April 18, 2014 | 1760 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Super City Block SPF 40

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2012 1:48:00 AM More reviews by g_82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

After the Japan radiation incidence, I stopped buying my all time favorite Fancl Sunscreen SPF30. Used to use City Block SPF25 and liked it quite a lot. With the sun getting stronger now, I opt for SPF40 this time. It is smooth and moisturizing, not as light as the Fancl one tho. The sand beige tint gives a natural dewy look. If you want a matte look, just dust with powder and you're good to go.

Function wise, I'm extremely easy to be tanned, this sunscreen didn't help, just like any other sunscreen I've used. Reckon it's a gene thing. Recently I went to a beach city for holiday and came back 2 shades darker. No sunburn tho.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/14/2012 8:15:00 AM More reviews by pickles1980

Clinque cityblock spf 40 doesn't work.
I'm actually really quite annoyed.

I have normal fair skin in the winter and I do burn when my skin comes out of winter intially. However SPF 20-30 when I'm on holiday is fine, I have travelled far east and always tanned well. However now that I am entering in my early 30's I do not want sun to touch my face EVER.

Also I live in london, SO I bought city block SPF 40 thinking this is maximum protection, if a little over the top for me. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me: Yesterday I went for a walk for maybe 2 hours max. I applied my SPF before leaving the house concentrating on cheeks and nose esp, wore very large glasses. At no point was I sunbathing in direct sunlight, if I was it was for all of 10-20 minutes on and off walking, I was walking under trees, shade, had my hoodie up as it did get chilly, but the direct sun did feel strong. it was about 18 -20 degrees in direct sunlight.

About and hour later out of the I felt very hot and very red cheeks. The next day i now have a small white patch where my glasses had been and rosey cheeks, tightness, i feel like I have a very very very mild sunburn (Caught the sun). if this is supposed to be spf 40 this should not have happened. So I'm questioning the strength of the SPF in this product. After all I'm in England and it's spring not even summer. I chatted to a girl at work who also uses it and she said she sometimes wondered if it worked. She is very fair and has always used it and is not the sort of person that would go into direct sunlight and she said she too gets rosey checks and freckles. So I'm actually very angry that this is being sold as spf 40, which seems to be acting more like spf 15 if that. I'm trying hard to protect my face, and you can't avoid going outside, thus spending money on this product which has failed me. The most worrying thing is that it says you can put it on babies aged 6 months? As a product it's fine i.e primer, moistureiser, i do find it a little greasy. but for me the main concern is the spf. There is no way you should burn using a spf 40.

If anybody has any comments about what I have raised please contribute, I would like to know if anyone has had these problems? I would like to think maybe I got a dudd bottle? Please feedback. i'm kind very upset this has happened. It would be nice to find a product that is not too chemical, that actually protects your skin from the sun without being harsh on chemicals.

Many thanks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2012 12:05:00 PM More reviews by angiee0215

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love love love love love love this. I love that it has a tint that is good for very fair skinned individuals like myself. Clinique is usually not very good about making items for very NC 15 skinned gals. First about my skin: normal to oily depending on the day. I use differin every night and I have been using it for quite sometime. So, some days I wake up with super oily skin.

I apply this moisturizer and wear this tint instead of a TM. Then I dust some sheer powder on top to add a little bit of more coverage and it looks amazing. I love how this moisturizer is very dewy and it makes my skin glow.

If you have very little problem skin or have it under control and you like using TMs then this stuff is for you. I used to have acne all the time but now it is under control with differin.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2012 3:29:00 PM More reviews by giftcardgirl

I bought this since it was one of the more practical purchases I could make in order to score the awesome gift-with-purchase deal that Clinique had at the time. I usually use Shiseido ultimate sun protection cream, but thought I'd give this a try.

I like that it doesn't feel oily on my skin, but noticed that if I leave it on for a bit too long without blending, (about 10-20 seconds) then it starts to peel off if I try to rub it in. The package says it can be used as an under-makeup primer so I suppose this is the effect of the primer ingredients.

I like that it's tinted so it leaves less of a white cast on my pale Asian skin than the Shiseido sunblock, but I can't really testify to its sun protection powers. I usually use my face sunblock on the backs of my hands as well but this sunblock makes it look like I have foundation on my hands.

I probably would not purchase it again, although I do like Clinique products in general.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2012 11:10:00 AM More reviews by MissMelanieM

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've lost count of how many times I've purchased this product. It is reliable, immediate protection under makeup or alone. If you dont wear foundation you can reapply this during the day. It does actually offer very slight coverage because of the chemical-free sunscreen ingredients.

I would caution people to remove this product thoroughly as it can cause breakouts.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2012 3:57:00 AM More reviews by husky2301

I've been using this product (and other variations of it) on and off for 10 years and I always keep going back to it. It works great and is really good as a primer as well.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/2/2012 4:20:00 AM More reviews by chynnadoll21

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

My mum & I used this and it was fine. Don't love it but it prob got the job done. Felt it was a bit greasy on my skin, but other than that, did not break me out. Will repurchase if I ever run out of ideas for sunblock. But for now I like to try new things :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2012 7:22:00 AM More reviews by staceyxs

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

really love this sunblock! i was putting off getting face sunblock for the longest time, and i was just using regular sunblock on my face but it makes your face very oily and blemish prone. so i needed something oil free and with a high spf because i am very fair skinned. initially i was concerned because this sunblock is tinted but i can't notice any color on my ghostly pale skin, it's perfect, it sinks in really fast. i will put it on my face right after i put on my moisturizer, i find that's the best way for it to really sink in. there have been a couple times that i've used a moisturizer i rarely use with it or i've tried to put on foundation too soon after applying and it will kind of come off and ball up and flake off, i suppose you just need to let it have the time to sink in and be patient for a couple minutes haha.
since using this sunblock i've never experienced any breakouts from it, no greasy/oilyness, it actually gives my skin a nice glow with some added coverage from the sheer tint. love! will purchase again and again :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2012 1:00:00 PM More reviews by skeptic11

Ok. This is one of my staples, and HG's. I have used the City Block products in various incarnations for almost 20 years. A product I started in my teens. It does feel thick going on, but then vanishes into the skin. Because it has zinc it doesn't irritate my skin - yah! It really works for me, and I do believe because it was so easy to use and stayed on that I wore my sunscreen every day - which I don't always do unless it is in my moisturizer. Doesn't cause me to breakout, if I am in a rush works as both a sunscreen & some tint. Only problem it that if I use this alone now I am a bit older -and didn't use sunscreen while I was pregnant & breastfeeding to get some Vit. D's so got some skin damage- this has so much zinc in it that I look noticeably ghostly. I have to put something on top. The old 15 version had a couple of tones - one which was a much more skin matching tone that you could use if you wanted to skip makeup in the summer - which I often did.
Grumbles.
But still I think this is a great product works for me, and if they discontinue their City Block product line...I will sulk for weeks and mourn for years.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2012 2:20:00 PM More reviews by funnygirlup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Sunscreen is an issue with my very oily skin. Often, it left my face slick, even the oil free kind and was a terrible base for makeup. Finding this product was a gift!
As for price, sunscreen in general is quite pricy and decent brand face creams with sunscreen also run pretty pricey-yes this product's a bit costlier but it last a really long time. My last tube lasted me about 6 months-so that works out to about $45.00 a year for a high SPF, non-irritating, tinted cream.
I like Clinique but am not a major fan-they have a few okay products, so I'm not writing this as a product devotee-I'm writing it as a long time searcher for a great spf face product. I will continue to use this product.