Banana Boat Sunless Tanning Creme - Deep Dark

4.1

Water, Dihydroxyacetone, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Propylene Glycol, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Petrolatum, VP Dimethiconylacrylate Polycarbamyl Polyglycol Ester, Caramel, Aloe (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Stearic Acid, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), PEG 7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Dimethicone, Steareth 20, Steareth 2, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Lawsonia Inermis Extract (Henna)

on 7/23/2010 8:24:00 PM

At first glance this seemed a decent self-tanner. It provided a fair amount of color after a couple of applications - sure, I didn't get the "deep dark" tan, but I wasn't expecting to. It was also easy to apply (the consistency seemed like whipped mud, if you can wrap your head around that idea). And once it was on my skin it pretty much absorbed (it didn't leave a greasy or plasticky coating). Oh - and it cost a couple of dollars less than the average bottle.

The big deal-breaker I had with this self-tanner was that it smelled like a Citronella candle. I couldn't stand to be around myself or even smell the clothing I wore after applying it. After trying this one (and a slew of others from Neutrogena to L'Oreal) I was about to give up on self-tanners and spend the rest of my life as pasty white mess. However, I gave it one more go and tried Hawaiian Tropic and I couldn't be happier. Save yourself the hassle and try Hawaiian Tropic: no smell, lots of color (that lasts!) and very, very quick and easy application.

on 7/20/2010 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have used a TON of self tanners and so far this one is THE BEST! I cannot believe how cheap it is either. Before this, I thought the Coppertone Gradual Tan was the best, and it is great, but I find the Banana Boat has less of the self tanner smell and gives me color after only one application. Coppertone I would usually have to apply two or three times to achieve my desired color. I also think the Banana Boat lasts longer because I only need to apply it once or twice a week.

I do have to say that if you're pretty fair, you probably would not want to use the deep dark. I'm half asian so my skin is olivey/yellow and I tan very easily and this gives me such a natural looking tan! I'm from Honolulu, so I used to get tan just from walking around, but since I had to move to Kansas with my husband I don't really get the opportunity to do that and it is way too hot here in the summer anyway. I feel my tan with this cream is just as good as my natural tan looked and probably a little more even. It has a tint so you can see where you've applied it which makes application that much easier.

I don't have a problem with this streaking nor do I need to exfoliate before I use this, but I use one of those japanese washcloths everyday to shower so that might be why. I apply this with circular motions to prevent streaking and just wash my hands with soap immediately after applying to avoid tan hands. Also, if you are applying this in humid as hell weather like I am, you probably want to stand in front of the fan for a few minutes after applying to dry it faster. It dries pretty quick (even if it feels a little moist it may be dry) and I haven't had it transfer to my clothes yet. Then in the evening when I shower before bed, the moisturizer feel will be washed off and what little self tanner smell there is will wash right off. You could even rinse of several hours after applying too and you won't have to worry about it transferring or any smell if you want. You will just be left with a beautiful tan ;)

I have also used this on my face and it seems to work fabulously and does not break out my sensitive skin. If I want to keep my face tan I have to apply this more often than I would to my body though because self tanner never lasts on my face.

on 7/10/2010 10:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I really like this product! I haven't tried that many self tanners (Jergens was the last) and was hesitant since I didn't want to look orange. I showered, exfoliated w/ sugar scrub that left my skin moisturized, then applied this w/ gloves. It looked like a golden, sun-kissed tan in the morning, it looked so natural.....I compared it others who do it the old-fashion way! I did do another application the next night for an even darker tan, it was even more gorgeous! I left it at that since it was as dark as I wanted to be! I'm giving it 4 because while it does look fantastic on the body if applied correctly, I did not like the way it looked on my face.....I used Sally Hansen's Airbrush Sun-Especially for Body since they don't sell Face around here. It slowly fades away and does not look bad at all. It lasts around 4 days. I will definitly be repurchasing this product because of how it look looks on me, the ease of use, and the price!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Compared to Sun Labs self tanner this stuff honestly feels gross on my skin! It's sticky and smells flowery. It gives great color but since it's sticky it's hard to rub in to keep ur tan even. I wouldn't repurchase it. I have to mix it with my body lotion just to apply it.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

This is so inexpensive and it works great.. naturally looking tan in a short amount of time. Only con is I dont think its that moisturizing.. if you arent an expert at applying self tanner then this will leave streaks. Everytime I use this self tanner I mix it with my after tan moisturizer and it blends it better! Work the effort and price :)

on 5/17/2010 6:29:00 PM

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G...!!! This is really the best self-tanner I've ever used. I went ahead and got the "Deep Dark" shade even though I am not that tan. I was scared it was going to turn me orange, but instead it looks like I have been in the sun for days!!! I have been getting so many compliments on how tan I look. I have tried so many others, and this is simply the best. And on top of it all, its so cheap!

Ok so I am def. a self tanning junkie and have tried so many over the years from drugstore to high end types that celebrities swear by (st tropez, fake bake, and currently my fave xen tan) Now this is def. one of the best out there, esp. for the price!!!! I like that it looks very natural, no streaking, and doesn't wear off patchy. It gives me a nice golden brown color. Im considering switching back to this because of how pricey xen tan is. :( That stuff truly has the best color of any self tanner ever created!! I can keep layering it on without ever looking bad and fake! And Im pale as a ghost!! So my only drawback to the banana boat it that too many applications and it can look orange. I also found that pretty much with any self tanner, if the outside weather has an overcast, it will look a bit obvious and slightly orange (only very slightly so don't get scared). It's the only lighting though that Ive experienced any "questionable color" (mostly to me though) , even with my xen tan. Like I said, Im a true self tanning junkie and notice every little detail about self tanners. Other than that, I highly recommend this self tanner and for only $6 at walmart, you def. can't go wrong!! My self tanning tips: ALWAYS exfoliate. Don't moisturize before a self tanner! Some of the ingredients could cause the self tanner to go orange! It's why not all self tanners are created equally! Wash off between applications, use very carefully around hands and feet, elbows and knees (try using a spray formula or a cotton ball or makeup sponge to apply to these areas) also do use a cream or lotion on the knees, elbows, knuckles to avoid to much self tanner absorbing into these areas ( but only use cream on these areas not the whole body!). The hands and feet can be a dead give away to a self tan so be extra careful so know body knows you have a fake bake! Also, I personally prefer to use self tanner on my face as well (not a "face tanner" since they are too light and after you wash your face, most of it is gone!) just wash your face after and your left with a nice color and glow without it being too dark and again, a give away to a fake tan! Remember behind your ears too! Also, what I like to do to is apply a self tanner heavier on areas that naturally would get darker (like on the shoulders, top of arms) to also really get the most believable fake tan ever! Make sure you moisturize while the self tanner is fading (to help it fade naturally) and exfoliate after about three days(again to help with natural fading) Also, use gloves! This avoids any staining that typically will happen no matter how much you wash your hands (unless you use bleach, which i DO NOT recommend for obvious reasons!) I use vinyl gloves (can be bought at walmart in the same aisle as the contact lens stuff) not latex since latex "grabs" the self tanner and can make it harder to rub the self tanner in. This may sound like a lot to you newbies, but if you really want to look tanned (without the damaging that real tanning causes!!) this is totally worth it! I am naturally extremely white (no one believes me since they always see me with my self tanner on and no one ever believes me that its because of my self tanner than I'm tan! I swear on everything I love! ) But if you feel that with one application it is too dark, just simply wash off, and you should be left with subtle and believable color! I hope these tips help anyone out there avoid tanning beds and the sun (tanning beds are actually much more dangerous then the sun because of the different combination of rays and is causing melanoma for many women!!(even young teenage girls!!!!) Many health insurance companies are now listing tanning beds on their history applications for new patients due to the high risk of skin cancer!! please be smart ladies!! Im willing to bet my life on it that one day, tanning beds are going to be illegal in some states and def. illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to use since using tanning beds before the age of 30 increases the chance for melanoma by 75%!! scary!)

This product is great! It gives a very natural tanned look, the way your skin would look if you had been tanning in the real sun and does NOT smell offensive. I had been searching for quite some time for a self-tanner that did not reek of that "self-tanner smell" (you know the smell I'm talking about!). This product is actually rather pleasant smelling, IMO. Another plus of this self-tanner is that you can really control how dark you want to go. If you want a very subtle tan, just apply it once or twice a week, if you would like to go darker, apply it more frequently. There also was zero streaking. I really think this product is impossible to mess up! I would HIGHLY recommend this self-tanner to EVERYONE! It's reassuring to be able to find such a high quality self-tanner, at such a low cost, and also, such a healthy alternative to baking your precious skin in the sun or a tanning bed!

on 4/29/2010 12:23:00 AM

Bought this product after reading review on MA. I naturally have a medium complexion so I wasn't concerned about this tanner being too dark. In fact I think I may need two applications to achieve the color I want. It's a believable tan too, I don't notice any orange tint. Odor is not terrible like Jergens. Dried a little sticky to the touch but did not seem to rub off on my clothes. I exfoliated and moisturized prior to application, rubbing in in a circular motion and didn't get streaks. Consistency is not runny and the tube works for the product, nothing fancy but it works. I bought it at walmart for around 6 dollars. Overall I will def. be buying this product again.

on 4/26/2010 11:00:00 PM

So I hardly ever write reviews but I feel I had to on this self tanner. I have to say that if you are wanting to look like you just got back from the beach, this is the stuff. After one application I was quite dark even on my somewhat pale skin. I even had to wear a darker foundation after one application. Surprisingly the smell isn't that bad. There are alot of other self tanners out there that smell way worse. The downside of this lotion, for me, is the application for my feet and hands. Because it is so dark, without careful application, your feet and hands will look super odd. The first time I used it I looked like I had tan sleeves. lol Also wash your hands half way through application. This prevented orange fingers. Overall the color is great and streak free. I will continue to use this product very carefully though.

Top Rated Banana Boat Products