December 22, 2014 | 1784 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2014 5:12:00 PM More reviews by fakingittillimakeit

So I will start off with what my skin and hair were like before this product,
Ethnicity: indian
Hair: long, processed, dry, wavy, dry(crunchy) weather related dandruff.
Skin: hypersenitive, numerous allergies, eczema, dry patches, dark scars from all of the above. I mean crusty dark ugly spotty scars alll over ladies
Face: dry, acne during pms, also scared.
BASICALLY LADIES IM A BIG, HOT STEAMY PILE OF MESS.
Well not so much anymore
Product used : BETTER BODY EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL.
Results? AMA-frikken-ZING!
Uses: hot oil treatment/ hair mask. Daily lotion, for cracked heels, dry hands, scars, dandruff, cuticle oil, dry knuckles, in between toes, body scrub (mix with sugar, use before soaping plan on scrubbing tub), dry crusty elbows. To shave legs,
As a hot oil treatment, I put it in a clean old dye bottle with a spoon cause it is solid under 76 degrees. Place squirt bottle in a coffee mug of boiling water. Let it get warm. Section hair, start at the the scalp if you have dandruff, this always goes on dry, product free hair. Massage scalp and work down to ends start from the back of the head to the front. You wanna look like a wet cat. Tie hair in a bun and wrap your head with plastic wrap put on an old snug winter hat and go about your day even sleep with it. The hat keeps any oil off clothes and furniture and keeps the hair warm to absorb the oil. Wash twice gently with shampoo. If it still feels oily thats okay the conditioner will help get it out too. Condition and air dry
Skin: replaces lotion, lasts longer, softens patches, crusty elbows, stretchmarks, you name it! Use this product ABUSE this product! Oh and if your pet has hair balls a teaspoon everyother day helps them pass it easily, painlessly and in the litter. Not in thw middle of th kitchen at your dinner party

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2014 4:41:00 PM More reviews by Lauraasti

I'm glad I started using this! It's definitely helped improve my skin by leaps and bounds. I've never gotten an official diagnosis for eczema, but my mother and sisters have it and I have very dry, scaly, itchy spots on various parts of my body. That, combined with the colder than usual winter my area has been experiencing, my skin has been a mess and lotion just wasn't cutting it. I bought the Nutiva brand in the organic aisle at my local grocery-extra virgin, cold-pressed and unrefined is the kind you want! Otherwise, you won't get the full benefits of this stuff. It's a little pricey, but a jar should last a while. It comes completely solid, but will melt around 76 degrees, or when your skin touches it. I recommend using a spoon to scoop it out, to avoid messes. Also! This isn't really something to use all over your body just before work or going out--it takes a while to absorb. I used this 3 days in a row before going back to my regular lotion and the results have been great. I bring the jar into the bathroom when I shower, that way the steam helps it loosen a bit. When I get out of the shower, I pat dry and then begin applying the oil. It smells so good! Not artificial coconut like we're used to and which I hate! I scrape out a teaspoon-full at a time, rub my hands to melt it (it's a little drippy!) then apply it from my shoulders to my feet. It doesn't absorb quickly, so I take extra time to rub it on my skin and then put on a light robe to hang out in before getting dressed. Every 15-20 minutes or so, I rub everywhere the oil is again, to try and help it absorb a little more. Usually about an hour or so, I get bored and get dressed. My skin feels great the next day! Not overly soft like it gets with silicone-packed lotion, but strong, healthy, hydrated skin. And my dry patches improved with each use. More delicate areas of my skin, such as my inner arms, we're silky smooth though. After 3 days, I started using my silicone-free lotion in place of the oil and my skin has never felt better and the dry patches have disappeared. I use the oil once a week now just for good measure and I'm so pleased. It can get tedious, but it's worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2014 2:27:00 PM More reviews by mumcanyou

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My lovely Auntie introduced me to the wonders of coconut oil when I was 18. I am now 50 and it is still a staple in my bathroom.

My biggest use is as a deep hair treatment.
I wash my and hair towel dry to get rid of the dripping and slather this on.
Don a shower cap and wrap the whole lot in a towel and watch a movie, wax my legs, do house work, whatever but for at least an hour.

I'm always pleased that I've taken the time to do this.

I don't love it as a body treatment - too hard to use sparingly when its solid and too runny when its melted (as it often does during summer).
But it is a great under sock overnight foot treatment.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 5:22:00 PM More reviews by dgz3120

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

ok, so with this harsh windy winter, my poor face has been horribly dry, even stings a little. So i come here and search for a good product to use. Ive wanted to try coconut oil for a while. So i just went down to my local walmart in the cooking section and all they had at the moment was the Louanns pure coconut oil. I bought a small container to just try it out. My face soaked up the oil like it was dying of thirst. It was a little greasy at first but i let it sit and it soaked right in, and the next morning, my sking felt and looked so much better. Im on day 5 of using this every night, and my face no longer feels tight, it feels smooth and supple and looks moist. Even my makeup is no longer cakey. I say try it out. Side note: a little goes a long way.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 5:11:00 PM More reviews by LoveTheShinyAisle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love using this as a leave in conditioner, i have fine hair with dry ends that get very dry and damaged at work so when I'm home i might put this in once or twice a week or when i go to the beach but out at work i put it in every second day ( only on the ends of my hair or else my scalp would be a grease ball after 1 day), it makes my hair soft and smell of the proper coconut smell not the artificial overly sweet stuff. I also eat it as a supplement and cook with it because If i used it only in my hair it would go rancid before id finished a jar =).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by HealthBeauty10

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love coconut oil as a moisturizer, it's awesome. I can't believe how nice it feels and at the same time keeps my skin clear and smooth. It also brightens my skin. I used to spend so much time and money on skincare products (cleansers, exfoliaters, serums, daytime moisturizers, night creams, eye creams, etc.) Those products didn't work so now I only use coconut oil as a moisturizer. I use a vitamin c toner and mix a little vitamin e or retin a with coconut oil as a moisturizer.

I use coconut oil sparingly in my diet. Eating too much of it makes me feel spacey and a bit nauseous. It's a great moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 9:40:00 PM More reviews by notevangelista

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've always flirted with the idea of being an all-natural, organic body product loving girl, but have never truly taken the plunge. While I'm not ready to hang up my inorganic make-up and skincare product loving hat yet, I have to say that my first-hand experiences with the multitudinous virtues of coconut oil have indeed made a strong case for green juice loving, natural beach hair wearing, coconut oil slathered lifestyle.

The virtues of coconut oil are most apparent in the body care department. I have stumbled upon, what I now believe is the 'perfect' cocktail of winter body products, i.e., coconut oil massaged onto the skin, topped up with the very hydrating Body Shop Olive Oil Body Butter in the evenings, alternated with the coconut oil and Avene Body Cream duo in the morning for a lighter finish. I can guarantee that your skin will feel wonderful, soft and supple in an immediately gratifying way.

In terms of a make-up remover, it is incredibly effective, but it is yet to rival my thrifty holy trinity of La-Roche Posay Micellar Solution, Cetaphil cleanser and washcloth in immediate effectiveness and an overall 'clean' feeling.

Coconut oil is great in the hair as a pre-wash conditioning oil, or lightly applied to slightly damp hair prior to blowdrying it. However, beware that the proportion to be applied to slightly damp or even dry, frizzy hair is prone to experimentation. You cannot be heavy-handed with the stuff at this stage, or else your hair will succeed in pulling off that freshly unwashed look, which very few, with the exception of runway models, can pull off.

Although I seem to have jumped onto the coconut ship, quite happily stringing along to whichsoever warm, tropical destination it may take me, I must admit that I am still quite wary of using it as a moisturiser on my face. The product seems to be quite heavy for the face with a limited absorption capacity, and I for one, do not look forward to the possibility of sleeping on an oily pillowcase. However, I have used it as a lip balm, and it was quite effective and a rather pretty looking all natural lip gloss.

Rest assured, despite the face moisturiser cynicism, I will not be without a tub of extra virgin coconut oil from this day forward.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 6:48:00 PM More reviews by armaclin041584

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my staple product for life!!

So many amazing ways to use virgin coconut oil for the hair, skin and body. LOVE IT!!

Coconut oil is THE BEST eye makeup remover. With clean hands, scoop out just a little bit, massage my eye lashes with the oil for 30 seconds and water proof mascara comes right off!

Coconut oil is THE BEST moisturizer for my skin (once it soaks in, my skin feels so soft and supple). After I get out of the shower, I apply the oil to damp skin and let it soak in for a few minutes. Coconut oil makes my skin feel so amazing, my husband has even started to use it!

Coconut oil makes THE BEST deep hair treatment!! Once again, once the oil has time to soak in, after I rinse my hair, my hair feels brand new! Just a tip for some, my hair soaks up coconut oil better once I have warmed a few tablespoons in a pan/microwave just until it liquefies versus scooping the solidified oil out with my hands and melting it with my hands. Also, the longer I leave a coconut oil mask in my hair, the better my hair feels!! Also, if it is cold outside, I do not recommend applying coconut oil to hair and then going outside without giving the oil time to soak in. Since coconut oil solidifies underneath temperatures of 75 degrees, you could end up with hard, flaky hair.

Depending on the brand, coconut oil has an amazing taste, plus nutritional benefits.

I only shave my underarms at night, and whenever I do, I always apply coconut oil to my underarms for the night. Since I started doing this, my underarm discoloration has drastically decreased from all of the moisture the coconut oil provides!

Finally, the price is spot on for 16 oz worth of this product. Depending on the brand, it will cost anywhere in between $6-16 bucks. Extremely worth a healthy multi-purpose product!

I LOVE ORGANIC UNREFINED EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Pheebie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I refuse to run out of this stuff. My favorite is Garden of Life, which I order in multiples from Vitacost. I've tried several brands, including Tropical Traditions, but found either the texture, smell, taste, or price unappealing, so I stick with GOL.

I can't even tell you how many jars I've gone through - I keep one in the kitchen and one in the bath. I ADORE it.

Kitchen: Every morning I stir a little into my coffee (for health benefits). I've made fudge using only coconut oil, cocoa powder & sugar - you have to store it in the refrigerator, but it is SO {bleeping} good, and easy.

We also use it in cooking ONLY if we're doing a dish that will be complemented by the coconut flavor. (We also keep a jar of refined coconut oil to use for making popcorn, seasoning cast iron, sauteeing veggies - anything that we cook / bake that we don't want to taste of coconut.)

Skin, Hair, & Body: I apply it after every shower instead of body lotion. I shave daily and have not gotten razor burn at all since using it as my moisturizer.
Once a week I'll take a tablespoon, massage some into my scalp and work the remainder into the length of my hair, leaving it in for at least an hour. I'll shampoo (with a 'traditional' SLS-containing clarifying shampoo), then condition as usual - it makes my hair soft & shiny.
I've used it to remove the last stubborn traces of eye makeup and even as an eyelash conditioner before bed.
Every day I work a little bit into my armpits, let it absorb for several minutes, then apply a little baking soda over it for an all-natural, EFFECTIVE deodorant. (Yes, it works, even in summer.)
I slather it on before and after swimming ~ it's so soothing.

Miscellaneous: Coconut oil reportedly has antimicrobial, antiviral, and antifungal properties and for that reason, I'll apply it to minor cuts and scrapes. I even smudged a little around my dog's eye when it was goopy and tearing. Two days later, her eye was back to normal. (I came across this tip online, and thankfully it worked.)

I don't know what else I can say that hasn't already been said ~ I just felt I should sing the praises of something I use daily and never want to be without.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 9:58:00 AM More reviews by shi1

I got really interested in using natural alternatives around the house and I heard so much about coconut oil that I just had to give it a try. I've used it for cooking, for hair, and for skin. I think its good but that there are its limitations.

First of all, the obvious difference is that its not as luxurious as most beauty products. It doesn't have the smells, textures and finishes as the ones on the market but that's to be expected. There's an obvious difference in price if you consider the amount of coconut oil you can get and its multiple uses compared to traditional products.

For cooking, it works well as a replacement for other oils or butter, but it does have a distinct coconut/nutty taste so it doesn't work on everything (in my opinion). I haven't tried it in baking yet but I'm sure the same is to be said there.

I tried it as a pre-treatment, and as a conditioner. I tried it on my scalp and it made it flake like crazy, so that was no good. I tried using it as a rinse-out conditioner once, and let me tell you, the stuff does not rinse out easily. I had to re-wash my hair. As a pre-treatment it does help to moisturize your hair but the results were just ok for me.

For skin, I have only been trying it on my body. I did not want to take a chance with the stuff on my face since I have sensitive skin and breakout easily. I've been making body scrubs with the oil, and using it as a moisturizer. As a body scrub its nice because it has a nice gentle coconut scent. I've found some great scrub recipes so I've been quite pleased with that. As a moisturizer, I find it takes a little while to absorb so you do feel a little greasy. I feel like I'm greased up to be cooked because of the coconut scent so its a bit of a miss for me. It does moisturize well, but then again, any oil will moisturize your skin (I'm going to try baby oil next).

All in all, I think its something that's nice to have around but I will not be buying the huge Costco size tub. I can see me using it here and there but not on a regular basis.