Clinique Aromatics Elixir

3.0

Absolutely skunkish. Will coat your throat and your sinuses and make you gag until you can get it off your skin. Run far, far away.

This is a love it or hate it. It is incredibly strong and to be used VERY sparingly, it can be quite off putting right off the bat, but my favorite method of application is to spray it (not on the skin) then dab what is left on the nozzle on my wrist....seriously that is plenty for ALL DAY. But, it is unique, woody, herbal, and one that you absolutely will not find just everyone wearing.

Churchy and Repulsive. People around you, will HATE you!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

Extremely nauseating perfume. I can't stand this smell as it gives me a headache. Too strong and overpowering.

I can absolutely see that this has strength and character and may be too heavy for many but I adore it and have done ever since I first encountered it in the late eighties. It is beautiful and unique in my opinion. I do have a soft spot for 70s perfumes but this is different to the more popular ones of the time. Every single time I wear it complete strangers ask what it is. Different, beautiful and original a gorgeous, fresh oriental with attitude. Go on, you know you want to. Don't be out off by the people who scoff, usually put off by first reactions. Out it in, live with it and see what response you get.

I really enjoy this fragrance once it warms up on my skin. BUT I must caution as others have, a DAB WILL DO YA! Literally I barely press the sprayer down on my wrist and I am good for the day. It lingers, I feel sexy and sophisticated. But I can see how it can go terribly wrong on some people, especially if you over do it, you could kill a small town with more then a spray! Go easy !!!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

If I were stranded anywhere and could only have one fragrance, THIS IS THE ONE!! AE is the serious holy grail of all of the fragrances that I have (and I have a shocking lot). It is not for the meek, timid, shy gal. It is a full-on, sex in a bottle deal. You either love it or hate it...no in betweens. Strong chypre that can compete with any fragrance of any price (french included). Goes on strong, but dries down to a soft, sensual, even spiritual experience. Patchouli, sandalwood and vetiver make for a dangerous concoction that will have men following you around in a stupor. AE is an absolutely brilliant, complex fragrance. Very unlike mainstream floral, candy-sweet fragrances on the market nowadays, it is a stand-alone, distinct goddess all its own. Love the body smoother as well because of the concentrated fragrance and feels very smooth and silky once applied. The price of AE is also fabulous. If Clinique ever discontinues this...OMG...perish the thought!!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

A very beautiful, deep and timeless fragrance, one of the very few that is rated five stars on perfume blogs and included in the list of 100 fragrances that influenced the perfume world, a gorgeus creation and definitely a classic. It is not a light fragrance for sure and one has to be careful when applying it, however, I do not see that as a disadvantage since it a small bottle lasts a very long time this way and the price is very reasonable. It is a must have in every perfume lover's wardrobe. I actually prefer the LE in the gorgeus bottle that came out for the 2011 holiday season and will post a longer review separately under that name. Today fragrances are almost never created with that beautiful deep and warm resinous base that warms your heart and lift your senses in cold weather, hopefully this will never be discontinued and the fact that it has stood strong for 40 years says a lot about quality.

This is one super strong fragrance, in particular the ingredients. After trying a light spray on pulse points of arms for two days, I was shocked when I broke out in a horrible rash (that is taking ages to clear up). I love strong woody/floral orientals and I've tried many with no problems, but have never experienced an allergic reaction to any fragrance as this one. I quite liked the scent of the fragrance but unfortunately it didn't like me.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is an absolutely fascinating scent. It has taken me more concerted sniffing and repeated tries to "get" it than any other mall-available perfume I have tried, and I love that. Its complexity rivals some of the tiny niche company scents I've been sampling and it's astounding to me that it costs what it does and that anyone can just go to Macy's and pick up a bottle. I won't say that I'm shocked more people don't do just that, because I'm aware that not everyone likes their perfume to puzzle and challenge them, but if you like odd and complex scents you shouldn't miss this one.

Popular Fragrances