Avene Cold cream ultra-rich cleansing gel

Avene thermal spring water, disodium cocamphodiacetate, myristic acid, peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, coco-glucoside, glycerin, sodium cocoyl isethionate, isohexadecane, cocamidopropyl dimethylaminohydroxypropyl hydrogenated collagen, sodium lauryl sarcosinate, ceteareth-60 myristyl glycol, beeswax, cetyl alcohol, orange oil, glyceryl stearate, propylparaben, rosemary leaf oil, salt, styrene/acrylates copolymer, triclosan, xanthan gum

on 10/28/2007 8:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Me: extremely sensitive, dry, fragile skin with moderate Rosacea. My HG cleanser for over 20 years is Sebamed Liquid Face and Body Wash, but lately I purchased some Avene products (including Eluage Cream, which I love) and I decided to give this cleanser a try, too. It's supposed to be for sensitive, dry to very dry skins of both children and adults. It comes in a nice 400 ml pump bottle and isn't fragranced. It's a milky cream which hardly foams. I use one pump for both my face and body, add some water, gently massage it in and rinse off. Now I have to admit I'm quite disappointed in this cleanser. It's supposed to be non-drying, but I find it quite drying. Esp. compared to my Sebamed cleanser, which is a similar type of cleanser. Also this cleanser does have a pH of 6.5, and the Sebamed has a pH of 5.5, which is better for (dry, sensitive) skin. So the fact this cleanser doesn't contain SLS and/or SLES doesn't mean it is a more gentle cleanser after all. I still would recommend this cleanser for normal to oily skins but I won't repurchase. I will use it to wash my makeup brushes;-)
Ingredients: Avene Thermal Spring Water, Water, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Myristic Acid, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Coco-Glucoside, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyk Isethionate, Isohexadecane, Cocamidopropyl Dimethylanminohydroxypropyl, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Ceteareth-60 Myristyl Glycol, Beeswax, Cetyl Alcohol, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, Propylparaben, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Triclosan, Xanthan Gum. Neutral pH 6.5

on 9/14/2007 4:00:00 AM

I'm disappointed with this product. It's not that it's very harsh or drying, so there is a distinct improvement when compared to the products I used before, but this cleanser still leaves my skin feeling tight and uncomfortable. Perhaps I had too high expectations, or perhaps it's not the cleansers I use, but the water that's drying. If so, I'll have to edit this post, but for now I feel that 3 lipsticks is enough.

on 8/20/2007 12:18:00 PM

I like this basic reliable cleanser. It is non-irritating, not-drying and thorough-cleansing. The pump-bottle is very convenient and hygienic. It is very versatile – you can use it to wash your face, your body and your brushes with it. I usually use it in the colder months and when my skin is more on the dry and normal side (which is it most of the time). By the way I have sensitive normal/dry skin. When my skin is leaning toward combinational type, I prefer Avene Gentle Gel Cleanser.

on 8/16/2007 1:04:00 AM

Finally, a cleanser that doesn't end up in the trash. The purpose of a cleanser is simply to clean the skin and remove impurities, and the Cold Cream Gel does just that. It doesn't dry me out, it doesn't leave me rashy or covered in zits, it doesn't make my eyes burn, it doesn't smell gross. All it does is clean EVERYTHING including mineral makeup and sunscreen without doing anything that would make me want to throw it into the garbage.
I also use it as a body wash now and then, if I run out of my regular stuff, it's such a huge bottle and does such a good job of cleansing I figure, why not?

on 5/20/2007 9:15:00 PM

I love this cleanser. After having bad reactions for some reason to all my HG cleansers, I was told this product would help soothe my skin. I'm not sure if there are two cleansers people have been reviewing, but there is no way this stuff could foam. It is very gentle, but non-foaming (which is fine, I usually find those too drying), and helped clear up my skin. I follow it with the Avene Thermal Water.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This didn't work for me....while using it dripped into my eyes and stung! After I patted my skin dry, I noticed my lips and the area around them were dry and flakey!! I've never had this problem from cleansing before. I usually always use Avene's Extremely Gentle Cleanser, but decided to try this after reading so many rave reviews (and wanting to get away from the SLS in the EGC)...but I think the myristic acid is too harsh on my skin. Shame...I think I'll use as body wash.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a very nice foamy cleanser that leaves my skin just the right balance of squeaky clean and hydrated. It's awesome for my oily, sensitive, acne prone skin. It gets off all my mascara without irritating my eyes and leaving my skin dry or taut, and it removes mineral makeup and sunscreen with no problem. The 400 ml size is ginormous, which is great since it costs alot to ship overseas.

on 5/5/2007 11:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is for the version sold in US CVS stores. It is a very creamy, low lathering cleanser. Non irritating, not stripping, rinses clean but does not overdry. One lip off because it does not remove waterproof ss and makeup the way one would expect from a product labeled as a cold cream.

on 4/29/2007 11:55:00 AM

I adore this cleanser! I have dry, sensitive and acne prone skin and while I prefer foaming cleansers, I had given up on them because they all make my skin too dry. I had resigned myself to using cream cleansers but I was missing the foam (fun to use!) and the clean feeling that foaming cleansers leave. Anyway, I saw the raves for this product and bought it the very next day. I couldn't be any happier with it! It foams beautifully- I can't understand previous reviews that mention the lack of foam, it foams extremely well for me. I use one pump and make the product (consistency of thin lotion) foam between my hands before applying it to my face. There is no bothersome smell, it cleanses the skin very well (I use European s/s and foundation, powder, blush and it gets everything out without any trouble) It rinses clean and does not leave my skin dry or taut like other foaming cleansers do. I could not be happier with this cleanser. I would pay much more for it but I don't have to, because on top of everything else, it is quite affordable. I can honestly say my search for HG face cleanser is over. Thanks everyone who reviewed this product before me. I would not have tried it without all the reviews!

on 4/19/2007 9:45:00 AM

This is what I've been trying to find in a cleanser! I only hope I don't develop any adverse reactions to it after long term use... it cleanses beautifully, doesn't have SLS, and I can rinse off instead of wipe (which can irritate my skin - I'm THAT sensitive). I don't use liquid sunscreen anymore so I don't know if it will take it off well. I use powdered s/s and MMU so this stuff takes it all off without irritating my skin or rosacea... If no skin problems crop up, this could be HG and I can happily end my search for the perfect cleanser!

Update: I had to dump this - made me break out in little bumps :(