Philosophy Vanilla Birthday Cake 3-in-1

2.9

water (aqua), tea-lauryl sulfate, ppg-2 hydroxyethyl cocamide, cocamidopropyl betaine, glycol stearate, glycerin, sodium chloride, disodium laureth sulfosuccinate, fragrance (parfum), peg-150 distearate, tocopheryl acetate, polyquaternium-7, glyceryl acrylate/acrylic acid copolymer, propylene glycol, sodium benzotriazolyl butylphenol sulfonate, buteth-3, tributyl citrate, citric acid, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, yellow 5 (ci 19140), red 40 (ci 16035).

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I got the free 6oz. birthday gift from Sephora. I agree with some of the other reviewers that it doesn't smell like birthday cake, or even a really true vanilla (at least to my nose!). However, it doesn't smell terrible. I actually used it on my hair and it worked just fine (I have naturally curly hair). As far as my skin is concerned it's a little drying. Not bad for a free product but I wouldn't pay for it.

I was pleasantly surprised by the scent (this is coming from a vanilla-hater). In fact, I was somewhat dreading using this because of the scent description but I feel I shouldn't waste things even if it was free for my birthday from Sephora (6 oz). Anyway, the scent is very mildly food-y, not offensive at all. Totally tolerable, so yay.

The formula though seems to leave my skin sticky (after alot of rinsing) yet squeaky? It's hard to explain. I try to use shower creams instead since I thought all shower gels were pretty much the same in their drying effect, but this one somehow combines drying with stickiness. I was planning to buy Eternal Grace after I used up this sample since I like streamlining products (3-in-1) but this has given me pause.

Anyway, it was free, so ...

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Like most here, I got this from Sephora for my birthday gift this year.
And like most here, I agree, the smell is very artificial and plastic-like! I've never tried any of Philosophy's other bath products, but with SO many neat-sounding scents, I was excited and thought I was in for a real treat of a scent experience. This smells like the cheapest artificial "vanilla" scent I can think of.
The texture is nice, it lathers well, and the bottle is cute and functional (and great size for taking on trips - which I just did), but that's about it. It doesn't leave my skin feeling dry, but not a lot of body washes DO these days. It's nice to use for shaving, but I really do wish the scent was...more luxurious, interesting, complex, and not so artificial and plasticy.
I still think it's a cute Sephora birthday gift, and I still use it, but unfortunately, this doesn't make me want to further explore Philosophy's line, and I would not purchase this.
(I have color-treated hair and did not care to venture to use this as a shampoo - I'm far too picky with my hair.)

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Smells like plastic. Really sharp, artificial smell under the sad attempt at vanilla.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I also received this as the Sephora birthday gift. What an awful product. Everything about it sucks. Do not use this as shampoo. It smells like a chemical factory with a hint of rotting vanilla. Does not even make for a good bath gel. Overall, a totally ewwy product.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

i got this as a free birthday present. I only use it as a shower gel and its ok. washes away well, and smells good. great for winter. I will rather this as a 3.5

I am not a big fan of this scent it is like vanilla plastic. It cleans well and lathers nicely. I just couldn't get over the scent. It is not strong and overpowering but, just not a great scent or what I expected when I read Vanilla Birthday Cake.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

got a free sample from sephora. it smells so-so, its okay as a body wash and im sure its a nice bubble bath(but then again pretty much any shower gel can be a bubble bath, in my experience) but it is a TERRIBLE shampoo. it somehow made my hair dry and tangled, yet greasy. i had to deep condition it TWICE just to get my hair to feel normal again. so, to recap, basically its a 2-in-1, since its the worst shampoo ive ever tried, and since most shower gels will make bubbles in a bath, its pretty much just a 1-in-1, and not such a moisturizing or great smelling one at that. i feel bad because it was free, and it's a little stupid to critique free samples, but on the off chance i can spare someone else a terrible hair day, i will repeat-(without lathering or rinsing)- DO NOT USE YOUR FREE SEPHORA BIRTHDAY PRESENT AS A SHAMPOO!!

I received a deluxe size sample of this from Sephora and loved it! The smell, the lather oh my! I personally wouldn't use it as hair shampoo but I guess it'll do if your in a jam. Great shower gel!

I received this as a birthday gift from Sephora, but normally it is $16.
Pros? It cleans well. That's it.

The scent is absolutely awful. There's no vanilla, cake, or vanilla cake in it. It's just a pure plastic scent. It smells this way both in the bottle and while being used.
If only it smelled nice. Then it would be great.

The bottle is the usual Philosophy bottle. No problems there. I just cannot get past the plastic scent.