Chanel Cristalle

3.8

on 7/28/2009 10:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Chypre is my favorite aroma. There is something about it that just moves me.

I wore this in my late 20s and then developed terrible allergies and had to do away with perfume. Several years (and allergist appointments), I am slowly incorporating fragrance back in my life and enjoying it.

I began going through the massive list of fragrances I used to wear - some made me laugh (Sun, Moon and Stars), some made me cry (Deci Dela) and some took my breath away. Chanel Cristalle took my breath away. I remembered the wonderful spray oil Chanel made in this fragrance and I remembered GOOD times in my life.

I like to walk in a room and turn heads in a very discrete way - "look the woman in the black dress and pearls" or "there is something about her" and Cristalle does that.

It is not a stand up and take notice perfume. It isn't a stomp your feet and make a scene but if you've inhaled it...you remember it. Just like me...

on 6/10/2009 10:09:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

This is another of the only two scents I can tolerate from the Chanel fragrance line [I find the others too strong, thus nauseating]. It's a crisp, clean scent with notes of citrus that gives it an energizing feel. Would've wanted a bottle of EDT for myself, however, its price is far too expensive for my taste, thus I'll just enjoy its scent on other people for now. Hahaha.

on 5/5/2009 11:17:00 AM

I have wanted to wear this ever since I read Wonder Boys--the transvestite in that one wears Cristalle. (EDIT: I notice now that this was also slightly referenced below--although I didn't realize it had been made into a film. Hm!) Cristalle sounds like a lovely fragrance; however, Cristalle is weird. It doesn't smell to me like what a transvestite would wear, nor is it uplifting or freshly sexy or happy. To me this smells very clinical, very harsh, very chemical and somewhat sour. It's an overwhelming fragrance (perhaps this larger-than-life, hello-I-am-wearing-fragrance quality that comes with one spritz of Cristalle is what inspired Michael Chabon to assign it to a tranny) but regardless, this smelled offensive on me. After it had a couple hours to settle down it calmed into a not so in-your-face version of Raid. I haven't yet come across any Chanels that I particularly enjoy, but Cristalle is by far the one that has provoked the strongest negative reaction.

Notes: Mandarin, Peach, Lily of the Valley, Sicilian Lemon, Bergamot; Jasmine, Iris, Rosewood, Hyacinth; Vetiver, Oakmoss

continued >>

on 4/16/2009 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've always loved Chanel frangrances and have them used almost exclusively for many, many years. I love Allure, Allure Sensuelle, No 5, Eau Premier, Coco, No. 19, some boutique fragrances... pretty much any of their fragrances just not Coco Mademoiselle. Well, Cristalle is one my top favourite fragrances. While I orginally bought and wore Cristalle many, many years ago, once Allure came out I shelved it. After being faithful to Allure for many years (it is still my HG), I just realized that too many women around me (especially at work) have started wearing it and I can't stand wearing the same fragrance in such a close surrounding. I decided to shelve that one for a bit and since I am not into the sweety/ultra-fruity fragrances of the present, I went back to sniff my "oldies" section of my fragrance closet... The two "winners" that came out were Cristalle and No. 19 and I've been wearing them interchangeably without a break for several months now. I use Cristalle EDP as I find it just a lot more complex and longer-staying than the EDT, and although I bought EDT as well, I ended up exchanging it for a bottle of EDP. I like Cristalle because aside from being a beautiful fragrance, it is fairly a unique one (just like Allure is which is why I love it) and you just know when you smell it that it's Cristalle.
BTW, every time I put Cristalle on, I remember the movie Wonder Boys and this dialogue:

[Sara smells Antonia's perfume on Grady's clothes]
Sara Gaskell: Is that Cristalle?
Grady Tripp: Mm.
Sara Gaskell: My God, I wear the same scent as a transvestite.

[Grady Tripp is played by Michael Douglas and Sara Gaskell by Frances McDormand]

:-))))))))))

on 3/1/2009 5:50:00 PM

Chanel Cristalle is a fresh chypre that seems to be polarizing. It's not a "meh" scent; it's a love it or hate it fragrance. I seem to be one of the few who likes the EDP and EDT versions. This was my very first grown-up perfume and I've worn it since the seventies.My best friend in high school said it smelled like an ashtray, but a high school boyfriend liked to let me wear his letter jacket so it would smell like me (like Cristalle, really).

If you like Cristalle, you might also like Eau de Rochas, Eau de Hadrien, Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Vert, and Libertine by Vivienne Westwood. If you don't like Cristalle, you might like the other perfumes instead, because, although they are chypres, Cristalle doesn't have any close kin.

on 2/11/2009 3:27:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

got a decant in a swap
i don't know much about perfumes
i didn't like this at all
smelt soapy at first..then spicy
i can imagine how some would like this though

on 2/3/2009 7:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

One of my favorites from Chanel. Crisp, green, refreshing and heady at the same time. I get energized when i wear it. It's not an everyday fragrance, but I especially like it when I'm dressed in a simple white shirt and jeans.

on 1/26/2009 11:24:00 PM

Another one I wanted to like, but can't. I had a bottle years ago and ended up throwing it out. Recently I was given another bottle. The scent still reminds me of an ash tray.

on 1/25/2009 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

I have been wearing this scent since I was 16 it was my first scent that I wore. I remember seeing the ad in vogue and I said this is the one! I love it! I still wear it to this day! I just love it I smell it and it just reminds me of ME!! I have worn a few scents since then but I always come back to this one...

on 1/25/2009 2:28:00 PM

Cerebral, refined, feminine, yes but a bit remote. This is precisely what I adore about this fragrance (the EDP), but it is not for every mood or occasion. It sends a message and the message is, 'I know you want to approach me because you find me interesting, but don't bother me right now because I'm thinking of something else.' I don't really feel that this is the best choice for a romantic occasion but it's perfect for going to an art gallery, concert, elegant lunch with your chic-est friend, esp. in the springtime.

Popular Fragrances