Banana Boat Sunless Tanning Creme - Deep Dark

4.1

Water, Dihydroxyacetone, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Propylene Glycol, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Petrolatum, VP Dimethiconylacrylate Polycarbamyl Polyglycol Ester, Caramel, Aloe (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Stearic Acid, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), PEG 7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Dimethicone, Steareth 20, Steareth 2, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Lawsonia Inermis Extract (Henna)

on 5/9/2011 11:03:00 AM

I really like this product. I used it for the first time last night and it blends really well and gives a nice golden color that is not orange. I do have a few spots where i did not rub it in well that streaked but it is my first time applying self tanner in years.

on 5/4/2011 10:06:00 PM

I know products work differently on different skin, especially self tanners since they change the color of your skin. I have always longed for a nice olive skin tone but alas I got my mothers irish genes. I am very very fair skined with cool undertones so this review may only be helpful to those who have very fair skin like myself.
First of all I want to say I have tried almost every self tanner out there. Neutrogena, Clarins, Bath and Body works, Loreal, Xen tan, Lancome, Jergens, and the list goes on. Drugstore and Department brands alike. This self tanner is my 2nd favorite ever.
The color is rich and the first drugstore tanner that didn't turn my fair skin orange. It is not too dark, not too light and fades pretty well as long as you moisturize every day after you use this product. The consistancy is creamy like a whipped pudding and there is suppose to be a color guide but it is a little hard to see where you are applying it. As long as you apply this right you will get an even beautiful tan for a very inexpensive price. I would put the quality of this product up with xen tan! The only reason I gave it a four is because my skin is pretty sensitive and it may be breaking me out. Not horrible or anything but I have noticed a few small pimples more than I usually get. This may not be an issue for everyone though so I still recommend people at last try it.
I do have some advice for self tanner newbies on the application of this product. 1.) exfoliate and shave one day before you apply the tanner. Some exfoliators haves oils in them that don't rinse off well and mess up the tan. 2.) When you are ready there is no need for gloves. It is easier to apply without them and gloves can cause streaking. 3.) Mix some of the self tanner with a bit of unscented lotion such as cetaphyl. This will make the consistancy more creamier and easier to apply so you can avoid streaking. Don't use too much body lotion or it will dillute the product. 4.) Start from your legs and feet and move up wards. If you start from the top down your stomach will make lines. Run the tanner/lotion mixture in circular motions on one part of the body at a time til the tanner is completley rubbed in and no longer sitting on the skin. 5.) After you have done your body wash your hands with bar soap. Bar soap is more concentrated than liquid and will remove orange palms. 6.) After you wash your hands do the tops of your hands last using only a small amount of tanner/lotion mix using a cotton ball or makeup sponge to apply it and don't be afraid to get some in your knuckles and in between your fingers. 7.) Lastly and most importantly to avoid those tell tale signs you have been tanning on your hands wrists feet and anlkles, use a cotton ball or makeup sponge and put body lotion (like cetaphyl) on it. Swipe it softly across your wrists knuckes toes and ankels. Using the lotion alone in these spots removes the excess tanner that gets into the lines and streaks in those areas. Viola no tell tale signs and the perfect tan. Keep the tan longer and make it fade evenly by using a body lotion every day! Good luck!

I have waited a long time for the quality of self-tanners to improve since they first came out. After reading countless reviews, I decided to try this one out. I was pleasantly surprised. I really like the caramel-y color the deep dark gives. Though there definitely is a technique to applying this. Be sure to deep moisturize well before applying. Wear gloves so your hands don't turn orange. Avoid using too much on elbows, knees, ankles, and hands. When reapplying, do so sparingly. I find that my 2nd and 3rd applications end up a little splotchy in some areas after a few days. It takes practice. And the smell, though not entirely unpleasant, lingers for a while. That being said, it's worth the effort if done correctly.

on 9/7/2010 9:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love this self tanner! I've tried a couple brands (Jergens, Neutrogena, Loreal) and this is the best drug store brand out there. The most important thing to me is color... The other brands are too yellow/orange on the skin ( I am Hawaiian and Asian, so I get TAN), but the color Banana Boat gives you is awesome! It's just a pure bronze/brown color. Granted, it doesn't have a fragrant smell like the other brands, but all bronzers end up smelling stinky after they kick in. I just use it at night before bed, shower in the morning, and the color lasts all week!

on 7/23/2010 8:24:00 PM

At first glance this seemed a decent self-tanner. It provided a fair amount of color after a couple of applications - sure, I didn't get the "deep dark" tan, but I wasn't expecting to. It was also easy to apply (the consistency seemed like whipped mud, if you can wrap your head around that idea). And once it was on my skin it pretty much absorbed (it didn't leave a greasy or plasticky coating). Oh - and it cost a couple of dollars less than the average bottle.

The big deal-breaker I had with this self-tanner was that it smelled like a Citronella candle. I couldn't stand to be around myself or even smell the clothing I wore after applying it. After trying this one (and a slew of others from Neutrogena to L'Oreal) I was about to give up on self-tanners and spend the rest of my life as pasty white mess. However, I gave it one more go and tried Hawaiian Tropic and I couldn't be happier. Save yourself the hassle and try Hawaiian Tropic: no smell, lots of color (that lasts!) and very, very quick and easy application.

on 7/20/2010 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have used a TON of self tanners and so far this one is THE BEST! I cannot believe how cheap it is either. Before this, I thought the Coppertone Gradual Tan was the best, and it is great, but I find the Banana Boat has less of the self tanner smell and gives me color after only one application. Coppertone I would usually have to apply two or three times to achieve my desired color. I also think the Banana Boat lasts longer because I only need to apply it once or twice a week.

I do have to say that if you're pretty fair, you probably would not want to use the deep dark. I'm half asian so my skin is olivey/yellow and I tan very easily and this gives me such a natural looking tan! I'm from Honolulu, so I used to get tan just from walking around, but since I had to move to Kansas with my husband I don't really get the opportunity to do that and it is way too hot here in the summer anyway. I feel my tan with this cream is just as good as my natural tan looked and probably a little more even. It has a tint so you can see where you've applied it which makes application that much easier.

I don't have a problem with this streaking nor do I need to exfoliate before I use this, but I use one of those japanese washcloths everyday to shower so that might be why. I apply this with circular motions to prevent streaking and just wash my hands with soap immediately after applying to avoid tan hands. Also, if you are applying this in humid as hell weather like I am, you probably want to stand in front of the fan for a few minutes after applying to dry it faster. It dries pretty quick (even if it feels a little moist it may be dry) and I haven't had it transfer to my clothes yet. Then in the evening when I shower before bed, the moisturizer feel will be washed off and what little self tanner smell there is will wash right off. You could even rinse of several hours after applying too and you won't have to worry about it transferring or any smell if you want. You will just be left with a beautiful tan ;)

I have also used this on my face and it seems to work fabulously and does not break out my sensitive skin. If I want to keep my face tan I have to apply this more often than I would to my body though because self tanner never lasts on my face.

on 7/10/2010 10:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I really like this product! I haven't tried that many self tanners (Jergens was the last) and was hesitant since I didn't want to look orange. I showered, exfoliated w/ sugar scrub that left my skin moisturized, then applied this w/ gloves. It looked like a golden, sun-kissed tan in the morning, it looked so natural.....I compared it others who do it the old-fashion way! I did do another application the next night for an even darker tan, it was even more gorgeous! I left it at that since it was as dark as I wanted to be! I'm giving it 4 because while it does look fantastic on the body if applied correctly, I did not like the way it looked on my face.....I used Sally Hansen's Airbrush Sun-Especially for Body since they don't sell Face around here. It slowly fades away and does not look bad at all. It lasts around 4 days. I will definitly be repurchasing this product because of how it look looks on me, the ease of use, and the price!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Compared to Sun Labs self tanner this stuff honestly feels gross on my skin! It's sticky and smells flowery. It gives great color but since it's sticky it's hard to rub in to keep ur tan even. I wouldn't repurchase it. I have to mix it with my body lotion just to apply it.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

This is so inexpensive and it works great.. naturally looking tan in a short amount of time. Only con is I dont think its that moisturizing.. if you arent an expert at applying self tanner then this will leave streaks. Everytime I use this self tanner I mix it with my after tan moisturizer and it blends it better! Work the effort and price :)

on 5/17/2010 6:29:00 PM

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G...!!! This is really the best self-tanner I've ever used. I went ahead and got the "Deep Dark" shade even though I am not that tan. I was scared it was going to turn me orange, but instead it looks like I have been in the sun for days!!! I have been getting so many compliments on how tan I look. I have tried so many others, and this is simply the best. And on top of it all, its so cheap!

Top Rated Banana Boat Products