September 2, 2014 | 1839 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 9/9/2013 10:20:00 AM More reviews by lonileverz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I seriously do not recommend this for people trying to treat spots caused by oily skin! I used a combination of 2:1 castor to jojoba oil with tea tree essential oil every night and my skin got worse immediately. My spots weren't that bad in the first place but now I have had a horrible break out so I am going back to my body shop tea tree wash (very good!).

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2013 2:10:00 AM More reviews by kelkelkel87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Tried pure OCM (purely washing with oil only with no chemical treatment) several months back. Was in search of an organic method.
Jojoba oil / castor oil / tea tree oil / grapeseed oil mixture trial and error was done.
I used only oils to clean my acne prone face and back for about 2 months with different variations. There was no significant improvement. Face will look super greasy everyday with comments from people around you and greasing feeling also makes me really uncomfortable.

With all the balance of oils leftover from pure OCM, i decided to use them as an additional cleansing / protection for my skin.
Thus, i would use OCM to cleanse / massage my skin first everyday at the end of the day during shower, then proceed to wash off with my regular cleanser. After that, apply regular treatment / moisturizing cream and im off to bed. Results have been good so far, thus 4 stars.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2013 2:09:00 PM More reviews by allianchor

What a nightmare. I used coconut oil with grapeseed and tea tree, and let me tell you, it doesn't matter what kind of oil you use, you will have the worst breakout of your life. I got acne ALL OVER my forehead, around my nose and my chin. Basically everywhere but my cheeks. It took about two weeks for the breakout to come, and then bam. My skin was ruined. My acne wasn't even terribly bad in the first place, I just had a few spots here and there that I could never clear up, so I decided to give this a go. Well, that was about three months ago, and I just got rid of that terrible breakout thanks to an expensive cleansing system called Obagi Clenziderm. At least I have a nurse in the family who got it for me half priced, and even then it was $80. That's what I get for trying to go natural. -_-

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2013 10:39:00 AM More reviews by alidog

BLAH. I wanted so bad to love this... but I just hated it. I USED FOR ALMOST A WEEK, here is what happened:

I mixed 25% castor oil. 70% EVOO and 5% coconut oil. My skin type is rather normal with hormonal breakouts along the jawline every now and then.

Day 1-The first time I used this I liked it... felt nice and skin felt nice after. The following morning skin looked nice.
Day 2- skin seemed a little dry. Maybe too much castor oil? I did wear full makeup today, and the OCM didn't take all the makeup off. I had to re-wash with philosophy purity.
Day 3- woke up to tight feeling skin, but looked nice. Liked the OCM.
Day 4- skin still felt tight, so I made a new solution: 80% EVOO, 10% coconut oil, 10% castor. Still didn't wash off all the makeup. I'm beginning to become frustrated. Skin is also itchy is a few places.
Day 5- skin was not only tight I had some flakiness along the cheeks and I am noticing some DEEP RED pimples forming. Two on jawline, One on cheek and one near my lip. NOT NORMAL for me... since this is the only thing I"ve done different... obviously it's the OCM.
Day 6- I try to stick it out, even though I don't want to. Pimples from yesterday are deeper and red and no head is forming. This means they will be the two week long pimples. Dry patches on the skin. Itchy. I'm so upset I did this and am no longer continuing.

Maybe it was my fault and I didn't want to waste time finding the right mix... but either way: not worth it!

A week later and the pimples are just now starting to heal and my skin is still dry. I've had three more pimples come in as well on day 6,7 and 8. (7 and 8 I didn't even use the oil) I've had to do so many facial treatment that I normally don't do for acne. I don't care if my face was just adjusting.. not worth it.

More research found that this probably clogged my pores. Stupid idea.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2013 10:00:00 AM More reviews by cah123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This has had me up and down like a rollercoaster and I would not recommend. Although, I must add I only used castor oil and jojoba oil so this might be part of the problem. Months ago I tried this after stopping my BP gel. I'm always searching for natural products and have almost gone completely natural in my skincare. At first I was in love. It completely cleared my skin and scars and I felt amazing. I loved massaging the oils into my face and it is fab for removing every scrap of makeup. But after three months my skin erupted into the worst acne I have ever had. I had large, painful cysts covering my cheeks, chin and even my forehead. I put it down to my BCP but even after switching pills my skin was worse than ever. I stopped the OCM but my skin took months to clear up. Still denying it could've been the OCM after it gave such good results at first, I tried it again, only to start getting a couple of painful spots a few months after. Luckily I stopped using it in time and my skin recovered but its still got heavy scarring from the huge cysts I got from the first time. I think it's initial glowing effects are why it gets such good reviews as everyone reviews it after only a month. I'm sure there are other oils that can be used that will work well and not break you out but I would be very careful!! At the moment I have switched to Ultrabland from Lush which is a similar technique to the OCM of steaming your face but the waxy consistency doesn't clog my pores.

Read my review here: http://sheephishlysimple.blogspot.co.uk/

rated 2 of 5 on 8/13/2013 5:59:00 AM More reviews by FeralCreature

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my review for the more "traditional" OCM - massaging with oil then using steam to remove said oil. I have since moved on, with much greater success, to oil cleansing with an emulsifier but I tried this way first.

NOTE: I have volitilely combination that can flip the switch between oil-slick and antique parchment in the blink of an eye. Additionally, most things (in the world) seem to either cause clogs/breakouts or compromise the pH levels, and therefore the protective barrier, of my skin. I do not have *sensitive* skin, per say, except in regards to chemical exfoliation and highly concentrated doses of isolated ingredients.

I decided to try OCM one day after having a lifetime of bad luck with foaming, cream, or other cleansers. I tried the recommended blend of *your choice of oil* with castor oil, as well as hemp seed oil (my choice) alone. In theory, massaging oil onto your face is supposed to help remove clogs because the oil binds to and dissolves the sebum in your pores. The problem hereafter is how to remove the "dirty" oil from your face when you're done. With OCM, you're meant to repeatedly steam it away with a cloth soaked in hot water.

There are two major issues with this method. One being that frequent and repetitive steaming can be damaging to the skin. The other being that this takes SO LONG. I knew little of the potential damage when I attempted OCM, so I was gung-ho about the steaming but I quickly became irritated with this method. I was using OCM to remove makeup before bed and the last thing I wanted was to spend 10 times as long on my PM skincare routine. I think some days I wasn't thorough enough, but for the most part I stuck this out for about 6 weeks (two with castor, but it seems like it was breaking me out, so the remainder with just hemp). Even when I was a bit more impatient, my skin was clean from any (detectable) trace of makeup or sunscreen when I went to sleep.

I started to notice much more clogging than usual as well as a few deep, painful pimples popping up around 4 weeks, and the original clogs that I had blamed the castor oil for hadn't improved. I had also been continuing my research on OCM and reading horror stories about severe cystic acne and notable damage to even non-sensitive skin like mine. It seemed like steaming was taking up a lot of time but not actually removing the oil, sebum, and leftover m/u from my pores. I ended up following with a foaming cleanser for a while but that sort of defeated the purpose since foaming cleansers were my issue to begin with. So I gave up and tried a few more actual cleansers before deciding to try oil cleansing WITH an emulsifier (which I'll review under OCM with Polysorbate). Adding an emulsifier just made sense to me, since the purpose of one is to bind oil to water, thus maiing it easy to fully rinse your "oil cleanser" off your face without all the steam.

Overall: I won't try this again. Oil is effective at removing makeup and sunscreen but I need something to then remove the oil, and steaming just isn't it. This method may work for some, especially if you don't wear ss or m/u that needs removing or just want to deep clean the pores every so often.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/6/2013 5:04:00 PM More reviews by holychiller

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This technique initially made my skin look and feel great, however after a few months it resulted in the craziest cystic acne I've ever experienced - which scarred and I am still dealing with the aftermath. :( :(
What I tried (for appx 4 months)
1:4 ratio -
castor oil : sunflower oil
castor oil : olive oil
castor oil : almond oil
castor oil : jojoba oil
**rotated through these combitations but none worked for my skin

Routine every other evening:
1. steam face GENTLY
2. mix oils, massage for 5-10 minutes
3. steam off gently with warm washcloth (new washcloth every day)
4. moisturize if skin felt dry/tight and go to bed

My skin was sooooo smooth, definitely reduced the number of blackheads but HOLY COW!!!! When my skin finally had had enough, I had terrible cystic acne. It's slowly clearing up and is almost gone.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2013 7:19:00 PM More reviews by Glitterz484

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have very sensitive, acne-prone skin. OCM includes cleansing with a mixture of oils, then steaming them off with hot water from a washcloth a few times, and wiping your face with the washcloth. Oils combined with hot water...what was I thinking?! This is the worst possible combination for sensitive skin prone to breakouts. Not to mention the washcloth causes further irritation on top of that. This has resulted in breakouts all over my face, even in the areas where I hardly ever get a pimple. And I'm not talking zits, I'm talking patches of breakouts. Please please PLEASE don't do OCM if you have my skin type. I've heard it works well for some people, but a lot of people also have bad results. And when the results are bad, they're horrific in this situation. It's not worth it.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2013 6:31:00 AM More reviews by ayiluy1989

I have overall oily skin which is acne prone. The last time I can remember having pimple free skin is back in my teens or every time I go somewhere sunny for my hols (the sun always clears it but within a couple of weeks being back in the UK, it slowly deteriorates. I lead a very healthy lifestyle. Don't drink or smoke e.t.c. I exercise 4 times a week, drink 3+ lts of water a day but this doesn't seem to be enough to give me the desired clear skin. I tried this method for the first time last night after having tried pretty much everything under the sun. I used 3 tsp cold pressed, pure Castor oil and 1 tsp Evoo. What I did first was remove my make up with the Jane Iredale mit, which is just a microfiber cloth which removes all make up traces with water alone. I died my skin and massaged the oil mixture over my face for about 2 minutes. I did the hot towel thing about 3 times and then again massage my skin. I then began to remove the oil with my cloth until I felt that it was gone and saw no more make up traces on my cloth. Then I used an ice cube and massaged it over my face until it melted (read about the benefits of this old trick). To damp skin I applied the Clarins Lotus facial oil and patted this in and that's it. I also use high strength Vitamin E oil (H&B) for my eyelids, eyelashes & lips. I made sure to rinse and clean my cloth and hung it to air dry ready for the following evening.
In the morning my skin was calm, one pimple which I saw was there came to the surface, which was easily removed with just washing my face with black mud soap (great inexpensive, pure product from Boots) and then moisturised with the Murad acne control moisturiser. I have high hopes for this and will report back in a month or so.
I guess the main thing is to thoroughly remove the oil, thoroughly clean the wash cloths and use high grade products. Everyone is different and this will not suite everyone but I really hope it works.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by gizmondo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Having suffered with bouts of acne for the past 20 years, I am always on the look out for something which may prove to be the miracle cure.

I was hopeful of OCM as I had read so much about it, but I'm afraid it didn't work for me at all.

About a week into following OCM my skin started breaking out, I read this happened and it was recommended to carry on, which I did but to no avail. My skin just kept getting worse, so after a month.

Slowly my skin is calming down and clearing up.

I did experience some clogged pores being becoming unblocked when doing OCM, but I think this is more to the massaging effect and this was backed up the beauty therapist I visited when I recently went for a facial. Who said that often we don't massage our skin enough when cleansing and its especially important to massage along the jaw line towards the ears as this is where the lymph nodes lie