MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I really wanted to like this. When I first started using foundations I was under the impression that MAC was the best company for that.

I used studio fix foundation when I was a bit younger but I was used to powder foundations and not that comfortable with liquid. In the past year I've become more used to liquid and I now favour it over powders so I decided to try this again.

I'm a NC35. The price was what I'd expect for a high end brand. When I first put it on I was shocked - in a good way. I have pigmentation resulting from acne and this covered everything in one layer. Plus it was more yellow; perfect because Indian ladies like myself generally have strong yellow undertones. It dried to a matte finish. Again, perfect for my preference.

One problem.... this oxidised. I'd never encountered any other foundation I'd used oxidising before so I don't think it was my skin type that caused the problem; plus I'm normal to combination but leaning more towards normal. By the end of the day, my perfectly matched face had oxidised so badly, I actually felt so self conscious when I looked in the mirror. It was so orange and horrible.

Seriously MAC, sort this out.

On the other hand, the other purchase I made is one of my favourite items ever; the Pro Longwear concealer. So MAC does know how to do face - just maybe not foundation.

Instead of spending on this, I would highly recommend NARS sheer glow. Less shade range in terms of NC/NW system- but excellent coverage, semi-matte finish and lasting power on point. Two stars (my lowest rating ever) given to this, just because the coverage is incredible.

on 6/2/2015 4:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I liked this foundation the best for it's more natural finish.

The good
Great for those with a yellow/olive undertone
Offers medium to high coverage, has covered my acne scars
Buildable without having to apply half the bottle
natural matte finish
doesn't give you a white cast in photos

Cons
Doesn't come with a pump
can transfer (eg when using a tissue to blow your nose)
smells a bit like paint

Here's a very in-depth review on my blog:

on 5/30/2015 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

at first I absolutely adored this product but I didn't realize my colour was off, way off at that. I went to a MAC store to get matched and the girl gave me an NC45 (way too dark). I went along my way and used it for a couple of weeks and I really liked the consistency until I realized it was way too dark. though I loved the way it went on, it felt cake and heavy on my face throughout the day. I felt as though I was wearing a pound and a half of foundation when I had only applied a very small amount of foundation. the packaging was okay but it would have been better if it came with a pump (recently found out you can but the pump separately). I haven't used this product in a really long time but even if I were to get re-matched, I would not re-purchase.

on 5/28/2015 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I'm NC37-NC40. Great full coverage foundation, doesn't dry too quick like EL DW so gives you time to apply correctly. I apply using RT Stippling Brush, don't have the best skin so I prepare my skin first with moisturiser, then fix+, then primer, then fix+ again and then foundation. Only need one layer for full coverage, gives a nice semi dewy, semi matte effect, lasts all day if set correctly. Price is fantastic for a high end foundation. I use this daily and then Luminous Silk for special occasions.

on 5/20/2015 8:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

*LONG REVIEW BUT IN DEPTH worth a read*
Ok so I have a mixed review about this foundation. I'll tell you about the 'history' I have with this little bottle first. I used to use this foundation for two years. I think between 2011-2013.
At that stage:
1. This was my first 'high end foundation'
2. I had mild acne and mild scaring
3. I was matched to NC42 (I have now tried NC42, NC41, NC40 and NC37 across many different MAC foundations and I feel NC40 is my best match for sure. I am Indian with medium skin tone, neutral undertones)
4. I started by using drug store foundation brush, I then decided after a year when i got into make up a lot more that the application was not flawless, MAC directed me to the 190 brush (i have a review on this if you want to check that out *not a flawless application*)
*AT THIS STAGE I WOULD OF GIVEN IT 2.5-3 STARS*
So basically, I felt the foundation was not giving me that flawless finish which was really annoying and it looked streaky. I then went on to try many other foundations, Estee Lauder double wear being once of them (review on this too). I realised that it was a lot to do with the tool you used to apply a foundation that influenced how it looked! So between 2013 to now ive probably tried about 15 high end foundations. My acne is worse and scaring heavier. One day I decided to do a big MAC shop online and though let me try this out again.
SOOOO my second experience! I am now a make up junkie! Not to be big headed but i know lots about make up now haha!:) So I love the RT expert face brush to apply this now. I spray with small amount of fix plus and it applies flawless!! I am just going to state my pros and cons!
PROS
1. Good coverage (medium / full) (covers all my acne and the scars)
2. Not that expensive compared to most high end (£21 i think)
3. Only need one layer for full face / very buildable
4. Long lasting (7 hours)
5. Matte but still glowy!
6. Great for all skin types
7. Has SPF
8.Looks good on camera
CONS
1.Have to buy a pump
2. Can be thick for some people
3. Have experienced odd break out
4.DOES NOT apply flawless with all tools!
SOOOO finally! I recommend this foundation a lot, as its great for a lot of skin types, looks good on camera and isnt too expensive. Make sure you use the right tool to apply! I recommend the Beauty blender, RT expert face bush or Wayne Goss foundation brush.
Hope you enjoyed!!

on 5/20/2015 7:19:00 AM

HATE IT, i used this for a solid month before i finally had enough, it was horrible on my skin and a complete waste of money. Some mac products are good, but its so over rated.

on 5/19/2015 10:54:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I love this foundation. I have been using it for 2 years now and it suits my skin perfectly. I have the craziest skin: it's super dry and it's super oily but this foundation balances my skin out. It gives great coverage and it is quite thick but I love a good coverage. It isn't the lightest foundation but I haven't had any trouble with it. It is a bit on the more expensive side but it's not outrageous so I think it is a worthy purchase and definitely worth the money. It doesn't come with a pump which is annoying. I have been getting on great for the past 2 years without one but I finally succumbed last week and bought one :P I use the real techniques expert face brush and it gives a lovely glowing matte finish. I use NW20 which is slightly darker than my natural skin colour but I like to look a bit darker.

on 5/18/2015 7:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I got matched to an nc30 which I think is a great color for me. I like the way this shade looks on me versus all my other foundations. it's a medium to full coverage. On a daily basis I use a light layer of this which provides me with enough coverage. on days where I go out I layer it more. I used to use the mac pro longwear and I consistently used it until I finished my bottle. i washed my face every night and morning but something abt that pro longwear would always break me out on my cheek area. either by my sideburns or more towards the apple of my cheeks.this doesn't break me out that I've noticed and I like that it's alot easier to take off verses my pro longwear. I love the finish of this as well. Like a satiny finish that looks very natural. I like that finish so I don't always set it with powder. but I do think this is a great foundation especially since the color matches me so well and that's the hardest thing for me in terms of finding the right foundation. the smell doesn't bother me much. guess I'm immune to alot of scents of makeup products unless it lingers. And this does not linger. I only smell the paint like smell when I'm applying it. also I'm with alot of ppl on this one, they need to put a pump on this !!

on 5/17/2015 9:17:00 PM

Its an alright foundation..it has pretty good coverage. I may or may not buy this again. I apply it with the MAC 190 foundation brush which applys it well and evenly. i also have a pump on my bottle which is a lot better then not having one. All in all its a pretty good foundation but not the best..

on 5/17/2015 5:10:00 PM

Felt this was too yellow for me. After a couple hours it was blothchy. I had to buy a pump for it. Smells too much like paint. Wasn't too happy with this product.