July 29, 2014 | 1205 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Dune EDT

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2008 9:48:00 AM More reviews by dascha

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm not generally a fan of the mainstream, big-name, "perfume-y" perfumes, but this is very lovely and interesting. Recently I discovered a cache of samples I'd collected as a teen, and this was one of them. I doused myself thoroughly with Dune this morning, after reading the 5 star review in "Perfumes:The Guide." To me, this smells like hay, like sweet clean hay. Like sweet grass on a hot summer day. Beautiful, interesting, love the name. ETA 1hr later: Well, now I smell the "cheap chocolate" drydown. Not my favorite thing. Kinda disappointing. ETA: 2 weeks later: Okay, I had a really old sample vial and after a spritz from a real bottle I got that sweet grass thing all day and I love it. 5 stars.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2008 9:44:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really did not expect to like this fragrance. However, Dior's a good house and anything with a name like "Dune" is checking out. I wanted something dry. Dune *is* dry and evokes a dune at a beach pretty well. I agree with others that the opening seems boozy. I can't really pick out the heart. The base is gorgeous. It is primarily an amber with some vanilla; nothing powdery about this amber and it's not overly sweet either. As someone else wrote, it seems like it has a salty-sweet thing going on. I really like this one! Notes: (top) mandarin, aldehydes, rosewood, green tones; (heart) broom, rose, peony, lily, jasmine and orris; (base) as lichen, warm amber, musk, patchouli and benzoin. I swear I don't smell any of those heart florals at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2008 6:01:00 AM More reviews by CandyApple85

this is a very beautiful fragrance in a very elegant bottle. on me it smells like a dense and very complex vanilla based scent with a touch of something a spicy and a hint of a boozy note. it reminds me of the beach, but not in a tropical way... its sort of reminiscent of the dry sand and the salty ocean.. hard to describe! i think this perfume has the potential to be very versatile.. its sexy and feminine, so perfect for a date, its comforting and cosy in winter, and also perfectly apt for a balmy summer day. its also the complete opposite of the fruity-florals that are so ubiquitous. what impresses me most about this frag. along with most dior scents it seems, is the lasting power. i wore a spray of this on the back of my hand, and spent the afternoon doing household cleaning, so my hands were soaked in all kinds of detergents and soaps - and yet by the end of the day i could still detect the scent of this perfume on my hand, which is very impressive!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/2/2008 5:06:00 PM More reviews by tootietootie

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I read the reviews and then purchased it. Dune isn't for me although it is pretty and feminine. After about an hour of wearing it I smell yeasty. Carmelized sugar comes to mind at that time. I've had candidiasis (maybe I still do) and this seems to aggravate it. I wear perfume everyday, so all perfumes don't do this to me. It is pretty, especially the first 1/2 hr but after that... have to take a bath or spray on something else.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2008 2:42:00 PM More reviews by verolyn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Just lovely. Not what I expected, but it gets more beautiful as it wears. When I first put it on, it was a strong bourbon and vanilla combo. It was a nice, high-quality pairing, but not at all what I expected or wanted. I was ready to junk it.

Fortunately, I gave it a chance to develop. The drydown of Dune is its real beauty. Desert breezes smelling of middle eastern spices and hot sand. Oddly calming and comforting. You definitely get the sensation of a warm breeze.

It is a dry and spicy oriental. The "wallflower" middle note (which I'd never heard of other than to describe shy people) is actually a small flowering shrub that grows in sand dunes. They are related to mustard, hence the dry spiciness of this perfume. Some people also get a maple syrup scent from this note. That may explain the slight sweetness and warmth also present in Dune.

Dune is exactly what I wished Guerlain's Samsara would be. Beautiful for winter, very long lasting.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2008 2:30:00 AM More reviews by gemstoneruby

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love Dune, it smells beautiful, my cousin from Paris brought me it when I was 16, loved it ever since.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2008 5:30:00 PM More reviews by melodiej

LOVE THIS PERFUME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LASTS ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VERY WOMANLY , SEXY!!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2008 7:00:00 PM More reviews by productaholica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm in love! This perfume lasts forever ... it's powdery, comforting, beautiful and unique. Dior says it's for daytime use, but I prefer it for evening wear. I get a similar feeling with DK Cashmere Mist (another powdery fav) although they smell very different from each other.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2008 11:48:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

When I was a kid, this was always my favorite perfume. I was big into buying magazines and this was in samples inside them. It's one of my all time favorites and brings back those memories of flipping through glossy fashion mags and smelling all the latest perfumes. Back when I had a fascination for those things because they were new and exciting. Dune is fresh and warm at the same time, it's a sophisticated fragrance that I've adored for a long time. Like sand and the sun on a hot beach.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2007 12:50:00 AM More reviews by mka71

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've worn this on and off for the last 10 years. It's a bit strong at first but dries down to a sweet mix of spice and soft musk. As another reviewer said - it's a bit hard to describe, so you could call it mysterious. I get compliments on it regularly. However, over the last year or so, I find that it causes me to sneeze if I wear it too many days in a row. Nevertheless, it's a staple in my collection.