Revlon Colorstay Pressed Powder with SoftFlex

New version (2011): Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Zinc Stearate, Silica, Dimethicone, Nylon 12, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polyethylene, Octyldodecyl Glycol Grapeseedate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Isododecane, TrimethylsiIoxysilicate, Lechithin, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Cymidium Grandiflorum Flower Extract, Serica (Silk), Malva Sylvestris Extract (Mallow), Lilium Candidum Bulb Extract, Lactobacillus/Eriodictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Lauroyl Lysine, Synthetic Sapphire, Dimethiconol, Dimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) -------------------------OLD VERSION: Talc, Dimethicone, Silica, Nylon 12, Polymethylmethacrylate, Zinc Stearate, Perfluorononyl Octyldodecyl Glycol Meadowfoamate, Polyethylene, Trimethysiloxysilicate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Lecithin, Cymbidium Grandiflorum Flower Extract, Serica (silk soie), Malva Sylvestris Extract (mallow), Lilium Candidum Bulb Extract (lily), Lactobacillus/Eridictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Lauroyl Lysine, Alumina, Dimethiconol, Polydimethylsiloxane/Polymethysilesquioxane Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain ( /-): Mica (CI77019), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI77163)

on 10/15/2011 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I purchased this powder in Medium, because the Medium-Deep looked very dark in the packaging, but it turns out I should've got that because the Medium is too light for my NC42 skin (I should have known that though). Anyways I tried it on before washing my face one night (makeup free) to get a feel for the coverage etc, while I wait for my sister to bring me the Medium-Deep from the US, as that shade is not available in Canada. I had the product on for about 5 minutes, no more than that. My first impression is that it looked very chalky, so I can imagine it looking corpse-like and giving that lifeless skin look, although it was probably exaggerated on me since the shade was too light. It also made my face feel very tight and dry, so normal-dry skintypes should avoid this. After washing and toning my face that night, I woke up to a new pimple. The next day, two more, and one more the following day for a grand total of 4 pimples from 5 mins wear of this powder.

I was extremely disappointed because I love the Colorstay foundation and Aqua powder foundation. I know this product caused the acne because I have been home everyday for like a month and not wearing any makeup or trying anything at all new on my skin. This is the only culprit. I will keep this for using over my concealer around the eye area since I usually need a lighter color there anyways, but I'm not sure what I will do with the Medium-Deep shade that my sister brings for me!

on 9/10/2011 9:15:00 PM

Used this for a while and was pretty happy with it. Recently, I noticed they changed the formula to be mica based. My skin does better with products that contain little or no mica so I will not be purchasing this product anymore. However, the old version worked well for me and this new version might be fine for those who don't mind the mica.

on 7/7/2011 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have used this product for years and haven't found anything that works as well on my super-oily skin, including HE products. This is the powder that stays in my purse for touch-ups, so the point of this review is: while I love the powder and will continue to use it, I hate, hate, hate the new packaging. Just hate it. The old packaging was sleek and was easy to whip out, touch up and toss back into purse. The new packaging has plastic divider so the sponge is stored separately from the product (I know it's more hygienic that way, but I don't care) and the new compact is twice the thickness of the old package. So, using the new package involves opening two compartments to get the sponge and access the powder. It's bulky and awkward to use. And, to beat it all, there's only half a mirror (there was a whole mirror in the old packaging). Revlon, are you listening? The one upside is that, for new users, they can see the actual product color through the half-moon opening in the top of the compact.

on 6/15/2011 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Love this powder. I was using Maybelline Dream matte and wanted something that was still very matte (because I am super oily) but not so chalky and lasted longer. So I picked this up without having high hopes for it. I apply this to my t-zone only, I use Estee Lauder Lucidity powder all over my face and then just mattify my t-zone with this to keep me from looking like a grease slick within the hour. This powder is amazing, I remain oil and shine free for hours after applying, even my SO noticed a difference, which is saying a lot because he never notices anything different with my makeup. Well actually all he said was "wow your skin isn't shiny today!" (thanks hun)
I do apply this with the crappy puff it comes with, only because I leave it in my purse for touchups and there is no brush there. It does over apply sometimes when using the puff but it blends out fine. I thought it was a little expensive for a drugstore powder, that was my only gripe.
The package I bought this in was a black compact, full mirror, sponge sits on top of the powder, standard packaging. It's fine with me. I do not know if the half circle mirror is older or newer, I saw that and did not buy it.
Would repurchase.
Edit - have repurchase this twice more in the compact with the window on top and the puff sits underneath. I am using it over my entire face to set my foundation (applying with a powder brush) and for touchups during the day. No powdery look and still helps keep my face shine free. It is a little flat so I apply a bit of wet n wild bronzer in Reserve your Cabana overtop just to give it a bit of "healthy glow". Will keep repurchaing.

on 6/13/2011 9:48:00 AM

I have been using this on my t-zone to help control shine. The staying-power isn't great: I'm left oily again after a couple hours. If I apply any more than a feather-light layer, it tends to cake and settle into the fine lines around my eyes.

The compact is a cheap, flimsy plastic. The sponge is flat and poor quality, even compared to other drugstore powders like Cover Girl. It also bothers me that the mirror is a half-circle, so I can't really get a good look at a wider area of my face when I'm applying.

The biggest negative, however, is the poor coverage. This does nothing to smooth out flaws or even out my skin tone, and really only works as a short-term cover for oil.

This would be nice if you're looking for an inexpensive finishing powder, if you don't have oily skin and if you apply the powder with a quality brush. It gets 3 lippies from me, however, because I'm looking for something with more staying-power to fight shine and provide fuller coverage without being cakey.

on 5/23/2011 11:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I bought this in Translucent to go along with my CS foundation in Ivory because I was worried the one in Light wouldn't match. It's a decent powder and lasts for quite a while in fact, more so than others I've tried in the past. I can't say it's perfect; it tends to look a little powdery and dusty on my skin and I'm guessing that's because it's so white. Even though it's supposed to be Translucent I doubt that it would look natural on anyone who has darker skin than I do and I'm very fair skinned.

-Lasts a white before touchups
-Looks fairly natural and not cakey

-Very white and powdery on skin
-Packaging is cheap and doesn't give much product, but the design is nice.

I'm not sure if I'll buy this again once I run out. I really love the fact that it doesn't get darker in place when I do have to do touch ups, but I'd like to find a powder that lasts longer.

on 5/4/2011 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This powder gives pretty good coverage...but I hate that is goes on cakey! I dont even use alot either. It looks so unnatural because its too powdery! I have normal skin, so maybe this would work better for oily skin types.

actually i would like to do a new review on this item....i started using this product recently when i ran out of my other powders. i have to say i actually like it. im a little bit tanner now so it blends really well with my skin tone than before. the only bad thing is you have to be very carefull not to drop it because it cracks very easily. i had to replace it...then two days later i accidently dropped it and it cracked again! but other than that i give this product better review this time now that i have been using if more.

on 4/24/2011 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

My one major complaint about this powder is not the powder itself- which is very fine, smooth, and works well, but my gripe is with the new packaging. New Colorstay powders have the same basic packaging as the Physicians Formula Happy Boosters, with the lid, powder compartment, and then a tiny puff/brush compartment underneath. The difference between the two is that the Revlon Colorstay powder compartment does not hold enough weight to stay down when opening the lid the full way. Every single time I go to open the lid, I'm annoyed by having to force the compartment down.
Overall, it is a nice product with horrid packaging.

on 4/3/2011 4:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I had to rebuy my pressed powder after dropping my last one on the floor by accident and the powder broke into pieces all over the floor and had to chuck it out. I am really impressed by this. I have this in 'medium' which is a little lighter than what my skintone is at the moment, but using this over my Revlon Colorstay foundation in 'natural tan', it gives me an amazing coverage. Good setting powder and also good to use on those days you don't want to wear alot of makeup. On it's own it gives a pretty good coverage, medium at the most, and will look even better over a tinted moisturizer or concealer. I use a kabuki or powder brush with this, and not the sponge puff. It didn't oxidise on me, and doesn't give me a ghost-face look in flash photography.
Only problem I have with this is that it can extenuate dry flaky skin, so make sure to have moisturized well before. I think I will continue to repurchase this as it's working very well for me. No strong smell either.

on 3/8/2011 7:45:00 PM

I've always struggled with powder foundations from the drugstore, but this powder is amazing! It has the best finish I've ever seen- natural, not cakey, and not powdery. It looks natural, but most importantly, it keeps you matte all day long. It's great for using on its own for lighter days, or setting a liquid foundation on those days when you need more coverage. It's a very high quality powder, and for only $10, the price certainly can't be beat!