NARS Honolulu Honey

4.1

on 6/16/2009 6:07:00 PM

I have the lipstick come with the 9941 palette, and this is the one I reach out the most (The other three are gipsy, dolce vita and trans siberian). It's perfect for my NC20 skintone, giving me a nude lip without looking pale or out of place. Very wearable and the matte finish is beautiful.
Except one thing, the texture. It's a little dry, so if your lips are not in very good condition, they will look dry and uneven.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

this is such a gorgeous fleshy nude on my lips...very opaque to cover my uber pigm lips...flattering on my nc44 (studio sculpt)/C6 SF, w/ yellow undertones skintone...great with a smokey eye.

on 3/6/2009 1:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Although I love this product, I probably won't buy it again. The colour looks like a nude-y one, but on my lips it turned out a bit orangish. I also think it's a bit too sheer. I thought you could build the colour of this lipstick on your lips but it turns out you can't. But not bad. I will continue using this until it runs out.

on 2/7/2009 10:52:00 PM

Honestly, it's hard buying a nude lipstick for my skin tone that doesn't look out of place, and I think that in general NARS cosmetics compliments my look very well. With other products, like MAC, I usually have to search through 50 products before I find something that I love, but with NARS it's usually never the case.

In general, Honolulu Honey looks magnificent under NARS lipgloss in Turkish Delight or Orgasm, and looks very natural and just so pretty on my lips which happen to be fairly pigmented. So getting my lips down to a light shade without looking very fake and awful is awesome.

on 12/10/2008 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

So I was searching for a nude lipstick minus the pink and mauve tones, a true nude. Went to Sephora and the MA recommended this one. Honolulu Honey is a fleshy colored nude. Maybe a tad on the peach side. Texture is rather dryish, thus the matte finish. To make this wearable,(Im NC45-50) I apply MAC Bare Truth or Mad Cap liplglass over it, and use Iman lipliner in tan, and voila pretty nude lips for the DDD without looking like a corpse or like you been eating a box of powdered donuts.

on 11/27/2008 2:29:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This is my everyday HG lipstick. Compliments fair complexions. It is a nude beige peachy colour that is not shimmery or sparkly. Love it! Very similar to belle du jour but different on the lips. Belle du jour is more shiny. This one is matte.

on 11/25/2008 1:48:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I use Nars Belle du Jour just about every day. I love nude lipsticks. Looking at Honolulu Honey and Belle du Jour they seriously look identical in the tubes but I when brought Honolulu Honey home it looked orange on me. So. Very. Orange. Sadly this will be a return to Sephora. The consistency of the lipstick is good and the packaging by Nars is, as always, beautiful (though it does get smudgy easily). The color is just not for me.

on 10/30/2008 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I've just recently gotten into lipsticksandI have gone a little crazy. I like the nude lip look and this sort of gives my lips a blank canvas. I have to play around with this a little more as I just tried it for the first time today. I put a gloss over it (Clinique) and it looked like I had concealer on my lips. I am an NW45 color. I won't be purchasing again as I don't think I'll use it all up in my lifetime. I have to use a chestnut lipliner from MAC in order to not look dead. But I could see myself using it again.

on 10/4/2008 10:56:00 AM

If you are medium tone (NC30-35), have medium pigmented lips, want to wear MAC Freckletone color but cannot, Honolulu Honey is the next best freckletone for you. It has more pink so the color shows up on you better.

on 8/24/2008 3:59:00 AM

I decided to review this product even though I don't own it , to provide the comparison between this lipstick and Belle de Jour in hopes that this review will help somebody torn between purchasing the two to decided whether to buy this product or not.

Even though I own numerous nude and beige lipsticks, I am always looking for that perfect nude that will give you that mute barely there lip that looks so edgy paired with fierce smokey eye make up.

After doing lots of research this week, looking online, reading product reviews on make up blogs, I realized that Nars offers two nude lipsticks - Belle de Jour and Honolulu honey.

Today, I was finally able to find time and sneak into my local sephora store. In person the tubes for both lipsticks look identical - both appear as pinky nudish lipsticks from the first glance, however, when I swatched them on my hand and then later on tried on my lips, they looked drastically different.

Honolulu honey is much more matte than Belle de Jour. It is a highly pigmented matte lipstick, not a barely there sheer kind. It also has very strongly expressed peachy/coral and I am afraid to say this orange undertones. Overall, on me this did not look like a traditional nude lip - it is more of a bright coral peach lipsticks. After swatching on my hand, I even stepped outside the store into a day light to look at myself and to make sure Sephora's lighting was not somehow affecting my perception of this color.

In the day light, it is definitely an orangey peach coral lip and not a nude one. At least not on me.

I then went in back into a store and compared Belle de Jour to Honolulu honey, Belle de Jour is much more sheer and has beige, muted undertones rather than the orange ones. Overall, I feel this is not a perfect nude lipstick that I am looking for, but I went ahead and bought Belle de Jour because it looks extremely flattering on.

Popular Lipsticks