April 18, 2014 | 1930 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2011 10:56:00 PM More reviews by bemyanchor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

I've been using this for a while to protect my very fair (read: vampire white) skin, and it does the job.

But it is very unpleasant to wear. It doesn't feel much different from any other sunscreen, still so greasy that I have to use several blotting sheets to get my skin looking normal. It also seems to highlight the dry patches on my skin, which isn't cute. And I find that it balls up really easily, leaving white bits all over my arms and legs.

I've also gotten to be really sensitive to chemical sunscreens since I started using them religiously over the past few years, so whenever I use this, it feels like my face is burning. I get the feeling of sunburn immediately upon application. Not fun. So I've switched to Josie Maran's Argan Oil +SPF 40 moisturizer in hopes that my skin will tolerate it better.

[I'm not on the bandwagon of "chemical sunscreens are BAD!" because the scientific evidence in support of that is lacking and has been dismissed by the Skin Cancer Foundation as well as every doctor I've ever asked. But personally, my skin is just far too sensitive for this kinda sunscreen, so I'm avoiding it now.]

rated 2 of 5 on 6/4/2011 8:05:00 PM More reviews by merkakis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This was stinging into my eyes and had some weird rubbery smell to it. I like the silky feel of it, but can't use on my face because of my eye sensitivity towards this product. Will stick to Coopertone Faces for sensitive skin sunscreen.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/2/2011 1:18:00 PM More reviews by d3ndroid

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Sun protection aside, I have to comment on the wearability of this product. Applying 1/4 tsp on face (to get the rated spf 55) is very difficult. It takes a good few minutes to dry down to clear and it's easy to get white streaks. It rubs and pills all over the place, enough so that I get worried if I'm getting an even layer of sunscreen on my face. If I try to apply in layers, all of the sunscreen rubs off in very visible white bits!
Rather than feeling "ultra sheer" this may be the heaviest feeling sunscreen I've tried in a while... not in an oily way, but I feel suffocated.
In comparison, the Neutrogena Waterguard Kids (Canadian market only) feels much lighter, goes on and absorbs really quickly, and *does not pill*.
I will say that it does dry matte. I will attempt to use up on the body but I will not repurchase. I can't understand all the accolades this sunscreen is getting (paid product placement?)

rated 1 of 5 on 5/24/2011 6:35:00 PM More reviews by kimbotee

Made me oily and broke me out completely.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2011 9:55:00 PM More reviews by haidehh

This is in my travel bag. its a ok product but i just find it to be too heavy. Other than that its fine. i like my shiseido better

rated 2 of 5 on 4/8/2011 11:14:00 AM More reviews by Blplunk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my first bad review for a product. I like a lot of nuetrogena products, but this one irritated my skin. I would get a slight burning feeling after applying and got a small breakout on my chin hours after applying. I'm going back to my Cerave AM lotion with SPF 30, I tried this for a higher SPF since I'm on Retin-A, but this was not worth it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2011 11:36:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I loved Neutrogena Ultra Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF30, but I thought I would step up my sun protection to SPF55 and I'm disappointed. Like the SPF 30 it has a silky matte finish when applied, but within a few hours it starts to feel really greasy and ruins my makeup. Despite trialing different foundations to pair with this sunscreen I just couldn't get it to work for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2011 5:20:00 PM More reviews by maggiecuda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been a big fan of Neutrogena's sun protection. I used the helioplex sunblock for a couple of years, and wouldn't have cared or called it greasy if I hadn't tried this formulation. Dude. It absorbs and sets amazingly. This makes it MUCH easier to apply the recommended amount. I haven't been in any photos, but I imagine the flash would reflect off of it, but I don't foresee this being a dealbreaker. How many flash photos am I in in general, let alone during the day when I'm wearing sunblock?

Hasn't made me break out, hasn't felt too greasy, hasn't dried out my skin (which can be on the drier side), and has been a good foundation primer. Just make sure to apply a few minutes after your moisturizer (after it's set) and to let set (dry) for a few minutes before applying foundation. I think that's what's been causing streaking on other people.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2011 10:40:00 AM More reviews by summerrain1994

I don't hate it, but I didn't love it.
It does soak into my skin nicely, leaving no residue, and I like the packaging. I only use about a pea sized amount on my whole face and so the bottle will last a lifetime.
It does make your skin look ashy though, so I wouldn't suggest this for even tanned people. I'm very pale, so I really don't notice a difference in my skintone.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/9/2011 10:55:00 PM More reviews by mindlips

I thought I enjoyed using Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch sunscreen SPF 55 but I was wrong. The packaging is terrible and it is so easy to finish the product in less than a month. In light of it all, the product tries to rub it in the consumer face that it is ideal, stating words like "Dermatologist recommended." If you do research, and it'll only take a minute of your time, you'll discover that statements like "not recommended" exists because it's ingredients score a heavy 7/10 in hazard ratings.