September 19, 2014 | 1809 users online

Pressed Powders - Tarte - Provocateur Mineral Powder

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2008 6:36:00 PM More reviews by GraceQ

Overall, not a bad pressed powder. I bought this in light, which looked too light for my NC30-35 skin, but knowing that powders set darker (esp. mineral powders), I grabbed the lightest one and its a little paler than I would typically pick, but I add some bronzer and its ok (I wish they had a shade between light and medium). The package is a cute dark purple magnetic case, but the powder pot actually falls out quite easily (-1 lippie). I also don't really care for the dual compartment (powder on top, sponge on bottom) because with the magnetic clasp, it gets kinda clumsy (or maybe that's just me! Still, -1 lippie). As for the powder itself, it gives a lovely matte finish w/o caking (like sooo many mineral powders) or over-drying (I have combination-dry skin). So for a mineral powder, its quite light and can be used as a finishing powder over foundation w/o being excessively heavy. The matteness doesn't last too long for my t-zone, so I have to reapply 2-3 times throughout the day, but it doesn't cake or flake, so I don't mind.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/16/2008 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Azula

Has anyone actually read the box? It says it has "a blend of plant derived emollients including COCONUT OIL", and then, one line after, it states " paraben free, OIL FREE..."
What??????? Then, if you read the ingredients list, there's no coconut oil listed. But it does have oil. I am combination skin, and this thing left me dripping oil two hours after application, something that no other powder does to me (PX flawless, EM semi matte, Diorskin, Revlon colorstay)...
Besides, the powder is cheap. I used it like three times and the powder lost its fine miled appearance, now it looks pasty and uneven colored. This freaking brand is driving me crazy, I like its appearance, but it just won't deliver!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2008 5:29:00 PM More reviews by cathycus

I think this is it - my HG pressed powder. I like wearing really light makeup so I'm more of a TM and powder kind of girl, and I've fallen in love with this one! Thanks, Makeup Alley for all the reviews that made me try this. I was about ready to give up on mineral makeup - a friend had recommended Everyday Minerals, but their supposedly light foundations broke me out so much, that I was ready to swear it off. I have medium olive skin, and the medium shade was perfect for me. I usually put on some TM and then brush this on over that, and I don't even need to retouch throughout the day. Best of all, my skin remains clear, and I've had no breakots since. Great product!

Edit: I spoke too soon, and I am now eating my words. I am taking two lippies off. This was great for the first month or so, and then I started breaking out big time! I couldn't figure out what it was, I tried omitting one product, then another one, and then I stopped using this, and my breakouts started clearing up. I am now thinking that maybe mineral makeup really doesn't agree with my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2008 1:23:00 PM More reviews by kelseyblair

I have mixed feelings about this powder....I LOVE the formula, but (like Smooth Operator), the color match isn't very good for me. I bought it in Light, and even though it's sheer, it's just a little too yellow for me at the moment (works a little better when I self-tan). My MAIN problem is the compact! When this product first came out, it came in a refillable, ADORABLE, thin, purple, metal compact....Now it's in that big, bulky leatherette thing (which you pay a lot for, obviously). I took a knife and popped the powder out of the big one and put it in the nice metal one. :) I just hate that they don't sell refills!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2008 9:50:00 PM More reviews by mustangsuz00

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this powder! I tried many pressed powders and most of them fell into my pores or accentuated lines around my eyes. This didn't! It was smooth with no pores or lines! It left a clean canvas finish to apply my blush, eyeshadow and bronzer. I will keep using.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2008 2:41:00 PM More reviews by JC1976

I like the compact this powder comes in. Otherwise, I sort of hate it. It's very very sheer, so I can't wear it as a foundation, which was my goal. The sponge is terrible. The powder is chalky. It makes me mourn my beloved EI Perfect Powder even more, and that one was way more expensive. The only way I can get a decent application is with a powder brush so I can't really carry it around for "daily touch ups." I hate loose powder so I had high hopes for this compact but it wasn't meant to be.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/29/2008 5:38:00 PM More reviews by rhorner79

I love this powder on many levels (the adorable packaging, the mineral formula, fact that it doesn't oxidize on my face), but why must it cost so much? More to the point, I am willing to pay for the cute purple compact the first time-- but why don't they make these refillable??? I'm very torn on the repurchase of this, even though I do like the product very much.
The sponge it comes with sort of sucks, so I'd suggest replacing that.
I think this is a little orange/yellow on me (I bought the second lightest shade), but the lightest one was just wayyyy too light. So this might be a better color for me in the summer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2008 7:09:00 PM More reviews by SuzyCutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Bought this for touch ups-I wear Alima but I get horribly shiny in the T zone as the day wears on,so I wanted a mineral based powder to blot with.This is lovely,sheer and blends in well.I'm NC20 and wear this in light.
The packaging-not so much love for that.The powder was ready to pop out anyway,so I decided to see if it would fit in another compact,and it DOES! It fits the MAC beauty powder and Blot compacts perfectly,so it fits a whole lot easier in my handbag.
Definitely use a kabuki to apply-I have the Tarte to go brush.The sponge applicator is useless.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2008 11:09:00 AM More reviews by emilee317

I used to use BE as my foundation, and found that it was a little messy and by the afternoon I was shiny. So I marched into Sephora and asked for something similar, just more practical and she pointed me in the direction of this product! I love it! I use my BE brush to avoid yucky bacteria from the sponge and coverage is fantastic, lasts longer than BE does, and I just love it. FYI - I have normal to sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2007 8:36:00 PM More reviews by innocent420

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Like other reviewrs, I bought this to touch up throughout the day (I use BE most days). I LOVE this powder! It is so natural looking, and when used to touch up my BE, it gives the most flawless, fresh finish. On days I want lighter coverage, this powder is beautiful....in fact, I may stop using the BE altogether. Never thought I'd say that! A note of caution: When first applied, this seemed to accentuate drier places, but after a few minutes, it gives that natural, healthy glow we have come to expect from mineral makeup.