Homemade Vitamin C Serum

4.4

on 2/10/2014 9:19:00 PM

I got a jar of powdered vitamin C from Whole Foods and tried various ways to use it ( teaspoon about quart water in spray bottle; adding to cucumber toner (my favorite is by AnnWebb that you can get at either Whole Foods or www.skinbyannwebb.com), rose water, or other toners I had around). A spritz when it's hot outside did wonders to refresh my skin. Plus, it really added a glow to my skin and got rid of acne. My DH, who get bad cystic acne, stopped suffering from those when I made him use it for a few weeks.

Here the bad part, however: I had to stop using it, because the stuff oxidized and stained my clothes sooooo badly! I didn't notice them at first - but after a few washes and dry cleaning, I noticed 50% of our clothes began to get that icky brown ring around the collar, and I thought …what the h***!! I shower daily, twice daily in fact!! I finally deduced it had to be the vitamin C serum. Ugh! So, no more homemade serum; I will stick to the serum by Ann Webb (expensive but stable and doesn't stain). Too bad, because this really did work miracles on my skin.

on 2/2/2014 2:00:00 AM

I used to make my own vitamin c serum but I found that my own formulations weren't very stable so it wasn't worth the effort. It's a lot easier to just buy one that is professionally formulated. I get one on Amazon that is really nice and has a stable form of vitamin c. Plus it is inexpensive but just as good as the expensive brands. This is the one I like:

http://www.amazon.com/Vitamin-Serum-For-Face-20/dp/B00G2TQNZ4 continued >>

on 12/30/2013 6:18:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am that girl. The chronic doubter who considers all reviews with skepticism. But I have been using a homemade Vit C solution for 2 months and OMG, it has worked some miracles. I have had long standing milia on nose and forehead finally disappear in . Each kind of turned reddish, flaked for a few days then healed over. To say I was amazed is an understatement. I cant wait now to see how much more my skin can improve over the next months. I use a mix of finely milled Natural Factors Ascorbic acid ( use my Magic Bullet to pulverize the crystals) water and glycerin.

on 12/29/2013 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Ok, so I have fair skin and rosacea on my cheeks as well as dry dehydrated skin. Although I have tried a couple of pre made vitamin c serums etc... I always go back to my home made.

I use a tsp of vitamin powder (from Whole Foods) then add a tbsp of distilled water then mix with a plastic spoon. I apply to my face with a cotton ball and wait ten minutes before I add any creams/serums.
I use it under my Dr. Jart Cermidin lotion then I put on the Dr. Jart ceramdin cream.
So far I really like my homemade vitamin C routine. My skin looks more radiant and it seems to make my pores seem smaller(although I am told my pores are really small anyway).
I would recommend it for daily use. I only use this at night.

on 12/23/2013 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I don't know why I haven't reviewed this yet, because it's definitely achieved "staple" status. As with most other skincare items it needs time to make it to HG status, but it's definitely getting there.

I heard about this on MUA, of course, and had to see what it was all about. I made a trip to my local organic foods/natural beauty store and picked up a big bottle of ascorbic acid powder, with no added ingredients or preservatives. I don't recall how expensive it was, but it was under 10 bucks for a big bottle. Very inexpensive. I looked at recipes online and settled on a fairly common recipe that included water, glycerin, and 10% of the powder. I stored it in a bottle and used it for a week or so.

I loved the results. It just gives me that "glow" back, even when I've been staying up way too late getting school deadlines met and eating junk food. It minimizes the folds (fine lines? they aren't quite that yet) I have in my mouth area and reduces my hyperpigmentation! Wow. I wasn't expecting that. Not as well as my 10% AHA, but it's much less irritating that using an AHA every night.

I found that it was more convenient for me to make a recipe that didn't include glycerin, for two reasons. First, glycerin and my skin have just a so-so relationship, and secondly, because glycerin tends to slow down the dissolving process. This is from my own personal experience, of course. I don't have the chemical knowledge to really say for sure.

What I've found really works for me is once a morning (or night, since my mornings tend to be chaotic) I'll take 1/8 tsp. of powder and mix it with 1 tsp. of warm(ish) water in a little plastic cough medicine container. This is the perfect size to mix the two ingredients together while I do other steps in my morning or night routine, such as brushing my teeth or washing my face. The warmer water seems to help it dissolve faster. This ends up being more time-efficient than sanitizing a dropper bottle, along with making sure my serum doesn't go bad.

I admit I've gotten lazy with this part of my skincare and cannot say the long-term effects, since my usage of it is inconsistent. I do believe that over time my skin will age much slower in general. I'm only 16, but I believe this can benefit all sorts of skin types. I'll keep updated with my progress with this. Overall, 5 stars for the low cost and effectiveness of this simple, easy-to-make product.

on 11/28/2013 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

Update: I have stopped using this anymore because I have found a much better alternative.

It is RICE WATER!!!! Yes, you heard it right. I used rice water as my hair conditioner, face mask, face toner and apply it liberally all over my body. Commercial face toner seem to dry my skin no matter how much oil is applied. Out it goes and in comes the rice water and it has cleared my skin and making it softer and diminishes my blemishes. Another benefit of using rice water is that you can apply it around your delicate eye area without reservation.

Please please try it.... What has you got to lose? It cost next to nothing and it is all natural.

on 11/2/2013 10:40:00 PM

I used to swear by this because it was so cost effective and made my face feel good but now that I have a little more money, I much rather would get a high quality product. Yes you may be putting vitamin c on your face but the carrier systems aren't the same as on the high quality products so you don't absorb as much.

on 10/15/2013 8:13:00 PM

I add a tsp of vit c to a tsp of aloe vera and a drop of vit E ... I then put it on my face about an hour before bedtime and wash off right before I lay down for the night. I've found that if I sleep with it on, it burns certain areas of my face (around the nose and under the eyes) and causes itching, redness and flaking. ouch! I store what's left in an amber colored jar in the fridge as it doesn't last long. If it turns yellow in your container, throw it out and make fresh!

on 10/15/2013 7:10:00 PM

Even with all of the other things I have ever used (and loved) on my skin, this is by far the best.

I use a DIY recipe based off of this one: http://www.skincaretalk.com/t/7596/diy-vit-c-serum-recipes-and-ingredient-sources

But I've changed my own formulation to better handle my skin (rosacea (so no witch hazel), dry). My recipe is as follows:

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1 tsp Emu Oil
3 tsp Rosewater with Glycerin (Heritage brand)
1/2 tsp Hyaluronic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp ice cold Vodka

This makes it 15% Vitamin C, which is more powerful than it sounds.

I wouldn't say this melts away any imperfections so much as it seems to burn them away. I tend to sleep curled up in a ball, so I have some premature wrinkles on my neck. When I use my Vitamin C Serum on them, they turn red, get a bit flakey...and then about a week later, are gone. I imagine if I kept using this consistently, they wouldn't come back at all, but I keep attempting to be lazy and find something already put together so I wouldn't have to keep remaking my own every two weeks (which is how long it lasts, since I don't use any extra preservatives in it)...but I seriously haven't found anything that works better. I even prefer the results from using this serum over my experience with Retin-A...little to no flakies, and noticeable results in less time. This can also be used by women who are pregnant, whereas Retin-A cannot. (Now this product isn't the same as Retin-A, but I'm comparing it based on it's collagen boosting qualities and ability to help thicken skin)

An added benefit from using this formula (with ferulic acid) is that it's supposed to help protect your skin from the sun (along with sunscreen, of course, this is NOT a sunscreen replacement!). I can't say one way or another if it really does this, based on my own experience, but it really can't hurt. I would definitely recommend using a Vitamin C Serum to anyone and everyone...if this recipe hurts your skin, try using a lower percentage of Vitamin C and working your way up.

on 10/10/2013 8:39:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hello I am 42 y/o. I have been using the home made serum for 6 weeks, evey single night after cleansing. My recipe is: 1/4 tsp L-ascorbic acid, 4 tsp rose water, and 1 tsp glycerine, or even less glycerine if you don't want to feel sticky (I actually copied this measurements from someone in this MUA forum). I store the mix in a dark colour eyedroper container and change the mix every week. I apply it all over my face, neck chest and hands.(A little goes a long way). My skin has improved a lot! it looks bright, smooth, and yes, the lines look reduced, not gone but reduced. I know this because I have taken some photos and I do look at my self under natural light to check if the serum is working or not. I still do moisturize aftter applying the serum...The veredict? Great. You will feel a tingling and warm sensation in your skin, which will pass. I recommend to use the serum an hour or so before going to bed to allow for absortion before you hit the pillow. (I just read that some people don't like this product, obviously it doensn't work for everybody... make a test in a small area first)

Popular Treatments (Face)