December 23, 2014 | 1536 users online

Deodorants - Tom's of Maine - Natural Deodorant

rated 2 of 5 on 12/20/2011 9:23:00 PM More reviews by vdvicci

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm another one of those people who didn't want to worry about the chemicals in my deodorant, so I made the switch to Tom's. Only the "long-lasting" type worked for me. But I started to notice my armpits were itchier & more irritated than before I started using Tom's. Now, they have changed color. I will not be using this product again.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/5/2011 11:44:00 AM More reviews by cerafina205

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have to put this on at night and in the morning for it to work for me. For the most part, it works like any other deodorant. It dries kind of flaky which is okay during the winter because i'm not wearing tank tops. Im going to have to figure something out for summer though.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/18/2011 1:04:00 AM More reviews by MaNDiiB00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Was so excited to try this product,Got this in unscented.. i was trying to find a cheaper alternative to Secret clinical waterproof! (HG) but sadly this did not work for me! I used it for 4 days and it gave me a huge cyst! =/ The first few days It lasted for a few hours and i noticed i wasn't smelling til later in the day. I did not like the sticky feeling either. Very disappointed =/

rated 2 of 5 on 9/26/2011 9:37:00 AM More reviews by NewMagneticWonder

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

For the first month, I was so excited about this deodorant, for exactly all the reasons you'd expect. In addition to all the health stuff, I was really tired of discoloring the armpit area of my favorite shirts (can't afford to keep replacing them!), and I was also totally done with my old deodorant; I'd used it for so many years that I'd begun to associate the (strong! florally!) scent with BO - I literally could not tell the difference anymore. I loved that Tom's was natural, unscented, and effective. I could also actually get 24 hours of use of this, as advertised, even with my morning workouts falling upon hours 22-24 of use. Things were going great! I was considering buying a six-pack of these on Amazon.

And then, the rash.

Apparently, a red, peeling rash is a fairly common side-effect of this deodorant (google Tom's of Maine Deodorant - results 4 and 8 are "rash" and "peeling"). I didn't even notice the slight burning - type discomfort upon application, so I was pretty shocked when I looked into the mirror last night and saw the rash. Great. Now I'm stuck finding a new deodorant.

In summary: yes, this product works. But reactions are common. Use at your own risk.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2011 2:50:00 PM More reviews by truffles1

I'm commenting on the Honeysuckle Rose version of this deodorant.
First of all, where's the honeysuckle?
We have a honeysuckle bush in the garden and the flowers smell dee-vine - this deodorant doesn't smell anything like honeysuckle and I bought it because I thought it would do.
OK - performance: Has anyone else noticed that a few minutes after applying this stuff to a clean dry armpit that it changes smell and absolutely STINKS?
I wonder if maybe it's the hops in it but it smells kind of vomity - euuchh!
Luckily, that smell wears away after a while and I'll give this 4 stars as I would buy it again as, for a 'natural' deodorant, it performs comparitively well in BO staving off terms.
Think I'd try a different smell version though....

rated 2 of 5 on 9/7/2011 3:20:00 PM More reviews by gaucho

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I wanted to like this product: it is cruelty-free, natural, and has a nice light scent. I didn't find any stinging or irritation after I shaved. But this stuff is so slimy; it goes on wet and never dries. All day long my armpits felt wet and sticky, as though I had never showered. Now I know this isn't an antiperspirant, so it's not meant to combat wetness, but should it simulate the feeling of being sweaty and dirty? I thought maybe it was just me, so I put a bit of this on my forearm and waited for it to dry. It took forever, and my arm still felt slightly tacky.
As for odour protection, it seemed all right. I could even live with reapplying this to get better odour-fighting if it didn't feel so gross right afterward.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/11/2011 11:30:00 PM More reviews by annang

useless, it does not cover odor except for the fact that it is scented. it does not last more than a few hours at most, and all i am doing is walking to the subway in the summer then sitting in an air conditioned office. but i immediately notice odor in the middle of the day. this product does nothing for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/4/2011 1:03:00 PM More reviews by feelingcold

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It smelled nice and worked ok for a natural deodorant, but it made break out in a huge red rash. I had big patches of red, peeling, itchy skin in my armpits for nearly a week after I stopped using this. I couldn't wear any deodorant for a while after because my skin was so messed up that applying anything hurt.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2011 10:46:00 PM More reviews by ashleydutta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have the newer version, the "natural long lasting" deodorant in lavender scent. It is the worst thing I have every done to my underarms - it left me with red, burning, itching, flaky underarms - it is so uncomfortable and ugly :-(. I can't wait till this reaction goes away. I've tried many natural deodorants and none have done this to me. As far as performance - it's about average - better than many natural deodorants but not as good as Jason's tea tree roll on deodorant. I have to reapply in the day and still have some odor at the end of the day.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2011 1:56:00 PM More reviews by kitkat73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I tried the stick version in Calendula. I wasn't seeking to completely replace my chemical laden antiperspirant, but I like to use something more natural at least a couple of times a week. I don't expect miracles from a natural deodorant - I know they won't keep me completely dry. Just something for a day when I won't be "challenging" my deodorant too much with stressful situations or heavy exercise.

This actually seemed to be worse than nothing. Even when I hadn't actually noticed any sweating - I'd be stinky after a few hours with this on. In fact, the deodorant is a bit stinky in and of itself - the hops? I got the Calendula thinking it would be a gentle not too sweetly floral scent, but it just smells nasty. Seriously bad match with my body chemistry, anyway. Also horrible burning/ itching when used after shaving.

I'm using Nature's Gate now for my anti-perspirant free days. It's not perfect and I'm still looking, but it's 100 times better than this.