July 23, 2014 | 1308 users online

Powder - Everyday Minerals - Semi-Matte Foundation

rated 1 of 5 on 3/14/2012 12:46:00 PM More reviews by Karistona

I started using PurMinerals two months ago, which is in a pressed form. I really like it but it is way too expensive at $26. I wanted to try EDM since its really cheap compared to other mineral makeup brands out there. I ordered some samples to find my shade. And boy I wish I'd never put it on my face! I have normal-dry skin, but not sensitive. I can try on many things and still not have a reaction. Imagine my surprise when I started breaking out a day after I started using the samples. I still wanted to give it a try, so I continued it for a few more days, only to make things worse. I've stopped it now, but the red bumps and half formed zits are yet to go away. I think I'll stick with PurMinerals.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2012 4:16:00 PM More reviews by AgtBauer24

I love this foundation, especially this finish as it gives the perfect natural look. The only problem I have with this foundation is that multiple colors match my skin tone when I buff it out all over my face, lol, it's only a miniscule difference in a slight yellow or darker tone. I guess it's a good thing, but I always have trouble trying to decide which color to use so I have a few shades. I started with their samples, make sure you get samples as a color you thought would work might not turn out to work. Love how cheap shipping is too and I normally don't like to pay shipping for online orders.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2012 10:54:00 AM More reviews by jjonesjj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great everyday powder. Super affordable, non-irritating to my skin, very natural finish. Awesome selection of shades - was so happy to have found a perfect match to my light, asian skin tone. Too many other attempts at trying to find a good powder resulted in powders that made me look sallow, ghostly pale, or ruddy. Will repurchase forever! And again, I have to mention the price - $12 for 17 oz.!!! This lasts me at least three months with everyday use. HG!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2012 7:20:00 PM More reviews by watsonsmummy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hooray!

I used Revlon Colorstay for years. I needed the heavy coverage due to acne, although since it clogged my pores it was always a vicious cycle. Finally at age 40 my acne has calmed down and my combination skin is drier. I need less intensive coverage, something to even out my reddish, sunspotted skin tone and to cover remaining dark spots.

I wanted to try mineral makeup again because of the fast application but after a shiny,orange, and horribly itchy experience with Bare Minerals I was leery. I did my research on MUA and decided on Meow Cosmetics and Everday Minerals. I didn't like the Meow foundation because it was too dry (the blushes are great though).

I tried the EDM semi-matte base in many different shades and found a perfect match in Linen (for ref I am NW15, Revlon Buff). The coverage is buildable and, combined with the multi-tasking concealer, covers difficult spots without getting cakey. I set it with a spritz of water and pat away the dry skin patches. It does not settle in my lines. This is not an oil-control powder, though. They may offer that in another product but I prefer to just blot midday. My t-zone gets shiny but the makeup does not slide around. I have fallen asleep in it a few times and it has not broken me out. No itchies. I apply with the flat top brush and use the eye kabuki to apply and blend concelaer. I love these brushes.

The price is very reasonable ($12 for a big jar) and shipping is quick. Great stuff and I will continue to use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2012 5:09:00 PM More reviews by ahotjanuary

I have been using EM's Semi-Matte bases for several months now, and am very pleased with the results. My skin has all kinds of issues - sensitive, oily with dry patches, prone to breakouts - so I was nervous that the mineral powder would irritate, not provide enough coverage, etc. Not the case! Semi-Matte isn't drying, and covers well with a slight "glow" (not greasy). So glad I made the move from liquid bases; my pores are thanking me! I will say I make a good effort to clean my brushes weekly, and that has helped minimize breakouts to where I hardly get any now (knock on wood).

The prices for the sifters are reasonable, and since I have a couple of shades on hand to mix based on my tan at the time, they last a good while. Packaging isn't fancy, but the value and no animal testing/sustainable practices make it worth it to me.

Their samples are generous, so try some out!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2012 9:47:00 AM More reviews by hadleychristine

Packaging- I like how much product it has as compared to BareMinerals, but the sifter can be kind of difficult sometimes and it is hard to tell when you are running low on product which is frustrating since I have to order it offline and wait for it to ship. Don't expect to be able to remove the sifter either.

In general though, I love this product. I'm in college and HATE that I have freckles all over my face (yes, I realize they are cute) but it's not like I have red hair. I have blonde hair and blue eyes and pale skin with brown freckles. They are just frustrating. So, I mix moisturizer and some Clinque foundation and apply that first and after that dries I apply my EM foundation over that. I LOVE how it looks. My Mom even told me how much better my face looks than when I was using Bare Minerals. I will re-buy for now.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/26/2012 7:14:00 PM More reviews by woooooosha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I just got the sample kit in and haven't found my match yet, but I was more concerned with figuring out if it will break my skin out or not, so I've been wearing it every day. I have ridiculously sensitive skin. Anything and everything breaks it out, so I'll be extremely surprised if this doesn't.

I've worn this stuff for about 3 days so far, and while it hasn't made any noticeable new blemishes, it has slightly aggravated old ones. My skin has been super dry over the past few weeks, so I'm keeping a close eye on it. I haven't gotten cystic acne in a while though, and that seems to be what people are experiencing with this product, so as soon as I get more than one of those bad boys, this stuff will be going in the garbage.

I will say that I like the lack of bismuth oxychloride and Boron Nitride, which I've definitely had reactions to. They did recently add a filler called Lauroyl Lysine, which after poking around a bit, seems to be a safe amino acid derived from coconut. Not sure about long term effects, but it looks like the mica is only treated with it to create smoothness, so there probably isn't a whole heck of a lot of it. It seems to have good qualities, such as antimicrobial, and may even improve skin quality.

However, I did hear that they added this ingredient with no warning, so I'm wary about the company itself. I also heard that it did make people break out, so I'm waiting for that to happen to me. They don't use nano-particles (which can be embedded in your lungs when inhaled) so that's a plus.

Coverage - good coverage from semi-matte. It can be a bit cakey if you go overboard, so I may try a different technique.

Color - they have a ton of colors to choose from, and free samples, which is nice for somebody on a budget who doesn't know what skin tone they have. However, I'm finding it difficult, as always, to find a match. So far they either look yellow or ashy on me, so I'm shooting for an olive and I hope that will work.

Over all: Don't know if it breaks me out or not yet, but will update when it does. Hopefully it doesn't, but I have serious doubts. I don't really like the horror stories I've heard with the company and their marketing history, but it's kind of hard finding inexpensive mineral foundation to begin with (mineral foundation as a market is extremely overpriced), so if it doesn't break me out I might just go with them. Will update after a few weeks of using this stuff!

EDIT:
Unfortunately I think this may be the culprit for my latest breakout. Will stop use before I make a final decision.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2012 6:17:00 AM More reviews by MiaMoore

Olive Medium is the only mineral makeup I have found that matches my euro-asian mutt skin! Love the finnish- more of a natural glow that isn't too shiney for my oily skin. The packaging is great, especially for travel. I have a problem with getting mineral makeup to last on my oily skin- altho this is by far the longest wearing one i've tried, I still wish I didn't have to touch up after 6-8 hours of wear... but for the value, perfect color match, & finish, I'm willing to reapply!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2011 11:03:00 PM More reviews by heartyfarty

This is my HG foundation. I used to use Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Cream Foundation in Sandy Beige. My friend has amazing skin (her skin color is very close to mine) and her makeup is always flawless. Got me thinking about what the heck she was using. When I asked her, I found out that she was using Everyday Minerals in Winged Butter and she totally recommended that I try it out. There was nothing wrong with my IAR foundation, but I just hated the heaviness and oiliness of it throughout the day (for all you dry skinned ladies who like good coverage and a creamy foundation, Maybelline's IAR would be good for you...but I think they discontinued it. You can still find it on Ebay). I have combo skin, usually oiliness on my T-Zone. I first ordered the sample jars to find my perfect shade. EM has tons of shades to choose from, so I'm sure you'll be able to find yours too! I ended up choosing "Light" in "Semi-Matte" over "Winged Butter" because "Winged Butter" was a lot more yellow toned than my real skin color and because "Winged Butter" is sold in the glowy "Original Glo," it reflects a lot more light, which I sort of didn't like since I always use highlighter anyway. "Light" in "Semi-Matte" matches my skintone perfectly (yellowish-beige), doesn't make me break out at all, stays on all day, and makes me look AMAZING without the cakiness some other powder makeup gives me. It looks great with or without flash -- most importantly, it looks like my skin! It doesn't look like I have makeup on. I have started to use the Multi-tasking concealer underneath the foundation which is just as great in concealing dark undereye circles, pimples, redness, etc. Anyway, after applying the concealer, the foundation goes on like a dream! Oh so creamy and luxurious with EM's flat top brush. I love it so much and I'm so thankful that I found a good mineral makeup that won't harm my skin! I LOVE YOU EVERYDAY MINERALS!!!!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2011 4:58:00 PM More reviews by piecesofpurple

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm currently on Accutane, so my skin is super dry, which is the only reason I'm using this product. My skin is usually very oily and acne prone and EDM's foundations don't hold up well to oil at all and transfer like crazy. However, now that I have dry skin, EDM's foundations hold up quite well, but still transfer a bit (not nearly as bad as when my skin is oily). It's actually really interesting to see just how incredibly different a product is, depending on skin type and this is why I feel it's very important to read reviews mainly by people with the same skin type as your own. The product will literally be two completely different products on someone with oily skin vs dry.

So, for dry skinned ladies, I would recommend this particular formula. It provides enough luminosity to mimic natural skin's semi matte appearance. On combo or oily skin types, it'll look straight up glittery. Normal skin types can pull this off, but it will look quite dewy in pictures and in person (may be best as a winter foundation).

I've found that the shades are MUCH lighter in the Matte and Semi Matte formulas than they are in the Intensive. I'm Golden Fair in the Intensive and it's slightly too dark for my skin. The Matte formula is way too light in Golden Fair and the Semi Matte Formula is a good match. I find intensive to have medium coverage and semi matte is really the same coverage, just a different formula. I feel that Semi Matte looks more natural than the intensive because it seems to be more finely milled.

With this product, I feel no need to use a luminizer powder on top because it provides enough glow on it's own.

I apply this on top of Mychelle's cream foundation (which is very sheer) and it adheres to it very well, providing me with more coverage, which I really need because of my post acne scarring and current acne.

Overall, I'd recommend this for dry skin types, but others should probably stay away. For the life of me I can't figure out why BE and EDM are the most popular mineral brands out there because their products are really just average----at least in the foundation category for EDM. EDM takes products of their site with no warning (what happened to Intensive?? and the pressed version?) and changes formulas with little to no warning. They have a "News" section on their site, but they never post anything truly relevant! And 12 bucks for 5.5 grams of foundation is an average price. I do like the container, though. It's the best I've come across for a loose MMU.

It also doesn't help my acne and may be contributing to some of it. But, I don't have the nerve to go Makeup-less with my skin looking like this.

Overall, if you have relatively good skin with no oil issues, then this foundation will be great for you. But for the rest of us out there, it's average. I'm going to continue my search for my HG product.