October 24, 2014 | 1373 users online

Styling Products - Bumble & Bumble - Styling Creme

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2009 12:18:00 AM More reviews by arikabh

I love this super expensive hair product. It is irreplaceable to me though. I've got baby fine hair with a wave and just a bit of this before I blow dry adds thickness and a bit off kick to my ends. This in combo with Defrizz serum from this line is my magical mix for good hair. I feel really confident that my hair looks it's best with this stuff and I will always buy this. I recommend this to anyone who uses heat on their hair or even people who dont that just want a bit of texture without having to do anything. This thickens hair and gives it a bit of volume at the roots. It adds body to your hair while giving it a bit of hold. Love it!!!!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2009 6:35:00 PM More reviews by mzcali4nia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love the hold this product gives. It helps to put this at the crown of my hair before I blow dry to give it volume and actually stays throughout the day. If I don't wash my hair the next day I just have to use my hands to give it lift and it stays! I wish I had known about this product sooner! It's pricey but worth it. A little goes a long way.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2009 4:39:00 PM More reviews by sailorj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this product when I am setting my hair or need it to look refined for a night out. It's what I would imagine an old school setting lotion to be...gives a bit of volume and a lot of control when I blow out my curly hair. I don't use this everyday, only for special occasions. I feel like it would be drying to use all the time. Helps hold a curl when you layer with other products. Before Bb introduced products specifically for curls, they told you to mix this 50/50 with grooming creme as a styling product to put into curly hair, and it works beautifully that way as well (applied wet or to define when dry).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2009 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Kat_rocks

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

This is defiantly HG quality. I have very very fine shoulder length red hair. It adds so much volume ! But without the stiffness, hard to comb-ness, hard to restyle-ness, and the weird crispy-ness. I used this in my wet/damp hair and blow-dried my hair with my head upside down and BAM.. it looks like I went to the salon for a professional blowout.

The smell is nice. I've smelled better and worse. Its nothing special.
It leaves my hands a little sticky... but amazingly not my hair.
The only con I see for this product, is the PRICE. I get that really good products tend to be really expensive, but I still get bummed out for forking over 25 dollars. :[

I will defiantly be buying this again. Despite the pricetag.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/14/2009 2:24:00 AM More reviews by sunkissedgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've finally found a product that works like a dream on my curly hair. B&b Styling Creme is the only product that I need to style my hair. It is light and non-sticky but it provides great hold and volume without the nasty feeling of other styling creams I've tried. The scent is very light and fresh. This is also great for the days I straighten my hair. It really does everything. I can finally stop wasting my money trying other products. I will never try another product again!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2009 11:10:00 PM More reviews by word2bird

i have been a bumble & bumble junkie for about 5 years now. ever since i graduated from college and could somewhat afford this stuff, i've been using it.

i have dark, thick, coarse, wavy/curly that is pretty long. because my hair is quite heavy, the roots tend to get weighed down easily. this product and ghd fat hair lotion work miracles on my hair. one might think, she already has thick wavy hair, why would she want more volume. well, there's nothing worse than hair that is bottom heavy and flat on top.

anyway, i actually like this better than the ghd fat hair lotion, but the ghd stuff comes in at second and is a bit cheaper, so i will alternate.

as most b&b devotees know, their products are meant to be layered and used with other products depending on the results you want. i don't use this styling creme alone. i usually start with a silicone based product such as defrizz, fredric fekkai gloss, or even frizz ease, then i add this styling creme, then finish it off with the curl conscious creme.

this has a matte feel to it which can be a little strange, but it really adds volume. this is a must have for me and i've been using it for over 3-5 years.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2009 7:59:00 PM More reviews by Fleet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

To preface this review, I am a stylist who's been using Bb products personally since long before I went to hair school. It's the only product line that I trust, and I've used every popular brand there is, both on myself and clients. I don't think every Bb product is perfect, but this line is the closest thing to perfection I've found in all my trials.

This is the first Bb product I became hooked on. It is indispensable. Long or shot, this product works. The more you use, the better the hold, and it doesn't feel sticky or gunky as pretty much every other similar hair product I've used does. You're left with clean volume and control.

Many people have trouble with the Bb line because they don't understand the philosophy and are used to low performance products. This might sound contradictory, but let me explain. Bb did not start as a consumer product company. The products are made for session and editorial stylists, and later became available to the public. Most products on drug store and salon shelves are the other way round. Consumers demand different things from their products than professionals. Pro stylists need consistent, reliable results and flexibility. Let's say you need to get volume in the hair, but the model's hair is oily and dense. If you used Bedhead Cocky on her, you'd get volume and shine for about 5 minutes, but it would fall because it's greasy. Styling Creme is for volume and control only. If you want shine, you use Bb Shine in the finishing stage, or mix it with Brilliantine (another excellent product).

In short, each Bb product does one or two things well, and are meant to be mixed or layered for individual results. Stylists want to be able to tailor their products to each model or client. Consumers might be expecting more because they don't know this isn't the same sort of product they're used to, made for mass consumption, promising to do it all and not delivering. If your hair is left dry, try Leave In conditioner under, or use Prep or Tonic for more moisture. Use Straight for straightening. Etc.

Unfortunately, due to an ingredient in Styling Creme that was deemed harmful for the environment by the state of California, Bb had to change this formula in 2007. It does not hold nearly as well. I know this from using it constantly for 5 or 6 years prior to the change. They say it works better according to their stylists but everyone I've talked to disagrees. I now have to use Thickening Spray (also recently reformulated, now Thickening Hairspray) to get the same oomph I had before. My stylist, a Bb salon owner, says that she was told they're changing the formula again due to complaints. I hope this is true. It does not work the same and that is very disappointing for my favorite Bb product. If you agree, I encourage you to contact Bb and complain. They will have to change if enough customers do so.

As for the smell complaints, I simply do not understand how people can think it smells bad or like glue. I don't get that at all. Scent has never been a deciding factor for me in using a product unless it's absolutely terrible. This, like other Bb products, simply has a fresh, clean, almost green smell, like crisp vegetables. It's very faint and does not linger on the hair. If you bought your product anywhere but a Bb salon or from the website you could likely have a defective, old product. Diversion is a huge problem, so stop supporting it.

Compare this to Toni and Guy products (another line I'm very familiar with) and there is a huge difference. Like I said before, powerful fragrance is simply an unnecessary ingredient meant to get you to buy the product. Every TiGi product I've ever used (almost all of them) again and again have been greasy, have this wacky candy smell and come in a goofy package that fails and leaks. It's a gimmick, people. Every one of their products make the hair fall flat within 30 minutes in my experience. I've used them on myself and many clients in the past. It's crappy, consumer-driven sludge, like the McDonalds of hair products, popular but horrible. I don't want to feel product in my hair. I want to run my fingers through it. I want my products to work. I don't want to smell like bubble gum. If you want your hair products to replace your perfume or make your bathroom counter look more colorful, enjoy. Bb is no-nonsense. Packaging works, product works, no screwing around. If it's not working for you, that's fair, but consider you may not know what you're doing with it, or that you need to be mixing it with something else to get the results you want. There are mixing guides and recommendation, as well as helpful video, on the Bb website.

As for the expense, I don't buy products that don't work. You can buy 10 drugstore mousses for the same price but that's quantity over quality. Why waste money on cheap stuff when you're just going to be disappointed? This is reasonable because it lasts a long time for me (3-5 months) and I know it works.

Edit: I want to reiterate on this already way-too-long review that this is, even reformulated, still the best structure product I've ever used, and use it almost daily on myself. This with Prep underneath is the perfect blow out combo for my A-line bob. Healthy, clean, no fuss.

45 out of 48 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2009 1:41:00 PM More reviews by tweetiebird

I love this product! I've been using it for a month on my new textured bob cut and it's great. My hair is stick straight and flat normally... with this, I get amazing shape and volume that actually lasts all day! Seriously, this is great stuff and easy to apply onto damp hair. It's a bit pricey at $32ish Cdn a bottle, but I'm definitely buying this again if I'm keeping this type of cut.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2009 10:38:00 PM More reviews by princessgracie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product! My other review didn't post for some reason, so I will redo- I love it that much! This stuff is great for my growing out phase. It is almost one length, and a chin length bob. My hair is fine yet thick. Love the fresh scent and there are no flakies in my hair that some products can do. Will repurchase, as I am on bottle three-or four.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2009 9:22:00 PM More reviews by Marysmacstyle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this product! I have used it for years now, Im also a hairstylist so I use it on my clients. My hair is very fine and sometime it just needs some extra grip to hold my style when I blow dry! Use about a nickle (mixed between palms then distributed) on crown for extra lift and pull throughout for extra grip hold, not recommended if you dont blow dry! If you have a little bit of thicker hair or like a beachy gritty texture use a bit more! One of the best from Bumble!