December 22, 2014 | 1722 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Milk of Magnesia as Primer

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2012 9:42:00 AM More reviews by Boohbear92

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

To start of, this product saved my life!!! Ever since i was 11, i had the WORST acne you could imagine. it got to the point that exfoliating wouldnt remove dead skin cells so my skin was rough, around 4 shades darker than my natural skin colour and every corner of my face was covered with spots! I was medicated for it and it got better, but after around 1 year my skin started to break out again. This was because when i wore makeup i never had a barrier to protect my skin, so it sunk in and blocked my pores. After finding out this product was a GREAT primer for oily skin, i gave it ago, i was so desperate!

The first day i used it, i just patted alittle more than a pea size on my face. INSTANTLY i could feel how smooth my skin had become. it felt alittle sticky at first but it dried and felt so smooth! i kept it on all day, for around 9-10 hours and my skin didnt once get oily! i was astounded! i then started applying it twice a week as a mask(thick layer) and it would stop my skin from getting oily the rest of the week. Now i apply it once a week and my skin doesnt even get oily anymore!!

I will NEVER apply my makeup without this underneath and i LOVE it! i LIVE by this product and without it i dont know how i would cope with my oily skin!
i have tried every product for oily skin, getting more and more expensive and little did i know that the bottle of laxative in my fridge would do the job!

Another thing is, everyone says not to get the flavoured one and mint one, well here in england, for some reason they don't do the origional. I bought the mint flavoured and have been using that for almost 2years. LOVE IT. i wouldnt get the cherry one but am fine with the mint one. And no it doesnt make your face smell of mint. the product does but you dont apply enough to allow your face to smell of mint!

Finally you get so much of this product for such little money its almost funny! oh and yeah.. ahem* its the best laxative ever.. looolll...
hope you find this review helpfull!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2012 9:13:00 AM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I finally caved in and tried Milk of Magnesia as a primer. I work 10 hour days and commute for 2 hours so my days are LONG. I tried everything to make my makeup last as long as possible but lets be honest, that many hours is not exactly a normal day and makeup doesn't last that long on its own. I get ridiculously oily all over after a few hours and I'm constantly blotting or reapplying powder and by the end of the day my makeup really just looks gross. I just dab this in spots with my finger and massage it into my face until its completely dry after moisturizing. Since I started using this I have been monitoring my face & have been using a different foundation each day to see how well it really works. Let me just say... I am impressed. Without the MOM I am an oil spill after about 4 hours, sometimes even 3. My face gets oily all over but my T-zone is by far the worst. With the MOM my nose does still get oily but a lot later in the day than usual, at around the 6th to 7th hour & I only have to blot it once at that time which is a huge difference from blotting all day long. My cheeks, forehead & chin honestly do not start to get oily until about the 9th to10th hour and I can blot them once at that time & I'm set. When I get home after my long 12 hour day my makeup does not at all look like I've had it on for that long. If I didn't put it on myself I would never know. I am really liking this so far and it is literally the only thing that has worked for my uncontrollable oilyness throughout the day. I plan on also trying this with the Monistat anti-chafing gel that I keep hearing about because if the MOM works this great alone, I can only imagine how it would work in conjunction with that. If you have long days as I do & you can't seem to find something to work for you, I say give it a shot. You have nothing to lose. It's only about $5 & I use the Phillips brand, the store brand ones are cheaper and I have heard they work just as good. If worse comes to worse and it doesn't work than you can always just keep it in your medicine cabinet for its real purpose LOL!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2012 8:53:00 AM More reviews by Shahz33

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

MOM is almost like magic for oil control. I have combination skin, but have been living in +35-40 Celsius temperatures so I have had a pretty shiny face as a result. It works great to control shine and oil. Although I have used it under foundation (Bourjois healthy mix and EL DW light) I felt that it make it look a bit cakey in parts of my face. I prefer to use MOM under MAC mineralized skinfinish natural (it reduces the ashy look the MOM leaves) for the most natural look . I experimented with application (foundation brush, wet sponge, cotton ball) but found that applying it with a round cotton pad (or the non-disposable type made from cotton fabric) works best. I apply it like I would a toner- just sweeping it across my entire face and making sure there aren't any puddles of product that have accumulated. Let it dry for 5 minutes and then brush off any areas where the white powder has accumulated. Easy as. Also to note- I couldn't find a non-flavoured variety of MOM (I'm in Australia) so I got the mint flavoured kind. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2012 9:04:00 PM More reviews by ilovethe80s87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

After reading reviews on here about using MOM as a mattifying foundation primer, I decided to give it a shot. I use the wal-mart knock-off of Phillip's Milk of Magnesia, and it works fine. I apply a thin layer onto a freshly cleansed face with a make-up sponge, let it dry, then apply a very tiny amount more to my t-zone. I then apply my liquid foundation. I found that I can't use this stuff with my thicker, creamier "liquid" mineral foundation because that stuff in itself mattifies my skin (but not like MOM), and using this with anything but actual liquid foundation makes my skin look dry. However, when I use it with my liquid foundation, it does a nice job of keeping my skin from getting oily; it even seemed to help keep my make-up from being sweated off during a night of dancing at a club. I will say that it doesn't make me look "poreless", but it did a nice job of keeping my make-up from sinking into my pores (like it usually does after a while) so I looked normal. I've only used it a few times, as I don't wear full make-up often, but each time it has done an excellent job of keeping my make-up looking fresh. The only thing I didn't like about using MOM as a primer was that it made my face look paler than normal with foundation on. So to fix this problem for next time, I used a darker shade of foundation and it was perfectly fine! I will continue to use this as long as i have oily skin (which I don't foresee that changing). I would have given it an average rating, but it's so inexpensive for good quality so I bumped it up one lipstick!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2012 11:04:00 PM More reviews by der08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Wowzerz! Can you say MATTE!? I love this stuff! It keeps the oilies away! Why spend a ridic amt of money when you can get this for a couple dollars doing the same thing? My foundation application is flawless with this product, I can't rave enough! HG stat!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2012 7:40:00 PM More reviews by jtenopir88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

When I 1st used this stuff on my face, I worked with it to see how I was going to get this stuff to not show milky residue thru my makeup, and I found my perfect application: I use a cotton pad and blot MOM on face, all over my T-Zone and other oily areas. I let it dry completely and then I take a powder puff and buff out the chalky residue. Then put on a primer to make sure that the MOM doesn't make my make up look dried out and cakey. Then I put on my foundation and concealer, finish with a setting powder, and go. I hope this was helpful those who can't figure out how to make it work for them!!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2012 10:57:00 PM More reviews by xVanniex

Milk of magnesia has done wonders to my skin! Also known as Magnesium Hydroxide, this is usually used as an antacid which neutralizes stomach acidity. It can also be used for constipation, diarrhea, and an underarm deordorant. I've been testing it out for 2 weeks and there is a significant difference from when i do have it on and when i don't. My very oily acne-prone skin even with a setting powder is slick usually by the next hour mark but with this my skin is less oily and by the end of the day, there is very minimal shine if any. I now only have to blot once a day versus my usual 3. I've heard that people use milk of magnesia for their acne too. You put it on your skin for 10-15 minutes then wash away and voila! Your skin is oil free and treated. Some people may be wary of the white streaks it can give but with some blending and rubbing, it disappears. With the price tag of 6 dollars, i'd say atleast give it a try. it won't break the bank and you might just like it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/25/2011 4:55:00 PM More reviews by hannahgal143

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This didn't do anything to my oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2011 12:13:00 PM More reviews by Hollenbubble

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

After reading the reviews on here, I was initially applying this with a cotton pad to my t-zone after moisturizing. It did a good job of stopping shine, but only if applied quite heavily, which a) wasn't all that comfortable, b) took ages to dry and c) made my foundation hard to blend. BUT recently I had a bit of an epiphany and decided to mix it with my moisturizer instead, and it's fantastic. I have it in a little spray bottle, and mix one spritz with slightly less moisturizer than I would usually use (mine's Olay Complete Care UV fluid) by putting them in my palm and rubbing my hands together. It doesn't feel any different to moisturizing regularly and my foundation blends just as well, but I don't get oily for hours and hours. With this, I find I only have to re-apply powder once towards the end of the day, whereas normally I'd be re-applying 4 or 5 times throughout the day. It's a godsend - cheap, easy and effective.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2011 5:43:00 PM More reviews by jess31570

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hello, I just wanted to thank whoever gave old Milk of Magnesia a recent bump or review. I forgot about that old suggestion for a good mattifier, but I do remember reading it here many years ago. So I am trying it out again, and WOW. I usually have very shiny forehead already by morning. It's afternoon now and I think I've only done one powder touch up earlier this morning? Really really amaaazzziiiing! I'm happy to have found that life-saving tip here on the MUA :)

I'll come back and edit my review if it makes me break out, but I'm over 40, so I doubt that will happen.