August 22, 2014 | 1293 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55

rated 2 of 5 on 7/30/2011 1:04:00 PM More reviews by lightsout91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've pretty much gone through the whole Neutrogena sunscreen line, so I'll be comparing this SPF 55 to its lesser protective sisters. (30 and 45)
The 55 is just...WHITE STREAKS GALORE. It's ridiculous how much you have to rub it in, and a few minutes after you think you've rubbed it all in . . . Bam, more white marks pop up as it continues to "dry down." It is incredibly shiny to the point where, if you're wanting to look matte, you'll have to blot AND powder and THEN blot some more! (trust me, as someone with oily skin, this is way more hassle than its worth) by the time you 'mattify' your skin, it certainly seems like you've sacrificed a load of protection, which completely negates the purpose of the sunscreen. I love Neutrogena but they really need to reformulate their sunscreens if they want to be seen as a serious S/S competitor (ALL of them should be photostable, ALL of them should be cosmetically elegant.)
especially since the brand is one of the highest priced drugstore brands

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2011 2:58:00 PM More reviews by PixieDust22791

I was using Olay complete spf 15 but I was over it, it was greasy and only 15 spf, lame. SO I've seen and heard neutrogena ultra sheer dry touch sunblock advertised everywhere and it was dermatologist recommended so I gave it a shot. I don't like that it was $12 from target and in such a small bottle but after I used it the first time I realized I only need a TINY amount for my whole face. It's thick and creamy and a little goes a long way. I always start off with putting it on my cheeks where my skin is the most dry. It was less greasy then the Olay spf 15 but I still had to rub in A LOT and wait for it to dry before I put on my powder. My powder went over it fine and throughout the day I looked at my face and it DID have a dewy sheer glow look going. My skin looked moist. It got the moisture job done, and I struggle with dry skin. It didn't mess up my makeup or irritate my skin so I think I like it so far. Its only been a few days so I'm hoping it doesnt break me out like other spf moisturizers have. I gave it 4 out of 5 because the price was too much, I don't want to spend more than $10 for a daily moisturizer, but I will prob buy again (:

rated 1 of 5 on 7/2/2011 1:52:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

Holy white streaks batman! I've used the SPF 30 version in the past with no problems, but this just would not fully absorb on me. As mentioned in another review, it has a high rating on the EWG site too. I think a sunscreen should either have a high SPF and absorb or at least be made with more natural ingredients. I'm still on the quest to find a sunscreen that a.) has a high SPF b.) works well under makeup and c.) not high in toxic ingredients. Although I haven't found the perfect product yet, there are much better options out there than this sunblock. If you want a high SPF and don't mind one that is water resistant, I recommend Shiseido. For something with a lower SPF that's good under makeup as well as less toxic than this product, I would use the Olay Complete with SPF 30.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2011 10:56:00 PM More reviews by bemyanchor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

I've been using this for a while to protect my very fair (read: vampire white) skin, and it does the job.

But it is very unpleasant to wear. It doesn't feel much different from any other sunscreen, still so greasy that I have to use several blotting sheets to get my skin looking normal. It also seems to highlight the dry patches on my skin, which isn't cute. And I find that it balls up really easily, leaving white bits all over my arms and legs.

I've also gotten to be really sensitive to chemical sunscreens since I started using them religiously over the past few years, so whenever I use this, it feels like my face is burning. I get the feeling of sunburn immediately upon application. Not fun. So I've switched to Josie Maran's Argan Oil +SPF 40 moisturizer in hopes that my skin will tolerate it better.

[I'm not on the bandwagon of "chemical sunscreens are BAD!" because the scientific evidence in support of that is lacking and has been dismissed by the Skin Cancer Foundation as well as every doctor I've ever asked. But personally, my skin is just far too sensitive for this kinda sunscreen, so I'm avoiding it now.]

rated 2 of 5 on 6/4/2011 8:05:00 PM More reviews by merkakis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This was stinging into my eyes and had some weird rubbery smell to it. I like the silky feel of it, but can't use on my face because of my eye sensitivity towards this product. Will stick to Coopertone Faces for sensitive skin sunscreen.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/2/2011 1:18:00 PM More reviews by d3ndroid

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Sun protection aside, I have to comment on the wearability of this product. Applying 1/4 tsp on face (to get the rated spf 55) is very difficult. It takes a good few minutes to dry down to clear and it's easy to get white streaks. It rubs and pills all over the place, enough so that I get worried if I'm getting an even layer of sunscreen on my face. If I try to apply in layers, all of the sunscreen rubs off in very visible white bits!
Rather than feeling "ultra sheer" this may be the heaviest feeling sunscreen I've tried in a while... not in an oily way, but I feel suffocated.
In comparison, the Neutrogena Waterguard Kids (Canadian market only) feels much lighter, goes on and absorbs really quickly, and *does not pill*.
I will say that it does dry matte. I will attempt to use up on the body but I will not repurchase. I can't understand all the accolades this sunscreen is getting (paid product placement?)

rated 1 of 5 on 5/24/2011 6:35:00 PM More reviews by kimbotee

Made me oily and broke me out completely.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2011 9:55:00 PM More reviews by haidehh

This is in my travel bag. its a ok product but i just find it to be too heavy. Other than that its fine. i like my shiseido better

rated 2 of 5 on 4/8/2011 11:14:00 AM More reviews by Blplunk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my first bad review for a product. I like a lot of nuetrogena products, but this one irritated my skin. I would get a slight burning feeling after applying and got a small breakout on my chin hours after applying. I'm going back to my Cerave AM lotion with SPF 30, I tried this for a higher SPF since I'm on Retin-A, but this was not worth it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2011 11:36:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I loved Neutrogena Ultra Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF30, but I thought I would step up my sun protection to SPF55 and I'm disappointed. Like the SPF 30 it has a silky matte finish when applied, but within a few hours it starts to feel really greasy and ruins my makeup. Despite trialing different foundations to pair with this sunscreen I just couldn't get it to work for me.