October 25, 2014 | 929 users online

Top/Base Coats - Nailtek - Foundation II - Ridge-filling

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2010 3:53:00 PM More reviews by DiyaSpade

This is my HG! Ever since using this, my nails have gotten much stronger, they dont break all the time, and polish doesnt chip either. It lasts and lasts until I get tired of my mani and take it off. This is a real miracle worker. I just wish I was able to find a bigger bottle of this stuff since I go through a bottle so quickly. This costs me $6.50 CND per bottle, but its really worth it. I would highly reccommend this product to whoever has weak, chippy, peely, breakable nails.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2009 11:26:00 AM More reviews by MariellaFromBe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have never been a fan of base coats, well actually I am a bit lazy and couldn't be bothered.
But I was tired of having to remove my polishes like every 2 days because of chipping, so I gave Seche Vite top coat a try. Not really working.

Then, as my nails were quite in bad condition and more prone to breaking than ever, I decided to give base coats a chance. I kind of randomly picked this one because I read in the description that it would fill the nails surface, which I need, and help prevent breakage. And well, I am amazed by the results!
- it dries really quickly so I don't have to wait too long before applying the polish
- it really creates a smooth base
- I then apply a first coat of polish and the Nailtek Foundation barely changes its aspect
- I then apply a second coat and then Seche Vite top coat.

And well I must say that it's the first time my nailpolish ever stayed decent for 3 days. I could even have done little touch ups on the minor chipping and a 4th day wouldn't have been a problem.
Since this hadn't worked before with only 2 coats of polishes + top coat, my conclusion is that Nailtek Foundation made the difference, and I will definitely keep on using it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2009 5:11:00 PM More reviews by ChristmasMom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this product as a base coat. I use it every time I do a manicure or color change. It dries quickly and leaves a fine milky base on the nail. My personal routine is such: Apply NailTek Foundation II, apply OPI Nail Envy, apply Orly Bonder, apply Color, then apply Seche Vite. This seems to be the only routine that makes my nails strong. I like the companion product, NailTek II Intensive Therapy, but I usually only use it if I am keeping a color on for multiple days. If I am keeping a color on, I use the Intensive Therapy, but, in general, I change color every day or other day so I never get around to needing Intensive Therapy. I buy the larger economy size of Foundation II and decant it into a smaller bottle for convenience. Recommend.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2009 6:40:00 AM More reviews by TheHybred

This makes an excellent base coat. It goes on smoothly and dries fairly quickly. It is a little pricey, smells strong, and the cap is made of really cheap plastic, thus the 4 lippies. I would repurchase, and I suggest you find this online for the best price.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2009 8:38:00 PM More reviews by cobre1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a great filler. I bought it after several youtubers recommended it as a basecoat. It met my expectations, it worked out great as a filler, leaving a smooth surface for the nailpolish to adhere to. It was around $10/bottle, but I think it is worth the money. I saw it advertised on some other websites for about 1/2 the price (not including the shipping)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2009 3:36:00 PM More reviews by MAIMAII

Like the reveiwer below, I have started using this as a matte top coat! It works just as well as the Essie Matte top coat and I dont have to buy anything new, plus it will strengthen my nails whilst giving them the oh-so-this-season matte look! As i am typing I have You Don't Know Jacques on both hands, one hand with seche vite and the other with NailTek on top, that hand looks luuuuuush!! I <3 it! (im going to put the nail tek on the other hand in a sec)

As for its intended use as a strengthener/base coat, I bounce between using this and OPI Nail Envy, so can't really comment as to which works best, as i cant tell which product the result has come from, but my nails are looking the best they ever have! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2009 10:43:00 PM More reviews by Ayiti

HIGHLY recommend: hardens nails and keeps them from peeling when used (don't think it actually imparts anything into the nail to harden permanently).

A surprise feature of this already great product is that it doubles as a matte top coat. When I want a matte finish to an otherwise non-matte lacquer, I do the following:

-2 coats Foundation II
-2-3 coats of the chosen lacquer
-1 coat of Seche Vite (which is normally highly glossy)
-1 coat of Foundation II

Even over Seche Vite, it dries to a lovely,smooth matte finish. I love how I don't have to spend money on a separate top coat to get that matte finish that's all the rage this fall. But don't worry; as a base coat alone, it won't effect or compromise the finish of lacquers used over it.

Outstanding multi-use product, and highly effective!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2009 6:42:00 AM More reviews by KarmAttack

Makes my nails very hard, stops peeling and splitting - overall this is a Godsend! I get asked all the time now if my nails are fake and it's largely thanks to this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2009 2:24:00 AM More reviews by msgenie516

This is one great product! I had just about given up any hope of having long, strong natural nails until I tried this. I was really looking for a good base coat to make my polish last longer when I came across this, as I really don't have noticeable ridges. My manicures are lasting a little longer, as they usually only went to the second day before getting chipped. Now I have gone up to four days (not great, but very good for me) before I start seeing chips.

I did notice, though, that the areas where I thought I applied the product too thickly were not yet chipped. I don't know if you're supposed to do this, but on my last manicure, I applied three coats of the Foundation II to see if that helps. It looks like it might, as I am on the second day and even when inspecting my nails with a magnifying glass (I know that's nutty, but it helps me to see what's going on) I cannot see any surface cracking or crazing, which I always noticed on the second day.

But what really impressed me was that I noticed how my nails are actually growing and not peeling. I've been using this for about a month and not one nail has broken. I am so excited about this that I can't stop telling people about it. My daughter, who has acrylic nails and really dislikes what they have done to her real nails, is thinking about letting her real nails grow in because she is simply amazed at how good mine look. I'm amazed, too! :)

I have really gained confidence in Nailtek products and I have just started using Nailtek Intensive Therapy II in conjunction with this product. I am anxious to see if this will improve my nails even faster. Perhaps this will extend the life of my manicures, as I am now using it as a theraputic top coat every night. Since this is not a fast drying top coat, I have been using Sally Hansen Insta-Dri drops with it, which helps but I still feel I have to allow additional time for my nails to dry before going to bed. But it is worth the extra time and effort because now I'm proud to show off my much longer, smooth nails! I did try the Nailtek drying drops but they actually didn't seem to work as well as the Sally Hansen.

I did forget to mention that after applying the Nailtek Foundation II, your nails have a very matte appearance. But after two coats of polish, they are as shiny as can be with an incredibly slick surface! Also, the product does tend to get "goopy" after a while. Mine thickened up about 1/4 down (the bottle is marked) but I added a few drops of polish thinner and it was good to go!

Okay, there is one down side.... I have been spending an AWFUL lot of money on new nail polishes because now I just LOVE my nails and have even started enjoying doing my manicures! I used to HATE doing manicures because no matter what I did, my nails never looked any good. But that is one down side I can EASILY live with!

I didn't deduct any lippies for the product getting thick, as it is easily fixed and it is an unbelieveably good remedy for weak nails.

FYI, not that this is important but when I read the information on the box of the Foundation II, I discovered that the Nailtek company is located on the next block from my house. And I thought NOTHING was made in this little town!

UPDATE: Still love this stuff and swear by it, but I noticed my beloved Borghese polishes do not glide over this easily. You can still do a manicure with them but the first coat needs to be heavier than normal, not something I'm too happy about. When I loaded my brush with the usual amount of polish (the same that I use with OPI or even ProStrong polishes that I got from QVC), the brush actually got "stuck" and wouldn't distribute the polish over the remainder of the nail. So I had to add polish to cover the nail and I used more on the next one, which worked. The second coat went on easily, so I believe there is a problem with the Borghese formula not being able to get past the texture of the NailTek Foundation II. So I will probably be using my Borghese polishes sparingly, unless I find that they last much longer than the others. The next few days should tell me that. Just thought you would like to know.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2009 5:10:00 PM More reviews by HelloKinky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great product. It fills ridges making polish go on smoothly without buffing. It also strengthens nails and prevents staining. A must have for any manicure kit.