Clinique Super City Block SPF 40

3.5

PPD = 8. zinc oxide 8.8%, octinoxate 7.5%, titanium dioxide 6.6%, octisalate 2% Other ingredients: water (aqua purificata) purified, trioctyldodecyl citrate, butylene glycol, dimethicone, octyldodecyl neopentanoate, steareth-2, silica, aluminum stearate, angelica acutiloba (japanese angelica) root extract, zizyphus jujuba fruit extract, rosa roxburghii fruit extract, citrus unshiu peel extract, porphyra yezoensis (algae) extract, paeonia suffruticosa (peony) root extract, gardenia florida extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, paeonia albiflora (peony) root extract, poria cocos sclerotium extract, saccharomyces lysate extract, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, betula alba (birch) bark extract, hordeum vulgare (barley) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seedcake, gentiana lutea (gentian) root extract, yeast extract (faex), sodium rna, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, tocopheryl acetate, pantethine, glycerin, glucose, squalane, polyglyceryl-6 polyricinoleate, tricaprylin, propylene glycol dicaprate, chamomilla recutita (matricaria), hexylene glycol, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, caprylyl glycol, barium sulfate, polyethylene, xanthan gum, magnesium aluminum silicate, lecithin, ceteth-2, peg-40 stearate, sodium stearate, steareth-20, sorbitan tristearate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, citric acid, disodium edta, bht, phenoxyethanol, mica, iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499), titanium dioxide (ci77891)

on 7/2/2012 12:44:00 PM

This is a great product for me as I have oily sensitive skin. No fragrance and this is the only sunscreen I have used and did not breakout from. I just use powder on top of this and I am good to go. I would only use this in the spring and summer as I would like to use a liquid foundation in the fall and winter and I don't need the extra step in the morning. I would just use a moisturizer with SPF and then follow with foundation. This sunscreen does have a slight tint (cream) but that's not such a problem for my NC 35 skin tone, especially if I just top it off with powder that is matched to my skin color.

on 6/26/2012 2:50:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I had very high expectations from this product coz I read so many good reviews about it. So maybe that is why I'm a bit disappointed with it. It feels a bit sticky while applying, but I wait for a couple of mins and then apply my face powder and it gives a dewy finish. However, when used by itself, I've noticed that this product gives me a greyish, oily tint which looks terrible.

Also, tho my skin tone is medium-tan, I tan super quick and no sunscreen seems to help prevent that. 10 mins in d sun and I turn 2 shades darker, even if I'm wearing SPF 40 or 50. Perhaps its just my skin :(

Its quite an expensive product but it lasts quite long. However, I recently tried a sample of Clarins UV White SPF40 and that hydrates and mattifies my skin and makes it look brighter too...all by itself! So I think I'd rather buy that once this runs out.

on 6/20/2012 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this sunblock! It is good for my oily skin, dries quickly, feels light on the skin, no residue and most importantly fragrance free! I also like the tint to it. It doesn't work as a foundation or anything, but it helps even the tone a little bit. I also love the packaging :)
I saw that some people had a problem with flaking or something, but I didn't experience any of that, it goes on smooth and stays invisible. I just dab a few dots of it all over my face and blend with my fingers. I'm very happy about this purchase.

on 6/17/2012 3:15:00 PM

I ve had a love hate thing with this product over the last couple of years.I decided to give it another go after My fave sunscreen (Clarins u v protect hp) changed its ingrediants :( and while i like alot of Clinique s products im not keen on this. I find it a bit heavy and it seems to sit in my wrinkles and make them more obvious but it does give pretty good proection. I dont think i will buy it again.

on 6/12/2012 2:20:00 PM

1) If this rubs of off you, you are applying it wrong, do not apply this immediately after a moisturiser and do not use too much pressure.
2) Works well on my acne-covered, flaky skin
3) I am a redhead and I go to chemical peels a lot and I have not tanned(gone pink red, freckly) at all with this stuff
4)The finish is dewy and slightly shiny(which is a bad thing for me)
5) It does not tone your skin tone at all
6) This as a primer? Please. Your makeup would actually hold and feel better without it.
7) Erm, a little goes a long way? NOO WAAY(that is what clinique counter ladies want you to believe)! No sunscreen does, if it does, you are using too little
Overall: I love it, because I have not found anything that would be so good and not make my acne worse at the same time. I highly recommend it. From my experience, my skin just feels better without any sunscreen at all (when I go out at night) but this feels nice and does not make me too oily..

on 6/6/2012 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

WHY so many ingredients?? My dermatologist always says that for extremely sensitive acne-prone skin, it's really important with so few ingredients that's possible....

I have a really troubled skin that reacts with acne on everything. I wanted to try this cause it's a psysical "mineral" sunscreen. But I don't like it;

This

- Leaves a whitish/purple tone on your skin...
- Does not mattify - I have oily, oily skin already!
- Still does not hydrate, you get flakes that you have to pick...
- Has too many ingredients for my taste - this is always risky when you have sensitive acne-skin...
- Contains dimethicone (that is not completely safe for acne-skin)

Therefore, I won't repurchase....

yuck! I received a generous sample of this when I went to the Clinique counter, and I'm glad it was just a sample because this stuff sucks!

I use retin a for anti-aging/acne prevention and so sometimes my skin can be flakey. Well, I wasn't even having a flakey skin day and this just seemed to grab a hold of all my flakes and start "rolling" off my skin. yuck yuck yuck! even on areas I don't use retin-a (my cheekbones) this stuff is still rolling off!

It's not moisturizing at all, yet feels extremely oily and tacky. It's tinted but didnt provide any coverage whatsoever for me. I'm going to use this on my neck, it's not going anywhere near my face again!

on 5/30/2012 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This sunblock was bad for the price I paid.
It rubs off easily and it flakes and stuff.
I hate it.
I feel like I could've got a better sunscreen for less money.
Won't buy again!

on 5/15/2012 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

After the Japan radiation incidence, I stopped buying my all time favorite Fancl Sunscreen SPF30. Used to use City Block SPF25 and liked it quite a lot. With the sun getting stronger now, I opt for SPF40 this time. It is smooth and moisturizing, not as light as the Fancl one tho. The sand beige tint gives a natural dewy look. If you want a matte look, just dust with powder and you're good to go.

Function wise, I'm extremely easy to be tanned, this sunscreen didn't help, just like any other sunscreen I've used. Reckon it's a gene thing. Recently I went to a beach city for holiday and came back 2 shades darker. No sunburn tho.

on 5/14/2012 8:15:00 AM

Clinque cityblock spf 40 doesn't work.
I'm actually really quite annoyed.

I have normal fair skin in the winter and I do burn when my skin comes out of winter intially. However SPF 20-30 when I'm on holiday is fine, I have travelled far east and always tanned well. However now that I am entering in my early 30's I do not want sun to touch my face EVER.

Also I live in london, SO I bought city block SPF 40 thinking this is maximum protection, if a little over the top for me. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me: Yesterday I went for a walk for maybe 2 hours max. I applied my SPF before leaving the house concentrating on cheeks and nose esp, wore very large glasses. At no point was I sunbathing in direct sunlight, if I was it was for all of 10-20 minutes on and off walking, I was walking under trees, shade, had my hoodie up as it did get chilly, but the direct sun did feel strong. it was about 18 -20 degrees in direct sunlight.

About and hour later out of the I felt very hot and very red cheeks. The next day i now have a small white patch where my glasses had been and rosey cheeks, tightness, i feel like I have a very very very mild sunburn (Caught the sun). if this is supposed to be spf 40 this should not have happened. So I'm questioning the strength of the SPF in this product. After all I'm in England and it's spring not even summer. I chatted to a girl at work who also uses it and she said she sometimes wondered if it worked. She is very fair and has always used it and is not the sort of person that would go into direct sunlight and she said she too gets rosey checks and freckles. So I'm actually very angry that this is being sold as spf 40, which seems to be acting more like spf 15 if that. I'm trying hard to protect my face, and you can't avoid going outside, thus spending money on this product which has failed me. The most worrying thing is that it says you can put it on babies aged 6 months? As a product it's fine i.e primer, moistureiser, i do find it a little greasy. but for me the main concern is the spf. There is no way you should burn using a spf 40.

If anybody has any comments about what I have raised please contribute, I would like to know if anyone has had these problems? I would like to think maybe I got a dudd bottle? Please feedback. i'm kind very upset this has happened. It would be nice to find a product that is not too chemical, that actually protects your skin from the sun without being harsh on chemicals.

Many thanks.