Giovanni Smooth as Silk

3.8

Not tested on animals

New version: Aqua (purified water), sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, decyl glucoside, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium cocoamphoacetate, lauryl glucoside, sodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate, sodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate, pyrus malus (apple) fruit extract, *aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, *chamomilla recutita (matricaria) leaf extract, *citrus aurantium dulcis (valencia orange) extract, *citrus grandis (grapefruit) fruit extract, *cymbopogon schoenanthus (lemongrass) extract, *echinacea purpurea extract, *ginkgo biloba extract, *glycine soja (soybean) seed extract, *lavandula angustifolia (lavender) extract, *rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, *macrocystis pyrifera (sea kelp) extract, *mangifera indica (mango) extract, *salix alba (willow bark) extract, xanthan gum, glycol distearate panthenol (pro-vitamin B5), citric acid, polysorbate 20, potassium sorbate, phenoxyethanol, natural fragrance. Older version: Aqua (purified water), Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil*, Valencia Orange (citrus auantium dulcis), Mango (Mangifera Indica)*, Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Schoenanthus)*, Ginkgo Biloba*, Echinacea Angustifolia (echinacea Angustifolia)*, Willow Bark (Salix Alba)*, Sea Kelp (macrocystis pyrifera)*, Chamomile Flower (Chamomila Recruita)*, Soy textured protein*, Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis), C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate (coconut derived), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Stearate, Dimethicone, Vegetable Glycerin, Polyquaternium 10, Olive Oil, Diazolidinyl Urea, Octyl 4-Methoxy Cinnamate (Sunscreen), Sodium Chloride (Sea Salt), Citric Acid (corn), Fragrance with Essential Oils.

on 10/9/2011 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

This shampoo is just ok, nothing special. It lathers well and feels very soft and moisturizing while I was washing with it and a little goes a long way. I jumped on the sulfate free/organic/natural bandwagon for a while about a year ago and honestly my hair does better with the sulfates and cones. I didn't notice much difference in my hair using this other than my hair seemed to shed more with this shampoo and conditoner. It's funny that the shampoo made my hair softer than the conditioner, the conditioner lost its softness effects in less than 24 hrs but the shampoo made my hair feel so good I almost felt I didn't need the conditioner. I won't be repurchasing this, it's average in every sense of the word.

on 10/5/2011 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my HG shampoo!!! I got a hug pump bottle of this for 12.99 at marshalls which is a great deal. I have tried quite a lot of sulfate-free shampoos and I thought I loved the organix brazillian keratin therapy one until I tried this! I realized the organix shampoo was really drying to my hair. My hair is really wavy and thick with a lot of frizz. This calms and smooths it like nothing else I have ever used!! It also makes it soo shiny no joke it looks like it could be in a commercial! Since using this, I have gotten tons of compliments on my hair, and this is the only thing that has changed! I really recommend this and will repurchase again and again!!

on 6/30/2011 12:49:00 AM

This is a really great product! I think perhaps some of the negative reviews are either from people who have oily hair and would be better off using the Tea Tree Triple Treat or the 50:50 Balanced lines - OR - people with long hair who don't really know how to care for it. For combination hair that has oily scalp and dry ends, wash ONLY your scalp with a very small amount of the shampoo diluted with water so it can rinse through and get to all of your scalp - do not wash the ends. Allow the suds from your scalp to run through your hair as you rinse and this will be enough to get your ends clean. You can also try conditioning the ends first and then washing your scalp and then rinsing the conditioner and shampoo out together and if you're *still* dry you can follow with a heavier conditioner or even a few drops of oil such as shea or coconut oil (I'm using argan). I use this shampoo a couple times a week and then once every one or two weeks I clarify with the 50:50 Balanced shampoo. This has worked great for my hair with oily scalp and dry ends. As for the price, you can get the huge pump bottles at Marshalls for about $13 which is a much better deal than the little bottles at Target and they're easier to deal with in the shower, too. I can even refill my large bottle at my local co-op, so that's something else to look into to reduce waste.

on 6/20/2011 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I've been using the Smooth as Silk shampoo and conditioner for years and love it. I have very long, thick hair with a lot of curl to it and this keeps it moist and healthy. I go to the Aveda salon for coloring and I find Giovanni shampoo/conditioner is better for my hair type than Aveda shampoo/ conditioner. I also like that this product is lightly fragranced, unlike the Aveda products. I wash my hair with this every other day and use the conditioner every day.

Before using this product I would occasionally have an itchy scalp. Basically, this shampoo cured it. My guess is that the grapefruit seed extract in the ingredients has something to do with it. I hope Giovanni continues to make this product forever!!! It's the best.

on 5/16/2011 2:22:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

My very damaged and overdry hair looks really good and quite healthy after using shampoo and conditioner combo of this line.

on 5/13/2011 2:17:00 PM

This sls free shampoo leave my hair feeling soft and it doesn't feel like it immediately needs a conditioner to detangle. I have tried too many sls free poos to count and my two biggest complaints are that they either don't lather well (which leave me thinking my hair isn't clean) or that they leave my hair a strawlike tangled mess. This shampoo, surprisingly, did neither one. It lathers well, leaves my hair clean, and thankfully, very smooth. However, I don't know whether it really moisturizes or not. I use shampoo to clean. I have trouble believing that a shampoo can moisturize (while not leaving my hair feeling greasy). I leave the moisturizing to the conditioner. I do know that sls free poo makes my color stay truer. That's a fact. I will repurchase Giovanni again. And for a sls free poo, you can't beat the $8 price tag.

on 5/12/2011 2:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This doesn't detangle as I'm shampooing at all even gently but firmly using my fingers to get it distributed - I've had other SLS free shampoos work much better than this one.

This is definitely my favorite sulfate free shampoo. I've tried so many, and this one actually leaves my hair soft, shiny, bouncy, and manageable. My texture is fine but thick, very dry, wavy hair, and used in conjunction with a good conditioner, my hair stays pretty and clean for about 3 days, which is longer than other shampoos and methods I've used. So, I am very happy to have tried this and my hair loves it!

on 4/18/2011 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Got this after looking at YT videos. Leaves hair clean feeling but soft... not with that dried strippy touch. I like it.

on 3/9/2011 11:44:00 AM

I tried this shampoo because I wanted to try something organic. Not impressed. The bottle is tiny, so you're paying for maybe 2/3rds of the shampoo you usually get (and it's more expensive)...so not a great value. At first I was ok with this, since I think it's worth it to spend money on organic products that work.

Well, this shampoo doesn't "work." It dried out my hair, and barely cleaned it at all. Even with conditioner my hair had a dry texture and looked unhealthy.

Would never buy this again.

Popular Shampoos