July 24, 2014 | 1661 users online

Self Tanners - Banana Boat - Sunless Tanning Creme - Deep Dark

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2010 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Makeupismyaddiction

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is so inexpensive and it works great.. naturally looking tan in a short amount of time. Only con is I dont think its that moisturizing.. if you arent an expert at applying self tanner then this will leave streaks. Everytime I use this self tanner I mix it with my after tan moisturizer and it blends it better! Work the effort and price :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2010 6:29:00 PM More reviews by lilipal

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G...!!! This is really the best self-tanner I've ever used. I went ahead and got the "Deep Dark" shade even though I am not that tan. I was scared it was going to turn me orange, but instead it looks like I have been in the sun for days!!! I have been getting so many compliments on how tan I look. I have tried so many others, and this is simply the best. And on top of it all, its so cheap!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2010 6:15:00 PM More reviews by lulabellabeauty

Ok so I am def. a self tanning junkie and have tried so many over the years from drugstore to high end types that celebrities swear by (st tropez, fake bake, and currently my fave xen tan) Now this is def. one of the best out there, esp. for the price!!!! I like that it looks very natural, no streaking, and doesn't wear off patchy. It gives me a nice golden brown color. Im considering switching back to this because of how pricey xen tan is. :( That stuff truly has the best color of any self tanner ever created!! I can keep layering it on without ever looking bad and fake! And Im pale as a ghost!! So my only drawback to the banana boat it that too many applications and it can look orange. I also found that pretty much with any self tanner, if the outside weather has an overcast, it will look a bit obvious and slightly orange (only very slightly so don't get scared). It's the only lighting though that Ive experienced any "questionable color" (mostly to me though) , even with my xen tan. Like I said, Im a true self tanning junkie and notice every little detail about self tanners. Other than that, I highly recommend this self tanner and for only $6 at walmart, you def. can't go wrong!! My self tanning tips: ALWAYS exfoliate. Don't moisturize before a self tanner! Some of the ingredients could cause the self tanner to go orange! It's why not all self tanners are created equally! Wash off between applications, use very carefully around hands and feet, elbows and knees (try using a spray formula or a cotton ball or makeup sponge to apply to these areas) also do use a cream or lotion on the knees, elbows, knuckles to avoid to much self tanner absorbing into these areas ( but only use cream on these areas not the whole body!). The hands and feet can be a dead give away to a self tan so be extra careful so know body knows you have a fake bake! Also, I personally prefer to use self tanner on my face as well (not a "face tanner" since they are too light and after you wash your face, most of it is gone!) just wash your face after and your left with a nice color and glow without it being too dark and again, a give away to a fake tan! Remember behind your ears too! Also, what I like to do to is apply a self tanner heavier on areas that naturally would get darker (like on the shoulders, top of arms) to also really get the most believable fake tan ever! Make sure you moisturize while the self tanner is fading (to help it fade naturally) and exfoliate after about three days(again to help with natural fading) Also, use gloves! This avoids any staining that typically will happen no matter how much you wash your hands (unless you use bleach, which i DO NOT recommend for obvious reasons!) I use vinyl gloves (can be bought at walmart in the same aisle as the contact lens stuff) not latex since latex "grabs" the self tanner and can make it harder to rub the self tanner in. This may sound like a lot to you newbies, but if you really want to look tanned (without the damaging that real tanning causes!!) this is totally worth it! I am naturally extremely white (no one believes me since they always see me with my self tanner on and no one ever believes me that its because of my self tanner than I'm tan! I swear on everything I love! ) But if you feel that with one application it is too dark, just simply wash off, and you should be left with subtle and believable color! I hope these tips help anyone out there avoid tanning beds and the sun (tanning beds are actually much more dangerous then the sun because of the different combination of rays and is causing melanoma for many women!!(even young teenage girls!!!!) Many health insurance companies are now listing tanning beds on their history applications for new patients due to the high risk of skin cancer!! please be smart ladies!! Im willing to bet my life on it that one day, tanning beds are going to be illegal in some states and def. illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to use since using tanning beds before the age of 30 increases the chance for melanoma by 75%!! scary!)

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2010 10:27:00 AM More reviews by meredithdepuydt

This product is great! It gives a very natural tanned look, the way your skin would look if you had been tanning in the real sun and does NOT smell offensive. I had been searching for quite some time for a self-tanner that did not reek of that "self-tanner smell" (you know the smell I'm talking about!). This product is actually rather pleasant smelling, IMO. Another plus of this self-tanner is that you can really control how dark you want to go. If you want a very subtle tan, just apply it once or twice a week, if you would like to go darker, apply it more frequently. There also was zero streaking. I really think this product is impossible to mess up! I would HIGHLY recommend this self-tanner to EVERYONE! It's reassuring to be able to find such a high quality self-tanner, at such a low cost, and also, such a healthy alternative to baking your precious skin in the sun or a tanning bed!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2010 12:23:00 AM More reviews by Tbelle83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Bought this product after reading review on MA. I naturally have a medium complexion so I wasn't concerned about this tanner being too dark. In fact I think I may need two applications to achieve the color I want. It's a believable tan too, I don't notice any orange tint. Odor is not terrible like Jergens. Dried a little sticky to the touch but did not seem to rub off on my clothes. I exfoliated and moisturized prior to application, rubbing in in a circular motion and didn't get streaks. Consistency is not runny and the tube works for the product, nothing fancy but it works. I bought it at walmart for around 6 dollars. Overall I will def. be buying this product again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2010 11:00:00 PM More reviews by joannaptown

So I hardly ever write reviews but I feel I had to on this self tanner. I have to say that if you are wanting to look like you just got back from the beach, this is the stuff. After one application I was quite dark even on my somewhat pale skin. I even had to wear a darker foundation after one application. Surprisingly the smell isn't that bad. There are alot of other self tanners out there that smell way worse. The downside of this lotion, for me, is the application for my feet and hands. Because it is so dark, without careful application, your feet and hands will look super odd. The first time I used it I looked like I had tan sleeves. lol Also wash your hands half way through application. This prevented orange fingers. Overall the color is great and streak free. I will continue to use this product very carefully though.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2010 2:25:00 PM More reviews by marildu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

Waaay too dark for my skin tone. It looked very orange and did streak some. Hopefully I'll have more luck with the Light/Medium shade.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2010 2:05:00 AM More reviews by laurapeper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Check out the Jimmy CoCo review on Beauty Undercover for sunless tans!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2010 1:20:00 AM More reviews by Syrie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've used every self tanner to come across the market in the last 20 years that they've been around. I mean every one, Clarins, EL, Clinique, L'Oreal, Hawaiian Tropic, Jergens, etc. Previously, L'oreal sublime had been my favorite. Until I tried this Banana Boat.

The color is AWESOME. It's not orange, and it's not sparkly. It doesn't sting my skin or appear to have a bunch of silicone in it, which totally irritates my skin and clogs my pores. The color is like a real tan--brown, not orange, not orangey-brown. But, and I must emphasize this greatly--this "deep dark "is indeed like a medium to dark tan on medium skin. It's not for the PPP. For that, I would consult L'Oreal Sublime for Fair tones.

The consistency of the cream is somewhat...thick and tacky, I guess. I would prefer that it were somewhat thinner and more moisturizing, but this is a true ST not a moisturizer. If you have super, super dry skin you might want to moisturize first. I use it on my face, but be forewarned there too--it's tinted, so that color will sit (like any tinted ST) in every pore on your face. I would ignore that, exfoliate the face a little bit, and moisturize. It doesn't cause zits, it's just the bronzer part of it settling into pores.

Awesome, and so cheap. I get it at the dreaded "Evil Empire" (Walmart) for about $8, i think. Took a packaging lippie off for the cap, which clogs.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2010 1:58:00 PM More reviews by briii

this is the only self tanner i will use. its a great product. it doesnt leave my skin orange and streaky (well if i apply it correctly) like all the other ones ive used do. i can only find it at walmart, nowhere else. hmm. but it doesnt bother me cuz this is on my must have list :)