- just not powdery), and I do have to touch up my t-zone at mid-day, but that's with any foundation that I use.

*Update, I tried the semi-matte as the base, with a light layer of matte over my t-zone, and the semi-might is SO much more BUILDABLE; it ends up covering MORE than my intensive. I'm thinking I'm not going to buy the intensive (not very buildable) and am going to use a mixture of matte and semi-matte. I was scared the semi was going to be too dewy/shiny, but like a YouTuber stated, "it just looks like skin," meaning the matte finish is more natural, having natural reflection instead of a powder matte finish, but still without the kind of shine that oil leaves.

I'm going to be honest- I got the samples wanting to get Bare Escentuals Matte. I used it before and loved the mattifying qualities, and no bismuth oxycloride in that formula (makes your skin itch and/or break out). Also, BE tends to charge more and have less in the (same-sized *deceiving*) containers (read the packaging) every time they make a new formula. The matte formula is more costly and holds less product, so does the Mineral Veil with SPF!! So I could not bear myself to purchase from BE because it felt very deceiving for me to have to pay more for less (and have them not be honest about it-jar are same sizes!).

I ordered Everyday because I couldn't afford BE, and didn't agree with the company on the price issue, and I had seen so many good reviews online of EDM.

Pros:
-Creamier than BE, thus not necessary to use wet for heavier coverage. Actually prefer to use dry (which I never preferred with BE). Applying this wet I thing have it more of a sheer coverage, opposite of what I wanted.

*In case you're wondering about wet application, spray your brush with a water bottle, tap in foundation as usual, spray again- some ppl prefer before or after, I do both).

-Both formulas I've tried lasts for me all day, but I do like the matte mixture in my intensive formula. Makes me feel covered and mattified. (After the update I'll be using Semi-matte and Matte).
-MUCH cheaper than BE (Promo and discount codes are offered on website, look for them! I have SO many products in my cart for under $70).
-For my oily skin, mineral makeup and powder foundations are MUCH better for oil control. So much better!
-Better color match than the Laura Mercier foundation powder I was so in love with before I could no longer afford because it only lasted me 2 months. :( But I did use it every day, for foundation and for as a setting powder for when I tried a Chanel liquid foundation (not good oil control- way too expensive).
-Much better than the color match of my Revlon Color Stay (don't know what to use that for now...).
-*TIP*- Your O-Glo sample can be used as a highlighter on your cheekbones, if you don't like that formula. I would only use this over a matte or intensive formula base (over the O-GLO or Semi-Matte it would probably get too glittery, tho it is still subtle on my face).

*Definitely try all 3 of the formulas mentioned if you have combo skin. You'll never know what works best until you try them! The first ones tend to me more buildable!

CONS
-As with mineral makeup, full coverage is hard to achieve without a VERY good concealer. I have not tried one yet from EDM, but I am ordering mint and intensive medium. I'm hoping this will prime my skin well for a clean canvas. :) I have read very good reviews on both of these. (I'll probably get another liquid foundation for *special* occasions, but I can deal with some acne scarring on a day to day basis.

I can't WAIT for my order! :D Wishes to you all!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2010 4:44:00 PM More reviews by ilovebourjois

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I think this is the best foundation that I have ever used. It looks so natural on my skin that other foundations just dont compare. It has never made my skin look cakey,but if my skin is flaky it shows. It always looks great, its practically foolproof for me. I find the colour Ivory the best match for my lighter than NC 15 skin,linen when i have a slight tan. I was using the semi matte formula which i also love-but i find matte lasts slightly longer on my oily t-zone,which leads me to my favourite part of this foundation. When my very oily nose starts to look shiny,i can touch up my nose without blotting and the oil is gone,my skin is matte and looks flawless. Any other foundation I have ever used looks terrible and patchy when i touched up my nose,but not this one. I apply it with my everyday minerals flat top kabuki brush for the best coverage-i have very rosy cheeks and after applying this foundation they are barely noticable. I think I have finally found my Holy Grail foundation!
Pros:
-Never looks cakey.
-Matches my skin well.
-Controls oil well.
-Great for touchups.
-Contains no chemicals or bismuth oxychloride (bare minerals does)
-Great value(cost me 12 dollars and lasts me over a year-and i use alot)

Cons:
-Packaging-the sifter cover is useless,when the tub is new(and full) the product goes everywhere in the tub when you travel with it)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2010 5:46:00 PM More reviews by auramei

EDIT: Chalky. Winged Butter is so yellow that I look SICK. It will rub/melt off and leave me with "pink" spots on my face.

EDM wasn't the reason I was breaking out. I had switched to another birth control the same month I started using EDM again. Now, the pimple-period has passed and no more breakouts with EDM!

It's been 3 years since I've last used Everyday Minerals and I can't believe I have strayed away from their foundation line this long! I've gone through my usual makeup junkie cycles, having the need to try all the latest and "greatest" foundations that come out, but this EDM matte formula surpasses them all.

As a SE Asian with peachy, pink, AND golden tones complexion for my face with a yellow-golden neck, I have an extremely hard time finding the right foundation shade. From what I remember 4 years ago, MAC matched me to NC25-NC30.

Most drug store lines carry a multitude of pink shades (pink foundation does NOT counteract an already pink face) and very limited in golden tones. Even if the color matches, the next determining factor is how long does it last? I'm a busy girl. I don't have time to blot every 2-3 hours! Over the last 5 years, I came to the conclusion that except for a few drugstore brands, the best liquid foundation lines are found in department or makeup specialty stores. But wearing liquid foundation in 100 degree summer heat is unbearable and makes me very insecure.

Categorizing myself under combination skin, I have tested between Matte & Intensive and came to the conclusion that Matte works best for me in the summer & spring seasons. I will have to give Intensive a second chance during the winter when I am more prone to dryness, but for now, I love everything that the Matte formula offers! On average, I can go 5-6 hours until I need to blot & reapply a layer of loose powder. That is a record for me! The coverage is naturally beautiful! I look radiant and glowy. It doesn't look cakey, like a lot of medium-heavy coverage foundations (I.E. Revlon Colorstay) and the makeup doesn't "melt" by the 4th hour. The best part is my pores can breathe! After the first blot, I don't even realize that I have makeup on.

Yesterday, I had my makeup on from 11AM to 11PM. I blotted and reapplied a layer of loose silica powder by 6PM and by bedtime at 11PM, I had almost forgotten to take it off! Usually once I get home, I can't wait to remove all that gunk off of my face. With EDM Matte, I barely notice that I have anything on my face.

For shade reference, I ordered sample sizes in Winged Butter, Golden Medium, and Buttered Tan (in order of lighter to darker) for my NC25-30 face. Golden Medium matches me very well and Buttered Tan gives me a "faux" (but not artificially fake) glow, perfect for summer. Winged Butter oxidizes and turns me golden orange :(