Alpha Hydrox AHA Souffle 12 percent Glycolic AHA

4.1

Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Stearic Acid, PEG 40 Stearate, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Polysorbate 60, Steareth 2, Hydrolyzed Lupine Protein (Peptides), Green Tea Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Xanthan Gum, PVM/MA Decadene Crosspolymer, Imidazolidinyl Urea, BHT

on 3/6/2012 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I've been using this product for several weeks now. During the first week or so, I did have some very minor breakouts - just a few whiteheads here and there. After the first week my skin fully cleared up and is looking the best it has in a while. I can't say that I see a dramatic difference but I do feel like the texture and tone of my skin has improved. I will continue to use this.

I apply this at night after I've cleansed my face. After the AHA has soaked into my skin, I apply a nighttime moisturizer.

on 2/18/2012 5:42:00 PM

~3.5 stars
Toward the end of last semester, my skin was not in a very good condition. I read a lot of positive reviews about this product and it seemed like it would do everything I needed: fade acne scars, brighten complexion, correct uneven skin tone, improve texture, etc. I've been using this product for almost 2 months, so long enough for it to have an effect. I have noticed some subtle changes in my skin but it did not really do what I hoped for. Nevertheless, I'm willing to give it a good rating largely for one reason---it's gotten rid of all my acne.
Before I started using it, I think had mild to moderate acne, nothing too problematic: 1-2 pimples per week that disappeared relatively quickly, but I often got cysts during my period that took longer to heal and usually left scars that last forever. After I started using this product, (after the initial 'purging'), though, I've hardly gotten any acne---definitely no cystic acne.
Also, I think it has brightened my skin somewhat. My skin looks a bit paler and not as dull, but it's not a dramatic change.
On the other hand, I bought the product primarily to fade my acne scars and even out my skin tone. (I have some discoloration around my lips, a bit of hyperpigmentation from acne scars and pitted scars). Unfortunately, I haven't seen any improvements in these areas in spite of 8 weeks' worth of conscientious daily application. Oddly enough, though, I have this sort of shallow scar on my forehead from early childhood (apparently due a cat scratch), and it seems to be getting less noticeable. Of course, this might just be wishful thinking.

To offer my own experience on some of the things other reviewers have commented on:
-I have a slightly oily t-zone so the product felt a bit heavy upon initial application, but it absorbed pretty quickly for me and my skin is no oilier than usual.
-I never experienced any stinging, but I don't have sensitive skin.
-Purging: I didn't notice much change at first. I was expecting my skin to purge, but nothing happened for the first week. I tried using more product, and for the subsequent two weeks or so, I started getting more whiteheads, often in places where I don't normally get any acne (cheeks, chin). After that, they disappeared, and no change (for the worse).

tl;dr summary
Pros:
1) completely acne free! :D
2) brightens skin
3) no adverse reactions (purging/stinging/hypersensitivity/etc.)
Cons:
1) did not [noticeably] fade acne scars or pitted acne scars
2) did not [noticeably] correct discoloration
3) no change in skin texture/evenness
4) kind of expensive? (I am a cheap person...)

on 2/12/2012 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I can never never thank enough AHA Souffle 12%. This is the product which freed me years of matured acne. I used to have major acne problems then i read reviews of this product on drugstore.com and decided to give it a go. in the past i had used so many products which didn't work at all even my dermatologist couldn't do anything it was that bad. it's the best product out there for people who have acne/pimple problem. When i started to use this it did sting me a little but it went away after few days. In first few weeks it's going to break you out like crazy but don't get scared as it means that it's working. it's gonna bring everything to surface first and then start cleaning it. For me, it not just cleared my acne but after regular use i don't have acne anymore. i used it for 2-3 years constantly and it solved my acne problem. now i have stopped using it and still don't get any acne after months. I love this product with all my heart. I did what expensive products couldn't do for me! I love it!

Just want to add one thing that it cleared out my acne in few months i just used it for years because i loved it and my made my skin to glow.

on 1/13/2012 1:53:00 PM

This is a great exfoliant. It does sting and it can cause a chemical burn (I can't put it on parts of my neck, it causes a burn that looks and feels like a sunburn). But this stuff really makes your skin smooth and glowy after use. I may try a different product in the line to avoid the burning.

on 1/11/2012 1:19:00 PM

I have been using the 10% lotion for a while and absolutely love it. I decided to try the souffle to see if I can get an even better result since the percentage of AHA is higher. I am sad to report that I do not like it as much. And the worst part is that I think it is breaking me out!!! Not cool. At first I thought it was something else, but every single time I would use this, I would wake up with a few pimples on my face. This does not happen with the 10% lotion. Will not be buying again.

on 12/25/2011 11:04:00 PM

This seems to be an effective cream, but I much prefer the Enhanced Cream over this one because it is less rich, and for my oily skin, I need something relatively light. This is probably a product more suited for dry or more mature skin, and since mine seems to be so very oily,I can't consistently use this without feeling like it is far too heavy.

on 12/19/2011 11:14:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

My skin definitely looks much better when i use this continuously. When i stop, my skin is much duller. I do not have much of a problem with acne, so i cannot comment on that, but when i use this continuously my skin just has a brighter look to it. To be honest though, honey masks, when i use them regularly do just about the same for my complexion.
I bought this from drugstore.com, but you can always just get honey from your cupboard :)

on 12/19/2011 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Love. Been using this on and off for years and keep coming back. It stings a little when you try it for the first time, but the sensation disappears with regular use.

It made a tremendous difference. I had been looking worn out for a year or two because of an illness when I started using this product. It tightened my pores, smoothed out the dark spots on my face and made me look awake. My complexion brightened and I looked younger.

on 12/13/2011 2:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I really like this product. I find that it makes my skin really smooth and helps to clear away blackheads. It's very strong, so it can sting and may cause drying of the skin. I'd recommend using this was a good moisturizer with spf.

EDIT:

I reviewed this product years ago, and I have been using it on and off since then. Recently, I had some terrible acne breakouts on both cheeks, something that I'm definitely not used to. I tried all the old acne products I used to turn to as a teen, but those just seemed to irritate my skin more. I started using this product again and, 4 days later, the breakouts have healed! I am amazed!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have waited until I reached the bottom of the jar before writing a review on this product. I have used the 12% souffle every night for approximately 2 1/2 months. I am 37, with combination skin and an oily t-zone, fine lines, sun damage, and large pores.

Two things to know about this product:
#1: YES, it stings. For about five minutes after you apply it, it STINGS. Even after using it for over two months, it still stings. However, after a few minutes the stinging subsides and all is well.
#2: YES, you may purge. I spent about two weeks looking like a pimply faced teenager before my skin started clearing back up. Pimples, cysts, you name it- It happened. I started purging about a week after using it.

Would I repurchase? YES..in fact, I have ordered more of the souffle and additional products in the Alpha Hydrox line. I am now able to wear only a light powder instead of liquid foundation. Previously I always had to use a full coverage foundation to hide my flaws. Clear skin, smoother forehead lines, and smaller pores are the results of this product in my experience. I wish I had found it sooner.

Popular Treatments (Face)