April 17, 2014 | 1886 users online

Makeup Brushes - E.L.F. - Total Face Brush

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 10/13/2012 12:17:00 AM More reviews by lauraruth

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have little to say about this brush, The only things I can say It scraches like CRAZY, and is painful to use. looks cheap, It has to little weight in the handle, and sheads like crazy. NEVER AGAIN!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2012 3:54:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

ELF's Essential Total Face Brush has "soft, caressing bristles that allow for soothing appilcation for facial and bronzing powders. The Total Face Brush features full, slightly tapered bristles to contour the face and help build gorgeous coverage as needed". Like all ELF Professional/Essential are tested by a "team of professional makeup artists" and are "ergonomically designed to fit perfectly into your hand and facilitate a flawless finish with every application". OK, cool, ELF. This brush is made of synthetic bristles and like just about all ELF products, is cruelty free and vegan friendly. This brush will run you only $1. I bought mine at Target, but ELF can also be found at select Big Lots, Kmarts, Walmarts, drugstores and dollar stores; as well as on the brand's website. The ELF Total Face Brush was made in China.
This brush came in a clear pouch with a brush guard, both can be kept for storage or travel purposes, but I tossed them. A cardboard insert is also included with a fair amount of brush and company info. The Total Face Brush is actually pretty large. The white lacquered wooden handle has the brush name written on it in silver lettering. The silver ferrule seems to be well attached to the thick handle, which is good because ELF's Essential/Professional line isn't exactly know for it's quality or stability. The reddish brown synthetic bristles are pretty long. This is brush isn't anywhere near as dense as it looks, when you run your fingers through it you'll notice that there are quite a few gaps. ELF's Total Face Brush is probably the most sparse face brush that I have. The bristles are not good quality, they feel very synthetic and are quite scratchy, certainly not soothing like the product description claims. I actually find this brush pretty irritating to use. The bristles splay a little around the circumference of the brush head, but it doesn't affect the overall shape of the brush. The shape is ok, pretty standard for a powder type brush, round, coming to a slight dome at the top. I find the bristles too long, making application hard to control. Despite it's fairly large size, the Total Face Brush has very little heft in the hand.
So lets talk a little more about application. To me, the ELF Total Face Brush only has one real use, to lightly dust on powders. It isn't dense or stiff enough to apply any colored product and blend it correctly. Don't even think about using this for liquid products. I haven't tried it, but experience/instinct tells me it would be an utter disaster. Not a very versatile brush, good thing it's cheap. I've only had this brush for a couple of weeks so I can't tell you whether or not it will stand the test of time. I've washed it twice though and it held up well so far. It dries quickly, doesn't shed more than a bristle or two and all the product comes out. The Total Face Brush can lose it's shape a little, but is easily reshaped after it dries.
ELF's Total Face Brush is not the multi-tasker it's cracked up to be. It only has one real use, and even then it's not very good at it. YOU HAD ONE JOB, BRUSH. The problem lies in the poor quality bristles. If they were softer and denser this brush could've been a hit. The Total Face Brush isn't a total fail, but it's close. I don't recommend it, even if it only costs a buck, it's not really worth it. I don't know if I'll even keep mine. I had to force myself to use it for review purposes, but otherwise I rarely reach for it. Who would voluntarily use a brush that kinda hurts though? I have several, much better face brushes that are still affordable. Skip the Total Face Brush.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/7/2012 8:04:00 PM More reviews by HelloDear

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This brush is so bad! It doesn't do a good job at picking up product. Doesn't blend things nicely. Feels scratchy on my skin. Sheds like crazy!! I used this brush only a few times and stopped and so I haven't gotten around to wash it yet to see how it is after washing. This brush sucked so I'm happy I only spent a dollar on this.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2012 1:17:00 PM More reviews by PanAm

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm actually surprised by all the negative reviews! I bought this brush back in 2008-2009 and didn't use it for awhile because I didn't use powder back then. Flash forward to this summer when I opened a powder sunscreen. I tried applying it with the puff it came with and of course that didn't work. I used my philosophy brushes which aren't that bad. These are soft, strong, and have never shed on me. I can use this one or the philosophy one and it doesn't make a difference. Both are nice and do the job! i wonder if its because my brush is older is why its different? I'll be wary if I have to replace it due to these reviews.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/7/2012 1:07:00 PM More reviews by LAURLAUR75

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this by accident...i meant to buy the elf studio flat top. it stayed in my linen closet for a while unused when i realized i bought the wrong brush. i tried it the other week for the first time and it broke! the brush came off the handle. also, the brush hairs hurt my face. they are so rough; not soft at all. pay the extra money for the elf studio flat top. it's worth it! i love that brush!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/7/2012 8:40:00 AM More reviews by katiecap

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I actually do not like this brush at ALL. It's hard and scratchy an feels so uncomfortable on your face, it does pick up product but why would you ever want to put it near your skin? Plus it sheds like crazy!!! Spend the few extra bucks and try the Studio Complexion Brush or Kabuki brush for applying powders on your face!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2012 11:09:00 PM More reviews by next1

Ummm so I cant really say that i've found a lot of uses for this as its extremely scratchy and sheds like mad. The hairs stick to my just applied foundation and it drives me nuts trying to get them off. The only use I have found for this was to blend out the line in my blush and bronzer as its great at moving powder OFF your face or moving it around your face. Would not recommend this for applying powder, foundation or blush you'd get more product on you clothes or in the air then you would on your face. Wouldnt buy again, even for a buck.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/3/2012 10:52:00 PM More reviews by Junwwu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This brush is very stiff and scratchy! It feels like coconut fiber rubbing on my face! However it did apply my powder blush and other powders, it just did it in the most uncomfortable way ever. It was only a buck, so I guess there's not much room for complaints, but it really is very scratchy. I guess if you're really strapped for cash and need something to apply powdery make-up with this will be pretty functional. Just don't expect any softness.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2012 7:54:00 PM More reviews by FlyLikeAG6

I wear liquid foundation and use this brush for a light dusting of powder. This brush is perfect just for that. I've had this one for about a year and it has held up very well - minimal shedding, no loose handle, etc. I take very good care of my brushes and since I only use this one lightly, I clean/shampoo it every week and so far, so good. The hairs on my brush have become softer with each cleaning. They're still not the softest, but for $1.00, what do you expect? I can see how you would give this brush low marks if attempting to use it for a heavier coverage with a powder foundation, though. It won't pick up a lot of product. If you need a face brush that applies a good amount of powder, I recommend spending the extra two bucks on the ELF Studio Powder Brush. But for me and my uses, this brush works just fine.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2012 7:43:00 PM More reviews by kikidoll27

No. Just...no. It's pokey and scratchy, and sheds like no other. I'm glad I got it for a dollar. It takes off my foundation if I try to set it with powder...I just don't like it.