April 21, 2014 | 970 users online

Powder - NARS - Powder Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 8/8/2010 6:45:00 PM More reviews by kemper1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this foundation at Sephora and it looked perfect in the compact. I tried a little on, and under the lights of Sephora, I though it was great. I bought it in Cadiz. When I got it home, it was a dry, powdery, chalky mess. I wear n9 in MAC's Studio Fix, and can't seem to find anything else with the same matching quality. I took it right back, and the search continues..

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2010 8:15:00 PM More reviews by bebeblondie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My skin is heinously oily, acne-prone, very sensitive, very fair with neutral-yellow undertones, with rosacea-y diffuse redness on cheeks/nose/forehead/chin.

What I wanted was a natural-looking matte foundation that provides a good color match, evens out my complexion, doesn't oxidize, has decent staying power (but can't expect miracles with my oiliness), doesn't break me out or cause irritation, and doesn't cake up when touched-up during the day. UV protection would be an added bonus.

So, I gave NARS Powder Foundation SPF 12 a go. I couldn't find it anywhere locally so I ordered it online from Sephora in the shade Deauville, which turned out to be a pretty good match. It's very, very similar to my Shiseido Sheer Matifying Compact in 100 (Very Light Ivory; see review) - both are *slightly* too dark for my skin. However, the NARS blends into my skintone more easily and looks more natural than the Shiseido.

I first tried to apply it with a sponge as I had been doing with the Shiseido, and kept layering and layering it on because it was not providing any coverage whatsoever! So I tried it with my Sephora bronzer brush, which worked much better. The coverage was still sheer, didn't completely conceal the redness, but I wasn't expecting it to. I feel like, for foundation to be natural-looking, your skin has to show through a bit, and above all else I never want to look like my face is just covered in makeup. It evens out my complexion pretty nicely, and the finish is matte but still natural looking (less matte than the Shiseido). Makes your skin look healthy.

While this doesn't cake or oxidize throughout the day, it disappears pretty darn quickly. Doesn't last as long as the Shiseido. However, when the Shiseido would mix with my skin oils, it would get kinda gross-looking, whereas this fades naturally and kinda disappears, which I prefer to yucky separated makeup. I've only worn it a few times and haven't tried reapplying in the middle of the day yet so I'm not sure how it'll do.

I wouldn't rely on this for complete sun protection as I doubt I'm applying enough of this to get the full SPF, but it's nice to know it has *some* sun protection in it.

The good news is, no breakouts or irritation thus far! Fingers crossed.

Overall, nice stuff, although I wish it were more affordable. If your skin is less oily than mine this will probably be perfect for you as it likely won't disappear as quickly.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/13/2010 1:53:00 AM More reviews by Jmarz888

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this foundation a week ago and just now tried it today and unfortunatly.... I didn't like this product. I was hoping to find something better than my Mac studio Fix that I've been using for years. I intitally wanted to try the sheer matte liquid foundation but chose to purchase this instead only because it is summertime and my skin tends to get oily especially more in the summertime. I noticed this foundation was CAKEY. Super cakey. I applied this on top of my Smashbox photofinish primer. Usually any of my powders and liquids would go on smoothly when used with this primer but not this particular foundation. I decided to try it on with just a moisturizer after noticing how horrific and cakey my faced looked. I washed my face and decided to re-apply and SAME THING. I wanted to really love this product. I've only owned one NARS product in my life and it was an eyeshadow. I wanted to try thier foundations out but sadly, this one has to go back. =( It doesnt look smooth. I guess i'll just stick to my MAC SFix.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2010 1:36:00 PM More reviews by botitas1977

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this powder when I was in my " powder phase " Its soooo beautiful. Def a step up from MAC studio fix. I love the compact and that it has a huge mirror. It is really good coverage without the cakeyness. Best used with a brush. The downside of this is that they don't have as many shades as MAC does. You get a LOT of product for your money. This is one of the few powders that i actually hit the pan with. In the summer time I wear SAHARA> I believe they DC now.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by Deborah535

I have used this product for at least 5 years now. I love the quality and coverage. It makes my skin look flawless and the compliments on my skin have been constant. I really don't understand the comments about it not having enough coverage. My aesthetician even asked me what foundation I was using because she was amazed at the coverage it gave me. This powder is definitely my HG foundation, I only wish it were cheaper. It does last me a very long time though, so I guess I can't complain too much.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2010 7:55:00 PM More reviews by RUThereGodItsMeMargaret

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love the classic black NARS packaging. Its on the expensive side of 45.00 (well maybe not expensive to those that say 350k isnt enough to live on). It s finely milled and goes on very smooth. The only problem was the color was too red for me. I looked like i was wearing blush all over my face, Try it if you can find the right shade for you.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/20/2010 1:50:00 PM More reviews by holgart

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am currently using this powder foundation and think it is just okay. I find it a bit drying and would prefer a little more coverage. They have a good color selection and Sephora helped me pick one that matched my skin. Its okay but I probably won't purchase again.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2010 9:23:00 AM More reviews by tborukhova

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this to replace my MAC fix (as another review here comments), and while this is a pretty great product (smooth application, decent coverage, good complexion match), it's a little too translucent than I generally prefer. My problem with MAC fix, aside from its inescapable tendency to crumble, is the fact that it can get cakey and even itchy (I have decent skin but it's kind of combo-esque around parts of my t-zone). I do prefer something more substantial than what Nars offers, but it is a great base, and it's excellent quality. Still on the hunt for the HG. I'm also a fan of the Bare Escentuals foundation, but as far as packaging, Nars is more convenient to use. I wish I could combine Nars, BE and Mac into one to have the ultimate foundation! I think most people prefer light coverage though, so this product will make a lot of girls happy, especially if they're after the "natural" look.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2010 11:11:00 PM More reviews by aliawilk123

Amazing. My mom got me this for christmas, and I can honestly say this is the only makeup thing I have used until it was dead and gone, then kept the packaging and needed more immediately. I break out from everything- but this. It covers amazingly, is very forgiving, and mont blanc is perfect for my light cool toned skin. I love this foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2009 9:09:00 PM More reviews by paulinathediva

I had bought this foundation powder simply because I had ruined my MAC Studio Fix Powder (water went into it), even if I thought that the Studio Fix was just a mediocre product. I've been checking out NARS' website for a while and really wanted to invest in something good. Planning to buy the Sheer Glow Foundation, I came across the NARS Powder instead. Being an NC 30 - 35, y brother helped me pick out a shade, in which I could've gone with either St. Tropez, Barcelona, or Casino (for a darker look.) It seems Barcelona was the one that matched my shade most.

Thank God my uncle got this for me for Christmas. I'm not sure if I was ready to buy a 40$ powder. First of all, I would have to say the packaging is a bit bulky - but other than that, the mirror is large and beautiful. You've got the rectangular shaped foundation powder and at the bottom, there's another compartment for the sponge.

Now talking about the product, I have oily skin and because I live in the Philippines, there's an excess production of oil. I can't stand the feeling of oily skin and since I can't wash my face when I'm out, I bring this little thing with me and it instantly gets rid of all the icky shine. THIS IS NOT A CAKEY PRODUCT. You can build it up to a very good coverage and it will still not look cakey! When touching the skin, it's very smooth and it looks natural as if nothing is on your skin.

I'm afraid I'll be hitting pan quite soon. I'm pretty sure this will be my HG.
Even so, it's worth the price! Try it out for yourself, you won't be disappointed.