July 28, 2014 | 979 users online

Deodorants - Tom's of Maine - Natural Deodorant

rated 2 of 5 on 9/7/2011 3:20:00 PM More reviews by gaucho

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I wanted to like this product: it is cruelty-free, natural, and has a nice light scent. I didn't find any stinging or irritation after I shaved. But this stuff is so slimy; it goes on wet and never dries. All day long my armpits felt wet and sticky, as though I had never showered. Now I know this isn't an antiperspirant, so it's not meant to combat wetness, but should it simulate the feeling of being sweaty and dirty? I thought maybe it was just me, so I put a bit of this on my forearm and waited for it to dry. It took forever, and my arm still felt slightly tacky.
As for odour protection, it seemed all right. I could even live with reapplying this to get better odour-fighting if it didn't feel so gross right afterward.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/11/2011 11:30:00 PM More reviews by annang

useless, it does not cover odor except for the fact that it is scented. it does not last more than a few hours at most, and all i am doing is walking to the subway in the summer then sitting in an air conditioned office. but i immediately notice odor in the middle of the day. this product does nothing for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/4/2011 1:03:00 PM More reviews by feelingcold

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It smelled nice and worked ok for a natural deodorant, but it made break out in a huge red rash. I had big patches of red, peeling, itchy skin in my armpits for nearly a week after I stopped using this. I couldn't wear any deodorant for a while after because my skin was so messed up that applying anything hurt.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2011 10:46:00 PM More reviews by ashleydutta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have the newer version, the "natural long lasting" deodorant in lavender scent. It is the worst thing I have every done to my underarms - it left me with red, burning, itching, flaky underarms - it is so uncomfortable and ugly :-(. I can't wait till this reaction goes away. I've tried many natural deodorants and none have done this to me. As far as performance - it's about average - better than many natural deodorants but not as good as Jason's tea tree roll on deodorant. I have to reapply in the day and still have some odor at the end of the day.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2011 1:56:00 PM More reviews by kitkat73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I tried the stick version in Calendula. I wasn't seeking to completely replace my chemical laden antiperspirant, but I like to use something more natural at least a couple of times a week. I don't expect miracles from a natural deodorant - I know they won't keep me completely dry. Just something for a day when I won't be "challenging" my deodorant too much with stressful situations or heavy exercise.

This actually seemed to be worse than nothing. Even when I hadn't actually noticed any sweating - I'd be stinky after a few hours with this on. In fact, the deodorant is a bit stinky in and of itself - the hops? I got the Calendula thinking it would be a gentle not too sweetly floral scent, but it just smells nasty. Seriously bad match with my body chemistry, anyway. Also horrible burning/ itching when used after shaving.

I'm using Nature's Gate now for my anti-perspirant free days. It's not perfect and I'm still looking, but it's 100 times better than this.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/13/2011 5:54:00 PM More reviews by justfortp2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Not effective at all. Usually I wear cotton wear and take regular bath so even a weak deo works alright. But for a job interview, I had to wear a synthetic blouse and it was a hot and humid day. Tom's deo was so useless that by afternoon my underarms were stinking like hell. Worst experience ever! Crystal's natural deo works much better though.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2011 3:09:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Bottom line - my pits still slightly smelled / were wet ; ) Maybe this will work for someone who doesn't have as big of a sweat problem as I do.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2011 7:25:00 AM More reviews by MAIERANNE

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried this product a couple years ago and had the red rash experience others speak about from the lavender......I shelved the product and went back to my aluminum filled stick......
Flash forward a couple years and decided to try again and I love it!!!! The secret is to continue to use it for at least two weeks and keep in mind you will need to reapply more frequently in that time period as your body adjusts. I now sweat much less than before and don't have the stick stained white shirts. I still cannot use the lavender scent but love the apricot and chamomille sticks. It still doesn't last quite as long as my degree or secret used to but I only reapply once in the afternoon evening. I can handle that for a aluminum free stick!!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/16/2011 11:43:00 AM More reviews by chrizzistine

I bought the lavender-scented one and it smelled so nice and glided on nicely. I used it for about a week and had no issues with wetness or smelliness. But then yesterday, I was shopping for clothes and noticed my underarms were itchy. I looked and I have a huge red rash! My skin is even peeling and it now burns. I quickly threw it out. Beware those with sensitive skin!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2011 9:55:00 PM More reviews by glossyxlipz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Yeah...works if your just sitting around all day doing nothing. But if you really do have some stank to cover up, this isn't going to cut it.

I gave it a lippie because it is aluminum free.