April 21, 2014 | 895 users online

Liquid - Hourglass - Veil Fluid Makeup SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2011 8:40:00 AM More reviews by bunnymum

First let me say this is my first day using this product so I reserve the right to amend this review. However I had to comment that I am AMAZED at what a nice finish this makeup gives! This is the first foundation I have used that doesn't settle into fine lines. It actually took a couple of years off my face!

The reason I fear I might have to amend this product is if it affects my very sensitive skin. I tend to break out over the slightest thing and trying any new product is tricky for me. So while it feels great today, the true test will come in a few days to see if my skin reacts badly.

I'm really crossing my fingers that my skin takes to this product because I love the look of it. I have combination dry/oily skin with fine lines around the eyes and this makeup really makes my skin look even. I also like the slightly dewey look it gives. And the color is a perfect match (I'm using Nude).

So my first impression is that while it is indeed very expensive, if it keeps working like this then it's worth every penny! I also noticed it did not take much at all to cover my entire face so I'm hopeful one jar will last a while.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2011 5:29:00 AM More reviews by RougePot

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

My favourite foundation ever.
I have found that this foundation works very well on normal to dry skin/mature skin. Combination skin that is on the more oily side might find it not quite matte enough (if that is the type of finish you're after) and that it moves a bit as the day goes on.
But what I have found for me and the clients I have used it on is that it actually looks better throughout the day. It mingles with the skins natural oils and creates a gorgeous dewy complexion - well in my case, though I don't really have that bad skin...
It has a wonderful buildable coverage and if you use it with the Hourglass brush, the more you buff it in (using small circular motions) the better and more natural it looks.
I have had a bit of trouble finding the right shades in the Veil foundations for some people but then I'll usually turn to the tinted moisturiser (which still has great coverage) and find the right one.
If all else fails I'll then move on to the NARS Sheer Glow :)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/19/2010 11:42:00 AM More reviews by kyl101

I asked for a tester at Sephora and totally felt in love with this foundation when I first used it.
Then I purchased it the next day. However, the more that I use it, the more that I dislike it. The beautiful flawless effect only last for 2-3 hours even though I have normal-dry skin. And the color didn't match my chest and neck. The foundation is too pink for my skin tone. The color selection is quite limited compare to other professional makeup brand like makeupforever, mac...etc.
I really wanted to like this but it didn't work for me. I am going to return it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2010 9:39:00 PM More reviews by luisajames

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Boy is this stuff expensive ($60US) but does it ever do wonders for my skin. My skin is normal/dry, pretty problem free. All I wanted was something that looks extremely natural, not cakey or drying, dewy but not glittery, with SPF, doesn't clog my pores, buildable coverage, evens out my skintone, and I finally found it with this. I tried so many foundations to no avail and I finally tried the hourglass tinted moisturizer and it was wayyy to glittery/shimmery for me so I tried this and fell in love! I use Jane iredale pressed powder lightly as a setting powder and they last all day. This stuff is really worth the price.

UPDATE:
so i've been trying out different foundation options lately and while i found a couple other great formulas, i continue to come back to this. the staying power is really where it's at with this product. i wear this when i know i'm working a long day or staying out late because my makeup will look fresh 8-10 hours after i applied it and need minimal touch ups. the finish is the best i've found for my skin. the only downside with this product is i can't see when i'm running low since the bottle is opaque. bummer, but i will definitely repurchase and splurge on this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2010 7:07:00 PM More reviews by Debaloo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got a small sample of this at Sephora about 10 months ago when I was purchasing the Veil Primer (which lasts for months btw).
It took me until about a week ago to try it. I applied it with a foundation brush and found the coverage to be full and flawless and seems to match my skin perfectly. I have some acne discoloration and sun spots that I like to cover and this did a great job of it. I took the plunge and bought a bottle (#2 color). I was debating between this, the MUFE HD foundation which was appealing because I saw a tutorial where it was applied on Kim Kardashian, and the YSL foundation that was being worn by the Sephora employee. I chose the Hourglass because of my own positive experience with the sample and because it has skincare ingredients in it. I also got the foundation brush made by Hourglass that is supposed to be the prefered application with this product ($58), used to buff the product into the skin. Once I got it home I was initially disappointed because my sample was thicker than the product that came from the bottle, mostly due to the age of the sample I think. I was also not impressed with the brush initially because it didn't provide as full of coverage as a standard foundation brush. After some experimentation with the Hourglass brush, a foundation brush, my fingers and building the coverage I feel like a am getting closer to my ideal finish. Some tips so far... Put the product on your hand or a CD and dab the top of your brush into it, then stipple it onto your jaw line, go back in and buff it around that area, above and below the jaw line. Continue to blend it up your face in circular buffing motions concentrating on the frame of your face and buffing in toward your your nose. If you have visible pores and fine lines around your mouth, nose and eyes it is best to buff just leftovers from the brush, don't put fresh brushfuls in that area, I found it to settle a little too much into those pores and lines. What I like about this product is that you can build it, go back in and add more. I don't even have to use concealer, I go back over spots and blemishes with my finger and pat some product on those areas. I like the dewey finish as well- great for normal or dry skin. It looks best set with translucent powder. Overall I would say that it's versatile, has a flawless airbrushed finish and covers my imperfections without looking like a mask. Best foundation I have found so far!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/17/2010 11:10:00 AM More reviews by coreymreiter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have a light birthmark on my face, and I have had success with cover FX liquid foundation...I was approached by the hourglass rep who sold this to me, claiming it would be comparable, but the coverage is too light. The consistency is great for the rest of my face, but even patting some on with my finger after regular application didn't do it. Also, my oil broke through after 2 hours. I would recommend this for light full face coverage, but not for anything specific you want to conceal after application.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/12/2010 12:11:00 AM More reviews by classicpisces

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't like it. My oils break through this after a couple hours. I've been using Laura Mercier oil free foundation for years and can usually make it 4 hours before I need to blot. With this foundation I was extremely shiny after two. I tried different methods of application, different primers, as well as setting with different powders but nothing worked so it's going back. I can't justify $60 for a foundation that doesn't perform better than the my LM oil free one. The only think I liked was the bottle.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/31/2010 10:41:00 PM More reviews by pomeranians

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this foundation! I've tried just about everything in foundation there is. I am very fair. Foundations either make me look like a ghost or are too pink. I've tried Bobbi Brown, MUFE, Armani, MAC, Dior, I could go on and on. Number 0 is perfect.

Was in Sephora and got a sample on a whim. Color is perfect. Looks so natural. I have extremely dry skin and the foundation looks amazing on it. I'm hooked.

Updating - after trying for a few weeks, I returned it. Doesn't last on skin :(

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2010 6:03:00 PM More reviews by dancer156

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE that the lightest shade of this foundation matches my very fair and yellow toned skin perfectly. It has a very nice texture and smell, but really didn't provide that great of coverage. It was radiant when first applied, but did get a little greasy looking throughout the day. I think this would be a great product for those with dry skin who are looking for a more sheer-finish foundation.
***After trying countless foundations, I have FINALLY concluded that Gabriel Cosmetics works the best for me. The combination of their Liquid Foundation and Dual Powder gives wonderful coverage without causing greasiness or breakouts!*** :)

EDIT: 10/10/12: After trying Kat Von D's new Lock-It Tattoo Foundation, I am in love!!!! PHENOMENAL coverage without oxidation/greasiness. See my review on this for more details, if you're interested. Not super natural, but at least the formulation is without parabens, mineral oil, fragrance, etc. :)

Hope this review helps!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2010 8:40:00 PM More reviews by kathrynb23

I have a feeling this might be the next great foundation. I got a sample of this in Ivory about 1 week ago, I've been observing it closely and lets just say I love it. Nice flawless complexion that doesn't look heavy or cakey, light to medium coverage and very durable.
I think this with the right brush and a good powder (I used the SmashBox Halo) it could be my new HG foundation. Colour selection available at the moment for this brand isn't that big, but the colour that I was matched to is perfect for me. A youtuber said this might be the new NARS, I generally hated NARS foundation, so I think this could in foundation terms, could surpass NARS.
The SA at Mecca Cosmetica was very generous that day, the sample she gave me lasted a week now, and I'm only half way through, and that's not being stingy with the amount applied on daily, but I guess when my sample runs out, it back to the Mecca counter for the full bottle. Being at $89AUD this isn't cheap, but by far beats NARS Sheer Glow at $99AUD.