December 20, 2014 | 1671 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A Micro

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2012 3:45:00 PM More reviews by Amie25

Hi Ladies! I've read all your comments before agreeing with my Dr. that I'd jump in and try it. I'm 31 and had moderate acne, mainly horrible Cystic ones where I'd go get a shot to calm in down. I've been on Retin A- Micro 0.04% and my doctor thankfully, gave me strict instructions. She said STOP using all your drying out, acid products for acne. You CANNOT use this while on Retin- A. She told me to go buy CeraVe facewash and face lotion because that stuff, while inexpensive, is the BEST stuff for your face designed by a team of Dermotoligists. So, I complied, and my wallet was happy- ALthough my Retin -A cost $180.00 - uh ya. First week my skin looked good but was tender, next week i noticed light flaking, and the 3rd week, BREAKOUTS!!! My life sucked. My face was a nightmare, but I stuck with it, cuz EVERYONE including my lovely Doctor told me this would happen, that it's part of the process. So, I'm now ending my 4th week, and oddly my breakouts are going away quickly. My face is oily and I have to blot it more than usual because I think of the hydrating Cerava, but that stuff is a dream and has saved my skin from over drying and peeling too much. My skin looks pretty good now, thank God! I think the worst is over, and I'm thankful my doctor switched up my entire skin routine, which I was very nervous about! But hey! What I was doing, wasn't enough, wasn't work! This does so far. Try it for yourself, and get some very hydrating facewash and lotion, that's it! Nothing else. Or you'll peel and hate life. :) Good luck!

OK it's been a few more weeks since I wrote this and I've had the WORST breakout of all - I think I'm on week 6 - week 6 suck - horrible acne that takes forever to heal. Going back to dr. on jan 10th to see what's up. I heard day 33 is the worst as it finally reached the bottom layer of skin -and by day 66 you should be clear - let's hope or I'm giving up. i don't even want to leave my house ;(

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/13/2012 9:04:00 PM More reviews by antoinette07

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Well I started on retin a micro about 3 weeks ago. so far its not bad at all. i used it everyday for about a week all over my face. big mistake. the first two days, nothing really happened. no burning, stinging, peeling, dryness, or breakouts. nothing. but then when the 3rd day came, oh.my.god. everything was happening. it burned so bad when i applied it. it even burned when i washed and moisturized my face. i had to put my face up to a fan for a couple of days. it was also severely dry. it was so dry and tight that my face had begun to crack. i continued to use it everyday for the next two days until i just couldn't take it anymore. the retin a micro left behind chemical burns on my upper cheek and around my mouth. not bad burns, but like light scabs. i broke out around my nose and on my forehead, but not bad breakouts. just little whiteheads. my face looked awful. it never looked so bad before. so after all of the mess i went through the first week, i started using it every 2 days. and that helped a lot. my face got adjusted to the retin a micro a lot better. i did this for the 2nd week. eventually the dryness and tightness stopped. the burning stopped. the little burns that i had eventually flaked away or rubbed off. the retin a micro started to work its magic :) now i'm approaching the end of my third week. and i can say that my face is on its way to clearing up. i have been using it every other day to. because the retin a is exfoliating my skin so well, quickly, my acne scars on my forehead, temples, and chin are slowly fading away. my skin complexion overall is evening out and lightening up. my face is not soft, but better. it's marble smooth. the downside is i am starting to breakout on my chin and forehead and kind of on my temples. but those are my problem areas. i have problems with clogged pores, whiteheads, and blackheads. my acne is pretty mild. not bad. i don't have like severe cystic acne or anything. but the retin a is doing its job. it's bringing all of the impurities underneath the skin to the surface which is what i want. i have a lot of whiteheads and blackheads coming up. which is good. but they're barely noticeable though. oh and my skin is producing less oil than it used to which is very, very good. i don't have oily skin, but over time throughout the day, it will get pretty oily. i will have to say that my skin will be pretty clear and in good shape by summertime. i am really hoping that it will. i mean my skin isn't getting worse to me, but its slowly getting better. so i will update, i don't know whenever. probably within the next month or so.
* because retin a micro is so very strong, i am being very gentle with my face as much as possible. i don't scrub my face like i used to because the retin a itself is exfoliating my skin so much. but this is my simple routine that i'm going to be doing for as long as i'm on this treatment. im not going to being switching the products anymore period

AM
-Cetaphil Cleanser
-Complex 15 moisturizer

PM
-Cetaphil Cleanser
*wait about 30 min or until completely dry
-Apply like a pea size and a half of Retin A Micro all over face
-No moisturizer, and just go to sleep

*on days i know is going to be sunny i will use Neutrogena Intensified Daily Moisturizer spf 15 in the morning
*every 3 days or if i see a lot of shedded skin, i will use St. Ives Apricot scrub for sensitive skin

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2012 1:09:00 AM More reviews by spiritinsky

I have been using this for about eight months now and I have to say I simply love it. Initially, when I started using the product, I had horrible breakouts even in places where I never usually break out. I had hundreds of tiny breakouts all over my face but I decided to give it a fair amount of time before giving up. After about a couple of months, my skin began to settle down. There were still some clogged pores but my skin was looking much calmer. Now after eight months, my skin is totally free of acne and it has helped with the deep pitted scarring too. Nothing too dramatic but there has definitely been some improvement in the acne scars. The red and black marks have reduced as well. Having said that, my skin still peels horribly and sometimes I can see a big pile of dead skin sitting on my face right before it starts to peel all over again and it does not look pretty but I will take it any day as it works well with the acne as well as the scarring. It is not a miracle and it does not work overnight but if given enough time it does prove worthy.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2012 5:01:00 PM More reviews by emonty

I am 22 years old and just started having acne this year. I have tried a lot of products such as: burts bees natural acne solution, acne free severe, proactive, dove beauty bar, beauticontrol, etc. I have moderate acne, mainly around my mouth and chin area, and a bunch of little zits on my forehead. I graduate from college in December so in October, I finally forced myself to go to the dermatologist... boy am I glad I did.

The dermatologist took one look and my skin and perscribed me .1% retin a micro. I am on week 8 now, before I tell you how my skin looks now I want to talk about the first few weeks. After reading nearly all of these reviews, I was scared to death. I developed a skincare regime as follows:
Morning:
1.)Cetaphil dermacontrol (applied with Clarisonic on the low setting)
2.)WAIT 10 MINUTES then use a PEA SIZE (don't over do this, it will make your face much worse, a little goes a long way) of retin a micro. They say to wait ten minutes because if you apply retin a to moist skin, your face will peel worse and become more agitated. (**** I ONLY USE RETIN A ON MONDAY,WEDNESDAY, AND FRIDAY****)
3.) Apply Olay moisturizer for oily/combo skin 15spf

Night:
1.)Cetaphil (as above)
2.) St. Ives apricot scrub for sensitive skin. This helped a lot with getting rid of the dead skin from peeling.
3.) Retin a (as above)
4.)Olay (as above)

It is crucial to only use a pea size for the entire face. Too much will damage your skin maybe even beyond repair. This is a strong topical and will literally give you a chemical peel if you don't use it correctly. It is also important to WAIT at least ten minutes before applying retin a.

The first few weeks were pretty bad, break outs, peeling, redness, etc. But now, I have flawless skin. I am approaching week 8 and I have not one pimple in sight. I have my confidence and my skin back. I am so grateful for this medication but I feel like my results were so great because I followed my dermatologists direction to a T and I have shared it with all of you so I hope some of this information helps. I would definitely recommend this product and hope you all get the results that I have.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2012 8:29:00 PM More reviews by jaclynalisha

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Reading some of these reviews, I too, was very hesitant on using Retin-A Micro.

I am 21 years old and just started to have skin problems within the last year, or so. I never had a concern about acne because I was always the girl growing up with great skin. Oddly enough, after going through a rough time everything changed in my life.. And my skin took the opportunity to react to my emotional state.

I've tried everything from expensive skin care regimens to antibiotics to spending big money on makeup I hated wearing.

It was just within the past month I switched derms, and was told that Retin-A is the miracle. I was given samples of different types, like Tazorac (which I tried for a week but could not stand the pain). I almost gave up on caring about my skin until I prayed that I get my skin back to being flawless. Something told me to try the other sample, Retin-A Micro.

Despite the redness and peeling, I cannot believe the results I am experiencing. My scars have significantly faded, pimples are diminished and best of all, I have new and revived skin.

I am also on a 2 month dosage of Sulfa-Meth Bactrim, which I am close to concluding.

None the less, Retin-A is a miracle product. Please, if you are experiencing acne or severe skin dullness and would like to maintain beautiful skin well into your elder years...PLEASE give this the chance it deserves. You will not be sorry.

I will use this in conjunction with Philosphies: Purity and Microdelivery face washes until infinity.

Pray on it ladies!!!!!!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/27/2012 7:34:00 PM More reviews by smengada

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

recently i went to dermatologist because i wanted to get rid of my acne scars. been struggling acne since i was 13 now that im 31 its under controlled . for the recent years been into birth control pill , accutane, lots of topical treatment too and dermabrasion and skin peeling. injectons name it i had done it all. until recently the doctor checked my face and told me that i have to undergo glycolic peels and micro dermabrasion for 6 session which is good for 6 months and gave me a retin a micro 0.04 i used it for straght 12 weeks and it gaved me devastated skin. i could deal with dryness and flalky skin but the not the worst break out in my entire life big postules, papules, acne black head and white head all in one in my face. i dont even look in the mirror because i look so ugly. but my husband the way he looked at me he would always say your beautiful lol.

now i went back to my doctor and he switch me to TACTOU gel cost $111.00 let see how it works on my face but i wont recomment retin a micro.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/15/2012 4:26:00 PM More reviews by morgwild

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I could deal with the flaking stage. I just used ProActive's tea tree oil moisturizer since it went on clear. Any moisturizer that looked white before "settling in" tended to make the flakes on my face look worse. The problem for me was that after the flakes settled down, I noticed that the blemishes I did get would disappear only to leave marks on my flesh.

The blemishes I got before this product rarely, rarely left dark marks on my face; nearly ALL the blemishes I got while using this product went dark. It's been at least six months and I still have slight brown marks in 4-5 places from the period when I was using this product.

I went back on Minocycline after this and then decided to go natural. If I eat limited wheat and sugar, sleep right, and take 50g zinc tablets my face is close to perfect. So. I'll stick with that.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2012 11:57:00 PM More reviews by raenamercedi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I started using Retin-A gel for moderate acne as a teenager almost twenty years ago, and I stopped using it after it caused severe redness and irritation.
At 30 I began to experience cystic hormonal acne, especially on my jawline and chin, with additional breakouts on my forehead and cheeks. Along with changes in diet and skincare I started to use the Retin-A cream, which I found to be very greasy, and it caused me to suffer clogged pores and additional breakouts.
I switched to the Retin-A gel, and I suffered severe redness and flakiness. My skin did not tolerate this well at all, perhaps because of the alcohol base, and I eventually gave up on it. I tried Differin, which did not cause as much flakiness, but it left my skin very dry and irritated. I also tried Taxorac, which wasn't as drying, but it left my skin very red.
I started using Retin-A Micro 0.04% three months ago, and i like it the most out of all of the prescription medications I have tried and used. I have little to no irritation and no redness. My face can get a little dry (and this is with nightly use, the other medications I could use three nights a week maximum), but the dryness can be controlled with moisturizer in the morning.
I wash my face with a mild cleanser and my Clarisonic in the morning, and at night I remove my makeup with an oil cleanser. I apply a small amount of Argan oil, wait an hour or so, and I apply the Retin-A micro.
The formula itself is a little odd. It is between a gel and a cream. It almost feels a little "gritty" as though there are micro particles in it. It spreads easily, and I only use a pea sized amount for my entire face.
My skin is much less oily (but not dry and tight) since I started using it. I do not have flakiness, my acne is well under control, my pores are beginning to appear smaller, and I am stating to notice a decrease in fine lines.
My skin tolerates this really well. I can even use it on my undereye area without irritation. My only regret is that I didn't start with this and tried very other one first.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/2/2012 2:05:00 PM More reviews by marba1

I've used Retin-A micro for years. I only stopped using it about 2 months ago because I've discovered Environ Retinol 1 and Retinol 2.

The reason I stopped using the RETIN-A micro is because I had an injury under my eye and Retin-A micro made the scar irritated and grown bigger.
Also, my skin has become sensitive ( after many years using skin care with parabens and other toxic ingredients, I also can have eczema but rarely on my face ) and I wasn't able to use Retin-A more than 3 days in a row per week. My skin would become very peeling and sensitive and I couldn't not use it 4th days in a row.

I am using Environ Retinol and I am in heaven..

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2012 2:27:00 AM More reviews by UrbanObsession

I have struggled with moderate acne ever since I was twelve years old. Was prescribed retin a micro by my dermatologist at age 16 after using a variety of creams (differin, benzoyl peroxide, etc) and this stuff was a miracle! My skin cleared after 8 months of using it, which seems like a long time, but when you struggle with persistent acne for years, it's not a long wait. Flash forward to age 21, I stopped using this product for a year due to not having insurance and within that time period my skin went back to the way it was with a vengeance! Huge, cystic acne bumps appeared on my chin, usually four at a time, and I had never experienced cysts-painful and impossible to conceal! So I caved and went to the doctor, I requested a prescription for this product and 3 months later, my skin has improved quite a bit. Do not use this product for a month and give up! It takes time to see results and most likely, your skin will go through a "purging" process where whiteheads appear all over your face, which totally sucks but only lasts a month or so. Use a gentle cleanser to reduce inflammation and I recommend a heavy duty moisturizer! I'm so grateful I started using this again and it has anti-aging properties- score!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No