October 1, 2014 | 1789 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Dolce Vita

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2008 9:46:00 PM More reviews by Gracious_Lady

Upon the first spray, I thought "yuck". It started out "brassy" on me and it smelled ever so slightly like burning cigarette. However, a very short time after the first spritz, Dolce Vita really showcased it's wonderful notes. Very nicely done. I just wished it's initial notes worked better with my chemistry. Advertised Notes: TOP note : Bergamot, Peach, Cardamom, Grapefruit, MIDDLE note : Magnolia, Rosewood, Lily, Cinnamom, BASE note : Cedarwood, Sandal, Vanilla, Castoreum

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2007 6:16:00 PM More reviews by Rvoge64

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is another one of my favorite, love this stuff have been wearing it for over 10 years. Love the mix of vanilla with sandalwood, its very feminine. I will continue to wear it for the years to come.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2007 2:33:00 PM More reviews by sunshine824

I bought a sample of the Dolce Vita EDT because I've read that it was a chypre and I've been really enjoying most chypres these days.

When I first put it on it seems somewhat sweet but very soapy. I was surprised because that isn't what I was expecting. The soapiness passed and then it just settled into a slightly sweet, VERY woody fragrance.

I don't get "old lady" and it isn't very sweet. It's probably the most genuinely "woody" scents I've ever smelled. It's lovely for this time of year - autumn. It seems like it would be especially complementary when the leaves turn to vibrant reds & oranges and begin to fall off of the trees.

I may keep a bottle of this just to wear it during the fall.
Edited to add: If your skin intensifies vanilla like mine does, beware! You will eventually end up smelling like candied wood. Yes. You read right: Candied. Wood. But it still smells good. :-P

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2007 10:15:00 AM More reviews by lareine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I found a 7.5ml spray refill of this in the pure perfume at a well known discount store, for only 14. I had never smelt it before, but at that price for parfum I wasn't going to pass it up.

My initial impressions were, "Ick! Old lady!", but I know enough about perfume to know that it has to be worn to bring out the true scent, so I duly sprayed some on and waited to see what happened. I am so glad that I gave it a chance, because the drydown is lovely.

The initial blast of sandalwood and spice quickly mellows to a warm, vanilla-and-spice, slightly floral and utterly addictive scent. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. This one will be perfect for autumn wear, when the days are getting colder and the nights draw in earlier every day.

I have not tried other formulations, so I don't know how they wear or dry down, but I am very very happy with the parfum.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2007 12:51:00 AM More reviews by magicalmoongoddess

Dolce Vita to me is an exotic, spicy and woody fragrance and I get strong spice and sandalwood notes - quite unlike any other fragrance I can think of. The sandalwood note is divine! Whilst I wouldn't call it an "old woman's perfume" I can definitely imagine some siren from the 1940's wearing this, although in my opinion it's glamourous and definitely not outdated - glamour is timeless! This is certainly a fragrance to get you noticed though and not recommended for shrinking violets!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2007 10:06:00 AM More reviews by slok87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

You know when you enter an Indian restaurant and your nose is hit with a blast of cardamom and curry and spices? That's what I thought of when I dabbed this on. And of medicinal ointments. And I sort of liked it but wasn't sure how long I would be able to endure it; luckily, things died down (a bit). I like this; I wouldn't mind smelling it on someone else all day and if I received this as a gift I would wear it, but I won't be seeking more of this stuff out. I think it's unusual and I like that, but it just doesn't rock my socks.

EDIT: I have no idea what happened but I love this now; it has made its way into my top-loved fragrances. (A discretion that seems to happen between dabbed samples and spray bottles). Everything still holds except that I don't smell anything medicinal and it has a bit of a sweet quality to it (not a foody, sugary or floral sweetness, but a spicy-sweetness). I think this is quite unique. I didn't plan what fragrance I would wear on my wedding day (in January), but when I woke up, this is what I was drawn to wear.

Top Notes: Rose, Magnolia, Muguet; Middle Notes: Apricot, Peach, Cinnamon; Base Notes: Sandalwood, Vanilla, Heliotrope,

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2007 11:27:00 AM More reviews by dictatorprincess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The love I have for its sister, Eau de Dolce Vita, and for grandma perfumes in general, does not translate to Dolce Vita all the time. Please no hate mail, as I consider my own personal taste in perfume to be "grandma."

For those of you who are wondering, Dolce Vita and Eau de Dolce Vita are about as different as Cristalle EDP and Cristalle EDT- truly two different perfumes.

This perfume is not as ubiquitous as other Dior perfumes in the states, but it is definitely easier to find than its sister Eau de Dolce Vita. Most Duty Frees also have this perfume, and larger stores with actual Dior counters definitely still carry it as of the writing of this review.

This is a cute, inoffensive perfume, but I don't love it as much as I love Diorella-decidely more grandma- or Eau de Dolce Vita. This is too cloying for summer and too weak for winter. There is a definite peach note, and a powdery drydown which lacks the sharpness of Eau de Dolce Vita. I find I can only wear this two months out of a year depending on weather, as in the winter I like to wear stronger perfumes (cf Samsara). I won't buy again as I will save my cash for another bottle of Diorella, but this is by no means a bad fragrance. Just too bland for me. I think this could be a signature scent for someone, the real test would be pulling it off in the summer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2007 9:57:00 AM More reviews by greenreed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

LOVE the bottle. I have been considering Hypnotic Poison for years, but decided to get this right away. To me the juice is like Hypnotic Poison without the Paydoh note. This is smoother and less irritating to me. I get the vanilla and peach, but I do not smell the 80's at all. Maybe there are different batches or something because this is nothing like some of what the reviews say.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/14/2007 5:08:00 PM More reviews by magnificent

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

DOLCE VITA sounds wonderful. But the fragrance is not what I expected. The head notes smell beautiful - but the drydown is not sexy enough for my nose. I miss some erotic ingredients. Spice? Vanilla? The drydown is too simple - I miss complexity. So this fragrance is not me at all. Bottle design is cute and well rounded. Better than the juice...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2007 8:22:00 AM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

this is the only perfume that has carried over from my youth to my adulthood. I bought my first bottle of this when I was 14/15 and am now 25. I don't wear it often (usually I sticl to either NR 'for her' EDT or Stelle McCartney 'rose absolute'), but it's one of the few other perfumes I do wear. to me it's a very comfroting, but still sophisticated scent. it doesn't smell the least bit old-layish to my nose either. the funny thing is though that despite seeing that in a lot of reviews the people who I do know how wear/like this scent cover a wide age range, and it works perfectly well for all of us.