Clarisonic Pro Skincare Brush

4.3

bliss beauty trio

on 5/14/2013 6:17:00 AM

Before I start, I just wanted you to know what this review was about. I wrote a review a while back on the differences between the spinbrush pro (and the different models) as well as the oil of olay version of the spinbrush. In this review I am comparing and contrasting them (this was before I bought one) to figure out which one would work best for me... I hope by reading this, you will have a better understanding of your options before purchasing a spinbrush...

I was very skeptical of this brush to begin withÖ. but I finally pulled the trigger after much consultation from my dermatologist. For any of those wondering, my dermatologist herself told me 1) this brush will make a huge difference regarding the health of my skin 2) that the Oil of Olay Spinbrush is just as good as the Clarisonic. That was her honest professional medical answer... So now I will give you my opinion on each of the two models.

The brush head: the brush heads differ on a few levels and I honestly feel that the The Clarisonic brush is superior. The Clarisonic brush head is much larger, even when comparing the smallest size Clarisonic MIA model to the Oil of Olay Spinbrush. The Clarisonic also has the optionality of different removable heads, one of them specifically for sensitive skin. I use this one. The drugstore versions do not have this optionality. After trying both Clarisonic brush heads (the regular and sensitive), I prefer the sensitive. I also feel the bristles on the Clarisonic model are softer and higher quality.

Cleaning power: About equal, but different. The Clarisonic uses a sonic oscillation system while the Oil of Olay Spinbrush uses a nonsonic rotating brush. The Oil of Olay version doesnít really vibrate like the Clarisonic but just sort of spins around in circles. When using the Clarisonic you simply move it in circular motions around your face as the brush vibrates. The Spinbrush doesnít necessarily work in that fashion since its already spinning around. They do feel different in my opinion. Probably both get you to the same place but I prefer the Clarisonic. I also think its much more effortless than the cheaper Oil of Olay brush. One thing that blew me away was not only how well it worked on my face- but also the eczema and tiny red bumps on my arms, after a few scrubs- GONE!

Charging: Clarisonic charges either in a base (if you buy the larger models) or in a simple handle attachment if you buy the MIA (thatís what I have). The Oil of Olay is battery operated- and this SUCKS! I have to change the batteries every two to three times of use (depending on how long I use it, which often varies). Yes, I do have rechargeable batteries, but still can be rather frustrating changing them SO often. This is why there is such aclassic difference in price, though. You get more with the higher quality, you just have to be willing to spend more too.

Models: The Clarisonic comes in 5, yes 5, confusing models. What is the difference in all of them? Why do we need 5 models? They differ in speeds, size, battery life, attachments they come with, and warranty. They range from $119 to $225. There is the MIA (both the MIA 1 and MIA 2). This is the most compact and does not come with a charging cradle but a charging link. The classic comes with a charging cradle. And the Plus and Pro models have 3 speeds and are for the face and body. I think this is all mumbo jumbo and all you need is the MIA. You really dont need different speeds and you can use the regular brush head on your body as well. Unless you really want a standup cradle I would purchase the MIA for $119. The higher models also come with more Clarisonic skin care products. You donít need to use their products. Use your own favorite products. The Oil of Olay only has one to chose from, with no models to choose from. It is very standard and really comes with NO bells and whistles.

Body functionality: The Oil of Olay Spinbrush is very tiny, almost too tiny for the body. I think you can use the MIA Clarisonic for body even though its not marketed that way. You can really tell the difference in price here because the Clarisonic is well built, and sturdy... but the Olay version doesnt fit in your hand as nice, and its not as well built as the other models.

Do I really need to spend $119 on a brush to wash my face? No. You donít need to. But it will get your skin cleaner and you will likely see improvement- like I have after using for just a few days. The brush removes significantly more dirt, oil and makeup than manual cleansing. Both brushes will help to loosen impurities from your pores alot more effectively than your fingertips rubbing soap on your face. However, this does not eliminate the need to exfoliate on a regular basis. The simple fact is that results from either brush are going to be better than not using one at all. The Oil of Olay clearly provides more value at $30. Although I cannot say for sure, it doesnít feel as though it will last for years and years like the Clarisonic does. The Spinbrush is a bit flimsier in your hands than the Clarisonic. I have had my MIA for about a year now and I love it. I would recommend it to every woman really. Especially those women who are obsessed with new facial products, those who keep their skin a top priority and also those who have needs and maintenance when it comes to keeping their skin glowing. If you have dry skin, if you suffer from serious acne or a few blemishes, if you have large pores- this brush will be a godsend. Like I stated earlier, I saw results within DAYS of using this. Keeping in mind, I was using the Nutregena Wave beforehand, which I thought was just the greatest thing... NOT. It doesnt stand a chance against my Clarisonic, not even close. Plus I got sick of spending money on those expensive pads that you needed to attach. I dont have that problem with this- I can use any product i want, and can change them anytime I want. Well worth every penny ladies! Honestly! <

I am convinced that before I had my Clarisonic, my skin must have been kindof dirty all of the time, because washing my face with it is just on another level from washing my face without! Great for gentle exfoliation, unclogging pores, and prepping face for other treatments.

on 4/8/2013 11:23:00 AM

I love what my clarisonic does for my face. It's super easy to use and breaks down the timing so perfectly. I switch it up, though, due to my problem areas! I use the 20 second intervals on my cheeks and 10 seconds on my chin and forehead! I usually do the cycle twice because my skin likes lots of attention :)
I specifically purchased the plus so I could use the body brush attachment and I don't like that as much. It's hard to get out of the holder (I always break a nail) and only gives you 3 minutes of running time - which would be fine if you could run multiple cycles, but you can't. Maybe it's just my clarisonic but even when fully charged, all I get is 3 minutes from the body brush. That frankly is not worth the amount of effort I put into getting it in the extender, fighting with it for 5 minutes to take it out and then the $10 that I have to pay to get my nail fixed!
I think that perhaps I should have just gone with the Mia since I only use it for my face. If I ever have to replace it, i think that's what I will do!

on 3/26/2013 5:55:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

i own two... the original large one ( i bought years ago) which i leave at home and the mia a more recent purchase which i use for travelling. I use the clarisonic most nights and when i start to get lazy i notice the difference in my skin. nothing cleans the skin better. the trick to truly feeling a difference in your skin is the products you use after. the clarisonic preps your skin so that whatever product you put on afterwards has the opportunity to truly penetrate into your super clean skin. i found using it twice a day was a bit much for me personally. i definately recommend giving it a shot.

on 3/5/2013 2:38:00 AM

I use my Mia every single day. It was expensive so I use it religiously ... very religiously. Everyday I use it to cleanse my face at night very thoroughly. Because my skin is clear right now, I can't tell much of a difference. However, one thing i know for sure and it's that I use my Mia religiously everyday to clean my face at night, and I know prior to using the Mia, my face was not as clean as it is now. It's a staple in my collection and I always have it with me wherever I go and travel to. So that tells me that I can't really live without, and if I lost it tomorrow, i would go out and buy another one ... even though it's expensive because i'm so used to using it every night and the cleansing it gives my skin is incomparable to washing with my hands. I like the deep pore cleansing brush! I'm not sure if it helps absorbs products but i notice that skin is so much cleaner, clearer, and fresher as a result of using this product. It just feels healthier. I do recommend and will keep using it for a very very long time.

on 2/15/2013 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

ABSOLUTLEY CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT!!!!! I have acne prone, combination skin and since the use of the clarisonic I have had smooth skin NO BREAKOUTS! I'm in love. I use this with Philosophy Purity Gel Cleanser once a day and my skin is so smooth and feels so clean! Overuse I've noticed does cause redness for me, but once a day my skin is perfectly fine! Give it a try

on 2/2/2013 3:25:00 PM

Own the original version. It does a great job. Skin feels smooth and very clean.

Skin: Very Oily, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

QVC raves about this product so I bought it when it was offered on easy pay. I wanted to love it, but don't. It is kind of messy and takes up too much space on my small vanity. More importantly, it led to me developing these rough, dry, dark patches on my upper cheeks. It's been months and they're still there. I tried using it less often with the gentle brush but even that hasn't helped. I tend to believe that cosmetics cop lady who says you can get the same cleaning effects from using a wash cloth. Not a fan.

on 12/17/2012 2:32:00 PM

I wanted to love this product so badly. Unfortunately, I have acne prone skin (and sensitive at that) and despite my best efforts and trying the cleanser provided and then going to my fail safe cleanser (Philosophy Purity) this did not work for me. Actually, after the initial benefits I think it made my skin much, much worse. I had clusters of acne in areas that I have never had serious breakouts (around the mouth, along my neck/jawline) and nothing could treat them. Eventually I had to (beware, TMI alert) violently pop them which has created a number of scars but at least now the massive bumps have disappeared and healing is happening. (This was after leaving these giant bumps to heal on their own without touching them for over a month with no change.) I have never had the type of acne that I experienced until after using this product. It's as though it spread bacterial and pushed it deep into my pores.

I can definitely see the benefits for those with the right skin type and it does remove make up impressively! Also, kudos for Sephora for having such a fab return policy!!

on 11/18/2012 11:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I cannot live without my clarisonic. It's my number one must-have beauty tool. The first time I used it, it made my skin feel brand new. It was unbelievably soft and smooth, and it removed my makeup better than anything else I've used. Hate having to charge it, but it's a small price to pay for having healthy, gorgeous skin. I'm not kidding when I say strangers ask me what I'm using on my skin- it makes that much of a difference. Worth every penny.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools